PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Like the Robin Ventura Era

voodoochile
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
If for nothing else than the quips. I admit I had no idea Robin was such a smartass but if he can maintain this sense of humor without the drama of the OG era, he may prove to be a solid manager. Of course it will come down to whether his team can perform, but at least he's got his head on his shoulders squarely...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0407-haugh-white-sox-rangers-chicago--20120407,0,3885411.column

Moses_Scurry
04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I was really happy that he didn't do the auto-bunt after Viciedo's double yesterday. I have absolutely zero doubt that Ozzie would have had Beckham bunt. As a person who hates bunts (unless it is bunting for a hit) in almost all cases, it made me happy.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I was really happy that he didn't do the auto-bunt after Viciedo's double yesterday. I have absolutely zero doubt that Ozzie would have had Beckham bunt. As a person who hates bunts (unless it is bunting for a hit) in almost all cases, it made me happy.

Ozzie would have bunted after a lead off single, even if the runner on first was a good base stealer.

I don't mind bunting a runner from second to third with no outs because you then can score with a sac fly, groundout to the right side, or another bunt.

voodoochile
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Ozzie would have bunted after a lead off single, even if the runner on first was a good base stealer.

I don't mind bunting a runner from second to third with no outs because you then can score with a sac fly, groundout to the right side, or another bunt.

Well I was more commenting on Robin's demeanor with this thread because I think it will take a lot longer to understand and dissect his management style, but for me it's kind of the opposite. If a guy's on second already than a hit to the right side moves him to third as does a decent SF, both of which might find a hole and lead to a hit while a bunt is pretty much giving up the out.

DSpivack
04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Well I was more commenting on Robin's demeanor with this thread because I think it will take a lot longer to understand and dissect his management style, but for me it's kind of the opposite. If a guy's on second already than a hit to the right side moves him to third as does a decent SF, both of which might find a hole and lead to a hit while a bunt is pretty much giving up the out.

I only saw him on the pre-game show with Melton and Garfein and he was pretty funny going back and forth with them.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2012, 01:08 PM

I can see your argument as well. Clearly there are plenty of options when you have a runner on second with no outs.

I also like Robin's demeanor. I see him being supportive and positive, using failures as teachable moments, not dwelling on mistakes, and keeping clubhouse things inside the clubhouse.

Overall Robin has shown discretion, something Ozzie obviously lacked.

Paulwny
04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
You need a batter with some bat control to hit the ball to the right side or deep enough to the outfield to advance the runner to 3rd base. Beckham still looks confused at the plate. Ventura may have him bunting if the same situation arises in the future.

tstrike2000
04-07-2012, 05:17 PM
If for nothing else than the quips. I admit I had no idea Robin was such a smartass but if he can maintain this sense of humor without the drama of the OG era, he may prove to be a solid manager. Of course it will come down to whether his team can perform, but at least he's got his head on his shoulders squarely...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0407-haugh-white-sox-rangers-chicago--20120407,0,3885411.column

I was also pleasantly surprised with Ventura's humor during Soxfest when a fan asked him what will he do if Dunn continue's his extremely poor hitting into this year. He said something to the affect of, "I will tell him, 'Here's the bench'." It was pretty funny.

SBSoxFan
04-07-2012, 11:13 PM

And yet the Rangers, with the vastly superior offense, bunted in the same situation previously in the game. The run then scored on a sac fly. The Sox did not score their leadoff double, and the Rangers won the game by a run.

Runs (and hits) have been hard to come by the first couple of days across baseball. It might be a good idea for a team to "manufacture" every run it can.

doublem23
04-07-2012, 11:16 PM
And yet the Rangers, with the vastly superior offense, bunted in the same situation previously in the game. The run then scored on a sac fly. The Sox did not score their leadoff double, and the Rangers won the game by a run.

Runs (and hits) have been hard to come by the first couple of days across baseball. It might be a good idea for a team to "manufacture" every run it can.

I think you feel a little safer wasting an out when the guys coming up behind it are Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre, Nelson Cruz, etc. If Beckham bunts you have Alejandro De Aza and Brent Morel up next.

Brian26
04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Just read on Twitter that Santiago gave the game ball to Robin, and Robin gave it back to Santiago. Robin said, "you're the player, not me."

doublem23
04-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Just read on Twitter that Santiago gave the game ball to Robin, and Robin gave it back to Santiago. Robin said, "you're the player, not me."

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/730/730566/200-ryder_1262651690.jpg
Robin Ventura... Genuine Class

TheCommander
04-07-2012, 11:22 PM

:thumbsup: Classy move.

SBSoxFan
04-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I think you feel a little safer wasting an out when the guys coming up behind it are Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre, Nelson Cruz, etc. If Beckham bunts you have Alejandro De Aza and Brent Morel up next.

I imagine so. It's just nice to score a runner from second without getting another hit. I doubt the Rangers bring the infield in in that situation so all De Aza as to do, in most circumstances, is hit the ball and the Sox score a run. However, the Astros brought their infield in very early in today's game and cut down a runner trying to score from third.

If this is indeed the post-steroid era it looks like teams might be treating single runs as very critical.

Thome25
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Things like that will make Robin endearing to both his players and the fans.

Tragg
04-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes, having Ventura as manager is refreshing already.

I felt that way when the roster came out. Young players, no mediocre/declining veterans at all on the roster (much less in key spots). No ordering automatic outs in front of our best hitters with runners on base.
Feels good.

Soxman219
04-08-2012, 12:02 AM

A classy White Sox manager?:scratch: I never thought I see the day.

DSpivack
04-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes, having Ventura as manager is refreshing already.

