PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-7 Congrats Robin on first win, Sox 4 Tex 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Hector is our new closer

Rios HRs at the right time

soltrain21
04-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Alright Adam Dunn. Alright...

GoGoCrede
And congrats to Konerko on his 2,000th game! And congrats to Peavy for a good start. And congrats to me that I didn't have to sit through a walkoff.

samurai_sox
Robin's first victory!! Congrats!! :):gulp::bandance:

BigHurt3515
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Santiago!! Rios!! Konerko!! Great game!!

A. Cavatica
04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Great win. Congratulations to Robin.

HomeFish
Sox just beat a very good team. Good job.

KRS1
Paulie shows up big and Rios shows up. Good pitching again tonight.

ChicagoG19
Nice call with Santiago in the 9th. He looked pretty confident and got the save. :bandance::bandance::bandance:

OmahaSoxFan
Nice win tonight for the guys! Nice to see Rios get the clutch hit and see Santiago close out the Rangers. Also not to be lost was all in all a pretty decent first start to the season by Jake! And congrats to Robin as his first win as a big league manager - here's to many more!!!

roylestillman
2011 finally feels like it was last year.

CanBuehrleWait
Yay good job sox! 1 on the board:D::bandance:

johnnyg83
First one feels good

Frater Perdurabo
Rios also made some nice grabs in RF

Paulie with a nice 2-run double

This bullpen looks good so far

Peavy with a quality start

veeter
That's a hell of a nice win. Santiago out of nowhere like Salome Barojas. Congratulations Robin!!!!

KnightSox
A lot of positives from this game. Congratulations Robin!

soxinem1
Congrats Robin!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

This team has shown more life and fundamentals in two games than they have in the last season and a half.

This was a team win and it showed.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Rios, you've earned a reprieve. Clutch HR, and against Nathan makes it even better. Paulie, hell of a way to commemorate your 2,000th game. Dunn, you keep this up, your ovation at the Cell on Friday will be nice, long, and loud.

Congrats Robin!

It was funny...I was talking about how Rios has been a disappointment with my dad before Rios comes up, and I said to him "I can dog him all I want, he's been bad." After he hit the HR, my dad said "Keep dogging him." I just said, "Well played, Rios."

HomeFish
It means a lot to me that Joe Nathan gave up that HR. The Sox finally got to him!

Soxman219
Congrats Robin on your first win!:smile:

Rios needed that BTW. Clutch HR!!:bandance:

guillensdisciple
Winning one in Texas against Texas is
A really good sign and we have played extremely well against them so far. Our hitting needs work, but I like our pitching so far.

1:68th of the way to our sports illustrated prediction.

NDSox12
Santiago certainly made a statement tonight. That's about as tough of a situation as you can get for your first save opportunity: a one run game against the two time defending league champs in their ballpark. Well done!

Also, although he was far from dominating, I like what I saw from Peavy tonight.

LITTLE NELL
Always great to get that first win of the season, might as well win tomorrow too.

johnnyg83
Ha ha Joe Nathan

doublem23
04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Very encouraging 1st 2 games. Let's get a series win tomorrow

ChiSoxGal85
04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
:bandance:
Nice win against a tough hitting Texas team. Let's do it against tomorrow, boys!

SoxandtheCityTee
All wins are good wins, but a bomb off Nathan . . . sweet!

Brian26
Alright Adam Dunn. Alright...

Great night for Dunn. Great eye at the plate.

Gammons Peter
very nice. :)

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
To be in a position to win a series in the home park of the repeat defending league champs is impressive. If Morel and Beckham each could hit .250 and otherwise handle the bat well, this lineup could be good enough to support the pitching and defense.

Brian26
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Rios also made some nice grabs in RF

Hey, somebody has to teach Nelson Cruz how to track down balls hit over his head.

JB98
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice win!

Joe Nathan is a shell of his former self. I'm really surprised Texas is using him as their ninth inning guy. They have two or three relievers who are clearly superior.

I like that Santiago challenged Andrus there with a three-ball count and Hamilton on deck. Yeah, Andrus hit it hard, but right at somebody for the third out. That's a situation where you can't afford a walk. Make the punch-and-judy hitter earn his way on.

fram40
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Peavy battled. No mistakes defensively - a few nice plays. One very very good play. Our bullpen outlasted their bullpen despite their superior offense.

A very nice win. Can we dream of a series win? in Texas?

Tragg
04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I think Peavy will be pretty good this year, although fly balls in the Cell worry me.

