PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Harrell

Brian26
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Lucas is the Astros #2 starting pitcher.

I knew the Astros were bad, but I didn't know they were THAT bad. Wow.

mzh
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
In reality he's more like their 4 or 5. In order of priority in their rotation, he probably sits behind Rodriguez, Norris, and Happ, and if Jordan Lyles gets called up, probably him too.

doublem23
04-04-2012, 06:04 AM

Yeah, I couldn't believe that when Stone said it last night. I actually thought Harrell had a nice little arm coming out of the bullpen. I still remember him blowing a fastball past Jeter 2 years ago in a relief appearance. No way can I see him getting through a lineup two times 30 times in a season. Wow, it is going to be a bleak year in Houston.

russ99
04-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Like others have said, Harrell had a very good spring and is the Astros 4th or 5th starter. He was competing for 5th with Kyle Weiland late last week until expected #4 starter Jordan Lyles had a few bad outings and the Astros decided he needed more time in AAA.

Also, these moves were done on purpose. The Astros waived Livan Hernandez and Zach Duke (who would have gotten them a few more wins) to give the younger starters more major league playing time. It's not about being bad, it's about developing their players.

Foulke You
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
It's not about being bad, it's about developing their players.
Yes, but while they are developing these players they are going to be a bad baseball team. They will likely lose 100 games or more this year.

soxinem1
04-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Harrell has better stuff, as marginal as it is, than Livan Hernandez, and Hernandez can probably still get through a lineup three times.

Hernandez hasn't had a fastball since he left SF, and he's with ATL now. And the Braves have some of the best arms around.

I think it is a cool story not because he is a former White Sox minor-leaguer, but he has a chance to establish himself in MLB and prove his detractors wrong.

At the very least, he can say he was given a chance....

doublem23
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
There's more to pitching than just stuff or else Mark Buehrle would have been run out of the league in 2001 and Edwin Jackson would have just won his 3rd or 4th Cy Young.

DSpivack
04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
There's more to pitching than just stuff or else Mark Buehrle would have been run out of the league in 2001 and Edwin Jackson would have just won his 3rd or 4th Cy Young.

If EJ would've had 3 or 4 Cy Youngs, I wonder what Javier Vazquez would have had. :o:

TheVulture
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
How many members of MLB starting rotations that came from the Sox' barren minor league system does that make now?

DSpivack
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
How many members of MLB starting rotations that came from the Sox' barren minor league system does that make now?

I think that says more about the Astros' lack of talent than anything else.

TheVulture
04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I think that says more about the Astros' lack of talent than anything else.

None the less, the number of starting pitchers in MLB rotations that came through the Sox system I am sure is greater than average. Sale, Buerhle, Richards, Hudson, Gonzalez, Harrell, McCarthy. Am I missing any? Maybe my math's off, but by my calculations the average system would have five starters in the majors at any one time.

Taliesinrk
04-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Someone forgot to tell the Rockies tonight.