PDA

View Full Version : Borchard and Crede

Daver
07-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Are ready whenever they get the call,

From Baseball America.

Chicago White Sox
Lonely Telephone

CHICAGO—Joe Borchard knows his time is coming, but isn’t counting the days until he arrives at Comiskey Park. The former Stanford quarterback says he won’t wait by the telephone for his promotion from Triple-A Charlotte.

“That’s their decision,” Borchard said. “I really don’t know what to think about any of it. It’s definitely not up to us. All I can do is go out and play. The same thing with (third baseman) Joe Crede. He’s had a great year. It just seems like they are committed to winning, to winning with veterans, this year. That’s their decision.”

Borchard, who was signed to a $5.3 million bonus as a first-round pick in the 2000 draft, missed most of the first month of the season after fouling a ball off his right foot in spring training. He returned to hit .276-12-34 in 66 games. He had 78 strikeouts and just 28 walks, showing he still has work to do as a hitter.

While the Sox gave Borchard a record bonus, they knew he would need time to settle in as a baseball player. He had never previously committed himself exclusively to baseball, shuttling between the diamond and the football field at Stanford.

Borchard played right field for the Cardinal. The White Sox have used him regularly in center field, but recently have asked him to again work in right.

“I’ve been playing a little bit of right field,” Borchard said. “They want to work me on the corners a little bit, make me as versatile as I can be.”

Three-time all-star Magglio Ordonez appears entrenched in right field, but the Sox want to keep their options open. Borchard could figure in any of the three outfield positions, as left fielder Carlos Lee is being shopped in trade talks and center fielder Kenny Lofton will be a free agent after this season.

Chi-Lites

Charlotte remains a wasteland for starting pitchers. Manager Nick Capra used 15 different starters in the first 89 games. The only pitchers to make at least 10 starts were lefthander Jim Parque (4-8, 8.16), righthander Jon Rauch (2-5, 5.72) and righthander Geronimo Mendoza (1-9, 8.15), who was released.

First baseman Casey Rogowski, who missed the first half of the season with a shoulder injury, has returned strong. In his first 15 games, he hit .412-2-10 between the Rookie level and Class A Winston-Salem.

Chisox_cali
07-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Ok that was mainly LTP, th only mention of Crede was by Borchard :D:

I'm glad that he's ready to go and I can't wait to see him in action at Comiskey, whether that be in September or Next Season.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi Daver....... AutoMick here!

You know I want Borchard and Crede here NOW...... and you know who I want out of here!!!!

Daver
07-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo
Hi Daver....... AutoMick here!

You know I want Borchard and Crede here NOW...... and you know who I want out of here!!!!

We will continue to agree to disagree on that Mick. :redneck

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by daver

We will continue to agree to disagree on that Mick. :redneck

Some things NEVER change nor will they!!! :D: