PDA

View Full Version : *** OFFICIAL *** Over .500 and heading home POST-GAME WINNER THREAD

doublem23
04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Booooooooooooooooooo ya

vinny
04-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Nice to see some run support for Danks. Bullpen did its job too.

Can we officially bring out the brooms?

:sweep:sweep

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
3-2 road trip, with three games in Texas? I will take that all day and twice on Thursdays.

I'm liking the Konerko-AJ combo.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Can't remember last time we were over .500 Feels good. :bliss:

SoxSpeed22
04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Over .500, didn't think this would happen all year. Danks wasn't that good after the 2nd, but at least the offense picked him up, which is a nice change of pace from last year. The pen made it interesting, but they didn't give up runs.
On to the home opener.

JB98
Pierzynski and De Aza have joined Konerko in the "swinging the bats well" club.

I still think Dunn looks good at the plate, too. Got a couple knocks and an RBI today.

cbone
We'll take it! There couldn't have been more than 500 people at that game.

BringBackBlkJack
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/0/0a/Feelsgoodmangreen.jpg

Madvora
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I am definitely enjoying this.

doublem23
04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Can't remember last time we were over .500 Feels good. :bliss:

Surprisingly September 11, 2011

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2011-schedule-scores.shtml#145

Crestani
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
I like Konerko having AJ to protect him....Leave him in the 5th hole..!!

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I was stuck in a never ending meeting at work, and was pleasantly shocked when a fellow Sox fan approached me and told me we were up 10-4. With Masterson going against us I thought we'd have to win a 2-1, 3-2 type of game.

Good deal, puts me in a brighter mood heading to the opener on Friday knowing that we can actually score runs on occasion.

guillensdisciple
04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
We're not 68 wins si prediction bad- I can't predict much, but from the looks of de Aza, viciedo, paulis, we might be pretty good this year- .500 might not be far fetched. We'll see how we match up against the tigers.

thomas35forever
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Could have been an easier win, but I'll take 3 of 5 on this road trip. I'll also take a few more homers from De Aza this year.

LITTLE NELL
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I know its early but I have a feeling this team will contend all year.

doublem23
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Could have been an easier win, but I'll take 3 of 5 on this road trip. I'll also take a few more homers from De Aza this year.

Thank god we stuck with Juan Pierre all of last season.

ChiSoxGal85
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I like Konerko having AJ to protect him....Leave him in the 5th hole..!!
I agree; I still believe that Morel will eventually handle that #2 spot more effectively. Love the job hitters did today w/ RISP. DeAza has really hit the ball hard.

Trivia: on the post-game show Garfien pointed out that the homers hit so far this season by the Sox are all by players with first name beginning with "A". Alexei, you're next, even if it is 40 degrees on Friday. :D:

kittle42
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Gentle reminder that the Mets were 4-1 entering play today. Let's not quite bury the prognosticators yet.

That said, let's kill the ****ing Tigers this weekend!

russ99
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank god we stuck with Juan Pierre all of last season.

Homers are nice, but we need a good all-around season from our leadoff guy.

DeAza has been up and down so far. 2 homers are a plus, but his lack of walks and one steal vs. a pickoff + CS aren't.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Tough conditions to pitch in today but the Sox made some big pitches at the right time to keep this one under control.

Nice to see the bats come alive.

Can't ask for a much better start to the season. Now come home, give the Tigers a loss and then pound Baltimore.

Lip

TheOldRoman
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2011-schedule-scores.shtml#145 Yeah, as miserable as last season was, the Sox were within a few games of .500 on either side for most of the year. The Tigers went on a big run right as the Sox went into their September swoon, but they were within reach for most of the year. It made the year that much more frustrating because Rios and Dunn hitting their career averages probably gives that team at least ten more wins.

As for today, I didn't even realize we played a day game. Glad we won!

Dibbs
04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Feels good to just enjoy watching baseball without the distractions. The organization is headed in the right direction.

kittle42
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM

It's been a few seasons since we've gotten that.

JB98
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM

DeAza has been up and down so far. 2 homers are a plus, but his lack of walks and one steal vs. a pickoff + CS aren't.

