PDA

View Full Version : 2012 AL Central Watch Thread - April

doublem23
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Austin Jackson's 1-out single in the bottom of the 9th plates the winning run, Tigers beat Boston 3-2 at Comerica and are out to an early lead in the division.

VenturaFan23
04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Austin Jackson's 1-out single in the bottom of the 9th plates the winning run, Tigers beat Boston 3-2 at Comerica and are out to an early lead in the division.

Valverde blew the save. Looks like that horseshoe he had up his ass all last season finally dropped.

ChiSoxFann
04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Valverde blew the save. Looks like that horseshoe he had up his ass all last season finally dropped.

Hope it's the first of many this year.

dwitt76
04-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Cleveland blows a save in their game as well.

ChiSoxGal85
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
That's the best news I heard today. :D: Verlander was scarily solid, again. Sigh.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM

All that chest-thumping and theatrics he does after every save must have shaken it loose.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
That's the best news I heard today. :D: Verlander was scarily solid, again. Sigh.

I think Verlander is going to be good all year, perhaps not as good as he was last year but still frighteningly good. Valverde on the other hand...

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
The Indians took a 4-0 lead early on and cruised most of the way, led by a great performance from Justin Masterson: 8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 10 K's. Then, they blew that lead in the 9th, as the Jays come back to tie it up.

They are still tied at 4---in the 15th!

Shin-Soo Choo nearly gets knocked down by a pitch, he doesn't rush the mound but yells at the pitcher. Cleveland fans start chanting "USA! USA! USA" against the Blue Jays (Choo is from South Korea).

Top 16, JP Arencibia hits a 3-run HR to give Toronto a 7-4 lead. :rolling:

Santos shuts the door and Toronto wins it in 16.

Twins_Morneau
04-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Ahhh finally baseball is back.:D:

Twins_Morneau
04-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Tigers are one scary team, they keep healthy and I think they could be WS bound.

hawkjt
04-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Tigers #2 starter,Doug Fister,left the game in the 4th yesterday vs the Red Sox,with a strained rib injury,and was placed on the 15 day DL after the game. Tigers called up a right handed reliver ,Villereal, from the minors. The Tigers indicated that Fister could miss a number of starts depending on how he responds to treatment.

Rookie starter,Duane Below,came in for Fister and pitched 2.2 innings in relief and got the win. Tigers have indicated that Below will probably start in Fister next spot,vs the White Sox in their home opener next Friday.

Good news? Sox will not face Verlander or Fister in a series,which probably will not happen the rest of the year. It seemed like Verlander was on the mound in every series vs the Sox last year.

The Tigers might be able to just bludgeon their way to the AL Central title,but if they have a chink in their armor...could it be their pitching? Valverde blows a save, Fister goes down...lets hope so.

Oblong
04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
As of yesterday afternoon, there were 5 blown saves so far this young season

SephClone89
04-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Max Scherzer. Ouch.

SephClone89
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Twins being no-hit through 7 by Jason Hammel.

EDIT: broken up by a Morneau double.

DirtySox
04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Miggy with a 3 run homer to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th.

Tigers can mash.

guillensdisciple
04-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Miggy with a 3 run homer to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th.

Tigers can mash.

Ye that team will mash unless someone gets injured. If we're making the playoffs, it will be through the wild card.

DSpivack
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Crazy game in Detroit finally ends, as Alex Avila hits a 2-run shot to RF to win it 13-12 to complete the sweep over Boston.

SephClone89
04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Holy **** Detroit.

TDog
04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Ye that team will mash unless someone gets injured. If we're making the playoffs, it will be through the wild card.

I think a lot will depend on their pitching and defense. If the Tigers have a lot of games like Saturday, they will run away with the division. If they have a lot of games like today, the season will wear them down. Poor pitching outings compound on one another and destroy your bullpen, which was key in the Tigers winning last year. I've seen a lot of team that destroyed everyone offensively and didn't have anything left in August, even in the days when amphetamines were more prevalent.

