PDA

View Full Version : Twins' Target Field NO SMOKING Facility

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Will not offer a smoking area to fans; leave them at home or go home.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/04/09/12/Twins-expand-Target-Fields-no-smoking-ra/msn_landing.html?blockID=705938&feedID=5930

Rocky Soprano
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I like it.

mccoydp
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Good for them.

Golden Sox
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
It absolutely astounds me that anyone still smokes.

jdm2662
04-10-2012, 10:58 AM

I'm almost 35, and I've never even tried one. But, if you want to smoke, feel free. Just don't do it in my house or car.

My only comment is I hear parents don't want their kids smoking, etc. My in-laws got rather upset when my wife's sister started smoking in her adult. Of course, both of them smoked like crazy (although, my father-in-law did stop over 20 years ago). Don't smoke in front of your kids if you don't want them smoking...

soltrain21
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The only downfall of people not being allowed to smoke in buildings anymore is that they've become crazy insensitive about how sidewalks actually work and I end up having to walk through tunnels of smoke all the time.

moochpuppy
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Wish more places would do this.

jdm2662
04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
The only downfall of people not being allowed to smoke in buildings anymore is that they've become crazy insensitive about how sidewalks actually work and I end up having to walk through tunnels of smoke all the time.

Or they have to take more breaks than they are entitled to. That is why I make up my own breaks. If they get extra smoke breaks, I get a Pepsi break, etc.

SOXfnNlansing
04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I know if I was a season ticket holder and a smoker, I'd want a refund if they 'enforce it'.

seventyseven
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Why? It is really not much different than other enjoyable activities that carry health risk.

Rocky Soprano
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Why? It is really not much different than other enjoyable activities that carry health risk.

Because I don't want to get cancer from you enjoying your activity.

amsteel
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
The Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Pirates, Giants, and Blue Jays are also 100% smoke free.

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/majorleaguebaseballstadiumpoliices.pdf (http://www.xroxy.com/proxy1905530.htm)

TheOldRoman
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I have never tried a cigarette (in part because my dad smoked three packs a day until I was 19), but I see nothing wrong with stadiums having a particular area where people can smoke, provided the smoke won't impact people outside the area. I find it hard to believe smoke from a few dozen people would overtake the nearby concourse in an open-air stadium. However, this is state law, as the article says, so the Twins really had no options.

Hitmen77
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Is this the 1st MLB stadium to have such smoking restrictions?

I read recently that the teen smoking rate is no longer dropping and has plateaued at something like 25%. That's a pretty disappointing statistic.

Domeshot17
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Because I don't want to get cancer from you enjoying your activity.

Well you being outside, around someone who smokes for all of 3 seconds, I would say you are probably safe there chief.

DumpJerry
04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Well you being outside, around someone who smokes for all of 3 seconds, I would say you are probably safe there chief.
Not from severe adult asthma. Three seconds is all it takes for a fatal attack to strike some people.

downstairs
04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
That's lame. Why do non-smokers care if there's an outdoor smoking area that's far from where they are?

downstairs
04-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Not from severe adult asthma. Three seconds is all it takes for a fatal attack to strike some people.

Yeah, but you could avoid the smoking area pretty easily.

If you have such severe asthma that 3 seconds next to a smoker gives you an attack... how can you be outside near cars, busses, grills?

SoxFan89
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM

This. I have asthma, though not as severe as it can be. I like being able to breathe!

seventyseven
04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, but you could avoid the smoking area pretty easily.

If you have such severe asthma that 3 seconds next to a smoker gives you an attack... how can you be outside near cars, busses, grills?

Bingo. I don't smoke but the whining from some people on the subject is sometimes more annoying than people who do smoke.

doublem23
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Bingo. I don't smoke but the whining from some people on the subject is sometimes more annoying than people who do smoke.

It's a pretty disgusting habit that a lot of people find offensive and also, smokers are the worst litterbugs in the world, every Sox game I go to the ramps are full of cigarette butts because those idiots can't figure out how to use a waste bin. I would be more upset over this if the State of Minnesota or the city of Minneapolis was imposing a smoking ban on the Twins, but they are acting as a private organization who clearly feel that pissing off a few smokers is worth it to give the majority of their fans who don't smoke a better experience at the park. It's their right.

amsteel
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I would be more upset over this if the State of Minnesota or the city of Minneapolis was imposing a smoking ban on the Twins, but they are acting as a private organization

The stadium was 3/4 funded by the county.

TDog
04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
The Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Pirates, Giants, and Blue Jays are also 100% smoke free.

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/majorleaguebaseballstadiumpoliices.pdf (http://www.xroxy.com/proxy1905530.htm)

Some years ago I worked with someone from Minnesota who told me that at the beginning of Twins games, the announcer announced that the Metrodome was a smoke-free facility, inspiring cheers from the crowd. That was in the 1980s. Maybe she was mistaken.

amsteel
04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Some years ago I worked with someone from Minnesota who told me that at the beginning of Twins games, the announcer announced that the Metrodome was a smoke-free facility, inspiring cheers from the crowd. That was in the 1980s. Maybe she was mistaken.

Yeah, I get the feeling that there's what the rule is on paper and what it is in practice.

I do wish however, that CPD would ticket people who light up on the way out of USCF on the ramps after a game. That's free money.

pmck003
04-11-2012, 04:07 PM

I know this was true in the 90's.

IMO its too bad - I thought the new Twins stadium had a pretty sheltered smoking area that wouldn't of bothered anyone else.

pmck003
04-11-2012, 04:11 PM

What about severe peanut/food allergies?

TaylorStSox
04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Personally, I'm more annoyed by the fatty spilling over into my seat while he's eating his second nacho helmet. To each their own though.

WLL1855
04-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Personally, I'm more annoyed by the fatty spilling over into my seat while he's eating his second nacho helmet. To each their own though.

For the record, it was a bratwurst. I can't help it I'm big boned. Blame my neanderthal parents.

Parrothead
04-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Then people should be allowed to smoke in 3/4 of the stadium.:D:

DumpJerry
04-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Did the County retain an ownership interest in the stadium like the State of Illinois retained one in Comiskey?

doublem23
04-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Did the County retain an ownership interest in the stadium like the State of Illinois retained one in Comiskey?

Target Field is owned by the Minnesota Ballpark Authority

haganaga
04-12-2012, 08:44 AM
It's a pretty disgusting habit that a lot of people find offensive and also, smokers are the worst litterbugs in the world, every Sox game I go to the ramps are full of cigarette butts because those idiots can't figure out how to use a waste bin.
Yeah, but all it takes is one that's not quite out to start a fire which is a much bigger issue than butts on the ground. Besides, someone has to pick it up and in these trying economic times, we need all the jobs we can get.

TheOldRoman
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Personally, I'm more annoyed by the fatty spilling over into my seat while he's eating his second nacho helmet. To each their own though.As annoying as that may be, sitting next to fatty can't hamper your breathing or lead to you getting getting cancer.