PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Talks About His Tenure

Lip Man 1
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Has some interesting things to say. Seems to admit that because of circumstances the Sox are in a bind, says he'd love to invest more in international talent, the minor leagues etc. but has to have the money to do so first.

I think he's just being honest with the situation... as others have said, he takes orders too and can't simply do what he wants. Although he also has to understand part of the reason the Sox are in a bind is because of things he's done.

Anyway here's the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0405-white-sox-preview-chicago--20120405,0,4964175.story

Lip

BRDSR
04-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Has some interesting things to say. Seems to admit that because of circumstances the Sox are in a bind, says he'd love to invest more in international talent, the minor leagues etc. but has to have the money to do so first.

I think he's just being honest with the situation... as others have said, he takes orders too and can't simply do what he wants. Although he also has to understand part of the reason the Sox are in a bind is because of things he's done.

Anyway here's the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0405-white-sox-preview-chicago--20120405,0,4964175.story

Lip

Very true. Every team has some amount of money it's able to spend. Kenny Williams over the past few seasons has probably spent a higher percentage of that money on domestic major league talent than any other organization. That was his choice, and right now it appears his choice didn't pan out. Not saying I disagreed with a majority of his choices, but ultimately he gets paid to be the White Sox GM, not me.

Without a playoff appearance this year or next, I think KW is gone. And I think that's perfectly fair.

russ99
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM
LOL. More of the "50 cents" nonsense.

It's easy to blame Jerry for the lack of funds for international scouting, the draft budget and player development, as a VP and the GM Kenny has some say as to the budgets for those areas.

Thome25
04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

It's easy to blame Jerry for the lack of funds for international scouting, the draft budget and player development, as a VP and the GM Kenny has some say as to the budgets for those areas.

The A's, Twins, and Rays have all been playoff teams (and one of them went to the World Series.) in the past and they had far less in their budget than KW.

KW's act is beyond worn out....it was time for him to leave (along with Ozzie) after last season.

Edit: I feel bad for Robin in all of this. It's not going to be easy starting your first managerial job with a lame-duck GM above you.

chisox12
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
KW's act is beyond worn out....it was time for him to leave (along with Ozzie) after last season.

Exactly. So sick and tired of reading the same **** from KW over and over. He has to go. This is the least excited I have ever been for a baseball season.

kufram
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
The official scapegoat for 2012 revealed before the first pitch.

palehozenychicty
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
The A's, Twins, and Rays have all been playoff teams (and one of them went to the World Series.) in the past and they had far less in their budget than KW.

Edit: I feel bad for Robin in all of this. It's not going to be easy starting your first managerial job with a lame-duck GM above you.

He's had over a decade. One year that will be forever remembered, for start to finish. But his inability to create depth in the organization is why the team could never become a consistent playoff participant. It's unfortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
The official scapegoat for 2012 revealed before the first pitch.

It was revealed as soon as Ozzie was traded and it was announced Kenny was keeping his job. This team is entirely Kenny's design and so is any mess or success that comes with this team.

ktssox
04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
It was revealed as soon as Ozzie was traded and it was announced Kenny was keeping his job. This team is entirely Kenny's design and so is any mess or success that comes with this team.

I don't know. I sort of feel like the hiring of Robin and a very inexperienced coaching staff gives him an out. The upcoming season could be a no-lose one for Kenny. If the team doesn't make it to the playoffs he has the inexperienced coaching staff to fall back on. He'll tell everyone that he knew there were going to be growing pains (in fact, I think he already has said there will be). However, if they do make it, his plan/team was solid all along.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't know. I sort of feel like the hiring of Robin and a very inexperienced coaching staff gives him an out. The upcoming season could be a no-lose one for Kenny. If the team doesn't make it to the playoffs he has the inexperienced coaching staff to fall back on. He'll tell everyone that he knew there were going to be growing pains (in fact, I think he already has said there will be). However, if they do make it, his plan/team was solid all along.

That might be true but he was the guy who hired Robin and if the "growing pains" turn into Quade-esque gaffes (which I think is unlikely) then that will turn on Kenny quickly because it just reinforces his complete inability to properly evaluate talent. If the Sox have another losing year and another bad year at the gate I would think the minority owners would force Jerry's hand and demand some action be taken.

As for Kenny's complaint he didn't have the funds to invest in the draft and international scouting had he not traded for an injured Jake Peavy or made a waiver claim on Rios he could have invested that money into the draft, remember 2009 was supposed to a year where we started to rebuild on the fly but Kenny choose to invest that money in two very high priced veterans.

kufram
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I know people need a focal point for their emotions be it someone to blame for failure or someone to credit for success. It is simplistic to think that the failure of the 2012 White Sox or the success of it will be down to one single person. It's a little more complicated than that.

We're not out of it yet.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I know people need a focal point for their emotions be it someone to blame for failure or someone to credit for success. It is simplistic to think that the failure of the 2012 White Sox or the success of it will be down to one single person. It's a little more complicated than that.

We're not out of it yet.

Obviously I am being a bit pessimistic, I would argue realistic, but it is hard to look at the White Sox and not think of the words directionless and finiancially hand strung, the reason we are in that shape is because of the moves of our GM who always wanted to "win now" at the expense of the future. A good GM has to try to win now while keeping an eye on the future, Kenny has never been able to do the latter and now the White Sox are facing the costs of that.

kobo
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM

The 50 cents nonsense and the garbage about how they're different from all of the other major market teams is old. It's all bull****. If the organization was serious about being a contender then we wouldn't hear this crap from KW. I fear the organization will never get its act together until Jerry sells the team.

Bobby Thigpen
04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
And so have the Sox (been to the playoffs and WS). What's your point?

All of those franchises have also had decent to prolonged down periods. Same as the Sox (save the Rays who are still holding together their talent pool they acquired from being terrible for a decade for the time being). So what is your point? You want the Sox under KW to be more like the A's and Twins? They have been.

Hitmen77
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Anyway here's the link:

Lip

Exactly. So sick and tired of reading the same **** from KW over and over. He has to go. This is the least excited I have ever been for a baseball season.

This is what really aggravates me about KW. I agree that they're in a bind now. But, where was the investment in the minor leagues, international talent, etc. when the team was riding high on ticket sales after the 2005 season?

KW somehow had $10M or so to throw at Manny Ramirez and Edwin Jackson, but now the excuse for having almost no talent in the organization (which has been a problem for YEARS) is a lack of money. I'm not buying it.

This is definitely the least excited I have been about the Sox in a long time. It isn't just what I think their W-L record might be. At least when the team was sucking during years like 1999 or 1989, I was excited about the young talent they had waiting in the wings. Now, we have a mediocre (not horrible) team but nothing much to look forward to on the horizon except for more excuses by Sox management about how they're in a bind.

The Sox may be painted into a corner right now, but Kenny's the one who is holding the brush.

This team got a great bump in being competitive and relevant in Chicago after 2005. Unfortunately, it looks like Sox management has squandered the opportunity to continue that while the other team in town as struggled. Now it's looking like we're back in the same old pre-2005 conundrum: can't compete because we can't spend, can't spend because we don't have enough revenue coming in, can't get enough revenue coming in unless we win. Ugh. Maybe some day, this team will have ownership/management that will run it like a big market team.

RKMeibalane
04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Maybe some day, this team will have ownership/management that will run it like a big market team.

:reinsy

"Anyone who thinks the Sox are a big market team is crazy!"

doublem23
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Maybe some day, this team will have ownership/management that will run it like a big market team.

The Sox got themselves in this position because they acted like a big market team. Big market teams focus on the MLB roster. Big market teams don't worry about what some dude in Low-A ball hit last year because they're worried about what the guy in the Majors hit last year. For all the teams that have "done it the right way," through the draft and savvy trades; Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland, etc. none of them have made any real inroads into producing sustainable success. The Rays are one David Price arm blow out or one Evan Longoria head to the knee on a slide from finding themselves in Baseball Hell. The Royals have put all their chips in the the arms of a bunch of 20-somethings. Hell, the only team to truly ascend from small market nothing to the cream of the crop, Minnesota, is now in a serious bind because they bit off more than they could chew.

KW's focus has always been on the Sox first and foremost. Not the Knights, or the Barons, or the Intimidators, or whatever else. This is Chicago. If I wanted to worry about some scrub down in the minors I'd live in a little podunk town like Indianapolis or Des Moines or Charlotte.

Blame the guy because his plan hasn't worked out, that's fine, but saying the Sox haven't acted like a big market team is completely inaccurate, IMO.

SephClone89
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
The Sox got themselves in this position because they acted like a big market team. Big market teams focus on the MLB roster. Big market teams don't worry about what some dude in Low-A ball hit last year because they're worried about what the guy in the Majors hit last year. For all the teams that have "done it the right way," through the draft and savvy trades; Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland, etc. none of them have made any real inroads into producing sustainable success. The Rays are one David Price arm blow out or one Evan Longoria head to the knee on a slide from finding themselves in Baseball Hell. The Royals have put all their chips in the the arms of a bunch of 20-somethings. Hell, the only team to truly ascend from small market nothing to the cream of the crop, Minnesota, is now in a serious bind because they bit off more than they could chew.

KW's focus has always been on the Sox first and foremost. Not the Knights, or the Barons, or the Intimidators, or whatever else. This is Chicago. If I wanted to worry about some scrub down in the minors I'd live in a little podunk town like Indianapolis or Des Moines or Charlotte.

Blame the guy because his plan hasn't worked out, that's fine, but saying the Sox haven't acted like a big market team is completely inaccurate, IMO.

:gulp:

Thome25
04-05-2012, 03:32 PM
And so have the Sox (been to the playoffs and WS). What's your point?

All of those franchises have also had decent to prolonged down periods. Same as the Sox (save the Rays who are still holding together their talent pool they acquired from being terrible for a decade for the time being). So what is your point? You want the Sox under KW to be more like the A's and Twins? They have been.

My point is that crying about not having the $$$ is NOT an excuse because there's teams out there that have done just fine for themselves with ALOT less than almighty Kenny has at his disposal.

He's always crying about "having 50 cents" and there's teams that get by just fine who have alot less than 50 cents to spend.

So my point is that Kenny is always using his perceived budget constraints as a crutch when in reality the problem isn't lack of $$$ it's lack of good, sound baseball decisions by the GM.

Irishsox1
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
The media has really focused in on the poor quality of the Sox minor league's. But as we know a lot of teams with quality minor leagues have never won a world series in the last 30 years. This is just a story to give something for baseball writers to go on. Year after year it's written that the Yankees minor league sucks only to see them in the playoffs every year. The Yankees have crazy money but the point is fans care about the MLB product, not the overall quality of the minor system and how it ties into the future.

As for Kenny, overall the results have been pretty good. However over the last four years he tried very hard to keep the core of the 2005 team together and why not, they won the World Series. The one big misstep has been Alex Rios. His contract is nasty and his play has been even worse. There have been other stop gap deals but nothing as major as the contract Rios has. The Dunn deal is too early to call but that could be the tipping point if he doesn't have a good year.

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
The media has really focused in on the poor quality of the Sox minor league's. But as we know a lot of teams with quality minor leagues have never won a world series in the last 30 years. This is just a story to give something for baseball writers to go on. Year after year it's written that the Yankees minor league sucks only to see them in the playoffs every year. The Yankees have crazy money but the point is fans care about the MLB product, not the overall quality of the minor system and how it ties into the future.

As for Kenny, overall the results have been pretty good. However over the last four years he tried very hard to keep the core of the 2005 team together and why not, they won the World Series. The one big misstep has been Alex Rios. His contract is nasty and his play has been even worse. There have been other stop gap deals but nothing as major as the contract Rios has. The Dunn deal is too early to call but that could be the tipping point if he doesn't have a good year.

The Yankees have developed players from their minor league system; while Jeter and Rivera are at the end of their careers and Andy Pettite just came out of retirement, they also have young players such as Cano, Hughes, Nova, Robertson, and Gardner. Developing young players like that gives you the ability to be more flexible with payroll elsewhere. It has been quite awhile since the White Sox have developed one of their own position players. Having to acquire talent from outside the organization gets expensive after awhile, whether that cost is in dealing your own prospects, signing free agents, or taking on someone else's bad contract in the hopes that the player turns their career around. While the Yankees can afford to correct those mistakes in both the short and long term, the White Sox can not.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Look Reisendorf deserves some credit because he opened up the checkbook to Kenny, the thing was Kenny spent that money on the likes of Alex Rios, an injured Jake Peavy, and Edwin Jackson. Even those big market teams have looked at their minor leagues. The Red Sox have developed the likes of Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, Jon Lester and Clay Bucholtz. Even the Yankees have been able to produce guys like Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner and Ivan Nova out of their system recently (to say nothing of the core of their championship teams in the 1990s and early 2000s). So don't give me this BS that "Oh well Kenny just focuses all his talent on the major league roster," a GM is supposed to focus on the WHOLE franchise. The problem is that Kenny has totally ignored the minor leagues and seemingly never taken a long term view of the franchise.

shingo10
04-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Hell of a post. The KW hate is embarrassing. He's the GM. Everybody take a breath and deal with it.

Thome25
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Hell of a post. The KW hate is embarrassing. He's the GM. Everybody take a breath and deal with it.

The post above is what's embarrassing

You take a breath, put down the KW kool-aid, and get over your unconditional KW love.

Most GMs would've been fired for far less than the **** ups that KW has pulled the last 3 years.

It goes to show that Reinsdorf's supposed loyalty is detrimental to the teams he owns sometimes.

Dan H
04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
From the beginning of 2005 until mid-season 2006 the White Sox were an incredible 167-95 including the post season. The team played its best baseball in generations. They haven't done much since then.

I don't hate Williams, but I am disappointed that he hasn't been to sustain success with the franchise. The trend with the club is to play well for a short time and then hit the skids for several seasons. Williams wasn't able to stop that trend and now the Sox look like they will be bad for several more years. He has to take responsibility for that.

doublem23
04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Look Reisendorf deserves some credit because he opened up the checkbook to Kenny, the thing was Kenny spent that money on the likes of Alex Rios, an injured Jake Peavy, and Edwin Jackson. Even those big market teams have looked at their minor leagues. The Red Sox have developed the likes of Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, Jon Lester and Clay Bucholtz. Even the Yankees have been able to produce guys like Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner and Ivan Nova out of their system recently (to say nothing of the core of their championship teams in the 1990s and early 2000s). So don't give me this BS that "Oh well Kenny just focuses all his talent on the major league roster," a GM is supposed to focus on the WHOLE franchise. The problem is that Kenny has totally ignored the minor leagues and seemingly never taken a long term view of the franchise.

The Red Sox and Yankees are also able to cover up their own mistakes and busted prospects because they are money machines. For every Robinson Cano there's been a D'Angelo Jimenez. For every Jacoby Ellsbury, there's a Brandon Moss. If you think there's a GM out there who can turn the White Sox into a Yankee/Red Sox Empire, you're in for a long wait. Look at the teams that are just below their level; the Phillies, Giants, Angels, Brewers, etc... None of them have well regarded farm systems. Main difference between the Sox and those teams is they have hit recently on some of their big-time moves whereas the Sox have missed.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 05:54 PM
The Red Sox and Yankees are also able to cover up their own mistakes and busted prospects because they are money machines. For every Robinson Cano there's been a D'Angelo Jimenez. For every Jacoby Ellsbury, there's a Brandon Moss. If you think there's a GM out there who can turn the White Sox into a Yankee/Red Sox Empire, you're in for a long wait. Look at the teams that are just below their level; the Phillies, Giants, Angels, Brewers, etc... None of them have well regarded farm systems. Main difference between the Sox and those teams is they have hit recently on some of their big-time moves whereas the Sox have missed.

I thought up until the Grenkie trade the Brewers had a very well respected farm system.

Obviously Kenny never had the payroll of the Red Sox or the Yankees but for him to complain "Well I never had the money to invest in the draft and scouting that I wanted," that's a lie. He chose to spend that money on Rios and Peavy and that was in a year we were supposed to be rebuilding "on the fly." Kenny has focused all of his attention and limited payroll on the major league roster in a "win now" mode and that is now proving to have very dire consequences for the White Sox.

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM

All of those teams have succeeded in developing players in the last few years where the White Sox have not, whether or not their current systems are well-regarded or not.

The Brewers have Braun, Gallardo, Weeks, Hart, and Lucroy; the Giants have Lincecum, Cain, Sandoval and Posey; the Angels have Weaver, Kendrick, Santana, and Morales; the Phillies have Howard, Utley, Rollins, Victorino and Hamels.

Developing your own players gives you cheap, young talent, which is arguably the most valuable commodity in the sport. Not being able to do that makes everything else more expensive, whether in trading for established players (which requires the right prospects to do, as the Brewers did in trading for Zach Greinke, for example; unless that player has an expensive contract the team wishes to be rid of, as was the case with Jake Peavy), in signing free agents to expensive contracts (like Adam Dunn), or in taking a flyer on another team's bad contract (like Alex Rios).

The consistent failure of the White Sox to develop their own talent has made the job of building the major league squad all the more difficult. And the stubbornness of management and ownership to invest in acquiring that talent has hurt the major league team, as well.