The Tigers had a great weekend, but if they had been going up against a team with a shutdown bullpen, they could be 1-2. Right now you really don't know if the Red Sox bullpen is that bad or if the Tigers are that good, but the Red Sox relievers twice went into the game today three outs away with a multi-run lead and twice blew the save.

Funny thing about this Tigers-Red Sox series, there were in two one-run games, there were no saves and three blown saves.

Broccoli Rob
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Is there any way to gauge how many times the Sox will have to play Verlander this year? It seems like last year the Sox had to face him a disproportionate amount of times.

Frater Perdurabo
04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Is there any way to gauge how many times the Sox will have to play Verlander this year? It seems like last year the Sox had to face him a disproportionate amount of times.

If the Sox play six series against the Tigers, it is possible they could face him six times.

Broccoli Rob
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
If the Sox play six series against the Tigers, it is possible they could face him six times.

I just looked it up. That's exactly what happened last year.

6vSOX
3vMIN
3vCLE
3vKC

How about them apples.

VenturaFan23
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Royals taking 2 out of 3 from the Angels. Hosmer looking scary so far.

Twins_Morneau
04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
If opening series are signs of things to come Twins will be dead last in this division. If Mauer doesn't start batting .400 things might get ugly for him up here in Minny.:popcorn:

doublem23
04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I just looked it up. That's exactly what happened last year.

6vSOX
3vMIN
3vCLE
3vKC

How about them apples.

Surprisingly the Sox were one of the better teams against Verlander last year.

.662 oOPS was 4th best against him in 2011
1.038 oWHIP was 6th against him in 2011
2.91 ERA 4th best against him

Yet he still won 5 of those 6 starts

:shrug:

hawkjt
04-09-2012, 01:11 AM
The Sox are not scheduled to face Verlander next weekend in the opening home series,unless Leyland changes his rotation to do it,which he did do a couple of times last year.

SoxSpeed22
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
If opening series are signs of things to come Twins will be dead last in this division. If Mauer doesn't start batting .400 things might get ugly for him up here in Minny.:popcorn:With a homestand against the Angels and Rangers, then off to New York and Tampa, and lastly home games against Boston and KC, this could make for a very ugly month for the Twins. Mauer would have to have a record month just to keep them afloat.

Tragg
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Twins may not win a game.

dwitt76
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Rays take a 1-0 lead on Detroit in snow flurries.

JB98
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
The Sox are not scheduled to face Verlander next weekend in the opening home series,unless Leyland changes his rotation to do it,which he did do a couple of times last year.

According to the probables, Verlander is going to pitch Wednesday. He won't face the Sox unless Leyland brings him back on three days rest to pitch Sunday. Can't see a move like that being made in April.

Broccoli Rob
04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Detroit up 5-2, likely to start the season 4-0 for the first time since pre-internets.

Oblong
04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Tigers were 5-0 in 2006......

:redneck

Broccoli Rob
04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Sorry, start the season 4-0 at home since pre-intertubes. A meaningless stat that the AP forced me to read in their preview. :)

asindc
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Longoria singles off Verlander with 1 out in top 9th to knock in Jennings from 2nd and tie game at 2-2.

VenturaFan23
04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Longoria singles off Verlander with 1 out in top 9th to knock in Jennings from 2nd and tie game at 2-2.

Atta boy Longo!

sox1970
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Atta boy Longo!

I tend to think it would be a better thing for the Sox in the long run that the Tigers beat the AL East teams as much as possible.

But for now, it's good to see Verlander blow his chance at his first win.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
4-2 TB still up top 9

EDIT: 4-2 Tampa heading to the bottom of the 9th. Cabrera, Fielder and Jah-hahn-ee due up.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
It's over, Tampa w/a 4 spot in the top of the 9th deals the Tigers their first loss 4-2.

Broccoli Rob
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Not a great start to the season for Valverde.

Oblong
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
One positive for me from this game:

Last week Verlander was rolling and at 100 pitches, Leyland brings in Valverde in the 9th, Boson ties it up. Leyland's an idiot for taking JV out. blah blah blah.

