PDA

View Full Version : Tom Paciorek and Jimmy Piersall

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 12:48 PM
How would you like to have Tom Paciorek (Wimpy) return to the tv side replacing Darrin (Yawn) Jackson?

How would you like to liven up the radio side with bringing back the ever outspoken Jimmy (let it all hang out) Piersall replace Ed (Boring) Farmer?

Do you have some better suggestions or are you happy with the guys we have?

duke of dorwood
07-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Reverse those roles and it could work.

dougs78
07-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Am I the only one who really likes Farmer? I think he is hilarious? Granted I'm a fan of the dry humor, but some of that stuff he comes up with is really funny. To me he captures the essence of baseball on the radio by filling the dead time with useless trivia and random statements. I'm serious when I say I love listening to him.

KVinc
07-22-2002, 03:23 PM
why bring whimpy back, he was hawk's ultimate sidekick. Wimpy just made funny comments throughout the broadcast nothing else. Btw The radio team on the sox suck, when u call Keith Foulke's change up a palm ball and howry's cutter a spilt finger, u need to go

TornLabrum
07-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by KVinc
why bring whimpy back, he was hawk's ultimate sidekick. Wimpy just made funny comments throughout the broadcast nothing else. Btw The radio team on the sox suck, when u call Keith Foulke's change up a palm ball and howry's cutter a spilt finger, u need to go

Foulke throws a circle change which is a form of palm ball.

Jerry_Manuel
07-22-2002, 04:29 PM
I've got a little of the tinkerer in me.

I'd like to see DJ with Rooney, and Farmio with Hawk for one game.

Hawk and Farmer can swap golf notes. DJ can talk about his games in Japan, or something.

oldcomiskey
07-22-2002, 04:46 PM
I enjoyed wimpys stories---------and he would attack hawk on certain topics

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 07:47 PM
How would Hawk and Jimmy do as a team on tv?

Brian26
07-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Jimmy has been known to work behind the counter at a deli in Wheaton, which I think he has an ownership stake in. I've had the pleasure of talking to him on a few occassions when I went in to get lunch over the past year. Jimmy still loves baseball, you can tell, but I really think he's getting up there in years where he might not be an effective announcer anymore. I really mean this with no disrespect. I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile experiment, but it's definitely fun to think about.

Rooney and Farmer rule. Some of Farmer's jokes are so bad that they're good. How can you not like it when Farmer talks about going to mass between the day-night-doubleheader games last Saturday in Detroit. Or when Rooney and Farmer talk about taking some of the players on field trips in NY or DC when they're on road trips out east. You can tell there's a real friendship between Rooney and Farmer, and you can hear how big of fans they are too. They love the Sox, and they're both knowledgable. They're homers, yes, but not ignorant, rambling homers like Santo or Harry. They're not bland like like Hughes either. They're the best.

JoseCanseco6969
07-23-2002, 12:59 AM
I dont DJ is as bad as everyone says, i think hes good when he actually speaks his mind and stands up to hawk. And we dont need the crying rape victim back on with hawk, he's horrible!
especially when he makes statements like this, damn spare us the details!

"When I got home at night after being dropped off, I can remember specifically that he had just inserted his finger in my rectum. I remember getting out of the car and having him drive away and thinking, 'How sick is this?' " "Tom Paciorek

Im sorry but ill stay with DJ!

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Jimmy has been known to work behind the counter at a deli in Wheaton, which I think he has an ownership stake in. His wife owns it.

FanOf14
07-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Why is it the victim of sexual abuse is made to be the criminal? I now understand why someone close to me chose not to tell anyone what happened to that person when they were a kid. Try looking into the eyes of someone you know that's been sexually abused and think that way.

alohafri
07-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Am I the only one who really likes Farmer? I think he is hilarious? Granted I'm a fan of the dry humor, but some of that stuff he comes up with is really funny. To me he captures the essence of baseball on the radio by filling the dead time with useless trivia and random statements. I'm serious when I say I love listening to him.

