PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Home Opener

#1swisher
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Bill Murray throwing out the first pitch.

Ricketts: Trust in Theos' Plan

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/05/ricketts-trust-in-theos-plan/

#1swisher
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Kraft Foods, Inc. has installed a big noodle with pork belly bits @ Addison and Clark st.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120405/NEWS06/120409883/baseball-and-pork-belly-in-the-air-at-wrigley

Thome25
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
That video board in right field looks fantastic.

Golden Sox
04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Cubs Lose, Cubs Lose, Holy Cow!

FielderJones
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Nats tally 1 in the 8th, 1 in the 9th, the Cubs waste a triple in the 9th, for a sweet, sweet, Cubs opening day loss. :tongue:

fram40
04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Ignominious failure marks the start of the Epstein era.

Bad base running, bad fielding, bad relief pitching. Looks like a recipe for 90 losses

dwitt76
04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
0-1

cws05champ
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
It mad me happy.

robertks61
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
After seeing 4 post's over the last 2 days on FB from Chc fans of the White Sox jersey getting washed and turning into a clown jersey, I'm very happy for the loss!

Brian26
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM
:rolling:

HomeFish
04-05-2012, 05:02 PM
The Nats are my second team, it was good to see them start off with a win. But this was a gift-wrapped win: the middle of their lineup failed to deliver multiple times until Kerry Wood walked them.

Nats are not going to give up many runs, but they won't score too many either. Lots of 2-1 games in their future.

kittle42
04-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I paid 6 bucks for Brad Lidge, so thank the right field wall and the wind for my save today.

doublem23
04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/3821.png&w=350&h=254
I'm in midseason form, guys

Lip Man 1
04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
The start of the Epstein era promises to be a repeat of all the other starts over the last what, 104 years?

In four years time when this guy hasn't won **** and gets dumped I'll be curious who the Cubs anoint as the next "savior."

Lip

kittle42
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Not even Epstein thinks he'll win this year, and he made some excellent moves in the offseason for the future. I wouldn't get too giddy about a Cubs 5th or 6th place finish in his first year.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Not even Epstein thinks he'll win this year, and he made some excellent moves in the offseason for the future. I wouldn't get too giddy about a Cubs 5th or 6th place finish in his first year.

I agree, this isn't like 2007 when the Cubs were trying to "win now." It could take three to four years before the Cubs are good.

fram40
04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/3821.png&w=350&h=254
I'm in midseason form, guys

was he put on the DL after the game? already?

Dan H
04-05-2012, 05:56 PM

I always get giddy about a Cubs 5th or 6th place finish. It happens so often and never gets old.

doublem23
04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
was he put on the DL after the game? already?

3 straight walks to blow Dempster's 1-run lead.

:bandance:

fram40
04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
3 straight walks to blow Dempster's 1-run lead.

:bandance:

don't forget the stolen base allowed and the wild pitch :):)

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Yep. The Cubs are rebuilding. There are no expectations. A 5th or 6th place finish ultimately is going to help them toward their goal via a high single digit draft pick. If I was a Cubs fan I would be ecstatic that management has committed to a clear direction instead of being stuck in between.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Cubs Lose, Cubs Lose, Holy Cow!
I was especially happy to see this; listened to a little bit of the game in the car, and at the time, Dempster had thrown six innings of one-hit ball. Naturally, their radio team (Pat Hughes and Keith Moreland?) was already ranking it among the greatest opening day starts in baseball history. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

When I got home, I put the game on the tv - the very next pitch by Wood walked in the tying run! :D:

C-Dawg
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
When I got home, I put the game on the tv - the very next pitch by Wood walked in the tying run! :D:

Business as usual! :gulp:

I'm so glad they lost. I think everyone in my office was listening to it on the radio; there was no place I could go to escape it. Sure got quiet in a hurry though!

Brian26
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I agree, this isn't like 2007 when the Cubs were trying to "win now." It could take three to four years before the Cubs are good.

Maybe, maybe not. I laugh at the segment of people (and don't take this personally because it's a large number of people) who think rebuilding means you're bad for a few years and then you're automatically guaranteed to win big. The Cubs may stink for the next seven or eight years. Once you start tearing things apart, there's no guarantee you're going to get back to the top that quickly.

MARTINMVP
04-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Maybe, maybe not. I laugh at the segment of people (and don't take this personally because it's a large number of people) who think rebuilding means you're bad for a few years and then you're automatically guaranteed to win big. The Cubs may stink for the next seven or eight years. Once you start tearing things apart, there's no guarantee you're going to get back to the top that quickly.

On paper, the Cubs should have one of the most competent front offices in MLB. Even though not every individual task they do towards re-building is a guaranteed slam dunk, I'm willing to give Theo and company the benefit of the doubt for right now.

doublem23
04-06-2012, 07:44 AM
On paper, the Cubs should have one of the most competent front offices in MLB. Even though not every individual task they do towards re-building is a guaranteed slam dunk, I'm willing to give Theo and company the benefit of the doubt for right now.

Yeah but these guys have no proven track record of success without being backed by huge payrolls. Also, Theo's favorite "franchise building tools" in Boston were axed in the new CBA. I know the Sawx had a nice run of success for about a decade but a lot of signs point to them entering a period of decline, thanks a lot to mismanagement by their front office.