Today Verlander's rolling at 80 pitches, Leyland keeps him in, TB ties, then goes ahead. Leyland's an idiot for no bringing in his closer. blah blah blah.

that is all.

hawkjt
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Last week Verlander was rolling and at 100 pitches, Leyland brings in Valverde in the 9th, Boson ties it up. Leyland's an idiot for taking JV out. blah blah blah.

Today Verlander's rolling at 80 pitches, Leyland keeps him in, TB ties, then goes ahead. Leyland's an idiot for no bringing in his closer. blah blah blah.

that is all.

I agree...both are positive developments. Leyland should get the benefit of the doubt after last year.
I hope that Valverde's magic run is over,and the absolute abuse of Verlanders arm last year takes a bit of his edge away this year.
The man is not a machine,is he?

Nice rally by the Rays...they are a scrappy bunch. Two playoff teams probably.

TDog
04-11-2012, 03:37 PM

that is all.

So, you're saying Leyland has twice made the wrong decision on whether to leave Verlander in to pitch the ninth with a 2-0 lead.

Tragg
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I saw Valverde pitch a lot of Astros games - I found him common. But he'd come in to pitch one inning, albeit the 9th, so he got a lot of saves. The other thing about Detroit is that they got extremely hot the last 6 weeks of the season (sort of like us in 1983)....not sure that record is their reality.

Oblong
04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
So, you're saying Leyland has twice made the wrong decision on whether to leave Verlander in to pitch the ninth with a 2-0 lead.

No, I'm saying people over react and a manager can't win if the players don't perform. If Verlander had given up the game tying hits last week, he gets ripped for not going to his closer.

I actually agreed with both moves.

My take was more against fans who analyze every game like it's a football season instead of the marathon baseball season. Every team will win some they shouldn't and lose some they shouldn't.

The Rays are good. Very good.

Marqhead
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Broxton's 12th for the Royals:

J Broxton relieved T Collins.
4 3 D Barton struck out looking.
4 3 S Smith hit for C Cowgill.
4 3 S Smith safe at first on error by shortstop A Escobar.
4 3 J Weeks walked, S Smith to second.
4 3 E Sogard walked, S Smith to third, J Weeks to second.
4 3 C Crisp grounded out to second, S Smith scored, J Weeks to third, E Sogard to second.
4 4 Y Cespedes hit by pitch.
4 4 J Gomes hit by pitch, J Weeks scored, E Sogard to third, Y Cespedes to second.
4 5

TDog
04-12-2012, 01:25 AM
No, I'm saying people over react and a manager can't win if the players don't perform. If Verlander had given up the game tying hits last week, he gets ripped for not going to his closer.

I actually agreed with both moves.

My take was more against fans who analyze every game like it's a football season instead of the marathon baseball season. Every team will win some they shouldn't and lose some they shouldn't.

The Rays are good. Very good.

Of course fans overreact. They do it at WSI all the time.

That doesn't change the fact that Leyland twice made the wrong move with Verlander pitching a 2-0 shutout after eight innings. If I'm a Tigers fan, I don't see anything positive in that.

That doesn't mean Leyland is an idiot. I might have made the same wrong moves if I were him, or not. That isn't particularly relevant. Managing a baseball team is more art than science, and no one is running a control experiment to see what would have happened if an alternate move had been made.

I wouldn't necessarily say the Tigers should have won today if that means the Rays should have lost. The Tigers could have won, but Verlander, as it turned out, didn't even have a quality start. He couldn't even blame the defense. And, really, the Tigers might have had two losses against the Red Sox this weekend if the Red Sox had a stronger bullpen.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Of course fans overreact. They do it at WSI all the time.

That doesn't change the fact that Leyland twice made the wrong move with Verlander pitching a 2-0 shutout after eight innings. If I'm a Tigers fan, I don't see anything positive in that.

That doesn't mean Leyland is an idiot. I might have made the same wrong moves if I were him, or not. That isn't particularly relevant. Managing a baseball team is more art than science, and no one is running a control experiment to see what would have happened if an alternate move had been made.