What's Santiago's background. I just don't recall him at the top of our prospect list.
I saw him pitch that last inning against the Astros Tue night. Looked a lot better tonight.

Brian26
It means a lot to me that Joe Nathan gave up that HR. The Sox finally got to him!

Beckham and Konerko got him in 2009, but it was a meaningless game down the stretch. At least this one means something in the pennant race :tongue:

GlassSox
Critical out in the 9th, great catch by Alexei.

Brian26
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice win!

Joe Nathan is a shell of his former self. I'm really surprised Texas is using him as their ninth inning guy. They have two or three relievers who are clearly superior.

Ogando looks absolutely unhittable. I agree, Adams and Ogando probably belong in that spot more than him.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Win tomorrow and I can proudly wear my jersey to teach classes on Monday.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I take back the Peavy complaining. He settled down nicely. Until we won I didn't realize how negative I was getting. Beating Nathan is always sweet!

doublem23
04-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I think Peavy will be pretty good this year, although fly balls in the Cell worry me.

What's Santiago's background. I just don't recall him at the top of our prospect list.
I saw him pitch that last inning against the Astros Tue night. Looked a lot better tonight.

30th Round pick of the 2006 Draft, his minor league profile:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=santia001hec

He refined his screwball last year and it's really helped his game. FanGraphs called him #10 prospect in the Sox system this off-season

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-15-prospects-chicago-white-sox/

KenBerryGrab
Win tomorrow and I can proudly wear my jersey to teach classes on Monday.

Front runner. :D:

NDSox12

Yeah, I predict Ogando will be their closer sooner rather than later. Unless the Feliz as a starter thing doesn't work out.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Front runner. :D:

If they lose I'll wear it humbly.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Rain in tomorrow's forecast. Isn't the game scheduled for ESPN?

doublem23
04-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Yes

guillensdisciple
04-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Yes it is, I can't wait- I hope it won't be really bad rain. I'm just happy to have baseball back- has been a while since I have gone into a baseball season with huge expectations instead of realistic ones- and these realistic ones feel a lot better.

Crooked Number
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
4 runs on 5 hits? Paulie picking up where he left off. De Aza with a terribly played ball, but the rest of the D picked him up. Rios impressing with the glove in rf and the game winning blast.

Loved the poise from Reed and Santiago. Big spots very early in the year in a hostile ballpark with 50k fans looking on. I thought Jake did pretty well. Both Danks and Peavy have held this power house offense to 3 runs. Thats a win in my book. See if Gavin can continue it.

Congrats Robin on your first win as a skipper!

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Hope we get tomorrow night's game in. We could use a break from storms around here.

SephClone89
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Yes.

TDog
04-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Quite the turnaround, from being tied on the road in the in the eighth, pitching to the Rangers with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count to beating Nathan on a ninth-inning home run before three-up-three-down Rangers ninth.

A great win. Overall, very well played. I don't get WGN (that's probably true with more people now than it was a year ago), but I got to see the Rangers feed on the free preview thing.

There were a couple of defensive lapses in the third, which led to the Rangers tying the game. De Aza, fresh from getting picked off, totally misplayed a single into a triple, and Peavy didn't field a soft ground ball cleanly after balking. But from there out, Peavy was cruising. The balls that were hit well, except for Murphy's, were hit foul or into the defense. Even when Thornton loaded the bases and went down 3-0, he didn't lose it.

Dunn against the southpaw walked twice in three at bats, hitting ahead of the team's best hitter. Konerko, came up twice with two outs and runners in scoring position and had two hits for three RBIs. The White Sox didn't make the most of their opportunities, but they came close (as opposed to the Rangers who wasted a lead-off double in a one-run loss).

It was a great win against a team with a clearly better lineup. I'm sure White Sox fans would like to see more offense, and there will be days when there will be more White Sox offense, but this was the way I like to see the White Sox play.

BigKlu59
04-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Nice win, Nice clutch dinger from Rios, Paulie Mr. Clutch, Nice quality start from Jake,... Matt had a tight sphincter moment, but got Napoli when it counted, Santiago was lights out..Nice first W of hopefully many to come..

Go Sox!!!!

BK59

Aesero
04-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Home run from Dunn yesterday. A home run from Rios today. Does Beckham hit one tomorrow night?

I have some high hopes for this team this year so it's great to see wins like this.

Crooked Number
04-07-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm sure White Sox fans would like to see more offense, and there will be days when there will be more White Sox offense, but this was the way I like to see the White Sox play.

Totally agree. I really enjoy seeing the defense back up quality pitching, with timely clutch hitting. Makes for an exciting ballgame.

SCCWS
04-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Solid effort. Bottom of order has to get going. Bullpen has produced. Congrats to Robin on the first of many.

mzh
04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Good effort all around. Rios got the clutch hit that they didn't get yesterday. That's the key- if the guys like Rios, Beckham and Morel can step up when they're needed, a lot of 1 run games will go our way

Shout out to Thornton for getting out of the jam. Gave up a couple dinky base hits, I love that he just went straight after Napoli with 3 fastballs after going 3-0. He simply overmatched him.

RCWHITESOX
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
It's nice to see that some people are posting some positive lines about the Sox. I for one feel that this year will be the opposite of last year and their will some excitement this year in Chicago.

infohawk
04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Congratulations Robin! Great win. Jake had some control issues, but seemed to figure it out. The bullpen was solid, good defense, and a couple of timely hits.

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Just grateful for the win.Oh, and the Twinks and Tribe are 0-2.:bandance::bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Jake had some control issues

That's being polite. He threw some god awful off speed stuff early on.

And please, enough of the ****ing BALKS!!:angry::angry: Someone needs to remind "Mr. Wonderful" that it ain't 2007, this isn't the NL, and he did NOT win a CY Young award last year.

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Just grateful for the win.:bandance::bandance:

And grateful Josh Hamilton could NOT catch Rios' fly ball to center.:D:

cards press box
04-08-2012, 12:18 AM
The Sox have played two strong games against the two-time defending AL champs in their park. The pitching and defense have been very good.

And it's always nice to say:

:winner

voodoochile
04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Great night for Dunn. Great eye at the plate.

Yeah nice to see him NOT flailing at everything close to the zone. Take his walks pick his spots, that's exactly what we need from him.

Oh and if you gonna have one hit in your first 7 at bats a go ahead game winning homer in the 9th on the road against last year's AL pennant winner is a great way to do it.

Maybe this team won't totally suck after all...

:soxwin:

:supernana:

:)

SoxSpeed22
04-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Didn't see the game, but pleased with the outcome. Jake looked like he settled down after the 3rd. I do like this more patient approach the Sox looked like they were using.
Congrats on your first win Robin. Here's to many many more. :gulp:

TDog
04-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah nice to see him NOT flailing at everything close to the zone. Take his walks pick his spots, that's exactly what we need from him.

Oh and if you gonna have one hit in your first 7 at bats a go ahead game winning homer in the 9th on the road against last year's AL pennant winner is a great way to do it.

Maybe this team won't totally suck after all...

What impressed me with Dunn's walk in the third inning was that he was down 0-2 in the count, and this pitcher in particular had to consider him an easier out than the hitter on deck.

Come to think of it, I was also impressed that Konerko's two-run double came on an 0-2 pitch. And the Rios home run came on a 1-2 pitch.

Taliesinrk
04-08-2012, 01:26 AM
What no one has mentioned is Robin's first HUGE managerial decision... keeping Thornton in to face Napoli with the bases loaded in a tie game, when Crain was ready, was ballsy... to say the least. Thornton goes 3-and-0 on him and then comes all the way back to get out of it. Awesome point in the game and since it worked out, Robin deserved the W. Good night of baseball.

CHISOXFAN13
04-08-2012, 01:51 AM
That's being polite. He threw some god awful off speed stuff early on.

And please, enough of the ****ing BALKS!!:angry::angry: Someone needs to remind "Mr. Wonderful" that it ain't 2007, this isn't the NL, and he did NOT win a CY Young award last year.

Pretty harsh considering he has a quality start against the top offense in baseball.

Maybe you need to tell yourself it's not last year

Foulke You
04-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Hope we get tomorrow night's game in. We could use a break from storms around here.
Speaking strictly from a baseball standpoint, you also don't want to make up a game in Texas late in the year when it is hot and the ball is flying out if that park. The weather and lively park would favor the Rangers. I'd rather face them in April.

hawkjt
04-08-2012, 02:43 AM
That ballpark was playing very pitcher friendly tonite,and that is a welcome change from playing there in July. I did not think that Alex's blast had a chance after those Ranger drives died way before the track...Alex hit that one very pure.

I was very concerned about Jakes stuff until the 4th inninng,when his command just clicked in and he was tough the rest of the way. That is very encouraging. Bullpen solid, Santiago had good pop on his fastball.

At times it seems like Paulie is the only real hitter on this team,and he has to come thru every nite...and the last year or so,he has. Nice 2000th game,Captain!

Good job by Alexei on that last catch...scary! And Adam Dunn looks different at the plate so far...that is good.
Gordo,Morel,Brent...anytime now...please.
When DeAza led off with a single again,and Brent promptly struck out, it continued a string of bad at bats by the #2 hitter.

And when DeAza gets picked off,of course Brent and Adam walk...and PK drives them in...hey, we won anyway!!!

I think psychologically it was very big to get this win today...get that monkey off their backs. Now,the younger guys can relax and hit the darn ball!!

soxfanreggie
04-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Congrats RV on hopefully the first of many! Great positive team win last night. So many guys stepped up to do their part, especially behind the bat of Paulie. Let's find a way to take this series!

SI1020
04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Pretty harsh considering he has a quality start against the top offense in baseball.

Maybe you need to tell yourself it's not last year Seriously. I've been critical of Jake, but last night he hung in there and gave the team a chance to win. The velocity was there, he was just having some trouble finding his spots and grooved a few pitches. It's very early but so far so good with the team. Also a big shout out to Rios. He played hard in the field and got that big hit. I want to drop the bad feelings for him and become a fan. Maybe Robin can make a big difference with these guys. In baseball and in life attitude can make a big difference.

cws05champ
04-08-2012, 09:10 AM
It's nice to see that some people are posting some positive lines about the Sox. I for one feel that this year will be the opposite of last year and their will some excitement this year in Chicago.
I think when the expectations are not as high it's a lot easier for people to be positive and not so negative on here. My expectations for this team are just under league average so I'm really just looking forward to hopefully see development of Reed, Santiago, Viciedo, Beckham and the other young uns.

I really like Santiago as a starter though....I kind of wish they would have left him there since most of their pitching prospects profile as relievers.

gna2112
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Great win by our Southsiders!!!! Overall big team win, with contributions from many guys. Even more than hitting the game winning dinger, I love to see Rios going to right field, in majority of his ab's so far this season(not trying to pull everything). Congrats to Robin for his first W and let's take this series tonight with Floyd on the mound!!!

TomBradley72
04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
My random observations-

Rios looks very good defensively in RF (I know it's only 2 games)- but his range, height, etc. are a nice upgrade from what we've had in RF the past few years.
VERY gutsy bullpen moves (or non-moves- leaving Thornton in) by Ventura last night- glad they paid off for him.
When was the last time we won a tight/1 run/well played game on the road vs. an elite team?
Peavy looked like meat the first 3-4 innings- but it was great to see him really settle in for the last few innings- right after I had completed my rant to my wife about how I'm tired of all his talk and good 'ol boy b.s..:cool:
Interesting to see Parent joking around with Thornton after he got out of the 8th inning- my impression is that Robin and the coaching staff have quickly established a rapport with the players.
On the negative side- 6 strike outs from the #2 slot in the first 2 games- I think this is the biggest weakness of the roster- we really don't have anyone (Escobar?) who fits the profile- Beckham/Morel/Lillibridge would need to etablish way more plate discipline to fit the role.
This is an incredibly more likeable team than a year ago- if anyone underestimates the role that a manager and his staff play in molding a team/culture- this is exhibit A- while Ozzie is already digging his way out his first "foot in mouth" incident from defending Castro in a Time magazine article (exposing what a hypocrite he is- did I say I liked Castro? I meant I hate him and he's horrible, etc.)- BASEBALL is the only story line with the White Sox- and the players seem to be responding- I think it's pretty easy to read between the lines from alot of their quotes in the press the positive difference between 2012 and 2011.
I know it's extremely early- but this team reminds me of 1990- instead of "Doing the little things" to "Doing it Right"?
Holes in the roster and very tough competition to get into the post season (Tigers/Angels/Rangers/Yankees/Red Sox/Rays)- but it's a good feeling to "like" my team and it's manager again- and to have interesting young arms (Sale/Reed/Santiago/Jones) to follow each night.

Nelfox02
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Like most people here I dont really have high overall expecations, so I ve taken the approach of rooting for enjoyable baseball at least for the first two games, and so far so good. Sox have hung in well against one of the better teams in the AL. I thought TCM's play to start the ninth was huge, I figured there was no way that ball would be caught, and if it is not it sets up a completely different half inning.

Thornton getting out of that jam? Rios with the big jack? Fun stuff.

Peavy looked solid, nice to see a couple starts like yesterday and Danks on Friday against a line up like that.

October26
04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
:bandance:
Nice win against a tough hitting Texas team. Let's do it against tomorrow, boys!

This - great game last night! I thought the pitching and defense (what a catch by Alexei) was good and the Sox had just enough offense (Paulie being Paulie and Rios with the game winning homer) to get the win. :clap:

Congratulations Paulie (2000th game)! Congratulations Robin (1st win as Sox manager)!:bliss:

hawkjt
04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I admit to having the least ''Sox buzz'' in spring training in at least a decade this year,and that continued right up until Friday's opener.
Friday's game was interesting,and then last nite's game was like an electric bolt to my dormant baseball DNA. Frankenstein is alive!!
Really, Rios' bomb was so unexpected,so fortuitious,that it was like out of ''The Natural'' or something. Alex's first 8 at bats this year looked errily similar to last year...pop up,pop up,pop up...ect.
Hopefully, this gets him going,and not in bad habits of trying to hit a homer every time up there.
Sometimes it just seems like he overthinks his at bats....see ball,hit ball!

TomBradley72
04-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I admit to having the least ''Sox buzz'' in spring training in at least a decade this year,and that continued right up until Friday's opener.
Friday's game was interesting,and then last nite's game was like an electric bolt to my dormant baseball DNA. Frankenstein is alive!!
Really, Rios' bomb was so unexpected,so fortuitious,that it was like out of ''The Natural'' or something. Alex's first 8 at bats this year looked errily similar to last year...pop up,pop up,pop up...ect.
Hopefully, this gets him going,and not in bad habits of trying to hit a homer every time up there.
Sometimes it just seems like he overthinks his at bats....see ball,hit ball!

Well said!

kufram
04-08-2012, 10:47 AM
The negatives in the first 2 games are obvious and unsurprising. The positives are promising. Robin Ventura seems like a guy who has managed before. He seems very comfortable and I'm sure that will have an influence on everyone around him. He's made great moves with the bullpen. He answers questions from the media with aplomb. Very straight forward. I think he may have been a very good choice after Ozzie. Time will tell.

I liked Ozzie for his entertainment value but he was one of those guys that I wish I could just switch off sometimes. It feels good that the circus has left town.

SOXSINCE'70
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Maybe you need to tell yourself it's not last year

I'll take it under consideration. No teal needed.

Let's see what he does againse the Tiggers on Friday. I'll be there.

elrod
04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
What no one has mentioned is Robin's first HUGE managerial decision... keeping Thornton in to face Napoli with the bases loaded in a tie game, when Crain was ready, was ballsy... to say the least. Thornton goes 3-and-0 on him and then comes all the way back to get out of it. Awesome point in the game and since it worked out, Robin deserved the W. Good night of baseball.

Bingo - I was not happy with Robin for a moment there. And he hit the batter before Napoli, so Thornton looked totally lost to me. But it worked in the end, thankfully...

cheezheadsoxfan
04-08-2012, 12:08 PM
My random observations-

Rios looks very good defensively in RF (I know it's only 2 games)- but his range, height, etc. are a nice upgrade from what we've had in RF the past few years.
VERY gutsy bullpen moves (or non-moves- leaving Thornton in) by Ventura last night- glad they paid off for him.
When was the last time we won a tight/1 run/well played game on the road vs. an elite team?
Peavy looked like meat the first 3-4 innings- but it was great to see him really settle in for the last few innings- right after I had completed my rant to my wife about how I'm tired of all his talk and good 'ol boy b.s..:cool:
Interesting to see Parent joking around with Thornton after he got out of the 8th inning- my impression is that Robin and the coaching staff have quickly established a rapport with the players.
On the negative side- 6 strike outs from the #2 slot in the first 2 games- I think this is the biggest weakness of the roster- we really don't have anyone (Escobar?) who fits the profile- Beckham/Morel/Lillibridge would need to etablish way more plate discipline to fit the role.
This is an incredibly more likeable team than a year ago- if anyone underestimates the role that a manager and his staff play in molding a team/culture- this is exhibit A- while Ozzie is already digging his way out his first "foot in mouth" incident from defending Castro in a Time magazine article (exposing what a hypocrite he is- did I say I liked Castro? I meant I hate him and he's horrible, etc.)- BASEBALL is the only story line with the White Sox- and the players seem to be responding- I think it's pretty easy to read between the lines from alot of their quotes in the press the positive difference between 2012 and 2011.
I know it's extremely early- but this team reminds me of 1990- instead of "Doing the little things" to "Doing it Right"?
Holes in the roster and very tough competition to get into the post season (Tigers/Angels/Rangers/Yankees/Red Sox/Rays)- but it's a good feeling to "like" my team and it's manager again- and to have interesting young arms (Sale/Reed/Santiago/Jones) to follow each night.

Well said. I tried to defend Ozzie for a long time, probably because of residual good feelings from '05 and not wanting to let go. It's early, but yes the difference is noticeable.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Congrats to Robin. Defense played very well...offense? Except for PK, again not great.

Texas was hitting ropes all around the park but right at people. Sometimes you get games like that, this time the Sox were able to take advantage despite what? four hits??

At least they have a shot to take the series tonight.

Lip

jdm2662
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Congrats to Robin. Defense played very well...offense? Except for PK, again not great.

Texas was hitting ropes all around the park but right at people. Sometimes you get games like that, this time the Sox were able to take advantage despite what? four hits??

Lip

It's usually the Sox losing such games when they have 10 hits, and the other team gets 4-5. It's a matter of making them count, and thankfully, they did. But, this lineup could really be an issue. Hopefully, Konerko will be up for most of the run scoring chances...

TomBradley72
04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
It's usually the Sox losing such games when they have 10 hits, and the other team gets 4-5. It's a matter of making them count, and thankfully, they did. But, this lineup could really be an issue. Hopefully, Konerko will be up for most of the run scoring chances...

IF Rios gets back to his 2010 performance- that would be real protection for PK and Dunn in the order- which would be huge.

But all of these mediocre, free swinging hackers like Beckham/Lillibridge/Morel/Flowers could really hurt us-

#1swisher
04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Hector Santiago tried to give Robin Ventura the game ball, but RV gave it back to him. :cool:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0408-white-sox-rangers-chicago--20120408,0,3466039.story

Mingo
04-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Good decision by RV to bat Dunn 3rd after flirting with batting Rios 3rd. Dunn's pitch selection is setting Paulie up to be a RBI machine.

Loved the game last night. Go Sox!

doublem23
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I really like Santiago as a starter though....I kind of wish they would have left him there since most of their pitching prospects profile as relievers.

Sox seem to like letting all their pitching prospects cut their teeth in the Majors in the bullpen, though.

Santiago's been a starter his whole MiLB career, so I don't know if the rotation is his ultimate goal. Unless he turns out to be an absolutely devastating closer, I would think Reed's the guy who will be closing sooner or later

TDog
04-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Lip

If you're looking for negatives, you can find them. Of course, you could credit good defensive players and coaches that position them according to the hitters and who they are facing, with the exception of the third inning. You could point out that two of the five White Sox hits were two-out hits with runners in scoring position.

The White Sox won a game on the road started by a tough left-hander backed by a clearly superior lineup. It doesn't frustrate me that they didn't outhit the Rangers, as they did in the opener, or make as many hard outs.

Mingo
04-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I think Thornton plunked Murphy - just to pitch to Napoli. Which, if true, would have been very ballsy of Robin Ventura to call, but I think he did.

Robin sent a message to the league - his team is playing to win.

guillensdisciple
04-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I think Thornton plunked Murphy - just to pitch to Napoli. Which, if true, would have been very ballsy of Robin Ventura to call, but I think he did.

Robin sent a message to the league - his team is playing to win.

That didn't happen

doublem23
04-08-2012, 07:48 PM
That didn't happen

Yeah why would Thornton plunk a lefty to get to a righty?

Honestly I think Robin was more lucky than good there... Really don't know why Crain didn't come in to face Napoli... I think it was indicative of a manager with realistically low expectations of his team and was more interested in kicking the tires with Thornton than actually going for the win.

TomBradley72
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah why would Thornton plunk a lefty to get to a righty?

Honestly I think Robin was more lucky than good there... Really don't know why Crain didn't come in to face Napoli... I think it was indicative of a manager with realistically low expectations of his team and was more interested in kicking the tires with Thornton than actually going for the win.

FWIW on the pregame show tonight- Robin said he was going to use Crain for the 9th if the game was tied- but I think you have a point- I think he was rolling the dice to let Thornton get out of it to stabilize his confidence, etc. vs. pulling him for Crain- I did not like the move at the time- but it was pretty ballsy.