De Aza on his worst day is still better than Pierre because he can actually play the outfield.

The Philadelphia fans are already upset about teams taking extra bases on Pierre's arm. Cost them two runs the other day against the Marlins.

VenturaFan23
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Solid road trip. We'll take it!

doublem23
04-11-2012, 02:46 PM
It's been a few seasons since we've gotten that.

http://quages.com/images/11614-1.jpg
I'm free if you need me, guys.

kittle42
04-11-2012, 02:46 PM
The Philadelphia fans are already upset about teams taking extra bases on Pierre's arm. Cost them two runs the other day against the Marlins.

After seeing his name in the lineup 2-3 straight games, I had to see if Dusty Baker somehow switched jobs.

johnnyg83
04-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Any winning road trip that features Texas in it somewhere is a good road trip.

palehozenychicty
04-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I forgot about the early start myself. I'll take this start by the Good Guys. The conditions looked brutal in the highlights.

*On a side note, I didn't know that Hafner was still on their team. With all of his injuries since their last playoff run, I thought that he quit or was released. :o:

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Other than some sloppy defense- a nice overall afternoon- the "pop" De Aza is showing is a nice surprise- the most important thing is for the overall team to stay at/above .500 early on while they are still coming together as a group with a new manager, etc. to keep the pressure and media scrutiny to a minimum.

Get past the Tigers series and then make some hay vs. BAL/SEA/OAK-

palehozenychicty
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Any winning road trip that features Texas in it somewhere is a good road trip.

For real. Even when they were bad, that place always gave the Sox a problem.

doublem23
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I forgot about the early start myself. I'll take this start by the Good Guys. The conditions looked brutal in the highlights.

*On a side note, I didn't know that Hafner was still on their team. With all of his injuries since their last playoff run, I thought that he quit or was released. :o:

Hafner's still making $13 M a year. Last guranteed year, he has a $13 M team option for 2013 but more than likely the Tribe will be buying out that year for $2.75 M.

Woof, that was a rough deal for Cleveland.

LITTLE NELL
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Good news from Detroit, just watched the Rays come up with 4 runs in the 9th to beat the Tigers and Verlander 4-2.
Only a game out, lets come home and make a statement to Detroit that this will be a different year.

stl_sox_fan
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
To borrow a phrase from The Cardinals...Happy Flight!

Soxman219
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Feels good seeing a +.500 team with no distractions right now. Home opener Friday, let's go!:bandance:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2011-schedule-scores.shtml#145

I am surprised. Seemed like the middle of July.:scratch:
I think all of last year's drama affected us as well as the club. Maybe wishful thinking but they do seem looser.

infohawk
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking that the Sox can quietly hang around this year if their pitching and defense holds up. It will keep them in games, and if they can consistently scratch a few runs across the plate late in games, one never knows. For this team, winning tight games will likely be the difference between "around 500" and contention into September.

hawkjt
04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Good news from Detroit, just watched the Rays come up with 4 runs in the 9th to beat the Tigers and Verlander 4-2.
Only a game out, lets come home and make a statement to Detroit that this will be a different year.

Icing on the cake. Sox win,Tigers lose in an improbable fashion. Verlander had given up 1 hit thru 8, and was sailing along,then boom...battling Rays scrap together a rally! Maybe Verlanders magic pixie dust will blow away this year? Please.

DeAza and AJ have hit homers in the same inning twice now...go figure.
Against lefties,no less!

Great way to come into home opener. Peavy vs Scherzer...I do like the Sox matchups in this series,with Gavin(tiger beater) vs Wilks,and Sale vs Porcello.

Good to see Morel contribute even with an 0 for 3,with 3 runs scored. Should have gotten a hit with that first inning bunt,also.

AJ has not driven in many runs in recent years...fantastic start for him.
PK- Business as usual. Dunn...much better. Gordo hammered one off the wall..nice.
Dayan is hitting missiles.
Alexei? Kangaroo court time for forgetting how many outs with bases loaded and one out..he was swinging for the fences as usual,and strikes out when he should have been looking to make contact,then starts to throw his bat and helmet...clearly not aware of the outs..c'mon..