I wouldn't necessarily say the Tigers should have won today if that means the Rays should have lost. The Tigers could have won, but Verlander, as it turned out, didn't even have a quality start. He couldn't even blame the defense. And, really, the Tigers might have had two losses against the Red Sox this weekend if the Red Sox had a stronger bullpen.

You can make the right move and still be wrong. On Opening Day Verlander was at 100 something pitches when Leyland went to his closer. To me that just seems like a no brainer. I know Verlander is great and all but if you're not going to give the ball to your closer then when are you going to give the ball to him? Today Verlander was at 80 something pitches going into the 9th. Why not let Verlander try and shut the door then? For me it seems like Leyland made the right move both times and in neither case did he get the outcome he was looking for.

Oblong
04-12-2012, 07:23 AM
You can make the right move and still be wrong. On Opening Day Verlander was at 100 something pitches when Leyland went to his closer. To me that just seems like a no brainer. I know Verlander is great and all but if you're not going to give the ball to your closer then when are you going to give the ball to him? Today Verlander was at 80 something pitches going into the 9th. Why not let Verlander try and shut the door then? For me it seems like Leyland made the right move both times and in neither case did he get the outcome he was looking for.

Exactly. If the Opening Day game was in August, I'd leave Verlander in at 100 pitches. He's proven to be durable. But it's the first game of the year.

And in yesterday's game Verlander had given up just 1 hit and as you said, at 80 pitches. That's a no brainer. It's more of one than Opening Day.

hawkjt
04-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I would have more of a question with Leyland about bringing in Valverde in a tie game. The guy has been lock solid with a lead,but not in a tie situation,like many closers.

Twins_Morneau
04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Willingham with 4HRs... The next Bautista?:tongue:

asindc
04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Willingham with 4HRs... The next Bautista?:tongue:

If he had hit like that with the Nats, they would have kept him.

TDog
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Leaving Verlander in Wednesday was the wrong move. Bringing in Valverde to relieve Verlander on opening day was the wrong move.

If you're a manager and you make a move that fails, it is the wrong move by definition. If you're a manager, you will make some wrong moves.

There are differences between the smart move, the percentage move and the right move. If you play the percentages all the time, you are going to make some wrong moves. Sometimes fans aren't in a position to know what the smart move is. I have never believed I was in a better position than a manager to make a move or make a lineup. I have disagreed with things that managers have done, believed they have done things I wouldn't have done, but I'm in no position to call any manager, except Maury Wills, an idiot.

The managers that bother me are the ones who make moves (or don't make moves) based on the potential criticism they would bring.

DSpivack
04-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Leaving Verlander in Wednesday was the wrong move. Bringing in Valverde to relieve Verlander on opening day was the wrong move.

If you're a manager and you make a move that fails, it is the wrong move by definition. If you're a manager, you will make some wrong moves.

There are differences between the smart move, the percentage move and the right move. If you play the percentages all the time, you are going to make some wrong moves. Sometimes fans aren't in a position to know what the smart move is. I have never believed I was in a better position than a manager to make a move or make a lineup. I have disagreed with things that managers have done, believed they have done things I wouldn't have done, but I'm in no position to call any manager, except Maury Wills, an idiot.

The managers that bother me are the ones who make moves (or don't make moves) based on the potential criticism they would bring.

Not even Terry Bevington?

TDog
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Not even Terry Bevington?

I didn't actually see many of the games he managed. I only heard the dirty version on the street.

vinny
04-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Man, the Royals suck. They've dropped 10 in a row now.

In other news, we stand to take over 2nd today from the Toons.

guillensdisciple
04-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Weren't the royals supposed to break out this year, for serious this time?

vinny
04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Weren't the royals supposed to break out this year, for serious this time?

I think one of the ESPN guys picked them for second in the AL Central, but most of the fan sites seemed to think they would be a sub-.500 team this season.

Zakath
04-22-2012, 06:36 PM

The last 9 of those were at home too. They still have 1 more vs. Toronto tomorrow before they go on the road for 9 straight: 3 each at Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit before they come home to see... New York (4) and Boston (3). We finally see them after that.

Zakath
04-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I think one of the ESPN guys picked them for second in the AL Central, but most of the fan sites seemed to think they would be a sub-.500 team this season.

