PDA

View Full Version : The "Things Darrin Jackson Says" 2012 Edition

RKMeibalane
04-10-2012, 12:33 AM
:DJ

"Hamilton hits it high... high... far... far... and it's not coming back."

Broccoli Rob
04-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I was just thinking yesterday how much I adored it when DJ got to do his home run call.

I think it was something like, "UH! OH!"

chisox12
04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I was just thinking yesterday how much I adored it when DJ got to do his home run call.

"Uh Oh!" was DJ's go-to home run call.

HITMEN OF 77
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

:thumbsup:

shingo10
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM

If he would have kept it up it would have become a classic for sure. It's one of those "so-bad-that-it's-good" things.

I love listening to him and Farmio. They are always entertaining and interesting to listen to.

GoGoCrede
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM

I love the way he says that. I think it's hysterical.

HomeFish
04-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I once made a sign with DJ's picture on it, which said "UH-OH! That's a [ ] run bye-bye!"

The [ ] were slits I made in the paper. Then I made the numbers 1 through 4 on little index cards. The idea was that I could put in the number based on how many runs scored on the dinger.

The Sox never hit a home run at a game to which I brought this sign.

DonnieDarko
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I once made a sign with DJ's picture on it, which said "UH-OH! That's a [ ] run bye-bye!"

The [ ] were slits I made in the paper. Then I made the numbers 1 through 4 on little index cards. The idea was that I could put in the number based on how many runs scored on the dinger.

The Sox never hit a home run at a game to which I brought this sign.

It's a sign! :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
"_______ has got some work... ta do!!!!" UGH!!!!! There are no words for how much this saying infuriates me! :angry:

Thankfully, we don't have to hear, "Jean Pierre" anymore whenever Pierre's name was mentioned. That one annoyed the bejeezus outta me, too.

pdr
04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh, do tell.

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
One of the worst announcers since I became a fan in 1971- he's right there with JC Martin, Del Crandall, Early Wynn, Mary Shane and Lou Brock-just horrible and embarrassing for a major market team- off the cliff bad vs. the John Rooney era.

I used to love listening to Sox games on the radio to pass the time in the summer-DJ makes it almost unlistenable to me- the lame HR calls, the previously mentioned "he's got some work ta do!", his random/mediocre attempts at humor, and the overall habit of both him and Farmer discussing very random topics (golf, etc.)- not early in the game when nothing special is going on- but in real "game situations" late in the game when the only topic should be the current game situation/strategy, etc.

Mendoza Line
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
DJ is also fond of pronouncing Illinois as "Ellenoise"

eriqjaffe
04-11-2012, 09:28 AM
One of the worst announcers since I became a fan in 1971- he's right there with JC Martin, Del Crandall, Early Wynn, Mary Shane and Lou Brock-just horrible and embarrassing for a major market team- off the cliff bad vs. the John Roonery era.

I used to love listening to Sox games on the radio to pass the time in the summer-DJ makes it almost unlistenable to me- the lame HR calls, the previously mentioned "he's got some work ta do!", his random/mediocre attempts at humor, and the overall habit of both him and Farmer discussing very random topics (golf, etc.)- not early in the game when nothing special is going on- but in real "game situations" late in the game when the only topic should be the current game situation/strategy, etc.It's pretty clear that DJ learned everything he knows about broadcasting from Hawk Harrelson.

The Immigrant
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
The most brutal moments in the broadcast are when he has to do play by play while Farmer does whatever it is Farmer has to do. He has the attention span of a knat and will let his mouth run in a random direction while describing the play on the field only when able to break from the inane banter. It's like he forgets that it's a radio broadcast.

Sorry for the rant, I know that's not the purpose of this thread.

shingo10
04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
It's pretty clear that DJ learned everything he knows about broadcasting from Hawk Harrelson.

Yeah and like Hawk he has a personality and isnt afraid to let it show through his broadcast. This is his 11th year now as a Sox broadcaster and while he definitely irks some people, I love that he isn't a cookie cutter announcer. Like I said his and Farmers broadcasts are very enjoyable to me. They have good chemistry.

C-Dawg
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Like I said his and Farmers broadcasts are very enjoyable to me. They have good chemistry.

