PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 2004 draft

mzh
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Having just read a piece about Matt Bush, the uber-flameout taken number 1 overall by the Padres in 2004, a question came to mind: why did the Padres have that pick instead of the Tigers? That 2003 Tigers team was by far the worst team in baseball (hell, one of the worst teams in baseball history), and yet they picked second (which they used on Verlander). What was the deal?

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
They used to alternate leagues for the first two picks, based upon the worst teams in each league. 2004 was the final season for that.

DumpJerry
04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
So, Matt Bush is MLB's version of Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie.....

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
So, Matt Bush is MLB's version of Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie.....

I think the Hakeem pick worked out well for the Rockets.

Plus, baseball is much harder to guess in the draft than any other sport. More of a crapshoot.

That said, I do remember the Matt Bush pick being criticized at the time.

DumpJerry
04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Plus, baseball is much harder to guess in the draft than any other sport. More of a crapshoot.
Only if your name is not Theo Epstein.

doublem23
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
That said, I do remember the Matt Bush pick being criticized at the time.

Yeah, that pick was widely criticized. The only #1 I can think of that was as widely panned was the Pirates taking Bryan Bullington #1 overall in 2002, but at least he made it to the Majors. Bush looks like he's going to join Brien Taylor and Steven Chilcott in some pretty rare air.

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah, that pick was widely criticized. The only #1 I can think of that was as widely panned was the Pirates taking Bryan Bullington #1 overall in 2002, but at least he made it to the Majors. Bush looks like he's going to join Brien Taylor and Steven Chilcott in some pretty rare air.

Taylor sounds like a real winner, never knew his story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brien_Taylor

Reminds me of a line from Bull Durham, "...when you get into a fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand."