PDA

View Full Version : Opening Night (US Edition)

Marqhead
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
For all it's quirks and colors, the Marlin's ballpark looks damn impressive.

VenturaFan23
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
That thing that goes off after a HR looks even worse on tv. What a monstrosity.

chisox12
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Kills me to see Buehrle in a Marlins uniform.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Those Kelly Green walls are interesting.

Marqhead
04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I love Ali as much as the next guy, but why do they keep dragging him out for things like this?

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I love Ali as much as the next guy, but why do they keep dragging him out for things like this?

The man looks so haggard. I wonder if he even knows where he is.

soxnut1018
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM

That felt more depressing than celebratory.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
It looks like the aquauriums are visible from the field.

Corlose 15
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I figured the more I saw those Marlins uniforms the less ugly they'd seem. Alas, I still hate them.

Corlose 15
04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Those Kelly Green walls are interesting.

Tough to look at.

doublem23
04-04-2012, 07:30 PM
For all it's quirks and colors, the Marlin's ballpark looks damn impressive.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not sure how well this park is going to age

soxnut1018
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I figured the more I saw those Marlins uniforms the less ugly they'd seem. Alas, I still hate them.

I actually don't mind the home white ones. The orange jerseys and hats are atrocious, however.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Has Guillen been fired, yet?

Marqhead
04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Terry Francona does not have a voice for broadcasting. He's going to annoy me all year I can already tell.

Southsider101
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
After watching the Marlins-Yankees series on MLB Network I really like the look of Marlin's Park. The world doesn't need another red brick, retro ballpark. However, that monstrosity in center field has got to go.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I almost puked up my Chicken Kiev after that commercial!

russ99
04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
That thing that goes off after a HR looks even worse on tv. What a monstrosity.

Just wait until it actually is turned on... :D:

I don't mind it, every park should have it's own character. Marlins park might have a bit too much character.

Man, that Ali appearance was really sad. Can't believe he's the same guy I watched take Frasier apart in '75.

Marqhead
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I'll take the Marlin's homerun machine over the Astro's flagpole any day of the week.

Brian26
04-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Ozzie still looking up in the stands.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Ozzie still looking up in the stands.

At least he's not looking up his ass, as he did during his final three seasons in Chicago.

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Why does it sound like to me that Francona is talking through a megaphone or something like that? His voice sounds muffled.

Marqhead
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Why does it sound like to me that Francona is talking through a megaphone or something like that? His voice sounds muffled.

He sounds like Fozzy Bear. Wocka wocka!

Brian26
04-04-2012, 08:34 PM

I noticed the same thing. It sounds like he's doing commentary over the phone from his hotel room.

VenturaFan23
04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
He sounds like Fozzy Bear. Wocka wocka!

I noticed the same thing. It sounds like he's doing commentary over the phone from his hotel room.

Seriously. He sounds horrible. I miss John Miller doing espn games.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Anyone just catch the shot of the Cardinals player in the tunnel just now?

thomas35forever
04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Watched up until about 7 when my mom got the TV for Survivor. Like the ballpark, which will probably a psychedelic person's dream. As for the baseball itself, I saw Ozzie already getting frustrated when the score became 3-0. It'll be very interesting to see how long he lasts there.

Brian26
04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Through the magic of dvr, unfortantely, yes. Happens around 7:43.

ChiSoxGal85
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Ouch, Buehrle in a Marlins uniform hurts...and ouch, those outfield walls hurt my eyes too. However, being no-hit through six innings of opening day in your new ballpark must really hurt. :cool:

I missed it...what did you see?

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Ouch, Buehrle in a Marlins uniform hurts...and ouch, those outfield walls hurt my eyes too. However, being no-hit through six innings of opening day in your new ballpark must really hurt. :cool:

I missed it...what did you see?

Let's just say this player was pulling a Steve Lyons. I did not catch to see who the player was, and the TV I am watching the game on does not have DVR.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
And you can cancel the postgame show.

ChiSoxGal85
04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Let's just say this player was pulling a Steve Lyons. I did not catch to see who the player was, and the TV I am watching the game on does not have DVR.
:rolling: I'm sorry I missed it (no DVR here either).

#1swisher
04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Is that steam coming from Ozzies' ears? :redneck

Jerko
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Is that steam coming from Ozzies' ears? :redneck

Yeah, no bunt opportunities and he didn't have to make another lrlrlr move cuz the pitcher was up.
:cool:

DumpJerry
04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
However, being no-hit through six innings of opening day in your new ballpark must really hurt. :cool:

And you can cancel the postgame show.
So, I guess it wasn't Walker after all. (1/2 teal)

Jerko
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
The guy that pinch hit for the pinch hitter struck out. Classic

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
:rooney
And that's a Redbird winner!

VenturaFan23
04-04-2012, 10:02 PM
The first of hopefully many losses for Miami this season.

WLL1855
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Personally, I'm relieved Austin Kearns still has a job.

Edit: Dammit, forgot the teal.

Red Barchetta
04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
The overall design of the new ballpark is nice, however for the life of me I can't figure out what the Marlins colors are. :scratch: Orange walls in the dugout, blue seats, kelly (lime) green walls/padding, yellow (?) railings.

It's like Mike Brady was the ball park's architect.

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 10:31 PM
The overall design of the new ballpark is nice, however for the life of me I can't figure out what the Marlins colors are. :scratch: Orange walls in the dugout, blue seats, kelly (lime) green walls/padding, yellow (?) railings.

Orange, blue, black, and yellow.

I prefer the old color scheme. They were the only sarcastic team!

doublem23
04-04-2012, 11:16 PM

I really liked the old Marlins uniforms. Classic look with a touch of originality (teal). The new home whites aren't awful, but overall, I think they took a real step down with these designs.

vinny
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm thinking I need to setup a site called "Did Ozzie's Team Win?"

doublem23
04-04-2012, 11:34 PM

The answer to the million dollar question is Rafael Furcal.

http://deadspin.com/5899290/espn-cameras-caught-rafael-furcal-with-his-pants-down?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

VenturaFan23
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM

LOL. I saw a good tweet last night saying that if Lady Gaga were a baseball stadium she'd be the new Marlins Park.

Jerko
04-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I've come to the realization that I liked the Florida Marlins, but I don't like the Miami Marlins.

chisox12
04-05-2012, 12:58 PM

So much bitterness towards Ozzie around here.

palehozenychicty
04-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Seriously. His sons were too much, but KW never won anything without Ozzie.

Once time passes, Ozzie will be back in the fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

doublem23
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM

I can't see how there isn't anyone bitter about Ozzie. He openly whined about his contract while the Sox's season flickering hopes were dying (while, I might add, still under a deal to manage a baseball team for the unremarkable amount of a few million dollars for the year... Poor is Ozzie :whiner::whiner::whiner:). And, this is just my opinion, but I think it's pretty clear that Loria planted the seed in Ozzie's head to come down to Miami and manage the Marlins somewhere midseason and Ozzie just flat out quit on the Sox from that point on. I can't prove that, it's just my feeling with the way things went down.

A lot of the reaction you read yesterday and today is because Ozzie and the Marlins were at the center of the baseball universe yesterday. Starting today, and especially tomorrow, the White Sox take over as the most important baseball story to me and I'm sure the vast majority of this board. I'm not going to be sitting on the edge of my seat for every Marlins game, cheering raucously when they lose and throwing a tantrum when they win. I don't really give much a **** about Ozzie; I'm grateful for what he did in 2005, upset over the last few years, but ultimately time will heal those wounds. I'm glad he's gone for 2012, and if the Marlins do end up losing 85-90 games, well, it will bring a small smile to my face.

Rocky Soprano
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I can't see how there isn't anyone bitter about Ozzie. He openly whined about his contract while the Sox's season flickering hopes were dying (while, I might add, still under a deal to manage a baseball team for the unremarkable amount of a few million dollars for the year... Poor is Ozzie :whiner::whiner::whiner:). And, this is just my opinion, but I think it's pretty clear that Loria planted the seed in Ozzie's head to come down to Miami and manage the Marlins somewhere midseason and Ozzie just flat out quit on the Sox from that point on. I can't prove that, it's just my feeling with the way things went down.

