PDA

View Full Version : Valentin flips me the bird!

jacobp
07-22-2002, 03:10 PM
This is my first post here so let me introduce myself. I am a lifelong (48 years) Sox fan living in the DC area. Like many of you, I live and breathe White Sox baseball. This year, of course, has been one of the most disappointing in recent memory.

Every year, I attend the Sox games at Camden Yards. This year I had pariticularly great seats. Second row, right behind home plate, behind the screen, but a bit off to the Sox dugout side of the plate, about 15 feet from the Sox on-deck circle.

In game 3 of the series, I was wearing my Sox hat and shirt so the players would know that I was a Sox fan. As you will recall, Valentin dropped a routine popup to start the game. When he came to the on deck circle, I let him know how disappointing his play was this year both offensively and defensively and how his presence on the team was retarding the future of Joe Crede. I finally suggested that he should consider retirement, preferably before the start of the bottom of the 2nd inning.

As you know, Valentin then proceeded to hit a 2-run homer. I was very pleased. As he touched home, he looked directly at me, stuck his middle finger in his mouth, took it out and flipped me the bird!!! At first, I thought he was just putting his index finger to his lips to tell me "shhhh" but when I reviewed the tape at home, he clearly gave me "the finger." If you have a tape of the game, check it out, it's really funny.

The people around me thought I'd be upset. Far from it. If that's what it takes to get these underachievers going, I'll do it again and again.

By the way, both Lofton and Thomas delivered after similar "chats" with me during the game.... maybe I'm on to something.

BuehrleACE56
07-22-2002, 03:13 PM
funny story. keep it up.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jacobp
...As you know, Valentin then proceeded to hit a 2-run homer. I was very pleased. As he touched home, he looked directly at me, stuck his middle finger in his mouth, took it out and flipped me the bird!!! At first, I thought he was just putting his index finger to his lips to tell me "shhhh" but when I reviewed the tape at home, he clearly gave me "the finger." If you have a tape of the game, check it out, it's really funny....

Great work. Have you considered applying for the manager's job with Kenny Williams? :cool:

Don't get your hopes up. I'm sure KW is too nervous about his own status to let someone more competent than himself join the organization.

jacobp
07-22-2002, 03:21 PM
After the game was over and we won (thanks to Chris Singleton), Valentin looked up at me and saw me on my feet applauding. He looked over and pumped his fist in the air, I reciprocated in kind.

By the way, Frank did not go out for the post-game winning handshake.

While the Sox were going into the dugout after the post-game handshake, Manuel and Pettis were looking right at me. I leaned over and told Manuel that it was great that we won and that "not even he could have screwed up that victory." Manuel had that "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes, while Pettis was laughing hysterically.

I really missed my chance to let Pettis know how I feel about the job he's doing coaching the team's baserunning..... maybe next time (hopefully, he'll be long gone by the time the Sox come back to Baltimore next year).

duke of dorwood
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Lets turn this guy loose on Williams

nut_stock
07-22-2002, 04:13 PM
You never harassed Tony Phillips did you?

Jerry_Manuel
07-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm sure KW is too nervous about his own status to let someone more competent than himself join the organization.

I don't think he is.

I'm sure he knows he'll be the GM for awhile.

kermittheefrog
07-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jacobp
This is my first post here so let me introduce myself. I am a lifelong (48 years) Sox fan living in the DC area. Like many of you, I live and breathe White Sox baseball. This year, of course, has been one of the most disappointing in recent memory.

Every year, I attend the Sox games at Camden Yards. This year I had pariticularly great seats. Second row, right behind home plate, behind the screen, but a bit off to the Sox dugout side of the plate, about 15 feet from the Sox on-deck circle.

In game 3 of the series, I was wearing my Sox hat and shirt so the players would know that I was a Sox fan. As you will recall, Valentin dropped a routine popup to start the game. When he came to the on deck circle, I let him know how disappointing his play was this year both offensively and defensively and how his presence on the team was retarding the future of Joe Crede. I finally suggested that he should consider retirement, preferably before the start of the bottom of the 2nd inning.

As you know, Valentin then proceeded to hit a 2-run homer. I was very pleased. As he touched home, he looked directly at me, stuck his middle finger in his mouth, took it out and flipped me the bird!!! At first, I thought he was just putting his index finger to his lips to tell me "shhhh" but when I reviewed the tape at home, he clearly gave me "the finger." If you have a tape of the game, check it out, it's really funny.

The people around me thought I'd be upset. Far from it. If that's what it takes to get these underachievers going, I'll do it again and again.

By the way, both Lofton and Thomas delivered after similar "chats" with me during the game.... maybe I'm on to something.

Way to harass one of the team's good players. I'm glad we've got you as a Sox fan. Really, I am.

Foulke You
07-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Way to harass one of the team's good players. I'm glad we've got you as a Sox fan. Really, I am.

Yeah. Valentin is one of the few players who plays 100% every day. That play that he dropped was Bush league but it isn't typical of Jose. He knew he screwed up which is probably why he focused on his 1st at bat. Especially since the error cost the team 1 run. Save your heckling for Royce Clayton.

hold2dibber
07-22-2002, 06:15 PM
It seems more logical to me to allow the Baltimore fans to heckle the Sox players (there certainly is ample fodder for heckling the Sox this year). The only Sox players I'll heckle are those who appear to not give a crap - and Jose certainly doesn't fall into that category.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Who you crappin'???????

Jose should be outta here and Crede should have been here long ago!!!!!!

Daver
07-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo

Who you crappin'???????

Jose should be outta here and Crede should have been here long ago!!!!!!

Why would you get rid of a guy that leads the league in BA with RISP?

Get rid of Royce.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by daver

The "pitching AND DEFENSE" crowd is not very unforgiving, daver.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 07:08 PM

Get rid of Royce.

Daver.......... ok, listen to me ..... get rid of both of them.... NOW, Royce can't hit well enough to cover up for the other hitters in the lineup..... if the team was hitting no one would be pointing their finger at him. He was brought in for his glove and he does that quite well. Since he won't get the opportunity to do what he does best than both him and Jose should go along with Carlos Lee.

Put Borchard in left, Rowand in center, Crede at third, and bring up Hummel or D'Jimenez to play short...... and let Willie Harris play second base. Leave Maggs in right (I know we agree there) and Konerko at first (again we agree) and Thomas is the DH (you don't agree with me here).

Catcher needs to be addressed too.

Spiff
07-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The "pitching AND DEFENSE" crowd is not very unforgiving, daver.

you mean they are unforgiving.

Daver
07-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo

Daver.......... ok, listen to me ..... get rid of both of them.... NOW, Royce can't hit well enough to cover up for the other hitters in the lineup..... if the team was hitting no one would be pointing their finger at him. He was brought in for his glove and he does that quite well. Since he won't get the opportunity to do what he does best than both him and Jose should go along with Carlos Lee.

Put Borchard in left, Rowand in center, Crede at third, and bring up Hummel or D'Jimenez to play short...... and let Willie Harris play second base. Leave Maggs in right (I know we agree there) and Konerko at first (again we agree) and Thomas is the DH (you don't agree with me here).

Catcher needs to be addressed too.

You'll be lucky to win fifty games with that line-up.

And I agree that Frank Will be back,as he should be.

Jerry_Manuel
07-22-2002, 07:25 PM
You'll be lucky to win fifty games with that line-up.

And I agree that Frank Will be back,as he should be.

Isn't that pretty much what the lineup will be? Jose might be in there, but other than him that's it. Rowand will not be a starter, meant to mention that to.

Are you saying he's going to work with Walt in the off season?

Daver
07-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Isn't that pretty much what the lineup will be? Jose might be in there, but other than him that's it. Rowand will not be a starter, meant to mention that to.

Are you saying he's going to work with Walt in the off season?

I don't know for a fact that he will work with Walt in the offseason,if that is what he are asking,but I think he will be fully rocovered from his torn tricep.

Jerry_Manuel
07-22-2002, 07:34 PM
I don't know for a fact that he will work with Walt in the offseason,if that is what he are asking,but I think he will be fully rocovered from his torn tricep.

I'm of the belief that he won't hit like his usual self until he does.

He hit well in 2000 because he saw Walt. His swing talied off towards the end of 2000 because he started swinging for the fences.

He wasn't hitting all that great before he went down last year either. We'll see what happens, I guess.