PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think wins the closer's job?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-05-2012, 04:57 AM
The Sox have about 5 options for closer, and they're being tight-lipped on the subject. So, who do you think opens the season as the closer?

I think ultimately, Crain will get the job due to the experience factor (not necessarily closing experience, but pitching experience in general), but Santiago could be a dark horse if they decide to go young. Whoever it is is just keeping the spot warm for Reed anyway. I'm hoping Thornton doesn't get it, because we've seen him try and fail too many times.

Moses_Scurry
04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I'm pulling for Reed mainly because I like Crain and Thornton as setup men.

russ99
04-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Agree, but it's probably Thornton, or we would have heard something about how the kid's getting his big break by now.

sox1970
04-05-2012, 09:56 AM

This.

The 7th and 8th inning outs are just as important as the 9th, and that's where Thornton and Crain excel. Reed has the closer experience, makeup, and desire to close. He should get the first crack at it.

Santiago would be a surprising choice at this point, but I hope the Sox are in a position in the 9th inning tomorrow to find out who got the job.

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I think Robin will use his bullpen based on matchups for at least the first part of the season. If someone stands out as really successful in the 9th inning role, I think he'll go to more defined roles. I predicted Reed would end the season with the most saves, so I'm sticking with him as the guy who will be closing out most wins by the end of the season.

swisherfan
04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Think it will be Reed....lefty closer? no thanks, I honestly don't think Thornton wants it anyway.....

central44
04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't think Thornton has the right mindset--it didn't work last season, why would it work now? Keep him where he's most effective, as a setup man, until they discover there's no better option.

Those are my feelings, at least--but if I had to guess i'd say they go with Thornton anyway.

sox1970
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
It sure sounds like Hector Santiago could be the guy. Very surprising, but better than Thornton, IMO.

KMcMahon817
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I think Matt will be the go to guy for the first few weeks in the 9th.

But Reed will be the closer for the majority of the year.

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Thornton. Eventually replaced by Reed.

thomas35forever
04-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Anytime the churro guy steps out for the ninth will be interesting.

doublem23
04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Thornton. Eventually replaced by Reed.

My feelings, as well. Thornton today, Reed by October 3.

guillensdisciple
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
I really like how the decision is being handled by Ventura. This lack of information thing is perfect for a franchise that was so loud for so long. Good to see the ship going in the right direction.

I have a feeling it will be Reed

guillensdisciple
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I really like how the decision is being handled by Ventura. This lack of information thing is perfect for a franchise that was so loud for so long. Good to see the ship going in the right direction.

SephClone89
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

You can say that again.

sox1970
04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Matchups, I guess?

http://twitter.com/#!/CST_soxvan/status/188298755861266432

#1swisher
04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Ventura on CSN pregame, told Melton and Garfien "watch in the 9th, we'll helicopter him in". :gulp:

russ99
04-06-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm not a fan. Up to a point, fine. But the manager has some responsibility to inform the fans. This smacks of Kenny's "control the message" mentality and another salvo in his ongoing information battle with the press and the overall fanbase.

But, if it did come from Robin, more power to him.

Also, if today's pitchers (Reed in the 7th and Thornton in the 8th) were an indication, it's probably Crane or maybe Santiago.

doublem23
04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
But the manager has some responsibility to inform the fans.

Why?

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2012, 05:04 PM
why?

x2

JB98
04-06-2012, 05:20 PM
1. The manager has no obligation to tell the fans and media anything.

2. My hunch is Santiago is getting the nod. No inside information, just a hunch.

3. I hope there is a late-inning lead to protect sometime soon.

DirtySox
04-07-2012, 03:21 PM
2. My hunch is Santiago is getting the nod. No inside information, just a hunch.

Your hunch is correct.

tacosalbarojas
04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
It's gotta be Santiago. If it were Thornton or even Reed, I think it would have been conveyed by now. I'm fine with it. Has the best overall stuff, probably, the screwball gives guys a different look and if he falters, a lot easier to move him out quickly than it would be to move Thornton or Crane out.

DirtySox
04-07-2012, 06:04 PM
It's gotta be Santiago. If it were Thornton or even Reed, I think it would have been conveyed by now. I'm fine with it. Has the best overall stuff, probably, the screwball gives guys a different look and if he falters, a lot easier to move him out quickly than it would be to move Thornton or Crane out.

Reed has the best stuff. By far the best relief prospect in baseball right now. That said I don't mind Santiago being given a shot.