PDA

View Full Version : Billy The Kid is 85

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Happy Birthday to my 2nd favorite Sox player of all time and a great guy.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Pdu-E3aT0RS_GaVAl7PMh316R9Ei7rVyFvCafthVDzPgy5g

Noneck
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Nice guy and wish he would see the hall.

SI1020
04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
My absolute all time favorite White Sox player. I met him in 1999. He's very intelligent and witty with a sense of humor kind of on the dry side. I'm happy for him that he got the opportunity in 1962 to show what he could have done for the Sox in 1959. He told me he was grateful for that opportunity also. There's still a few of us old goats who remember him well, and know that he is one of those people who will never get the credit he truly deserves. He made a big difference for the White Sox way back in the day when they were winners every year.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Spoke with him on Friday. He sounds great and is doing well.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Will never forget 2 of his greatest games that I listened to on my transistor radio, the almost perfect game in 1958 that Ed Fitzgerald of the old Senators broke up with a bloop double down the right field line. A year later in August of 1959 against the Orioles he went 16 innings in a 1-1 tie game that was called after 18 innings because of a curfew law in Baltimore.

Paulwny
04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Happy Birthday Bill.
Man, all of a sudden I feel older.

October26
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Happy Birthday to my 2nd favorite Sox player of all time and great guy.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Pdu-E3aT0RS_GaVAl7PMh316R9Ei7rVyFvCafthVDzPgy5g

I was not fortunate enough to be alive to see Billy Pierce play for the White Sox. Of course, my dad remembered when Billy played on the Sox. A few years back, we did have the good fortune of meeting and speaking with Billy. What a gentleman! The thing about Billy is that he is so approachable, so laid back, and so humble. As I mentioned in my first blog entry, my autographed photo of Billy Pierce is one of my prized Sox possessions.

:happybday, Billy! :bandance:

chisox59
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
It makes me feel old too! His roomie (Nellie) was always my favorite but Billy was right there followed by Minnie, Luis, Sherm, Jim Landis and Jungle Jim Rivera. I just realized that the 8mm film I took of the old timers game in 1971 is now over 40 years old. God I'm old! At least I captured those guys in action having some fun even though they were past their prime. Lots of smiles from them and I recall tremendous ovations from the crowd when they were introduced. Billy was one of those special guys from a special era and he's a hall of famer to all of us even though the national media ignored him. What's more important is he's a hall of famer as a person. Happy birthday Billy!

soxinem1
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Billy threw a ceremonial first pitch back in 2009 when our town hosted the IL State LL All-Star Tournament.

One of the great stories he told was how Ron Kittle was really signed by the White Sox. Billy's story was quite different than Kittle's. :smile:

After telling the 'real' story, Billy said Kittle's account was 'A Bunch Of Hooey!!'

Procol Harum
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Happy Birthday, Billy!

TommyJohn
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Here is a great piece of trivia about Billy Pierce-he is the only player to be at both the 1945 and 1959 World Series. He was an 18 year old Tiger rookie in 1945 and eligible to play in that year's Series against the Cubs, but didn't. Then of course he was with the 1959 White Sox.

Risk
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
My dad's favorite player.

Risk

Lip Man 1
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
TJ:

In the basement of Billy's home are things he has gathered over his time playing and one of the items he still has is his 1945 Tigers warm up jacket. He also has his 1959 Sox game used World Series uniform and his 1962 game used Giants World Series uniform.

When I saw them and felt them to see what the materials were like back then, I nearly lost it.

Not to be sacrilegious but to me it was like touching the Shroud of Turin.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Happy Birthday Billy. He too was my Father's favorite pitcher. My Dad went to his grave still upset that Al Lopez didn't give Billy a start in the '59 World Series. He told me how Billy was the ace of the staff for the entire decade of the 50's and Lopez snubbed him in '59 because he had a subpar year by Billy's standards....but my father was absolutely sure that Billy was a big game pitcher and probably could've rescued the series for the Sox by using him in Game 6.

My Dad also used to point to the '62 series as proof that Billy would've come up big.

I met Billy in 2006 at Sandburg High School's baseball field along with his wonderful wife and got to speak with them for about 15 minutes. It was a great thrill to meet him. What a gentleman he is. Just an absolutely wonderful guy.

I too never got to see Billy pitch for the Sox but I always felt like watching Mark Buehrle was what it must've been like to see Billy perform. It's like they were cut from the same cloth.

Happy Birthday Billy! :happybday

SI1020
04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Happy Birthday Billy. He too was my Father's favorite pitcher. My Dad went to his grave still upset that Al Lopez didn't give Billy a start in the '59 World Series. He told me how Billy was the ace of the staff for the entire decade of the 50's and Lopez snubbed him in '59 because he had a subpar year by Billy's standards....but my father was absolutely sure that Billy was a big game pitcher and probably could've rescued the series for the Sox by using him in Game 6.

My Dad also used to point to the '62 series as proof that Billy would've come up big.

I met Billy in 2006 at Sandburg High School's baseball field along with his wonderful wife and got to speak with them for about 15 minutes. It was a great thrill to meet him. What a gentleman he is. Just an absolutely wonderful guy.

I too never got to see Billy pitch for the Sox but I always felt like watching Mark Buehrle was what it must've been like to see Billy perform. It's like they were cut from the same cloth.

Happy Birthday Billy! :happybday I remember being shocked that Billy didn't get a start in the 6th game. I was in the 4th grade. The Sox went down meekly and for years the name Larry Sherry made my skin crawl. It's true that Billy never quite locked in that year. He finally seemed to get on a roll in August, but shortly after going 16 innings in Baltimore he went down with a hip injury. He came back pretty strong in September, but faltered in his last two starts which were against Detroit. Supposedly Lopez thought a left hander was vulnerable in the old LA Coliseum, with its hideously short left field, (they put up a giant screen to mitigate the very short distance) so Billy was left out. However Early Wynn, who won game 1 was ineffective in game 4, and apparently his shoulder was hurting. Lopez sent him out there with 2 days rest for game 6, and that was all she wrote. The game was over very early. Billy was primed and ready for game 6, so I have to wonder if something personal wasn't a factor. Years later Al Smith made a cryptic comment about the situation, saying he knew why Billy was put on the shelf but wouldn't say. Anyway, Billy fortified his big game reputation in 1962 and we will only left with wondering what if.

https://www.google.com/search?q=LA+coliseum+baseball&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BdS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PpV9T8CeFYGG8QTb7MSCDQ&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=594