Umpire was squeezing pitchers all day,hence the walks and runs..for both sides.

Will O. off to his usual shaky start,but he did straighten up last year..again, it was a tough day to pitch due to the ump.

fram40
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I think all of last year's drama affected us as well as the club.

I wonder - certainly seems calm now that the real games have started.

I like ADA. Morel too. Altho 0-3 today, he scored 3 runs.

Let's take 2 from the Tigers.

Frontman
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Feels good to just enjoy watching baseball without the distractions. The organization is headed in the right direction.

Well said. Last night was the first time in years I was disappointed in a rain out, and that says something. It's been fun to be excited about White Sox baseball, and as Hawk pointed out today, Robin has instilled in the clubhouse a sense of positive and optimism. Even if they don't win jack this year, if the team remains positive and moves in the proper direction, its a good year.

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
as Hawk pointed out today, Robin has instilled in the clubhouse a sense of positive and optimism.

I thought Robin would be a good manager- and the early impression for me is he's 10X better than that- he seems confident, steady, decisive, creative- seems to be very cognizant of bringing along young players like Santiago/Reed/Jones and building team unity (hired a bus to take players interested to Easter services in Dallas, the team was headed over to the Rock n Roll Museum while they were in Cleveland)- and seems to bring a balanced perspective of a veteran player along with his new role as manager- I'm thrilled.

Tragg
04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Gentle reminder that the Mets were 4-1 entering play today. Let's not quite bury the prognosticators yet.

I'll bury the those who prognosticated 68 wins or 65 wins (that great talent scout, keith law).
Anyway, if the Tigers can't pitch, we have a shot....hitting gets into cold streaks - always doesn.

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Yep-remember in April 2007 when we thought we had a killer bullpen? Or last year's well played Opener at Cleveland?

But for the next 48 hours we're a .600 team- :gulp:

thomas35forever
04-11-2012, 04:28 PM
But for the next 48 hours we're a .600 team- :gulp:
We're a 97-win team! I know we are!

04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
The White Sox are not nearly as bad as some of the so called experts thought they would be.

The Tigers are not as good as those same experts predicted either.

I think this will be an interesting season.

Noneck
04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
and as Hawk pointed out today, Robin has instilled in the clubhouse a sense of positive and optimism.

This may be true but this coming from Harrelson means nothing considering he said the same kind of stuff about the previous regime till the bitter end.

kittle42
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Jumping to broad conclusions after 5 games is barely better than doing so before games are played.

cards press box
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Only one thing need be said:

:winner

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
This may be true but this coming from Harrelson means nothing considering he said the same kind of stuff about the previous regime till the bitter end.

That's true- but just watching this team on the field/in the dugout and their quotes in the papers etc- there seems to be a real difference.

delben91
Jumping to broad conclusions after 5 games is barely better than doing so before games are played.

But still better!! :D:

Your point is well taken. That said, I think there were some that expected this team to have zero capacity to play even "ok" baseball. They've now show at least that capacity. May not continue, and certainly doesn't translate to any ability to compete the rest of the season, but knowing they can at least be "all right" is better than if they'd been completely hapless through the first road trip.

I'll take what I can get out of these guys.

amsteel

While I agree with the overall assessment of 'yeah, things look pretty good compared to last year', if this were a single game, we'd be pleased with the the results after 1 out in the top of the 1st.

amsteel
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
While I agree with the overall assessment of 'yeah, things look pretty good compared to last year', if this were a single game, we'd be pleased with the the results after 1 out in the top of the 1st.

Which, when I think about it, in the case of today would be pretty damn good.

kevingrt
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM

But Dunn looks exactly like the 2011 version of Dunn looked five games into the season!

Wait... errr :scratch:

doublem23
04-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Which, when I think about it, in the case of today would be pretty damn good.

:thumbsup:

Frontman
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Thing of it is though; that we are enjoying the team, the team seems to be more positive, the chatter seems to be more positive, and I daresay I think Paulie almost cracked a smile today.

Last few years, the majority of us were saying after wins things like "Yeah but..." Right now, we're happy with our team, our team is happy with their results, and our manager is talking about baseball issues concerning the team he's managing.

All in all, that's what baseball is SUPPOSED to be about.

Noneck
04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
That's true- but just watching this team on the field/in the dugout and their quotes in the papers etc- there seems to be a real difference.

I sure hope so and if I heard that things looked better in the clubhouse from anyone but Harrelson, it would make me feel better.

SCCWS
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
It would be nice if Peavy has a solid outing against the Tigers and sets the tone for the series.

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
But Dunn looks exactly like the 2011 version of Dunn looked five games into the season!

Wait... errr :scratch:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but Dunn's line through the first five games in 2011 was better than his line through the first five games in 2012. That doesn't really mean anything though.

SOXSINCE'70
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Early on,it looks like the starters and bullpen will keep the Palehose in many games.:cool:I hope i'm right.

SOXSINCE'70
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but Dunn's line through the first five games in 2011 was better than his line through the first five games in 2012. That doesn't really mean anything though.

No appendectomy this year. He came back too soon from the procedure.He admitted it in the off season.I believe it was to Mark Gonzales, i'm not sure.

Frontman
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
It would be nice if Peavy has a solid outing against the Tigers and sets the tone for the series.

I hope so too. If you believe in jinx, I usually listen to our home opener on radio while working (which tends to lead to our starter getting lit up like a freakin' Christmas tree.)

I'll leave my radio in my locker this year. :tongue:

HomeFish
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
It's April and I'm feeling optimistic. I see no reason why this team, the way it's playing right now, can't finish in second place, just 10 games behind the Tigers.

Cleveland doesn't seem up to challenging us, I doubt Kansas City can. Minny looks lost but you know they've had our number for a decade.

ChicagoG19
04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I will be there Friday. Don't know the exact location as a friend bought the tickets, but I will be in the upper tank and as happy as can be. :bandance:

RCWHITESOX
04-11-2012, 06:52 PM

I believe the Sox will have a much better feel for the season after their series with Detroit I am hoping for a competitive and interesting season. I really believe this team is better than everyone thinks

tstrike2000
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I'll bury the those who prognosticated 68 wins or 65 wins (that great talent scout, keith law).
Anyway, if the Tigers can't pitch, we have a shot....hitting gets into cold streaks - always doesn.

Maybe Prince Fielder will help that along by trying to punch his pitcher like he did in Milwaukee.

doublem23
04-11-2012, 08:30 PM

This is also why you have to watch the games

Golden Sox
04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
If we can just get some production from Rios, Beckham and Morel, I feel we can contend for the playoffs this year. I think the backup plan is to use Fukodome and Escobar if Rios and Beckham struggle. But who replaces Morel if he continues to struggle? Is it Lillibridge? If not do they have anybody in the minors who can play 3rd base?

Zakath
04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
No appendectomy this year. He came back too soon from the procedure.He admitted it in the off season.I believe it was to Mark Gonzales, i'm not sure.

Very similar to Paulie coming back too quick from his oblique a few years ago.

Time will tell with Dunn. He can't be any worse than last year.

The only thing that concerned me about today's game was Danks and his control issues. Hopefully that was due to the cold, but he seemed to have real trouble, especially with the curve.

Brian26
04-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree; I still believe that Morel will eventually handle that #2 spot more effectively. Love the job hitters did today w/ RISP. DeAza has really hit the ball hard.

Morel had a nice bunt in the first inning to start the rally. Hopefully he'll come around eventually.

Brian26
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM

You're not watching the same player I am. He is hitting the ball hard, making contact, taking pitches and running deep counts by fouling off pitches. He's hitting line drives when he makes out, not wimpy Juan Pierre infield pop-ups. I'm pleasantly surprised by De Aza so far.

Brian26
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Will O. off to his usual shaky start,but he did straighten up last year..again, it was a tough day to pitch due to the ump.

Other than the one mistake that went out of the park, Ohman looked pretty good.

The bullpen as a whole looks phenomenal so far with a lot of interchangeable parts and a good mix or young and old arms. There's something nice about not having defined roles for all the guys yet and giving them all a lot of rest by mixing them up. Reminds me a bit of the 1990 bullpen so far minus the mega-closer, because I don't think Santiago is from the same mold as Thigpen.