I agree; I think DJ has improved since his pairing with Farmer.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2012, 12:23 PM

See, I enjoyed Hawk and DJ (and DJ in general, although I know I am in the minority). I think there was a nice rapport there, and whether it was real or not, it was enjoyable to listen to. I don't get that same feeling from Hawk and Stone. But who knows what's real and what's not.

Harry Chappas
04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah and like Hawk he has a personality and isnt afraid to let it show through his broadcast. This is his 11th year now as a Sox broadcaster and while he definitely irks some people, I love that he isn't a cookie cutter announcer. Like I said his and Farmers broadcasts are very enjoyable to me. They have good chemistry.

While I don't share your love of Hawk (I don't hate him either), I absolutely love DJ and Farmer. I think they bring a lightness and irreverence that is sorely needed by just about every self-important sports announcer that some of you apparently long for. It's baseball, not world politics. Listening to them is like sitting in the bleachers with a few of my buddies. It's probably why I enjoyed Paciorek so much. He understood it was a game and didn't take himself too seriously.

To each their own I guess but I've never understood this strong desire for our broadcasters to be bland automatons.

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
While I don't share your love of Hawk (I don't hate him either), I absolutely love DJ and Farmer. I think they bring a lightness and irreverence that is sorely needed by just about every self-important sports announcer that some of you apparently long for. It's baseball, not world politics. Listening to them is like sitting in the bleachers with a few of my buddies. It's probably why I enjoyed Paciorek so much. He understood it was a game and didn't take himself too seriously.

To each their own I guess but I've never understood this strong desire for our broadcasters to be bland automatons.

I would never hang around with a guy like DJ- he would annoy the **** out of me- not looking for "bland automaton"-just competent/non-annoying would be a nice improvement.

Harry Chappas
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I would never hang around with a guy like DJ- he would annoy the **** out of me- not looking for "bland automaton"-just competent/non-annoying would be a nice improvement.

To each their own, but I'm not sure it's fair to describe DJ as incompetent. Annoying is more subjective so no argument there...

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
The most brutal moments in the broadcast are when he has to do play by play while Farmer does whatever it is Farmer has to do. He has the attention span of a knat and will let his mouth run in a random direction while describing the play on the field only when able to break from the inane banter. It's like he forgets that it's a radio broadcast.

Sorry for the rant, I know that's not the purpose of this thread.

Don't forget how he makes you wait an hour for an update on the score.... Actually, both he and Farmer do that. More often than not, it's quicker for me to get a current score from the ESPN Mobile app. on my phone!

RowanDye
04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't forget how he makes you wait an hour for an update on the score.... Actually, both he and Farmer do that. More often than not, it's quicker for me to get a current score from the ESPN Mobile app. on my phone!

The lack of score updates can be annoying, but to be fair it's always going to be quicker to use the Mobile app. That is the purpose of the app -- on demand score updates.

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
The lack of score updates can be annoying, but to be fair it's always going to be quicker to use the Mobile app. That is the purpose of the app -- on demand score updates.

That's true, but I think back to the summer of 2009 -- before I had my iPhone -- and remember that trying to find out the score of the Sox game by listening to their radio broadcast was like trying to find a palm tree in Chicago; it was damn near impossible.

The Dude
04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
He has such a difficult time reading promos and recapping the inning. Yesterday right after the AJ 3 run bomb he said "in the inning 2 runs scored, etc etc....(5 second delay)....check that 5 runs score."

He is dreadful

chisox12
04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I love the way he says that. I think it's hysterical.

It is pretty damn funny. My friends and I still say "Uh Oh!" for every Sox HR. Like someone else sid in this thread, it's definitely one of those so bad, it's good things.

WisSoxFan
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
That's true, but I think back to the summer of 2009 -- before I had my iPhone -- and remember that trying to find out the score of the Sox game by listening to their radio broadcast was like trying to find a palm tree in Chicago; it was damn near impossible.

I believe it was Jon Miller who I heard say this, whoever it was it doesn't matter, it was some prominent radio play-by-play guy back in the late 80's. Anyway, they would have a egg timer in the booth with them and every time it ran out they would update the score and inning.

I have the MLB radio package for listening on my computer at work. The above is something many could use. Fortunately there are graphics with score, etc.

