PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Chris-p,Smooth,Sale'ing For Starters' CWS vs. CLE 4/9 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
04-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Very nice job by Sale and the bullpen.

Would have liked a few more runs, however some key hitters had good games.

Of course Rios and his loafing would have to surface......

We're a .500 team!! :bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Nice, efficient victory

KnightSox
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Excellent job by the offense taking pressure off Sale, who then pitched great!

soltrain21
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Win a bunch of games like that and I'll be happy.

Zakath
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Very good outing from Chris, only letting the HBP score.

Santiago makes the mistake to Lopez, but closes well.

Paulie's still on fire, de Aza shows some power, as does AJ.

Morel and Beckham are still MIA at the plate.

GoGoCrede
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Win a bunch of games like that and I'll be happy.

Haha, I scrolled by really quickly and read this as "what a bunch of garbage" and wondered what I missed.

Hendu
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Chris Sale!!! Nice game, kid. So glad to see him looking good as a starter...hope he keeps it going.

TomBradley72
I just can't get over how "different" this team seems vs. last year- the energy in the dugout, the overall chemistry- it's VERY early- but I'm really impressed with what Ventura and his staff have accomplished in such a short time.

Aesero
I'll take it. Morel looked somewhat bad again, but did make solid contact to drive in a run.

Great game by Sale. Reed pitching over a lazy mistake by Rios. Hopefully those two stay healthy all season.

soxnut1018
Great first start for Sale, offense was good enough, and Santiago is filthy.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Great start to Sale's starting career, and good on the Sox to give him a cushion to work with out of the gate.

:winner
:indianslose

#1swisher
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats, KKKKKhris :gulp:

guillensdisciple
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Good job Sox, keep it up.

soltrain21
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Haha, I scrolled by really quickly and read this as "what a bunch of garbage" and wondered what I missed.

Alex Rios. He was garbage.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Congrats Chris Sale. I'm gonna enjoy watching him.:smile:

But boy does Dunn make me nervous at 1st.

roylestillman
04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
No doubt about it. Frank is back at the post game desk.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Alex Rios. He was garbage.

Oh my God, I was at the gym when that happened and I punched the treadmill I was on much to the horror of the girl running next to me. He's such a dog and I was really hoping that Ventura would lift him for a pinch hitter the next inning.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Hopefully we saw the beginning of what will be a very successful career as a SP for Chris Sale.

October26
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats to Chris Sale for getting the win - he pitched great tonight.

Keep it going, Sox!

Also nice to see The Big Hurt on the Comcast PostGame Show. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I like the way our rotation, bullpen and defense (other than Viciedo) look.

If the mediocre hitters (DeAza, Morel, Bacon) could learn some bat control (productive groundouts hit to the right side/behind the runner, fouling off pitches, sac flies, etc.), this team could win some games not unlike those annoying Twins teams we used to hate. They didn't have a ton of power, but they usually scored 4 runs and won a fair share of games.

I think AJ belongs in the 2-hole. I still want Bacon and Morel playing every day, though. Here's how I would make the lineup:

DeAza, AJ, Rios, Paulie, Dunn, Alexei, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham

soxinem1
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh my God, I was at the gym when that happened and I punched the treadmill I was on much to the horror of the girl running next to me. He's such a dog and I was really hoping that Ventura would lift him for a pinch hitter the next inning.

I was not a big fan of signing him, but a few more like that and Fukudome will be in RF a little bit more......

PalehosePlanet
04-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Very good outing from Chris, only letting the HBP score.

Santiago makes the mistake to Lopez, but closes well.

Paulie's still on fire, de Aza shows some power, as does AJ.

Morel and Beckham are still MIA at the plate.

AJ made the mistake to Lopez by calling for 8 straight fastball to a fastball hitter. He did a great job with Chris and Addison though, so no biggie.

Loved the outing by Sale; best thing about tonight's win by far.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
:hurt

"No doubt about it."

NardiWasHere
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
No doubt about it. Frank is back at the post game desk.

"No doubt about it."

I specifically came on WSI to post this.

Good win!

