PDA

View Full Version : Ubaldo Jimenez drills former teammate Troy Tulowitzki, benches clear

Foulke You
04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Things getting pretty heated between Ubaldo and his former team. Doesn't seem like Ubaldo is handling the divorce well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ubaldo-jimenez-drills-troy-tulowitzki-bad-blood-former-231241754.html

RKMeibalane
04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Things getting pretty heated between Ubaldo and his former team. Doesn't seem like Ubaldo is handling the divorce well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ubaldo-jimenez-drills-troy-tulowitzki-bad-blood-former-231241754.html

Definitely not. Jim Tracy was livid about what happened, saying that he'd "lost all respect for Jiminez." I'm hoping Tulowitzki's injury isn't too serious, as his absence would hurt the Rockies attack.

cws05champ
04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Cowardly move on Jimenez part....if you are going to drill someone, do it in the butt and turn around. No need to hit someone in the arm area and then stare him down and run towards home plate. Accident my ass!!

Boondock Saint
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Eleven games should be the minimum for that.

Foulke You
04-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Definitely not. Jim Tracy was livid about what happened, saying that he'd "lost all respect for Jiminez." I'm hoping Tulowitzki's injury isn't too serious, as his absence would hurt the Rockies attack.
Article says the injury is not serious. Sounds like it is just a bruise but I still think Jimenez might get a suspension for that.

dwitt76
04-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I have never seen a pitcher charge the plate after hitting someone. :scratch:

RKMeibalane
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Article says the injury is not serious. Sounds like it is just a bruise but I still think Jimenez might get a suspension for that.

He should, which raises another point: why is it that starting pitchers' suspensions are based on the number of games their team plays, rather than their starts? If Ryan Howard is suspended five games for fighting, he misses five games (barring appeal). If Cole Hamels is suspended five games, he misses one start, at most. Why? Shouldn't he miss five starts?

doublem23
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
He should, which raises another point: why is it that starting pitchers' suspensions are based on the number of games their team plays, rather than their starts? If Ryan Howard is suspended five games for fighting, he misses five games (barring appeal). If Cole Hamels is suspended five games, he misses one start, at most. Why? Shouldn't he miss five starts?

Because Ryan Howard regularly plays the other 4 days that Cole Hamels doesn't? Also remember, a big part of "suspension" is also related to your paycheck. A suspension isn't a paid vacation, it's a GET THE **** OUT OF HERE WHILE WE TAKE YOUR MONEY thing.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Because Ryan Howard regularly plays the other 4 days that Cole Hamels doesn't? Also remember, a big part of "suspension" is also related to your paycheck. A suspension isn't a paid vacation, it's a GET THE **** OUT OF HERE WHILE WE TAKE YOUR MONEY thing.

I understand the financial implications, but I've always taken a suspension to also penalize the player by preventing him from helping his team during the suspension. If that's the case, why force an everyday player to miss five games he most likely would have played in, when a pitcher who doesn't play every day will likely miss only a single game?

Five games should be give games that the player in question would have played in: anything else is a double-standard.

soxnut1018
04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I understand the financial implications, but I've always taken a suspension to also penalize the player by preventing him from helping his team during the suspension. If that's the case, why force an everyday player to miss five games he most likely would have played in, when a pitcher who doesn't play every day will likely miss only a single game?

Five games should be give games that the player in question would have played in: anything else is a double-standard.

Yes, but missing Cole Hamels for 1 start out of 30 is roughly equivalent to missing Howard for 5 games out of 150.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes, but missing Cole Hamels for 1 start out of 30 is roughly equivalent to missing Howard for 5 games out of 150.

It seems steep, but it may be the only way to prevent the scenario we're discussing. As it stands, if a pitcher decides to go after a hitter, there's nothing the hitter can do to stop him. If a position player tried to retaliate against a pitcher who threw at him, his intentions would be obvious, and he would be severely punished. It's certainly an accepted part of baseball culture for his own pitcher to retaliate on his behalf, but that's likely to get said pitcher ejected.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
It's official: he's getting five games (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7767204/mlb-bans-cleveland-indians-ubaldo-jimenez-5-games-hitting-colorado-rockies-troy-tulowitzki), pending appeal.

tstrike2000
04-02-2012, 08:50 PM
He frankly should've been suspended at least two starts.