PDA

View Full Version : April 9, 1982: Sox Lose a Wayward Son

The Racehorse
04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1137631-april-9-1982-the-white-sox-lose-a-wayward-son

Let’s get our welcome to the work week with a bit of a downer, a canary in the coalmine of the consciousness, if you will. Thirty years ago today, former White Sox right-hander Francisco Barrios died of a heart attack brought on by the abuse of drugs and alcohol. He was 28.

:(:

wilburaga
04-09-2012, 12:28 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1137631-april-9-1982-the-white-sox-lose-a-wayward-son

:(:

Sad anniversary.

Francisco contributed to one of the most bizarre (combined) no-hitters in Major League history.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1976/B07280OAK1976.htm

Bucky F. Dent
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I forgot that he was so young. What a tragedy!!!

C-Dawg
04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I keep saying, I wish they'd make the Bill Veeck collared jerseys available again; I'd totally get a custom one for Francisco Barrios, because a) I liked the guy when I was a kid, and b) it would sort of complete the set since I already have a 1983 Salome Barojas. For some reason I have a thing for those Mexican pitching phenoms!

Lip Man 1
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
He pitched pretty well in 1977 that's for sure, also remembered for getting involved on a team flight back from Seattle, in a fight with Ralph Garr after his errors resulted in Barrios taking a loss.

Lip

palehosepub
04-09-2012, 05:11 PM
My little claim to fame is that Fransisco was my cousin's best man; I was about 16 and my cousin who was 19 had a number of White Sox players at the reception - I also remember meeting Ken Kravec. My cousin started out as a batboy in the early 1970's and worked his way up to the visiting clubhouse manager' My aunt, uncle and cousin lived near the park and befriended him. Fransisco left my aunt and uncle tickets behind home plate on the days that he pitched. I remember that they usually were surrounded by scouts in that area.

Fransisco was a really big hearted guy, although he was known to have a temper. We were all shocked we heard the news that he died..

I have a late 1970's game jersey of his, its the dark blue version with the collar, one of my favorite pieces of Sox memorabilia.

soxinem1
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
He pitched pretty well in 1977 that's for sure, also remembered for getting involved on a team flight back from Seattle, in a fight with Ralph Garr after his errors resulted in Barrios taking a loss.

Lip

And that about summed him up. He had such a good mound presence when he had it together, yet his demons were just too much for him.

Much like John Belushi who died in a similar way just a month before him, it was really tragic. :(:

fram40
04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I remember Barrios like it was yesterday. One of my favorite players during high school.

The '77 Hit Men. Just a fun team, a great team to watch and cheer - for 4 1/2 months anyway. One of the best teams to watch and cheer in my lifetime.

Hard to believe it was 35 years ago.