PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Memories

Lip Man 1
04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Published on opening day 2005 (and we saw how that season turned out didn't we?) LOL:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2767

Lip

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
My 2 favorites were the 1960 and 1981 home openers.
Sat in the right field upper deck for the 81 home opener, place went nuts when Fisk hit a grand slam.

dwitt76
04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
05 opener as it was a great game and how that season ended. That 09 opener comes to mind when Thome hit a 3 run homer in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead on a crisp 39 degree day.

#1swisher
04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Great read Lip, thanks for all the time and research you put in. :tiphat:

BigHurt3515
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Published on opening day 2005 (and we saw how that season turned out didn't we?) LOL:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2767

Lip

I didn't get to see the opener of the 05 season but I was there for the 2nd game of the season. I was only 12 at the time but it was my 2nd Sox game of my life (went to the home opener of 04 season). It was by far the best game I ever witnessed at a stadium. The White Sox were down by 3 going into the 9th inning an my dad said lets go so we could beat traffic and get back home (St. Louis) but I refused and told him that they were going to come back and win. Well Konerko and Dye hit back to back home runs to end up tying the game then Juan Uribe had a walk-off sacrifice and I was going crazy. I knew there was something special with that team and well the rest is history, White Sox won the world series. Crazy to think that I saw that team in person when I was only 12 but I will never forget that game and will never forget that playoff run we had.
I know you guys probably think at 12 how big of a White Sox fan could you of been, well I was a huge fan, people at my school always gave me **** for not being a Cardinals fan but I got to laugh in their faces after that year. Awesome.

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I didn't get to see the opener of the 05 season but I was there for the 2nd game of the season. I was only 12 at the time but it was my 2nd Sox game of my life (went to the home opener of 04 season). It was by far the best game I ever witnessed at a stadium. The White Sox were down by 3 going into the 9th inning an my dad said lets go so we could beat traffic and get back home (St. Louis) but I refused and told him that they were going to come back and win. Well Konerko and Dye hit back to back home runs to end up tying the game then Juan Uribe had a walk-off sacrifice and I was going crazy. I knew there was something special with that team and well the rest is history, White Sox won the world series. Crazy to think that I saw that team in person when I was only 12 but I will never forget that game and will never forget that playoff run we had.
I know you guys probably think at 12 how big of a White Sox fan could you of been, well I was a huge fan, people at my school always gave me **** for not being a Cardinals fan but I got to laugh in their faces after that year. Awesome.

My dad taking me a game during the 1993 ALCS, when I was just 9, helped shape me into being a White Sox fan. Despite the loss, I was in love with that atmosphere, as opposed to the sad sack other team that much of my family rooted for.

I haven't been to many home openers, but 2000 stands out as being particularly good to me. Great energy in the crowd that night, something felt different from the few mediocre years it followed; as well as Ray Durham's great catch going back into RF.

Golden Sox
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
The White Sox lost over 100 games in 1970. They opened up on the road playing a doubleheader in Oakland. The White Sox won both games. They then came back to Chicago for there Good Friday Home Opener. They wound up beating the Twins in front of the biggest Opening Day crowd in there history. It was the start of a new era on the great Southside of Chicago. The Chuck Tanner era had begun successfully. Also Harry Caray came to the White Sox in 1971. Wilbur Wood won over 20 games and Bill Melton became the AL Home Run Champion also. I've enjoyed every White Sox home opener but the Home Opener of 1971 was my favorite.

roylestillman
04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Great stuff, Lip. This will be my 37th consecutive Sox home opener, starting with that the return of Veeck in 1976. Always a memorable and slightly goofy day, including in no particular order:

The Blomberg home run.
Buehrle's two hour gem in 2005.
The banner unveiling in 2006 and subsequent typhoon.
Getting Chuck Comiskey's autograph on the last old Comiskey Opener.
The freight tunnel flood opener.
The opener that had students blanketing the park with flyers looking for the "missing Wheaton Couple."
Sharpshooter on roofs keeping Dan Quayle secure.
A tire scrapyard fire to the west of old Comiskey that caused a power outage.
A three hour cold, cold rain that turned an opener against Detroit into a night game.

BRDSR
04-05-2012, 12:22 AM
I've been to five home openers, but the best was definitely the '05 opener. A classic Buerhle performance, puncuated with a late-game unearned run to win it 1-0. (I can't remember the circumstances, but I remember it was unearned.)

I was in college at the time, and drove back to Champaign as quick as I could to watch the Fighting Illini play in the National Championship on the jumbotron at Assembly Hall. They lost, but they were in it the whole way and would have won if Augustine hadn't gotten HOSED by the refs and fouled out after playing about 8 minutes. All in all, probably the second greatest sports day of my life, only to October 23, 2005, when I attended Game 2 of the World Series.

(Off topic, but I just looked back at the box score for Game 2...never realized that every Sox starter had a hit that game.)

HomeFish
04-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I've attended only one White Sox opening day in my life: 2005. Maybe I should attend more opening days.

My only recollection is that it was cold, and I bought a hot dog hoping it would warm me up, only to be disappointed that the ketchup was cold.

doublem23
04-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Maybe I'm misremembering my Opening Days, but wasn't 2005 unseasonably warm?

Anyways, the one that really sticks out for me was 2000... Well, the Home Opener. Ray's back-completely-turned-to-the-infield full diving grab into RF to end the 1st inning. Man, that was special. I'll never forget that play.

samurai_sox
04-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Speaking of the 2005 home opener,

IhipGXF-wjM

TomBradley72
04-05-2012, 04:10 AM
1978 home opener for me- Ron Bloomberg's homer to tie the game- then Chet Lemon scoring from 2nd on a bloop single by Wayne Nordhagen to beat the Red Sox.

