PDA

View Full Version : Must Do First

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 01:27 PM
What do the White Sox need to do first to turn this franchise around.

Should they address the pitching staff first, or
should they address the defense first, or
should they address the offense first, or
should they address the manager first, or
should they address the general manager first, or
should they address the coaching staff, or
should the owner sell the team and take the chance the White Sox might leave Chicago?

I doubt that we would leave but you never know with Reinsdorf and Selig!

hold2dibber
07-22-2002, 01:45 PM
I think the fastest way to turn around the franchise is to fire KW, JR and all of the coaches, hire a GM with a track record of success (i.e., Billy Beane), commit to an annual payroll of about $70 mm and hire a manager that the players will respect and follow (i.e., Buck Showalter and Jim Leyland come to mind).

Also, get PK and Buehrle signed to long term deals asap.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think the fastest way to turn around the franchise is to fire KW, JR and all of the coaches, hire a GM with a track record of success (i.e., Billy Beane), commit to an annual payroll of about $70 mm and hire a manager that the players will respect and follow (i.e., Buck Showalter and Jim Leyland come to mind).

I agree and will add to that: get whoever it takes to get Frank Thomas back in here ASAP....... if it is Walt Hriniak or somebody else....... the White Sox should do no less for their fans than give him every opportunity to come back from that tricep injury...don't you agree?

Paulwny
07-22-2002, 01:57 PM

Buehrle signed to long term deals asap.

This is a big problem, JR and his attitude towards long term contracts to pitchers. We'll never keep what "good" we have or sign any good fa pitchers unless JR changes his stance.

Jerry_Manuel
07-22-2002, 02:21 PM

Would the ballpark fill up if Reinsy was gone? I think it would, but we won't know for quite awhile.

Showalter? I think Konerko would knock him on his ass. I've heard that Buck has some weird rules, I don't think he's the right guy.

hold2dibber
07-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Would the ballpark fill up if Reinsy was gone? I think it would, but we won't know for quite awhile.

Showalter? I think Konerko would knock him on his ass. I've heard that Buck has some weird rules, I don't think he's the right guy.

I would love to see JR gone - but not at the risk that the Sox would leave town.

However, if they could bring in an owner with a win-first attitude, there is no doubt in my mind that this team could energize the south side again. The franchise truly is, in my mind, a sleeping giant, with the potential to become a model franchise. There are plenty of hearts and minds on the south side and elsewhere just waiting to re-commit to the Sox. But we need an owner with brains, $ and balls to do it. And I know better than to hope that will ever happen.

Dadawg_77
07-22-2002, 02:44 PM
JR just has to much bad emotional baggage with him. Sox fans see him and think hate. Think of the things people dislike about him, the strike, treatment of past stars, pay tv, Harry going to the North Side, White Flag Trade, just to name a few. If JR sells the team, attendance may or may not rise immediately, but the Sox become a much easier sell with out him.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
JR just has to much bad emotional baggage with him. Sox fans see him and think hate. Think of the things people dislike about him, the strike, treatment of past stars, pay tv, Harry going to the North Side, White Flag Trade, just to name a few. If JR sells the team, attendance may or may not rise immediately, but the Sox become a much easier sell with out him.

Excellent points and I agree with you Dadawg!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo
What do the White Sox need to do first to turn this franchise around.

Should they address the pitching staff first, or
should they address the defense first, or
should they address the offense first, or
should they address the manager first, or
should they address the general manager first, or
should they address the coaching staff, or
should the owner sell the team and take the chance the White Sox might leave Chicago?

I doubt that we would leave but you never know with Reinsdorf and Selig!

If it has to do with management then we need to address it.

Keystone Combo
07-23-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

If it has to do with management then we need to address it.

Start at the top and work your way down cleaning house!!1

Than maybe people like Carlton Fisk would come back to the southside and be a part of the White Sox where he should be.

Remember when he first came here when they used to talk of him being in the radio booth or even in some capacity in management after his playing days were over? Way to blow that one Jerry Reinsdorf....... bring a stud to Chicago and than make him return to Boston after you're finished with him.

guillen4life13
07-23-2002, 11:56 AM
hmm. do you think pudge would be a good manager? just a suggestion.

Keystone Combo
07-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
hmm. do you think pudge would be a good manager? just a suggestion.

Yes I do think Pudge would be a good manager. With his experience behind the plate handling pitchers and his drive to motivate himself into being the best he could I have to believe he would motivate as well.

However Jerry is still the problem until he sells the team.