Lip Man 1
04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Nice solid win.

Sale looked very good. Some hits at the right time...OH MY STARS A HOME RUN WITH A GUY ON BASE!

Rios is dog****, period.

Try to get over the .500 mark tomorrow!

Lip

billyvsox
04-09-2012, 09:21 PM

If the mediocre hitters (DeAza, Morel, Bacon) could learn some bat control (productive groundouts hit to the right side/behind the runner, fouling off pitches, sac flies, etc.), this team could win some games not unlike those annoying Twins teams we used to hate. They didn't have a ton of power, but they usually scored 4 runs and won a fair share of games.

I think AJ belongs in the 2-hole. I still want Bacon and Morel playing every day, though. Here's how I would make the lineup:

Swap Rios with Viciedo and I like it

veeter
04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
AJ made the mistake to Lopez by calling for 8 straight fastball to a fastball hitter. He did a great job with Chris and Addison though, so no biggie.

Loved the outing by Sale; best thing about tonight's win by far.Agree 1000% on the AJ mistake. Love that bullpen!!!

kevingrt
04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Agree 1000% on the AJ mistake. Love that bullpen!!!

1 ER in about 10 innings isn't too bad from this bullpen is it?

RKMeibalane
04-09-2012, 09:55 PM

I have a feeling he doesn't play tomorrow. Ventura won't put up with that sort of thing.

Watching Rios makes me long for the days of Carlos Lee. That's how bad he's been: his home run in Texas was important, but "once in a blue moon" heroics aren't enough to excuse mental mistakes and Little League defense in right field. Sheesh!

BigHurt3515
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
1 ER in about 10 innings isn't too bad from this bullpen is it?

Fantastic especially when that 1 run was practically meaningless

SoxSpeed22
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice to be .500, even if it is early. Eventually, Kosuke is going to have to start taking playing time away from Rios. I'm more concerned about Morel and Beckham. Everything looks wrong with Brent when he's at-bat.

JB98
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
The outing from Sale tonight was encouraging.

Hopefully, the offense will start doing a better job with RISP and take some of the pressure off the pitching staff.

Pitching has been good overall so far.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
For the season the Sox are now 3-27 with RISP.

:o: !!!!!

And normally because its only the first week I wouldn't be concerned but given what happened last year it's probably not a good thing for them mentally that Dunn and Rios are both hitting under .200.

Lip

whitesox4eva
04-09-2012, 10:23 PM

And normally because its only the first week I wouldn't be concerned but given what happened last year it's probably not a good thing for them mentally that Dunn and Rios are both hitting under .200.

Lip

Well it is a good thing then that Konerko is hitting .412 and Viciedo is hitting .364 :tongue:

Brian26
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I just can't get over how "different" this team seems vs. last year- the energy in the dugout, the overall chemistry- it's VERY early- but I'm really impressed with what Ventura and his staff have accomplished in such a short time.

The most pleasant surprise for me, other than everything you mention which I agree with, is Adam Dunn's eye at the plate. He's fouling off tons of pitches, taking close balls, hitting foul balls hard, going deep in the count, coming back from being down 0-2. He looks like a totally different player.

Nice job by Sale. Love all the groundball outs. Dunn actually looks serviceable at first base. Rios has made a few great catches so far, so I won't tear him apart yet, but those kind of mistakes are intolerable.

Brian26
04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Watching Rios makes me long for the days of Carlos Lee. That's how bad he's been: his home run in Texas was important, but "once in a blue moon" heroics aren't enough to excuse mental mistakes and Little League defense in right field. Sheesh!

I can't believe I'm defending Rios here, but he's been covering a ton of ground in RF in the four games I've seen so far and has made some catches that Quentin and Dye wouldn't have been within 20-ft of.

The dropped ball sucked, but I'll cut him some slack as long as it doesn't happen again.

Brian26
04-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Lip

Come on, Lip. Batting averages through the first four games are meaningless. They don't even post the averages on the game telecast until the first ten games are over. They're only talking now about guys being X for Y. Dunn's a totally different hitter at the plate right now, and Rios is responsible for possibly the most clutch hit of the season so far.