SephClone89
04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I believe it was Jon Miller who I heard say this, whoever it was it doesn't matter, it was some prominent radio play-by-play guy back in the late 80's. Anyway, they would have a egg timer in the booth with them and every time it ran out they would update the score and inning.

I have the MLB radio package for listening on my computer at work. The above is something many could use. Fortunately there are graphics with score, etc.

Unfortunately the gametracker is sometimes ahead of the audio feed. Can't stand that.

FireMariotti
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM

I remember when DJ started using this home run call and how it made me absolutely cringe.

Here's another unforgettable one for its awkwardness, about 18 seconds into the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudY-RDOXWw

DonnieDarko
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I remember when DJ started using this home run call and how it made me absolutely cringe.

Here's another unforgettable one for its awkwardness, about 18 seconds into the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudY-RDOXWw

That video almost made me cry.

To this day I regret not paying much attention to baseball--let alone the White Sox--until 2000.

DSpivack
04-12-2012, 09:08 PM
That video almost made me cry.

To this day I regret not paying much attention to baseball--let alone the White Sox--until 2000.

Much of my family was (and still is) Cubs fans. My dad just loved baseball, not any one team; he took me to Cubs and Sox games growing up, and when he moved to Springfield we went to a few Cardinals games each summer. Growing up, my parents went to both Wrigley and Comiskey each summer, although coming from Rogers Park they headed to Wrigley more often.

Thus, I didn't have any one team "drilled" in to me as a fan; I remember my cousin taking me to a game in the bleachers at Wrigley (and a few years ago he named his daughter Addison); and one of my earliest memories is my uncle taking me to old Comiskey (likely my one and only trip there), I remember sitting in the first few rows of the upper deck in right field.

My dad came up to Chicago for a weekend when the Sox were facing Toronto in the ALCS. I was in awe of the atmosphere, unlike any baseball game I had attended before then. The game helped me become a Sox fan after that, but I stuck with them because they had to me the coolest player in the sport--Frank Thomas. I was not yet a diehard fan, though--after all, this was in the middle of the Bulls run.

Then, in high school, I went with friends to Opening Day in 2000. The crowd seemed electric that night, a big change from the few years before that. From that night on, I became a diehard fan, thanks to the Big Hurt. For years now I've been saying I want to go to Cooperstown when he is inducted, but now that seems relatively soon.

vinny
04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
If DJ and Farmio could go a game without numerous references to the time DJ pitched in relief, they should get some sort of reward.

tick53
04-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Sure he has, he's not under Harrellson's constant scrutiny. BTW, Stoney has gotten worse since worse since being with Hawk. NO, strike that he's been more subdued since teaming up with Hawk. The Hilljack can't stand anyone upstaging him. Stone is a wealth of baseball info and he's not the same kind of broadcaster he was with the Cubs.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2012, 09:54 PM
This afternoon...

"Konerko's got some work ta' do!"

Good gawd.

soxfanreggie
04-13-2012, 10:32 PM
This afternoon...

"Konerko's got some work ta' do!"

Good gawd.

If this was Jeopardy, my question would be: What is a lot of crap?

I can't stand DJ in the booth. Boy were we sure spoiled with Rooney; I miss hearing his voice calling Sox games more and more.

TomBradley72
04-13-2012, 11:30 PM

Yep- he's moved from a 1 on a scale of 1-10 to a 2.

TheVulture
04-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I can't believe someone can listen to Farmer and Jackson and come away with the impression Jackson is one of the worst announcers of all time.

RKMeibalane
04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't believe someone can listen to Farmer and Jackson and come away with the impression Jackson is one of the worst announcers of all time.

Both of them have me pining for John Rooney, but at least Farmer doesn't use made-up words such as "ka-dooblee-woo," which DJ felt compelled to utter twice during this afternoon's game. What Farmer did do, way back in 2003, was spew out nonsense about Frank Thomas.

:farmer

"And Frank picks up another hit. Thomas knows he needs to have a good spring if he wants to make this team."

:rooney

"You mean that he's trying to reestablish himself as the best hitter on this team, right?"

:farmer

"No, I mean he's in danger of not making this ballclub."

EastCoastSoxFan
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
"That's just bull right there..." (I believe on Joe Crede not being awarded first base on an HBP)

Harry Chappas
04-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Sox broadcasters rank about 196th on my "Things that Bug Me about the Organization" list.