I felt that way when the roster came out. Young players, no mediocre/declining veterans at all on the roster (much less in key spots). No ordering automatic outs in front of our best hitters with runners on base.
Feels good.

Dunn, Rios, Peavy, Pierzynski & Ohman aren't mediocre veterans on the decline?

Daver
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
A classy White Sox manager?:scratch: I never thought I see the day.

Chuck Tanner, Jeff Torborg, Gene Lamont, and Larry Doby I would consider class individuals, even Jerry Manuel to a lesser extent.

ChiSoxGirl
04-08-2012, 12:14 AM

I only saw him on the pre-game show with Melton and Garfein and he was pretty funny going back and forth with them.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Ventura's humor during Soxfest when a fan asked him what will he do if Dunn continue's his extremely poor hitting into this year. He said something to the affect of, "I will tell him, 'Here's the bench'." It was pretty funny.

These are all among the reasons why I love this man. :cool:

voodoochile
04-08-2012, 12:18 AM

Wow and his first win as a ML manager too. That's great stuff. Just one more way he's going to be different in a good way than Ozzie - no ego. Well just a lot less ego. I'm sure they all have egos on this level, but Robin proving once again, it's all about team.

I don't know if the Sox have the raw talent to win the division this year, but stuff like that will get the team to run through a wall for him real fast.

cards press box
04-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Chuck Tanner, Jeff Torborg, Gene Lamont, and Larry Doby I would consider class individuals, even Jerry Manuel to a lesser extent.

I know that Al Lopez could sometimes get grouchy but doesn't he belong on this list as well?

sullythered
04-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I loved Ozzie, but I'm gonna like Robin here too, I think. I never agreed that Robin taking this job was a "lamb to the wolves" situation to begin with. He doesn't have experience, but he's a smart guy, and maybe more importantly, he has personality and is an endearing dude. Not "fire," necessarily, but he's funny and quick witted. That is gonna go a long way with his players. I also don't think he is going to be as easily "puppeted" as many would like us to believe. Robin has always struck me as being his own man.

Daver
04-08-2012, 12:33 AM
I know that Al Lopez could sometimes get grouchy but doesn't he belong on this list as well?

He's left off because he was before my time, I only listed managers I could remember watching manage.

Nellie_Fox
04-08-2012, 01:24 AM
He's left off because he was before my time, I only listed managers I could remember watching manage.And he was apparently responsible for blocking Nellie getting into the Hall for so many years.

LITTLE NELL
04-08-2012, 08:19 AM
And he was apparently responsible for blocking Nellie getting into the Hall for so many years.

When he was managing he was up at the top in the respect and class department along with Alston.
Later on when I found out that he kept Nellie out of the Hall all those years I lost a little respect for him but I will still say he was the best Sox manager ever. No manager could handle a pitching staff like Lopez. Having Ray Berres as your pitching coach didn't hurt either. When you look at his rosters of posistion players for 1963, 1964 and 1965 its amazing that they won 94,98 and 95 games in those years.

SI1020
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
When he was managing he was up at the top in the respect and class department along with Alston.
Later on when I found out that he kept Nellie out of the Hall all those years I lost a little respect for him but I will still say he was the best Sox manager ever. No manager could handle a pitching staff like Lopez. Having Ray Berres as your pitching coach didn't hurt either. When you look at his rosters of posistion players for 1963, 1964 and 1965 its amazing that they won 94,98 and 95 games in those years. Very true. I would definitely rate Al Lopez as the best Sox manager in my lifetime, but he was not a perfect man. He could be thin skinned and vindictive at times. It was also a much different era. Deference to authority was expected in the workplace, and the players did not make crazy amounts of money.

hawkjt
04-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Robin is certainly going to have a quieter ''presence'' than Ozzie.
If the team does not respond some will say it it is a dull chemistry situation.
Personally, I think the team in general will be relieved to have the circus out of town,and a little less ''lively'' clubhouse.

Robin is a very likable guy,who probably will not make a lot of waves...which is a nice contrast to the last guy in this part of the season anyway. Let baseball be the focus,and hopefully, that is enough thru September,ie..if not in contention,then development of youngsters is interesting.

TomBradley72
04-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I think it's a big mistake if anyone confuses Robin's "style" with being dull, blase, etc.

He seems to clearly understand his role as the manager and his role with the players- and he comes across as being decisive and comfortable making those decisions (moving Rios to RF/Viciedo to LF, Santiago as closer, Jones over Bruney for the last slot on the staff).

He has one of the strongest reputations of anyone in MLB (or Chicago baseball)- and I think he knows it and he can use that to his advantage if any of his players get out of line. I've been following the game for 40 years- he has the respect of the league equal to just about anyone(as a player, a leader and as a person)

guillensdisciple
04-08-2012, 10:04 AM
The managing situation is kind of like a really bad break up where all you want is someone completely different than who you had before.

Enter Ventura, and boy is he awesome right now.

Ron Karkovice
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Santiago then handed it back while replying "just take it man." after a few more exchanges Gordon Beckham then finally stepped in exclaiming "guys, I'll just take this special ball.". Later that same night, gordan walked up to home plate with his favorite bat. He then tossed the ball up and followed by getting in his batting stance. He then whiffed by 2 feet.

spawn
04-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Santiago then handed it back while replying "just take it man." after a few more exchanges Gordon Beckham then finally stepped in exclaiming "guys, I'll just take this special ball.". Later that same night, gordan walked up to home plate with his favorite bat. He then tossed the ball up and followed by getting in his batting stance. He then whiffed by 2 feet.
Weak sauce.

Ron Karkovice
04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Weak sauce.

Negged.