DSpivack
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
The most pleasant surprise for me, other than everything you mention which I agree with, is Adam Dunn's eye at the plate. He's fouling off tons of pitches, taking close balls, hitting foul balls hard, going deep in the count, coming back from being down 0-2. He looks like a totally different player.

Nice job by Sale. Love all the groundball outs. Dunn actually looks serviceable at first base. Rios has made a few great catches so far, so I won't tear him apart yet, but those kind of mistakes are intolerable.

He was racking up pitches early, but did a good job settling down and I was pleasantly surprised that he was able to pitch into the 7th inning.

TaylorStSox
04-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Had to work and missed the game. What did Rios do?

BigHurt3515
04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I love when we win!!
Sale is great to watch.

JB98
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I can't believe I'm defending Rios here, but he's been covering a ton of ground in RF in the four games I've seen so far and has made some catches that Quentin and Dye wouldn't have been within 20-ft of.

The dropped ball sucked, but I'll cut him some slack as long as it doesn't happen again.

Agreed, it was a terrible play, but he's a defensive upgrade in RF over what the Sox have had out there over the last several seasons.

russ99
04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Agreed, it was a terrible play, but he's a defensive upgrade in RF over what the Sox have had out there over the last several seasons.

The ball almost popped out of his glove on the one he chased down and caught in the corner earlier, I wonder if he's breaking in a new glove...

Yes, there's really no excuse for that drop, but at least we didn't get any runs scored on us because of it.

Very happy with Sale, If the kid can stay healthy, he could really be something.

Ok with the offense, but way too many men left on and 10Ks is unacceptable.

Foulke You
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I'll take it. Morel looked somewhat bad again, but did make solid contact to drive in a run.
Morel has been pretty bad at the plate so far. It's like he has forgotten everything that he learned last September when he became a more patient hitter. He is very easy to pitch to right now because you just have to give him a steady diet of fastballs outside the black of the plate or sliders outside of the zone away and he gets himself out by chasing all of it. He got it right in the AB where he drove in the 4th run because he laid off some pitches and worked the count full. The next AB it was right back to chasing the outside pitches again. Hopefully, Morel will figure it out but right now he is striking out at an alarming rate.

fram40
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM

On the post game show, Frank stated he wants Viciedo batting third. Seemingly immediately.

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Sale gives me hope. He's got ace shut down stuff like we haven't seen here since Contreras 2nd half 2005.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
On the post game show, Frank stated he wants Viciedo batting third. Seemingly immediately.

Viciedo seems to be hitting well in a low-pressure spot in the batting order. I can understand where Frank is coming from, but I don't agree with him. Making a change for the sake of making a change isn't smart baseball.

:jerry

"But it sure makes for interesting baseball."

:ohno

"Interesting is hardly the word we would use."

shes
04-09-2012, 11:33 PM

You can't bat Viciedo third right now if you want to give Dunn a realistic chance to rebound from historical infamy. He has to hit in a spot where guys will be on base and he has protection behind him. In this lineup, there's only one spot where he gets that. Now, if he's hitting .180 a month from now, that's a different story.

As long as Dayan keeps hitting, I'd like him batting behind Rios.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2012, 11:36 PM
You can't bat Viciedo third right now if you want to give Dunn a realistic chance to rebound from historical infamy. He has to hit in a spot where guys will be on base and he has protection behind him. In this lineup, there's only one spot where he gets that. Now, if he's hitting .180 a month from now, that's a different story.

As long as Dayan keeps hitting, I'd like him batting behind Rios.

Agreed. And I don't think people should worry about Dunn's batting average after four games, regardless of how bad last season was. He's showing more patience at the plate, and seems more comfortable.

Noneck
04-09-2012, 11:42 PM

Its way to early to be even thinking about putting Viciedo in front of Konerko. Dunn has been fine as the 3 hitter.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Its way to early to be even thinking about putting Viciedo in front of Konerko. Dunn has been fine as the 3 hitter.

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Noneck
04-10-2012, 12:05 AM

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Maybe The Bat Man wants to show he knows more than the boy wonder.

NardiWasHere
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe The Bat Man wants to show he knows more than the boy wonder.

No doubt about it.

hawkjt
04-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Helluva job by Sale. Looked like he was born to be a starter tonite.
Nice early offense by DeAza and AJ...early leads are very helpful to a new starter like Sale.
Morel has looked hopeless but he did put a good swing on that rbi line drive..finally.
As for Alex....he is a big upgrade in right field over Carlos,and he made a single mental error.. that did not cost a run or a game...maybe sox fans should cut him a little slack,as his homer did account for half of the total wins right now,eh?

Nice solid win,tho,which is what the doctor ordered. Jump on the Tribe tommorrow and go into Wednesdays tough matchup with Masterson with the series in hand,and with no worse than a .500 record going into home opener vs the Tigers. With Jake,Gavin and Chris going vs the Tigers Below,Schwerzer and ?....Sox have a shot if they can keep the tigers to less than ten runs/game.

thomas35forever
04-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Haven't read through this thread and sorry if someone posted about it already, but only 9,000-plus at tonight's game? I know it's the fourth game of the year and the weather's not pleasant this time of year, but good Lord, I don't think we've been that low on the South Side in a long time.

DSpivack
04-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Haven't read through this thread and sorry if someone posted about it already, but only 9,000-plus at tonight's game? I know it's the fourth game of the year and the weather's not pleasant this time of year, but good Lord, I don't think we've been that low on the South Side in a long time.

On TV it looked like much fewer than that. Also, the game was in Cleveland, the Sox home opener is Friday.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Agreed. And I don't think people should worry about Dunn's batting average after four games, regardless of how bad last season was. He's showing more patience at the plate, and seems more comfortable.

I have been a big fan of watching Dunn be patient at the plate. His BA is low, yes but he's drawing a lot more walks and his eye has been good. If he can make the pitcher throw him 13 pitches then fly out deep, while it's not "productive" for him at the plate it can be for the team.

I also enjoyed seeing him play 1B last night too. Never hurts to spell Paulie.

Zakath
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM

9000? Only if 6000 were dressed up as empty seats...

Zakath
04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Viciedo seems to be hitting well in a low-pressure spot in the batting order. I can understand where Frank is coming from, but I don't agree with him. Making a change for the sake of making a change isn't smart baseball.

Amazed pitchers aren't painting the outside corner on him all night, because he's standing way too far off the plate. He's really having to stretch to cover the opposite side of the plate, such that he's basically flailing at it.

A half-step in for him and he could reach that with ease.

Brian26
04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I forgot to mention my favorite part of the broadcast last night.

:hawk
"A few years ago, we came in here and swept Cleveland for four and then went to NY and swept them for four."

I'm assuming Hawk was talking about the road sweep in 2000, which was 12 years ago. I'm also sure it was a three-game series in Cleveland, not four. Other than that, Hawk had it perfectly correct.

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
I forgot to mention my favorite part of the broadcast last night.

:hawk
"A few years ago, we came in here and swept Cleveland for four and then went to NY and swept them for four."

I'm assuming Hawk was talking about the road sweep in 2000, which was 12 years ago. I'm also sure it was a three-game series in Cleveland, not four. Other than that, Hawk had it perfectly correct.

It's time for the Sox to hire a legit PBP announcer and let Hawk come in and do the middle three innings and then leave.

soltrain21
04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
It's time for the Sox to hire a legit PBP announcer and let Hawk come in and do the middle three innings and then leave.

I agree with your first eleven words.

The Immigrant
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Wait until the Orioles series next week.

kittle42
04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Fukudome's career numbers in April are outstanding - then he goes downhill. Every season.

He should be getting some starts.

Harry Chappas
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM

+2. I'm not a huge Rios fan but some of the plays he's made already this season have probably saved some runs. He got lazy last night on a routine fly ball but I don't expect we'll see that again. In his short tenure as manager, Robin has already shown a willingness to shuffle the lineup if someone is struggling (Morel).