WSox597
04-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah but these guys have no proven track record of success without being backed by huge payrolls. Also, Theo's favorite "franchise building tools" in Boston were axed in the new CBA. I know the Sawx had a nice run of success for about a decade but a lot of signs point to them entering a period of decline, thanks a lot to mismanagement by their front office.

I'm okay with this if it happens. Their fans are as obnoxious as any in baseball since they won a couple of times.

They need to come down to reality.

Broccoli Rob
04-06-2012, 08:21 AM

What were Theo's favorite franchise building tools?

doublem23
04-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Paying over slot and compsensation draft picks for lost FA

rcescato
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
The start of the Epstein era promises to be a repeat of all the other starts over the last what, 104 years?

In four years time when this guy hasn't won **** and gets dumped I'll be curious who the Cubs anoint as the next "savior."

Lip

Yep the cubs are the cubs. LOL

fram40
04-06-2012, 02:56 PM

I thought his franchise building tools were steroids and buying the best abusers available. Too bad he didn't join the Cubs 15 years ago when Sosa was entering his prime (PED) years. Had he added a roided-up pitcher or two (as he did in BOS), he probably could have prevented the 100 year dry spell.

Why assume that Theo's years are going to be similar to his Boston's years 2004 - '07? Isn't it just as likely that his Cub's tenure will resemble his LAST three years in Boston - no playoff appearances and the biggest September collapse ever? Especially when you consider that he brought along a guy who engineered San Diego's collapse in 2010.

Personally - I loo forward to more Cub collapses and chokes. Seems to be something that Theo and his team do quite well.

Zakath
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Personally - I loo forward to more Cub collapses and chokes. Seems to be something that Theo and his team do quite well.

Well, looks like you're getting your wish today. Bullpen blows it again, as the Nasty Nats score 5 in the top of the 8th, all with 2 outs, off Wood and Marmol again, to turn a 4-2 deficit into a 7-4 win

At least Wood didn't walk them in today. :wink:

gobears1987
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
That pen is hilariously bad.

Zakath
04-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Cubs pen through 2 games: 4.1 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 5 BB, 2 K, 12.46 ERA, 3.46 WHIP

Just Wood and Marmol: 2 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 5 BB, 1 K, 27.00 ERA, 6.00 WHIP

Yeah, that's hilariously bad.

Starters by comparison: 13.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 15 K, 1.98 ERA, 0.80 WHIP

HomeFish
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
This image is making the rounds on the Washington Nationals forum I post on:

http://www.abload.de/img/guncelebgifg0awh.gif

doublem23
04-07-2012, 07:44 PM
That pen is hilariously bad.

Good thing they traded Marshall and Cashner this off-season. It's a process!

fram40
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Theo's a genius!!

DSpivack
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM

My cousin lives in Budlong Woods; Marshall married the daughter of her neighbor across the street. They had just bought a home in Lincolnwood, she says he was a very nice guy.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-07-2012, 11:18 PM
My cousin lives in Budlong Woods; Marshall married the daughter of her neighbor across the street. They had just bought a home in Lincolnwood, she says he was a very nice guy.

I always kinda liked Marshall...felt he was underutilized. Oh well, Cubs' loss.

SoxSpeed22
04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Should have traded Marmol last year. The slider is the only pitch he can consistently get over. The fastball is too unpredictable. I wonder how all of those starters they brought in would do in the pen. Once Rizzo comes in, it could get interesting with that offense.

DSpivack
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I always kinda liked Marshall...felt he was underutilized. Oh well, Cubs' loss.

He didn't work out as a starter, I think they then used him as more of a LOOGY than anything else. He'll get a chance to close in Cincinnati now.

doublem23
04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
He didn't work out as a starter, I think they then used him as more of a LOOGY than anything else. He'll get a chance to close in Cincinnati now.

Cubs used him exclusively out of the 'pen the last 2 seasons and he's been pretty damn impressive

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marshse01.shtml#2010-2011-sum:pitching_standard

That said, they at least got some useable parts for him; Travis Wood's only 25 years old and will be a decent pitcher, plus the kid they got in the deal, Ronald Torreyes apparently was a hitting machine this Spring in Arizona. Only 19 years old, supposedly could push for playing time in Chicago as early as next year.

Cashner's the closer in San Diego now, too, right? Just seems kind of funny that they possibly traded away 40-50 saves in two guys and they'll have Marmol and Wood coughing 'em up all summer long.

DSpivack
04-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Cubs used him exclusively out of the 'pen the last 2 seasons and he's been pretty damn impressive

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marshse01.shtml#2010-2011-sum:pitching_standard

That said, they at least got some useable parts for him; Travis Wood's only 25 years old and will be a decent pitcher, plus the kid they got in the deal, Ronald Torreyes apparently was a hitting machine this Spring in Arizona. Only 19 years old, supposedly could push for playing time in Chicago as early as next year.

Cashner's the closer in San Diego now, too, right? Just seems kind of funny that they possibly traded away 40-50 saves in two guys and they'll have Marmol and Wood coughing 'em up all summer long.

75 IP a year, I guess that is likely more than just a LOOGY.

Foulke You
04-08-2012, 02:47 AM
I believe Huston Street is closing for SD these days. Cashner probably is still better than the Wood/Marmol duo right now.