Noneck
04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
" Kenny has focused all of his attention and limited payroll on the major league roster in a "win now" mode and that is now proving to have very dire consequences for the White Sox.

Putting money into the major league roster should put immediate money into the teams coffers. And it did, even though the players obtained did not turn out as expected. Putting money in the minor league system is a long term crap shoot and I dont think think this ownership is thinking long term. I bet ownership looks at last year as a successful season since according to forbes the team value increased 14%. I dont see any dire consequences until the value of the club drops a couple years in a row.

doublem23
04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
"Well I never had the money to invest in the draft and scouting that I wanted," that's a lie. He chose to spend that money on Rios and Peavy and that was in a year we were supposed to be rebuilding "on the fly." Kenny has focused all of his attention and limited payroll on the major league roster in a "win now" mode and that is now proving to have very dire consequences for the White Sox.

I think its pretty well known that JR does not want the Sox to be handing out bags of money to 18-20 year old kids so no I don't believe if KW wouldn't have acquired Rios and Peavy and Dunn the Sox would be spending $35 million in the Draft, nor should he considering the last 7 seasons he's been lassoed to a manager whose been relatively disinterested in helping develop young players at the Major League level.

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I think its pretty well known that JR does not want the Sox to be handing out bags of money to 18-20 year old kids so no I don't believe if KW wouldn't have acquired Rios and Peavy and Dunn the Sox would be spending $35 million in the Draft, nor should he considering the last 7 seasons he's been lassoed to a manager whose been relatively disinterested in helping develop young players at the Major League level.

I think most of the lack of spending on draft and international development is because of Reinsdorf being so close to Selig, and wanting to stick to slot and even below it; so I don't place as much blame on KW for that as much as others--meaning I don't think the blame is entirely his, as I'm skeptical that a new GM under Reinsdorf would be able to do much more, although hopefully the new CBA helps along those lines.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 08:02 PM

I can understand that JR doesn't want to hand out deals like the one Strasburg got, but I am curious (and I honestly don't know this) what about the kind of deals the likes of Pedroia and Ellsbury got? On baseball-reference it says that they were getting paid the major league minimum their first few seasons. That is another important reason to be able to identify, draft and develop young talent because then you don't have to dish out $18 million to the likes of Alex Rios. And as for the Ozzie reference, development starts in the minors where they would not be subjected to Ozzie. The problems with the Sox farm system date back before Ozzie arrived.

tsoxman
04-07-2012, 07:06 AM
I think most of the lack of spending on draft and international development is because of Reinsdorf being so close to Selig, and wanting to stick to slot and even below it; so I don't place as much blame on KW for that as much as others--meaning I don't think the blame is entirely his, as I'm skeptical that a new GM under Reinsdorf would be able to do much more, although hopefully the new CBA helps along those lines.
You maybe right. For the moment, forget about whether it's KW or JR specifically at fault. The bottom line is that for an organization that spends so very little for amateur talent, they throw money away like crazy on foolish major league acquisitions like Jake Peavy (on the DL when he was acquired), Scott Linebrink (showing signs of wear the year prior to sigining), Alex Rios (attitude and stats in decline since he signed an extension with Jays) and Manny Ramirez (enough said). They also gave away some of the better pitching prospects developed in years.

Hey White Sox...Don't be pissing on my back and telling me that it's raining.

TaylorStSox
04-07-2012, 09:17 AM
You maybe right. For the moment, forget about whether it's KW or JR specifically at fault. The bottom line is that for an organization that spends so very little for amateur talent, they throw money away like crazy on foolish major league acquisitions like Jake Peavy (on the DL when he was acquired), Scott Linebrink (showing signs of wear the year prior to sigining), Alex Rios (attitude and stats in decline since he signed an extension with Jays) and Manny Ramirez (enough said). They also gave away some of the better pitching prospects developed in years.

Hey White Sox...Don't be pissing on my back and telling me that it's raining.
Why do people have the attitude that the Sox picked these guys up just to piss off the fans? It's like KW just thought, "Screw these fans. I'm going to sign Alex Rios to aggravate them."

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Why do people have the attitude that the Sox picked these guys up just to piss off the fans? It's like KW just thought, "Screw these fans. I'm going to sign Alex Rios to aggravate them."

Obviously he didn't do that but it is indicative of an inability to identify talent correctly and then to spend a lot of money on that inferior talent.