Also, despite his low average, Dunn looks like a different player. He seems to be laying off the high, inside, fastballs that killed him last year.

SI1020
04-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm wondering who among all the dynamic voices out there would make a suitable PBP announcer? I can think of several right now that would make me hit the mute button very quickly.

TomBradley72
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree with your first eleven words.

DJ goes first-

SephClone89
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm wondering who among all the dynamic voices out there would make a suitable PBP announcer? I can think of several right now that would make me hit the mute button very quickly.

Russ Langer, who did some of the webcasts with Melton. He does AAA games. He'd jump at the chance.

#1swisher
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Sale credits his success in yesterdays game to AJs' pitch selection.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sale-leads-young-sox-in-victory-at-cleveland-20120409,0,4335965.story

Foulke You
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I have been a big fan of watching Dunn be patient at the plate. His BA is low, yes but he's drawing a lot more walks and his eye has been good. If he can make the pitcher throw him 13 pitches then fly out deep, while it's not "productive" for him at the plate it can be for the team.

I also enjoyed seeing him play 1B last night too. Never hurts to spell Paulie.
He looks like a different hitter this year so far. He is going deep into counts almost every AB and has been seeing a lot of pitches. The swing also doesn't look as loopy this year. If he keeps this approach, I think he'll have a solid season for us.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Sale credits his success in yesterdays game to AJs' pitch selection.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sale-leads-young-sox-in-victory-at-cleveland-20120409,0,4335965.story

I liked what Santiago said, about the guys pulling for each other and the chemistry in the clubhouse. Sounds like a great atmosphere for the young guys!

I never did get to see Morel's celebration at first after finally getting a hit. Hopefully he can relax and settle in, but I really think Robin should move him back down to the bottom of the order until/if he finds his swing again.

And Dunn looks like a different Donkey this year. :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Dunn looks like a different Donkey this year. :D:Really? He's hitting .154. I'm not ready to declare him comeback player of the year.

doublem23
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Really? He's hitting .154. I'm not ready to declare him comeback player of the year.

OBP is .353.

SI1020
04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Russ Langer, who did some of the webcasts with Melton. He does AAA games. He'd jump at the chance. I must admit I never heard him do a game, and as yet can't find anything with him on the web. I would like to follow up on your recommendation.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Russ Langer, who did some of the webcasts with Melton. He does AAA games. He'd jump at the chance.
I agree wholeheartedly - I heard him do some of the White Sox spring games and liked him. I was trying to think of his name! I think somewhere someone may have said he works for the Rockies system?

Edit: No, I must have heard incorrectly - AAA for the Blue Jays. Google is my friend. :D:

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Really? He's hitting .154. I'm not ready to declare him comeback player of the year.
I'm not either, yet.

LITTLE NELL
04-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Wait until the Orioles series next week.

People, the game was in Cleveland as are the next 2.

SI1020
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
OBP is .353. Which shows that there are occasions when OBP is not that relevant a stat.

SephClone89
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Which shows that there are occasions when OBP is not that relevant a stat.

How?

soltrain21
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Whut.

doublem23
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

4 games

Anyways, if anything, it shows more that BA is the flawed stat. We're all in agreement that Dunn has looked a lot better at the plate this year, and I already can think of two occasions when he has hit the ball hard, unfortunately it's been directly at a defender. A couple feet either way and it's down for a hit. Add those two hits into his BA and he's hitting .307.

soxinem1
04-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Dunn was never a .280-.300 hitter anyway. And besides, his average was way better through four games last year and look what happened.

If he hits .250 or .260 we should celebrate.

With him, OBP, HR and RBI is what you need to look for, and since his OPS is .738, he looks to be headed in the right direction.

SI1020
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
4 games

Anyways, if anything, it shows more that BA is the flawed stat. We're all in agreement that Dunn has looked a lot better at the plate this year, and I already can think of two occasions when he has hit the ball hard, unfortunately it's been directly at a defender. A couple feet either way and it's down for a hit. Add those two hits into his BA and he's hitting .307. I agree with that. The only thing else I want to add is that I really hope his BA this year will approach his career average.