I think Farmio is great too! He and Rooney make a great radio team, much better than Pat Hughes and Rain Man over on GN.

"That was a hard hit double Ron."

"Yeah, hard hit." (I heard this the other day!)

I would love to have Wimpy back on the TV side, but I understand that there is some bad blood between he and Hawk, who didn't appreciate his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants style of broadcasting.

Cheryl
07-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Why is it the victim of sexual abuse is made to be the criminal? I now understand why someone close to me chose not to tell anyone what happened to that person when they were a kid. Try looking into the eyes of someone you know that's been sexually abused and think that way.

You beat me to it. I've never put anyone on my ignore list quite as quickly as I did the jamoke who posted what you're rebutting.

Sad
07-23-2002, 02:02 PM
I thought I used to like Farmer alot, but now... I'm not so sure
I don't really dislike him but he can be a real dolt at times...

Jimmy is a hoot as baseball analyst on the SCORE's various shows... I second that thought on effectivity as a regular announcer though.

Hawk can be funny sometimes and other times really comes off as a know-it-all... like when he talks about how to hit the ball like he had some great lifetime average <ahem.>

cracked me up during Saturday night's extra inning loss when he was saying something like:

Well DJ if we can win this one
whack! (the ball coming off Fordyce's bat)
Well... we ain't gonna win this one either...

pudge
07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
I got to hear Wimpy on Detroit's broadcasts on DirecTV, and he is really good, he has a way of telling stories that most broadcasters can't do anymore. Hawk and Wimpy were a rockin' combo.

JoseCanseco6969
07-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Wow, im really hurt ive been put on ignore, its so very sad. Listen, Wimpy now looks like an idiot because of his coming out, hed be made fun of if he was back with the sox because baseball wants tough guys as role models. There is no place for a former child abuser or a homosexual, for example Piazza's denying his being one. Whether or not he is or not, he wouldnt admit it because it would really hurt his career since thats how society is. The mets would be known as the team with the gay player and I'm sorry but i wouldnt want to be known as the team with the announcer who got a finger shoved up his rectum. Hopefully someone can agree with wimpy staying where he is.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Sad
Hawk can be funny sometimes and other times really comes off as a know-it-all... like when he talks about how to hit the ball like he had some great lifetime average <ahem.> Hawk understands his own limitations. I recently heard him say "I wasn't a good hitter, but I was a dangerous hitter." I think that is quite accurate.

ode to veeck
07-24-2002, 06:23 AM
I recently heard him say "I wasn't a good hitter, but I was a dangerous hitter."

"I'm not a good announcer, but I'm a great butt kisser."

Procol Harum
07-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
His wife owns it.

Which deli are we talking about--the one by the cleaners (which has now been remodeled and is some new eat place), or the one that opened up recently in the old Cock Robin?

soxrme
07-24-2002, 11:56 AM
I also like Farmer & Rooney, and would not like to see them broken up. Farmer is a true Sox fan all the way. I would like to see Wimpy back also. I do not mind DJ but something is lacking there between him and Hawk. Piersall is getting on in years and would be good occasionally but not all the time. He was a real jerk in his last year here and went out of his way at times to downgrade the team and ownership supposedly in the name of truth. I respect his knowledge but not all his views.

Brian26
07-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Procol:

It was the deli that was next to the cleaners. It seemed like Jimmy was in there once every other week shooting the sh*t with the old man that worked behind the counter. Sometimes Jimmy would even make sandwiches. The deli has recently been renovated into a seafood grill, so I don't imagine Jimmy will be there anymore. I believe it's under new ownership.

Shane's Deli, by the way, is good stuff, but completely overpriced. I've actually been pleased lately with the service and cleanliness at the new Quizno's on Main Street.

