PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish

Saracen
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Anyone else interested to see his first start tonight? I think it may take him a year to adjust, but by next year when he's learned AL hitters, his stuff is Cy Young-worthy.

I don't think it's the same brand of Japanese pitcher we've seen in the past. This guy went 18-6, 1.44 ERA, 36BB, 276K last year. He can throw every pitch for a strike and can hit 97mph on the gun.

Really looking forward to watching him pitch.

VenturaFan23
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Anyone broadcasting it nationally?

doublem23
04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I was told Dice-K was going to revolutionize the way we look at Japanese pitchers so I'm not holding my breath on Darvish. I think he'll be good but I wonder if he's going to live up to the $111 million Texas invested in him between the contract and posting fee.

Still, all he has to do is top Hideo Nomo to become the greatest Japanese pitcher of all time, so it's not like he's got to climb Mt. Everest or anything.

Paulwny
04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I was told Dice-K was going to revolutionize the way we look at Japanese pitchers so I'm not holding my breath on Darvish. I think he'll be good but I wonder if he's going to live up to the $111 million Texas invested in him between the contract and posting fee.

Still, all he has to do is top Hideo Nomo to become the greatest Japanese pitcher of all time, so it's not like he's got to climb Mt. Everest or anything.

Toss in Hideki Irabu, the Nolan Ryan of Japan.He never lived up to the hype.

SephClone89
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone broadcasting it nationally?

No, but if you have cable or satellite you should have the Extra Innings preview.

Saracen
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Hideki didn't come over till he was 28, and sucked for some of his years in Japanese ball. In only 2 of his 9 years did he post a sub 3.00 ERA. Yu's career ERA is 1.99.

This is an entirely different animal.

soltrain21
04-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm only excited if he throws the gyroball.

04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Yu Ready?

doublem23
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Hideki didn't come over till he was 28, and sucked for some of his years in Japanese ball. In only 2 of his 9 years did he post a sub 3.00 ERA. Yu's career ERA is 1.99.

This is an entirely different animal.

We'll see. The Major Leagues is a different animal, too. Cross country road trips, 6 month season, pitching in the Texas heat, throwing once every 5 days... This is going to be a big test for Darvish. Baseball history is littered with guys who dominated weaker competition and then were overmatched when they got to the Show.

SoxSpeed22
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Hershiser brought up some good points about throwing regimens for Japanese pitchers compared to Major League pitchers. Since Japan uses 6 man rotations and there are more off days, pitchers throw a lot more frequently on off days compared to major league pitchers. Also one point that I made earlier was that elite pitchers from Japan didn't have the same stuff that elite ML pitchers have. Darvish might be different if he adopts a major league throwing regimen.

DSpivack
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Not a good first inning for Darvish. 42 pitches, 4 hits, 4 ER.

guillensdisciple
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Ye his start isn't that great.

DumpJerry
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Not a good first inning for Darvish. 42 pitches, 4 hits, 4 ER.

Ye his start isn't that great.
Looks like Chris Sale's Cy Young Award is safe.

Saracen
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Pretty rough outing. He's settled down a bit, but still having trouble finding the strike zone.

pythons007
04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
I've been wondering about this for a while now. Do you think the Japanese strike zone is the size of a Cadillac, while here it's the size of a dough nut?

I remember hearing how good of control Dice-K had, and now we're hearing how good of control Darvish has, but seem not to throw strikes.

Domeshot17
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I've been wondering about this for a while now. Do you think the Japanese strike zone is the size of a Cadillac, while here it's the size of a dough nut?

I remember hearing how good of control Dice-K had, and now we're hearing how good of control Darvish has, but seem not to throw strikes.

Lets give the guy a couple starts before we just declare him a bust. I am sure there were a lot of nerves in his major league debut.

Also, Francona Sunday night said something that was very interesting and I never knew. The biggest reason for Dice-K struggling was he could not throw the American baseball the same way he could the Japanese Baseball. The size difference pretty much eliminated his splitter/gyroball. It will be interesting to see if that impacts Darvish or not, but he is known as much more of a power pitcher.

hawkjt
04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I watched that first inning. He was struggling with command.
The matchups vs Ichiro were interesting...Ichiro had 3 straight hits.
The other japanese player he faced took 4 straight balls for an RBI walk with bases loaded.

Of course the way that the Rangers mashed,it made me feel good about the Sox pitching this past weekend.

fisk4ever
04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Hershiser brought up some good points about throwing regimens for Japanese pitchers compared to Major League pitchers. Since Japan uses 6 man rotations and there are more off days, pitchers throw a lot more frequently on off days compared to major league pitchers. Also one point that I made earlier was that elite pitchers from Japan didn't have the same stuff that elite ML pitchers have. Darvish might be different if he adopts a major league throwing regimen.
He also said the Japanese ball is slightly smaller, so there is an adjustment to the MLB ball.

Saracen
04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Made the Yankees look ridiculous tonight.