They've only finished over .500 once in the last 17 seasons; the fans weren't really making a leap of faith to pick them to be losers again.

Twins_Morneau
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Man we have had a brutal April schedule. Feels like we've been transferred to the AL East.

And congrats to Humber for the perfect game, I liked him when he was pitching for us.

guillensdisciple
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Man we have had a brutal April schedule. Feels like we've been transferred to the AL East.

And congrats to Humber for the perfect game, I liked him when he was pitching for us.

You guys have been absolutely stacked against in the first month. Still, performance wise, you guys have been playing up to the competition for the most part.

I can see the Twins being major league pests this year.

The Immigrant
04-22-2012, 10:09 PM

I think you forgot to put this in teal. The Twins are awful and will stay that way for a long time.

Foulke You
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
You guys have been absolutely stacked against in the first month. Still, performance wise, you guys have been playing up to the competition for the most part.

Twins are too thin in many areas to be contenders this year I think. They don't have the arms in the rotation or the bullpen like they had in years past. The loss of Baker is a huge blow to their starting rotation, Capps is not what I would call an elite closer, and gone are the lockdown bullpen arms like Guerrier, Crain, and Rauch that Gardenhire used to use almost every game in successful years like 2010. They probably won't be as bad as KC but I don't look for the Twins to contend this season.

guillensdisciple
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
When I say pest I don't mean they'll be contenders or even a .500 team. They'll just be an annoying team to play.

vinny
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
How bad are the Royals? Even the kids are throwing balls back:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20849293&topic_id=&c_id=kc&tcid=vpp_copy_20849293&v=3

Dibbs
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
I thought this was the Royals big breakout year? They were a sure thing to pass up the Sox. Just goes to prove once again that the 'experts' predictions are as worthless as always.

Foulke You
04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I thought this was the Royals big breakout year? They were a sure thing to pass up the Sox. Just goes to prove once again that the 'experts' predictions are as worthless as always.
It seems the so called experts pick KC to break out every single year and every single year, I say "where is their pitching staff?". This year, their offense is off to a slow start to go along with their awful pitching.

Foulke You
04-23-2012, 11:42 PM
When I say pest I don't mean they'll be contenders or even a .500 team. They'll just be an annoying team to play.
Ah, I misunderstood. However, the Twins are an annoying team to play every year.:cool:

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2012, 11:45 PM
It seems the so called experts pick KC to break out every single year and every single year, I say "where is their pitching staff?". This year, their offense is off to a slow start to go along with their awful pitching.

I don't know what experts you're reading but every expert I have read the past few years have said that the Royals are a few years away from contending. This was supposed to be the year they finished above .500 but they have been decimated by injuries and their pitching is just non-existent. I'd really like to see KC and Pittsburgh start winning though (well, I'd like to KC start winning the wild card while we take the division).

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't know what experts you're reading but every expert I have read the past few years have said that the Royals are a few years away from contending. This was supposed to be the year they finished above .500 but they have been decimated by injuries and their pitching is just non-existent. I'd really like to see KC and Pittsburgh start winning though (well, I'd like to KC start winning the wild card while we take the division).

The Pirates have a fun set of OFs but little else.

The Royals have a lot of good young players, but they're mostly at the corners and they have no pitching.

I'd like to see either team do well, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The Royals at least have some pitching prospects down on the farm, but they're not that close to the big leagues, as far as I know.

Foulke You
04-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Sports Illustrated had the Royals at 82W-80L finishing in second place. I read another publication that had KC finishing second at 85 wins. "Look out for the Royals in a couple years" has been a popular sentiment for at least 10 years. As we both pointed out, they have no starting pitching staff and with Soria out, they have no closer. They still have some good hitters in that lineup like Butler, Hosmer, Gordon etc. even though some of them haven't started hitting yet. Melky Cabrera was a huge part of that offense though and is no longer there. Honestly, as a Sox fan, it's perfectly fine with me if KC remains in the basement.

hawkjt
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I wish the Sox were playing the Royals right now,when their young bats are struggling. You know that they will hit by summer,and be a royal pain in the butt for the Sox. Hosmer and Gordon are slumping right now,and their pitching is a mess, but they always give the Sox fits.