A lot of the reaction you read yesterday and today is because Ozzie and the Marlins were at the center of the baseball universe yesterday. Starting today, and especially tomorrow, the White Sox take over as the most important baseball story to me and I'm sure the vast majority of this board. I'm not going to be sitting on the edge of my seat for every Marlins game, cheering raucously when they lose and throwing a tantrum when they win. I don't really give much a **** about Ozzie; I'm grateful for what he did in 2005, upset over the last few years, but ultimately time will heal those wounds. I'm glad he's gone for 2012, and if the Marlins do end up losing 85-90 games, well, it will bring a small smile to my face.

Very well said. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2012, 02:31 PM

I like Ozzie and I think he's a good manager but I agree with this. At some point in May he completely quit on his team and desperately wanted out. Having said that were I in his shoes I probably would have been thinking "Oh ****, I have to manage THIS team for another year?!" it should have been handled in a far more professional manner by all sides though.

Hitmen77
04-05-2012, 03:09 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

PatK
04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
That felt more depressing than celebratory.

I agree.

To me it seemed that the crowd was initially pumped when he came out, but as he made his way across the field it became more and more uncomfortably quiet.

Noir
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Orange, blue, black, and yellow.

Add silver to that. it's more prominent than you think

chisox12
04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

I understand why people are bitter towards Ozzie for the disaster that was last season. I just feel that too much of the blame is put on Ozzie. It was a complete ****ing mess for everyone involved. Ozzie, KW, The Chairman, Coop......the whole situation was ****ed. I don't buy that Ozzie quit on the team last year, but that's just my opinion. It was obvious that someone had to go....although I think they should have cleaned house and cut ties with Kenny too. One thing I am looking forward to is not constantly reading stories about our GM and manager hating each other. Like you said, time heals all wounds and hope Ozzie can be part of this organization again at some point down the road.

Red Barchetta
04-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I've come to the realization that I liked the Florida Marlins, but I don't like the Miami Marlins.

I liked their old logo with the Marlin wrapped around the "F". Obviously, they can't use that logo since they are now the Miami Marlins, however it would have been nice if they had a similar looking Marlin vs. the airline logo marlin they have now.

SCCWS
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM

What does that say about Mark Buehrle??? If Ozzie quit on the team as it appeared, the players must have seen it. Yet Mark Buehrle followed this same manager to Florida. He had a bad September. Did he quit too knowing he was leaving as well? Why would he follow Ozzie who quit on his team to another team?

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
What does that say about Mark Buehrle??? If Ozzie quit on the team as it appeared, the players must have seen it. Yet Mark Buehrle followed this same manager to Florida. He had a bad September. Did he quit too knowing he was leaving as well? Why would he follow Ozzie who quit on his team to another team?

Nothing. He took the best deal offered to him.

doublem23
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM

I can think of 56 million reasons.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2012, 10:13 AM

I am not one to root for the Marlins to go 0-162 because Ozzie Guillen is there. In fact, I hope the Marlins do well. They are not my favorite National League team (Cardinals), but I do have an association with them that predates Ozzie. My family had a home in Fort Lauderdale, and I have relatives in South Florida. Through that association with South Florida, I've had a relationship with the Marlins since their 1993 inception. I am not going to act like some jilted 14-year-old teenager and curse the Marlins.

In 2011, I felt it was Ozzie's time to go. I am eternally grateful to Ozzie for his role in bringing me the greatest sports moment of my life. However, his and his sons' antics amid the backdrop of losing baseball on the field made him real stale. He became one bad parent in the two bad parent marriage.

Of course, the other bad parent is Kenny Williams. He also should have been dismissed after 2011. In fact, I blame him far more than Ozzie for the current state of our franchise. We have the lowest-rated minor league system, and we have little goodwill in baseball important Latin America because of the Dave Wilder scandal. These two reasons alone should have been sufficient to get rid of Williams.