Crooked Number
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Didn't get to watch this one due to work, but I was very pleased to see the offensive output. 4 runs early off Masterson, who is real tough, is really encouraging. Like others have pointed out, I am looking forward to watching Sox games again - let me rephrase - I am looking forward to watching games without having an intense, anxiety ridden "vibe" before the first pitch is even thrown.

As Kittle mentioned, it is early, but I will be damned if this team isn't fun to watch!

guillensdisciple
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
I think, and this is without optimism, that this road trip has to be taken in the positive.

We essentially were evenly matched, or outplayed the other team in 4 out of 5 games. We lost two of the 5, and the first one we lost really could have been a wash considering how tightly the umpire squeezed our hitters the entire game.
Combine that with the fact that we won one against the Rangers in comeback style, and then came to Cleveland to play a relatively easy series, and we have a lot more positives than negatives so far from this baseball team.

Does it mean a 90 win season, or contention with the Tigers? I don't think so, not yet at least. More has to be proven.

I do enjoy our lead off hitter and his continued success from a very good start last year. He squares the ball very well, and has a good knack for getting deep into counts.
I do believe Morel CAN develop into a solid two, as witnessed by his three runs scored. Perhaps an assured role has kind of messed with his psyche a little considering the added responsibility. Either way, his swings have looked progressively smoother over the past three games.
Dunn is, at the least not the same horrendous crappy player that he was last year. Right now he looks like he will be a serviceable number three hitter, perhaps a .230 with 25-30 hr's and 90 rbi's serviceable. Not worth the money we gave him, but I'll take it.
Paulie is Paulie, enough said. Man does not age, great hitter, awesome anchor in the offense.
A.J. is also steady. Can be counted on to have a steady offensive game that can sometimes overwhelm like the last couple of games, or underwhelm like he has plenty of times before. Either way, his contributions are probably stable from year to year.
Rios can't be trusted, and it is a good thing he has Fukudome backing him up. I have a feeling Fukudome's role will be increased because of Rios. Fukudome is not the star that Rios should have been but he is consistently .260's with good OBP and plate discipline. If Rios does nothing, I kind of hope he takes over the role.
Alexei is Alexei- hot and cold, he'll be back to form sooner or later.
Viciedo is a contact machine for now, and today we saw sprinklings of his power. He did not homer, but I like the fact that he engineers his approach from contact first to power later. He is slow and not worth much on the base path, but I think his hitting will merit a promotion to higher up in the line up.
Beckham I have no trust in. I have not liked him since his second season with the Sox and refuse to accept that he will improve. I don't see it, and I think Sox fans have a case of the Anderson's with Beckham. Kids not good, and is just a defensive asset at best. Wish we traded him for Adrian GOnzalez when we could, but that is hindsight obviously, and a very dumb thing to say.

Our pitching is good. I don't like Danks as a number one. Guy is good, has immense talent, but he can't use it consistently. He'll be good for us, but probably a number two or three.
Gavin is a four and that alright.
I expect Sale to be our one, either this year or next. He has the best stuff in our roster, and with experience, I expect him to become really good. Definitely better than Danks and Peavy.
Peavy's stuff is obviously not the same as his cy young stuff, nor will it ever be, but if healthy, I think we can expect a high 3's ERA with a solid 14 wins to his name. He is our two, and I expect a healthy season out of him this year.
Humber is our 5. I expect a 4 era. If he pitches like last year then this team is probably a lot better than the majority of us expected considering that most likely makes Gavin a 5. That would be one hell of a 5 to have.

THe bullpen here, per usual, until it's late season funk, is great. Even with its young guns, it looks phenomenal.

Point is, this team has the tools to be an 80 win team. It looks like the Red Sox might not be as good as advertised. Their lack of pitching really dooms them. The teams that I believe will be there for the 5 playoff spots are the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Rangers, Angels, Tigers.