And really, it is way too early to draw any conclusions on the season.
Marathon season,gang.
But, as we know, April wins count just the same,and the Sox usually have to fight back from bad springs in June vs the NL teams...be nice if they could be over .500 when that stretch comes this year.

doublem23
04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Sports Illustrated had the Royals at 82W-80L finishing in second place. I read another publication that had KC finishing second at 85 wins. "Look out for the Royals in a couple years" has been a popular sentiment for at least 10 years. As we both pointed out, they have no starting pitching staff and with Soria out, they have no closer. They still have some good hitters in that lineup like Butler, Hosmer, Gordon etc. even though some of them haven't started hitting yet. Melky Cabrera was a huge part of that offense though and is no longer there. Honestly, as a Sox fan, it's perfectly fine with me if KC remains in the basement.

The offense in Kansas City should eventually pick it up, but again, their problem is that they have no pitching. Their rotation right now is Chen, Hochevar, Duffy, Luis Mendoza, and Jonathan Sanchez. I know Duffy has a high ceiling, but in 2012, are any of those guys better than a #4 SP on a good team? In 17.1 IP, Duffy's already walked 10 guys, Hochevar is still an enigma, Chen is crafty but he can't keep up a 2.52 ERA all season, and I think if you put a gun to Mendoza or Sanchez's head and told them they just had to throw 1 strike, they might not be able to do it. Minus Soria, their bullpen is also relatively awful, as well.

All signs point to another 60-70 win season in Kansas City. They really, really, really suck.

Marqhead
04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
All signs point to another 60-70 win season in Kansas City. They really, really, really suck.

I'm pretty envious of the Royals right now...

GoGoCrede
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
YIKES, 11 losses in a row?

JB98
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Historically bad homestand for the Royals. They just can't seem to develop any pitching there.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
That organization is suffering because of the inept ownership of David Glass.

Lip

Zakath
04-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Seattle's offense decided to wake up after the slumber. Only scored 5 runs in a game twice in the past two weeks, but they have 5 in the first 5 innings off of Scherzer in Detroit.

Zakath
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Mariners beat the Tigers 7-4. A win gives us first place.

vinny
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
YIKES, 11 losses in a row?

Make it 12. :stars:

Seattle's offense decided to wake up after the slumber. Only scored 5 runs in a game twice in the past two weeks, but they have 5 in the first 5 innings off of Scherzer in Detroit.

Kitties lose 7-4. :wooty:

KMcMahon817
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Minus Soria, their bullpen is also relatively awful, as well.

Soria is out for the year.

Moses_Scurry
04-25-2012, 07:39 PM
The Mighty Mariners giving it to the Tigers again.

Makes me feel a little better about this Oakland crapfest.

vinny
04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Seattle downs Detroit 9-1, and the Royals are glad to be back on the road. They spanked the Toons 8-2 to end their losing streak.

Back to a 3-way tie for first.

The Immigrant
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Cleveland just lost a series to the Royals, who were coming off 10 straight losses. :tongue:
Detroit losing to Seattle heading into the 8th inning.

DonnieDarko
04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Cleveland just lost a series to the Royals, who were coming off 10 straight losses. :tongue:

I'm going to the game tonight. I seriously hope that the Sox capitalize on these ALC losses--especially from the Tigers. God knows that we're going to need them down the stretch.

The Immigrant
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Mariners beat the Tigers.

asindc
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Detroit just got swept at home against that garbage team Seattle that the Sox just swept on the road. How could they let that happen?

doublem23
04-26-2012, 03:00 PM
White Sox are currently in sole possession of 1st place in the AL Central pending the outcome of tonight's game

dwitt76
04-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Detroit just got swept at home against that garbage team Seattle that the Sox just swept on the road. How could they let that happen?

Fire Leyland!

vinny
04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
12, actually. Makes it even better.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
ASIN:

And again they'll still win 90+ when all is said and done and probably make the playoffs... will the Sox?