By the way, last time I saw Jimmy, I asked him about the famous LaRussa incident outside the Sportsvision studios. I was disappointed because I knew the story better than Jimmy could remember it :) He couldn't remember if it was LaRussa and Lau, LaRussa and Kusyner, LaRussa and Leyland, etc. Jimmy said he had just had a heartattack that year, and it was low-class for LaRussa to show up like that.

Good Stuff.

Procol Harum
07-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Procol:

It was the deli that was next to the cleaners. It seemed like Jimmy was in there once every other week shooting the sh*t with the old man that worked behind the counter. Sometimes Jimmy would even make sandwiches. The deli has recently been renovated into a seafood grill, so I don't imagine Jimmy will be there anymore. I believe it's under new ownership.

Shane's Deli, by the way, is good stuff, but completely overpriced. I've actually been pleased lately with the service and cleanliness at the new Quizno's on Main Street.

By the way, last time I saw Jimmy, I asked him about the famous LaRussa incident outside the Sportsvision studios. I was disappointed because I knew the story better than Jimmy could remember it :) He couldn't remember if it was LaRussa and Lau, LaRussa and Kusyner, LaRussa and Leyland, etc. Jimmy said he had just had a heartattack that year, and it was low-class for LaRussa to show up like that.

Good Stuff.

That would've been cool to run into the Jimster there; sorry I missed that little bit of Wheaton color. That deli had good sammiches, but otherwise, the place was bare for the convenience store clone it was trying to be. Shane's is pretty good, but I agree on the overpriced--if they'd knock about .75-$1.00 off of the base price of their sammich they'd be great. I haven't been into the Main St. Quizno's yet, but I've developed a taste for the Turkey Lite sub the chain sells so I'll be conscious to keep them more in mind. :smile:

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

That would've been cool to run into the Jimster there; sorry I missed that little bit of Wheaton color. That deli had good sammiches, but otherwise, the place was bare for the convenience store clone it was trying to be. Shane's is pretty good, but I agree on the overpriced--if they'd knock about .75-$1.00 off of the base price of their sammich they'd be great. I haven't been into the Main St. Quizno's yet, but I've developed a taste for the Turkey Lite sub the chain sells so I'll be conscious to keep them more in mind. :smile:

you guys are torturing me with the chi food stories. where i live, all we have are subway, dominoes and pizza hut.

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

you guys are torturing me with the chi food stories. where i live, all we have are subway, dominoes and pizza hut.

I'd have to move if I were you.

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I'd have to move if I were you. :)

Brian26
07-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Shane's is trying hard, and I dont mind supporting the guys who opened it up as opposed to the corporate suits who run Subway, etc. It's a pretty cool story...2 or 3 guys opened the place up. They're basically in the their mid-20's, a few years out of school. They've got a contract with Boar's Head and Gonnella, and they're trying to make a run of it in the old Cock Robin restaurant. They're awesome as far as customer service. You used to go into the Corner Deli and literally have to wait 30 minutes to get a sandwich. Shane's has 3 or 4 guys behind the counter, so they can whip something up for you pretty quickly. But, like we said, the prices are a bit much. If you want to get a bag of chips and a soda, it's between 7 and 8 bucks. A bit too much I think.

Also, if you're in Wheaton for lunch, Front Street Cocina has excellent steak fajitas on Thursdays. Definitely one of my favorites. You can eat the steak separately and then dip the warm tortillas in the guacamole sauce on the side...good stuff.

I've been to the new Gino's a few times, but I'm not a big "pizza for lunch" person. The service over there sucks too. If you ever make it down to Danada, Red Robin actually has really tasty burgers for lunch. Jack Straw's also has good, greasy food if you want to stay in the downtown area. A guy brough a cheezy beef in for lunch today, and the smell was sensational. My mouth was watering.

Sorry about all the food talk :)

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 04:31 PM
I just found out they opened a Weber Grill down the street from where I work. I'm thinking about taking a three hour lunch tomorrow to check it out.