Besides those teams, which other teams can one expect to be a legitimate team to threaten for the top 5? The Jays? Yep probably, and then I think the Sox could be included in the mix. Gratned, it's early, but we do have some good names and some decent talent that could legitimize itself. Consider the fact that the new coach thing usually performs miracles in clubhouses, and we could be seeing a competitive season.\

The White Sox only have to beat out 2 teams out of the above list.

The Rays will make it.
The Tigers will win the division.
The Rangers will make it.
Angels most likely
Yankees most likely
Red Sox, average chance.
Jays low chance
White Sox low chance

Seems daunting, but hope has to come somewhere that the torrent AL east will just destroy itself. No way all three make it with the amount of times they play each other, so that leaves two at most from there. Two from the west, and one from the central. The Sox need to play good baseball, and pray that the Angels underperform, or the Yankees end up being defeated by the division they're in.

Not predicting anything, but the possibility is there. We just need to perform up to a certain point. I don't know if we can, I don't know if we will. But making the playoffs should not be as difficult as advertised, so long as a team plays good baseball. Too many good teams that will knock each other out, and the central is the only division that will have enough bad teams to keep the good teams afloat. So, are the Sox the prey or are they the hunters?

October26
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
If we can just get some production from Rios, Beckham and Morel, I feel we can contend for the playoffs this year. I think the backup plan is to use Fukodome and Escobar if Rios and Beckham struggle. But who replaces Morel if he continues to struggle? Is it Lillibridge? If not do they have anybody in the minors who can play 3rd base?

Love your positive energy. As others have said, this team is fun to watch so far. I saw the replay yesterday's game last night and noticed that the Sox seem to like each other and their new manager. It's early, but it appears that Robin has brought a sense of calm and order to the Sox which is great. Of course, scoring 10 runs in a game will make everyone look relaxed. :D:

As for your question about a backup 3B, I'm not sure if the Sox have anyone in the minors. I agree with you that it would be Lillibridge. I'm really hoping that Robin can somehow have a positive impact on Morel from an offensive perspective. Right now, I'm happy whenever Morel gets on base (bunt, hit, walk, hpb).

delben91
04-12-2012, 08:51 AM

As for your question about a backup 3B, I'm not sure if the Sox have anyone in the minors. I agree with you that it would be Lillibridge. I'm really hoping that Robin can somehow have a positive impact on Morel from an offensive perspective. Right now, I'm happy whenever Morel gets on base (bunt, hit, walk, hpb).

Escobar can probably play 3B. In a real pinch they could bring up McPherson.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2012, 09:05 AM
This is also why you have to watch the games

Dunn looked very good in his first five games in 2011 into. The point is it's only five games so to declare that Dunn is fixed or doomed or whatever is premature. Of the games I have seen he's only had one bad at bat and even in that one he managed to work the count to 3-2.

October26
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Escobar can probably play 3B. In a real pinch they could bring up McPherson.

I forgot about McPherson. Is McPherson a better hitter than Morel?

doublem23
04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Probably not

TomBradley72
04-12-2012, 09:41 AM

No way- there's a reason he's 30 yo and playing at AAA.

I think Morel will deliver solid defense- and with a little work can be a servicable hitter- this is not a "go for it all" year- developing our team for the long term is still a priority- so sticking with Morel and developing him should be the priority.

Tragg
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
No way- there's a reason he's 30 yo and playing at AAA.

I think Morel will deliver solid defense- and with a little work can be a servicable hitter- this is not a "go for it all" year- developing our team for the long term is still a priority- so sticking with Morel and developing him should be the priority.

Indeed. This is no time to bring up DeWayne Wise to play 3rd base.

TomBradley72
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Indeed. This is no time to bring up DeWayne Wise to play 3rd base.

Yep- and Alex Rios is going to be on this payroll for a few more years- so getting him "right" is a similar priority- vs. playing time for Fukudome who is a 1 year stop gap/back up OF.

doublem23
04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Yep- and Alex Rios is going to be on this payroll for a few more years- so getting him "right" is a similar priority- vs. playing time for Fukudome who is a 1 year stop gap/back up OF.

FWIW, Fukudome's contract does have an option for 2013, as well, so there's a chance he's a 2-year stopgap.