PDA

View Full Version : When are you old enough to become bitter?

Dadawg_77
07-22-2002, 10:58 AM
After 24 years on this earth, I am begining to become a bitter man towards the Sox. I love them, but it seems they break my heart every single freaking time, it seems they have a chance.
I know I am way to young to become bitter, but now my feelings towards the Sox taste like a bitter beer. Man for those of you who have followed the Sox longer then myself, is there any hope? How have you handle it?

idseer
07-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
After 24 years on this earth, I am begining to become a bitter man towards the Sox. I love them, but it seems they break my heart every single freaking time, it seems they have a chance.
I know I am way to young to become bitter, but now my feelings towards the Sox taste like a bitter beer. Man for those of you who have followed the Sox longer then myself, is there any hope? How have you handle it?

picture it. after 40+ years of watching them not win an american league title, after a LIFETIME of no world championships, of watching perhaps their best chance go down the tubes because of a strike, after all that ........ i'm a bitter encrusted old man, knowing i'll die without my biggest dream fulfilled, hanging my head in shame at being associated with cursed white sox, an empty bottle of pills on the floor as i type with tear-stained hands.

ummmmmmm, not really! you get over it.
it's like trying to win the lottery. you know you never will, but there's always hope! after awhile the disappointment becomes like an old friend you still like to argue with.

read a book!

Paulwny
07-22-2002, 12:01 PM
1 pennant and 1 ws appearance, getting older, more years of rebuilding, over the years I have become more and more a pessimist, no light at the end of the tunnel......
I know why I became a sox fan , I can't answer why I stay one since I've never lived in the Chi area.
Hang in there you're still young, things with this team will get worse. When you stop beating your head against a wall you feel better.

duke of dorwood
07-22-2002, 12:06 PM
With me, I guess the whole Chicago sports scene has helped me deal with it. Thats why the Bears '85 team was one for me to celebrate. It just dont happen here. (I dont care about what the pro basketball team does). I have become numb, but I hate it when the Cubs try to improve, and we dont. That gets me more than ANYTHING the teams do.

harwar
07-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Some of my earliest memories of my dad are of him and me at ol Comiskey during the late 50s'.As the years go by you learn to deal with the anger,frustration and rage by engaging in some sort of diversion that is palatable and familiar to you.In my case,just lately i've turned to my ol friend john barleycorn.Its just his turn i guess as maryjoanna has taken a back seat.

FarWestChicago
07-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by idseer
ummmmmmm, not really! you get over it.
it's like trying to win the lottery. you know you never will, but there's always hope! after awhile the disappointment becomes like an old friend you still like to argue with.

read a book! Well said, id.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Never too old to become bitter, but why do that?

White Sox baseball is White Sox baseball and you will get used to it....... besides when WE do win it........ it will be very special won't it? Want to be really depressed........ become a Flub fan and enjoy the vines and the sunshine.

Paulwny
07-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo

besides when WE do win it........ it will be very special won't it?

I wish I had your optimism !!! My biggest fear is that if it does happen I'll be too old to know.

sox_fan_forever
07-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo

besides when WE do win it........ it will be very special won't it?

I've told myself that a million times and then I remember all the other Sox fans who have probably said that.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 01:36 PM
That's the best part of being a White Sox fan........ we don't quit.

Our day will come and it will be wonderful ........

Chisox353014
07-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
With me, I guess the whole Chicago sports scene has helped me deal with it. Thats why the Bears '85 team was one for me to celebrate. It just dont happen here. (I dont care about what the pro basketball team does). I have become numb, but I hate it when the Cubs try to improve, and we dont. That gets me more than ANYTHING the teams do.

For a long time now I've been kind of puzzled and even a little embarassed by this city's near-fanatical obsession with the '85 Bears. I mean, that team was great and all, but it's been almost 20 years now. But lately I've realized that for non-hoops fans, that team is the only Chicago team in the last 40 years that actually delivered. In fact, you could say that the entirety of Chicago sports after World War II pretty much boils down to the Portland Trailblazers being stupid enough to pick Sam Bowie in the 1984 NBA draft. How much more pathetic would this city look if that hadn't happened?!?

As far as being a bitter Sox fan goes... my Dad is a lifelong Sox fan. In 1959 he was an excited 15-year old kid listening to the Sox pound the Dodgers 11-0 in Game 1 of the World Series in Chicago. They had the Series in the bag and the sky was the limit. Well, it's now 43 years later, and that Game 1 victory is still the last home playoff win in Sox history. In 2000, the now 56-year old jaded father went with his 26-year old son to Game 1 of the playoffs. The Sox were coming off an amazing 2000 regular season and the sky was the limit. Well, as the Sox stranded 2 in the 9th and Keith Foulke fed his gopher in the 10th, the torch was officially passed. The 26-year old finally and completely understood what it meant to be a Sox fan. He knew Paul Abbott would make the Sox look like fools in Game 2 and that there was no hope in Game 3. The total collapse of the organization from it's seemingly lofty perch in 2000 to the sorry state of 2002 does not surprise him at all. For he is a Sox fan, and there is no hope for the cursed...

OK, that was a little too serious but you get the idea :gulp:

Procol Harum
07-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Man for those of you who have followed the Sox longer then myself, is there any hope?

Very little hope, DaDawg. 41 years of disappointment have provided empirical proof. Don't feel too young to jump on the bitterness bandwagon, however--us old-timers have a big enough resevoir of shattered dreams and bile to extend a helping hand on-board.

Actually, the Sox are very helpful in a spiritual sense in bringing one to realize that pinning one's happiness and hope on the passing foibles of mortal men is like building one's house on shifting sand.

And, thankfully, my misery has been intermittently relieved by my football team (a certain squad that wears GREEN & GOLD) which has won 6 world championships in my lifetime.... :D:

34 Inch Stick
07-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Bitter? Why are you giving bitter such a bad rap? The darker side is the best fuel for inspiration. Hate, anger, bitterness...I say embrace them like a long lost lover. Sure there are some side effects, like ulcers and bad relationships. Let it flow like Darth Vader.

As far as when to become bitter, doctors say that it is okay to become bitter right after the second month. You don't get your bottle quickly enough or you crap your pants and have to sit in it, those are good reasons for bitterness in my book.

captain54
07-22-2002, 03:57 PM
the only upside to being a Sox fan since the late 50's is that when something good happens you appreciate it a lot more because you get so used to the disappointments....

case in point....

the years 68'-71' were dark days for the franchise....I think it was 1970 when the Sox didnt even draw a half a million....

1972 happened with Chuck Tanner and Richie Allen and even though it wasnt that great a year ultimately, it seemed like a gift from heaven and a drop of water to a dying man in the desert...