Just sayin'...

Lip

asindc
04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
ASIN:

And again they'll still win 90+ when all is said and done and probably make the playoffs... will the Sox?

Just sayin'...

Lip

The point is that losing games to inexperienced pitchers and garbage teams is not unique to the Sox. Therefore, it is not evidence of organization mismanagement, at least not anymore than it is in any other organization. It is evidence of bad play and, to a lesser extent, bad coaching, something even the best teams are guilty of at least 50 times a year.

Foulke You
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
So one month into the season, what are everyone's thoughts about the AL Central?

Indians: I'm surprised at the Tribe's competitiveness, specifically the pitching of Derek Lowe. It could be that they have faced some struggling teams like the Angels and KC to right their ship but overall, they have played a lot better than I thought so far.

Tigers: They have some flaws right now. Fister is hurt, Max Scherzer has been scuffling, and they have lost Delmon Young for a while or perhaps the whole season. Cabrera, Fielder, and Verlander still are a force to be reckoned with in the division and will keep the Tigers in the hunt all year.

White Sox: We all know what our flaws are. The offense will decide how far our team goes. Starting pitching and bullpen looks strong other than the learning curve for young Santiago.

Royals: KC is missing their closer and they have guys off to really slow starts. Alex Gordon has been scuffling quite a bit since signing the big contract. Starting pitching staff doesn't really resemble a contender either. I see them improving as the season goes along but they are still too young and don't have enough pitching.

Twins: Starting rotation is suspect with Liriano pitching poorly and Baker out for the season. Willingham is playing great but like the Sox, they struggle to score runs at times. However, they don't have the pitching depth to keep them afloat like the Sox.

Our division could end up a 3 horse race between the Tigers, Tribe, and Sox. It's too early to say, but it may be an 87 to 90 win type of division winner this year based on what we've seen in April.

KenBerryGrab
04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Royals winless at home....

https://p.twimg.com/ArNuPsTCMAETfro.jpg

BigKlu59
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Royals winless at home....

https://p.twimg.com/ArNuPsTCMAETfro.jpg

I wonder if they will pass out "War and Peace" at the All Star Game? When you think things are bad for the Pale Hose, just think of the crap a Royals fan has watched anteing up to push thru the turnstyle... O-fer home is akin to watching Yankee moss forming on the south side of a tree..

BK59

hawkjt
05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Good news for the Royals today...they win.
Double good news for the Sox...Royals beat the Tigers 3-2,with Verlander going 8 innings but getting a no-decision after 123 pitches.
Jamie Getz comes thru for the Royals(and the Sox) with a two out top of the ninth infield hit to drive in the winning run against Benoit.

Meanwhile,with Verlander going today, the Sox will miss him in Detroit this weekend....nice.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Double good news for the Sox...Royals beat the Tigers 3-2,with Verlander going 8 innings but getting a no-decision after 123 pitches.
Jamie Getzcomes thru for the Royals(and the Sox) with a two out top of the ninth infield hit to drive in the winning run against Benoit.

Meanwhile,with Verlander going today, the Sox will miss him in Detroit this weekend....nice.

:scratch:

Is that Chris's long-lost twin?

All kidding aside, that's good news. Now let's take care of business against the Tribe.

Chez
05-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Jamie Getz comes thru for the Royals(and the Sox) with a two out top of the ninth infield hit to drive in the winning run against Benoit.

Chris Getz's alter ego? :cool:

TDog
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Missing Verlander is a break. It isn't that the Tigers don't have other pitchers who can beat the White Sox. The Tigers have a no-name rookie left hander who has an ERA of 1.23 in four major league starts, and an even lower WHIP. But the Tigers are a better team when Verlander is pitching. The days when the Sox used to get to him when he tired in the middle innings are long gone.

The Sox faced the Tigers in six series last year and faced Verlander six times, I believe, including a time or two when Leyland changed his rotation to send Verlander against the Sox, who were very much in the race in August. Early in the season against a team deemed garbage by the national media with the Tigers destined to run away with the division, there is no reason to schedule Verlander around starts against the Sox. Missing Verlander is a break the Sox did not experience last year.

Many assumed that for Verlander 2012 would be an MVP-like extension of 2011. As well as Verlander has pitched, it hasn't worked out that way though his first start in May. He hasn't been getting a lot of run support, but last year he won without a lot of run support.

doublem23
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Many assumed that for Verlander 2012 would be an MVP-like extension of 2011. As well as Verlander has pitched, it hasn't worked out that way though his first start in May. He hasn't been getting a lot of run support, but last year he won without a lot of run support.

Obviously, this was only his 5th start of the season, but he's pitching better than he did in 2011 early on. He's allowing less baserunners, allowing fewer home runs, allowing fewer extra base hits, striking out batters at just a slightly lower tick, pitching deeper into games, and opposing teams have a lower BA, OBP, and SLG against him so far this year.

Of course, the only thing he's not doing as well is getting wins because the Tigers are giving him over a full run less of support in his starts and the bullpen has already blown leads in 2 games that he exited as the winning pitcher of record.

TDog
05-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Obviously, this was only his 5th start of the season, but he's pitching better than he did in 2011 early on. He's allowing less baserunners, allowing fewer home runs, allowing fewer extra base hits, striking out batters at just a slightly lower tick, pitching deeper into games, and opposing teams have a lower BA, OBP, and SLG against him so far this year.

Of course, the only thing he's not doing as well is getting wins because the Tigers are giving him over a full run less of support in his starts and the bullpen has already blown leads in 2 games that he exited as the winning pitcher of record.

I'm not disputing that, and I'm certainly not saying he has been a bad pitcher. I'm saying he hasn't been the MVP that he was when baseball left off in 2011. The Tigers are .500 in his starts, including a loss when Verlander stayed in for the ninth and blew the lead on his own. The Tigers easily could be below .500. The Tigers as a team seem to be looking for ways to lose when Verlander starts, despite Tigers management improving the offense.

Still, I stand by what I wrote, that the White Sox have caught a break by missing Verlander in each of their first two series.

hawkjt
05-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Chris Getz's alter ego? :cool:

Ooops...embarrassing mistake.:(:

I like the Sox rotation the next 4 days...lefty Danks vs the Indians lefty hitters, then Peavy,Floyd and Sale vs the Tigers,Sox three hottest starters.

Of course,Sox still have to score some runs to win....ohmy.

Twins_Morneau
05-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Time to blow up this steaming turd of a roster called the Twins. Anyone interested in a 23 million dollar singles hitter?:scratch:

JB98
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Time to blow up this steaming turd of a roster called the Twins. Anyone interested in a 23 million dollar singles hitter?:scratch:

That contract was really the beginning of the end for the Twins. Once they had to give Mauer all that coin, they couldn't afford to retain the quality depth players who had helped them through the years. First, they lost useful bullpen pitchers like Crain and Guerrier, then valuable offensive contributors like Kubel and Cuddyer. Their farm system has stopped producing the last couple years, and now they've got some problems.

palehozenychicty
05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
That contract was really the beginning of the end for the Twins. Once they had to give Mauer all that coin, they couldn't afford to retain the quality depth players who had helped them through the years. First, they lost useful bullpen pitchers like Crain and Guerrier, then valuable offensive contributors like Kubel and Cuddyer. Their farm system has stopped producing the last couple years, and now they've got some problems.

And even with all that, they never put together a team good enough to win it all.

When they got to the postseason, they would cry uncle.

Twins_Morneau
05-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Worst part is after you give him the money you build a ballpark that makes it nearly impossible for left handed batters to hit home runs because of the ridiculous right field dimensions. He's getting booed every other at bat right now and you can see it starting to get to him, he is the official whipping boy for fans with all that is wrong with the team because of his contract.

hawkjt
05-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I never thought I would see the day that the golden local boy (Mauer) would ever get booed. You talking about Morneau?

Twins_Morneau
05-04-2012, 05:43 AM
I never thought I would see the day that the golden local boy (Mauer) would ever get booed. You talking about Morneau?

Nope, Mauer.