I was a sophomore in high school- cut class to go to the game- then made the decision to blow off baseball practice to stay for the end- the miracle finish made it worth it.

Coach was NOT happy with me the next day- so I spent a day on the bench- but it was worth it. :cool:

Last home opener at Comiskey in 1990- my second favorite- because it was Old Comiskey- still my favorite ballpark of any that I've seen.

dwitt76
04-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Maybe I'm misremembering my Opening Days, but wasn't 2005 unseasonably warm?

I remember tailgating it was really warm. But when i got to my seats in the shade i was pretty cold throughout that game. Typical April/May game for Chicago baseball teams (60 degrees in the sun, high 40's with a wind chill factor in the shade).

Sox83Kid
04-05-2012, 09:33 AM
My opening day memories:

2003 - Bitter cold, wind and rain at Comiskey/U.S. Cellular which delayed the game. I was so miserable I left in the 3rd inning, but it ended with a White Sox win.

2004 - First home opener with Ozzie at the helm. Weather was a little better (no rain), and the fans were hyped and quite please with the White Sox victory.

2005 - I was walking past one of the parking lots on the north side of 35th when I saw a group of guys dressed in White Sox uniforms standing on a flatbed truck. They were holding up a trophy and chanting, "World Series champs!" People sort of chuckled a kept moving. I then witnessed Mark Buerhle's dispatch of the Indians in roughly 90 minutes and the Sox won 1-0.

Carneyman14
04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
In 2005. Nobody picked the white sox to do much of anything. Same goes for 2012. Lets shock the world again. GO GO WHITE SOX! :chicago

sox1970
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
1990- Got there a little late and walked in to the players lined up and the red, white, and blue balloons released. You still see clips of that and remember that. Don't remember much about the game, but that was my favorite Sox team and year.

2005- Great day, fun game. Missed the only run scored because of the bathroom lines. But remember Takatsu getting over to first to record the last out. A good game in the championship season.

And the year Crede hit the grand slam against the Twins.

johnnyg83
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
1991 - Ugh
2004: Mendy Lopez in KC. We saw Damaso Marte out that night and we kept telling him it wasn't his fault, but we all knew it was.

FielderJones
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I've enjoyed every White Sox home opener but the Home Opener of 1971 was my favorite.

This was my first attended Sox game, and it was a great one! Kudos for mentioning it in the thread. :tiphat:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1971/B04090CHA1971.htm

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I have been to three opening days: 2007, 2009, 2011. I will stay away from opening day from here on.

October26
04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
My 2 favorites were the 1960 and 1981 home openers.
Sat in the right field upper deck for the 81 home opener, place went nuts when Fisk hit a grand slam.

1981 is my favorite as well (to date). I adored Carlton Fisk (second player I had a teenaged crush on after Bucky Dent left in the late 70's). When Fisk signed with the White Sox, I was in 7th heaven. I ran home from school that day just in time to see the grand slam. :D:

Zisk77
04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I've only been to one opening day...2006. Most amazing thing ever!...Could pass on the monsoon though.

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Opening Night 2006 was pretty epic. It started off really warm and sunny, but then it felt like an early spring night with lots of rain (there was a rain delay for a few hours).

The banner ceremony was quite emotional. The rain delay caused a lot of the sellout crowd to leave the ballpark much earlier, so I went from my seat in 149 to just a couple rows behind the Sox dugout for the rest of the game following the delay. It still rained during the game after the delay, and Jim Thome actually launched his first home run as a Sox player through the rain!

I left the ballpark after 1 and had to work the next day...Fortunately, I live so close to the ballpark, so I was home 10 minutes later.

Brewski
04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I've attended only one White Sox opening day in my life: 2005. Maybe I should attend more opening days.

My only recollection is that it was cold, and I bought a hot dog hoping it would warm me up, only to be disappointed that the ketchup was cold.

There's your problem right there.:D:

SephClone89
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
There's your problem right there.:D:

Boom.

ChiSoxFann
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
2004: Mendy Lopez in KC. We saw Damaso Marte out that night and we kept telling him it wasn't his fault, but we all knew it was.

I completely forgot about Mendy Lopez! I just remember being in shock the rest of that day after the Sox lost that game.

I've been to home openers in 2000, 01, 02, 03 and 2005 and I have tickets for this year against the Tigers. Durham's catch in 2000 and Buehrle's great game in '05 were great to be a part of. Plus the weather at those games was outstanding. Hoping for more of the same this year.

Irishsox1
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
1981 Came home from school to see Fisk homer in first game against Red Sox. From that point on Fisk seemed to always hit late inning homers against the Red Sox at Fenway.

1991 First game at new Comiskey and Sox get blown out. I also wasn't that impressed with the stadium. It was new and didn't smell like urine and pot but it was bland looking. A year later when Camden Yards opened up I knew we got short changed.

2000 Perfect weather against Angels, Durham makes an awesome catch. Great start to a 95 win season.

2001 Cold gray game against Detroit. Ron Schuler raises the Division flag and Tony Clark homers as Sox lose.

fisk4ever
04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
1901 - The ceremonial first ball was supposed to be thrown out by Robert Burke, special counsel to the mayor. He declined however, stating that he was afraid the ball might get hit back to him (sigh...).

As always, good reading.

beasly213
04-05-2012, 07:43 PM
2006 was pretty special. The atmosphere in the crowd pre game was just so crazy. It was like this ok...wow no one can ever take away that banner.

2008 was probably the most fun. Crede hitting the Slam was great.

Warriorjan
04-06-2012, 03:55 PM
1981 - the last one I ever attended with my father. Fisk!
2005 - just seeing the banners being unfolded and the whole atmosphere