Brian26
07-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Is that the one downtown Cheryl????

The one in Lombard is awesome, but the seating inside sucks. The tables are too damn close together!

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 04:47 PM
It's at State and Ohio. I havn't been yet.

But I will recommend Issac Hayes's place over on LaSalle (or maybe Clark) and Chicago.

Keystone Combo
07-25-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
I also like Farmer & Rooney, and would not like to see them broken up. Farmer is a true Sox fan all the way. I would like to see Wimpy back also. I do not mind DJ but something is lacking there between him and Hawk. Piersall is getting on in years and would be good occasionally but not all the time. He was a real jerk in his last year here and went out of his way at times to downgrade the team and ownership supposedly in the name of truth. I respect his knowledge but not all his views.

I agree with you on not agreeing with all of his views, but I don't agree with all of Rooney, Farmer, DJs, or Hawk's views either.

Piersall kept you on your toes, even when the team was playing poorly. Carey and him together was classic stuff and alot of entertainment and alot of baseball knowledge as well.

I just happen to love listen to the old baseball stories from the old players especially from the 50s / 60s. Farmer does tell some excellent baseball stories as well...... I just don't like listening to him or Hawk talking about golf or football during a baseball game.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Which deli are we talking about--the one by the cleaners (which has now been remodeled and is some new eat place), or the one that opened up recently in the old Cock Robin? Yeah, the one by the cleaners. I've been gone from Wheaton for four years now, didn't know what they had done with the old Cock Robin.

Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
you guys are torturing me with the chi food stories. where i live, all we have are subway, dominoes and pizza hut. I'm sorry for you.

Quizno's is awfully good. We even have one in Mankato now, although I still can't get a decent pizza. I discovered that you can order Jay's potato chips by the case on the internet. That has made my life a little better.

Tavarin
07-25-2002, 03:04 AM
I say they rotate WSI board members in the booth, what fun we would have up there :)

Procol Harum
07-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Also, if you're in Wheaton for lunch, Front Street Cocina has excellent steak fajitas on Thursdays. Definitely one of my favorites. You can eat the steak separately and then dip the warm tortillas in the guacamole sauce on the side...good stuff.

I've been to the new Gino's a few times, but I'm not a big "pizza for lunch" person. The service over there sucks too. If you ever make it down to Danada, Red Robin actually has really tasty burgers for lunch. Jack Straw's also has good, greasy food if you want to stay in the downtown area. A guy brough a cheezy beef in for lunch today, and the smell was sensational. My mouth was watering.

Sorry about all the food talk :)

Front St. is a long-time fave--good food, reasonable prices. The black beans served with everything is a culinary boo-boo (they're Cuban, not Mexican), but good is good. Gino's is pretty good, but if I'm gettin' pizza locally I'll usually opt for the Malnati's carry-out up on Geneva Rd. or perhaps Nancy's Pizza on Main St. south of the tracks. Red Robin is a good burger, but the price is a bit high (in other parts of the country you can get the same sort of burger quality for a lot less at places like Carl's Jr./Hardee's and Inn & Out Burger). Ever tried the Egglectic Cafe? Good food, but again pricey. It's that downtown Wheaton real estate, I s'pose. Best breakfast joint is the Red Apple Pancake House on Schmale up in Carol Stream in what used to be the Wag's (and then Shoney's, and then about 3-4 other incarnations before this place opened up 2 years ago).

Jack Straws is a good place that has their own distinctive twist on a lot of sandwiches. Sometimes they just don't work, but for the most part it's all good. Try the Chicken Gyro--outstanding. Speaking of gyros--The Smokehouse kicks butt in that regard. Best local Chicago-style eatery for beef and dogs is probably next door in Glen Ellyn: Flip's on Roosevelt. And of course you have Portillo's up in Glendale Hts.....

Man, could I use a Chicago-style dog now...even if it is 9:25 in the AM :D: