PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Season started last night while you were asleep

doublem23
03-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Seattle beat Oakland 3-1 in 11 innings last night before 44,000+ in Tokyo

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/seattle-mariners-beat-oakland-athletics-3-1-in-season-opener-in-tokyo-032812

SephClone89
03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Why the hell isn't MLBN airing these games live? Today and tomorrow they're delayed to 8am. What's the logic there? They aired a ST game from yesterday at 5am today, followed by the delayed regular season game.

So by the time the game came on, most people in the East and Midwest were already at work. Very strange--would've loved to watch a couple hours of it before heading to work in the morning.

amsteel
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
The Mariners guys are broadcasting the game from Washington. So that means that ROOT sports couldn't pony up the cash to send them there for 3 days? Weak. Although I give them props for dropping a Chris Sabo/Rec-Specs reference. I'd pay good money to see Hawk and DJ fumbling around Japan.

The opening week schedule is so odd. The Ms play these two then at OAK Fri and Sat next week and are then off on Sunday. So strange.

Also, the Marlins open at home in Miami on Wed, are at CIN on Thurs, off Fri and then finish the series Sat and Sun, then off to PHI on Monday.

TDog
03-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Any time the A's lose (unless it's to a non-White Sox AL Central team), it's a good day.

goofymsfan
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Not everyone was asleep for the game. While I couldn't watch it because I was at work (graveyard shift) I did get to listen to it via MLB Audio since where I work doesn't get very good AM audio reception. It was a good game and glad my M's came out on top. So glad Baseball is back!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

palehozenychicty
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Not everyone was asleep for the game. While I couldn't watch it because I was at work (graveyard shift) I did get to listen to it via MLB Audio since where I work doesn't get very good AM audio reception. It was a good game and glad my M's came out on top. So glad Baseball is back!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Montero and Ackley will be the linchpins for their season. Smoak has some more time, but they're waiting on him too.

They have some talent coming on the staff. I think they'll replace the Angels in a couple years as a lead contender.

goofymsfan
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Montero and Ackley will be the linchpins for their season. Smoak has some more time, but they're waiting on him too.

They have some talent coming on the staff. I think they'll replace the Angels in a couple years as a lead contender.

Right now the AL West's leader is the Rangers, they have a pitching staff that goes with the offense. The Angels are starting to spend lots of money, but not necessarily getting they bang they need for the buck. Will the M's compete this year, probably not, but they will be fun to watch with the kids coming up. I'm guessing they will keep Chone on a short leash and do what they can to trade him.

Smoak, Carp, and Saunders all put in a great deal of off season work and I look for it to pay off this year.

palehozenychicty
03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Right now the AL West's leader is the Rangers, they have a pitching staff that goes with the offense. The Angels are starting to spend lots of money, but not necessarily getting they bang they need for the buck. Will the M's compete this year, probably not, but they will be fun to watch with the kids coming up. I'm guessing they will keep Chone on a short leash and do what they can to trade him.

Smoak, Carp, and Saunders all put in a great deal of off season work and I look for it to pay off this year.

Yes. I like their future better than the Sox right now, in terms of young talent. Enjoy that first win! :gulp:

DirtySox
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM

The Walker, Paxton, Hultzen trio has loads of potential. I can't wait to watch that young pitching develop. Particularly Taijuan.

goofymsfan
03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
The Walker, Paxton, Hultzen trio has loads of potential. I can't wait to watch that young pitching develop. Particularly Taijuan.

I'm excited to see them develop in Tacoma this year. I like being close to 2 minor league M's teams along with the major league club.

DSpivack
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm excited to see them develop in Tacoma this year. I like being close to 2 minor league M's teams along with the major league club.

MLB team in Seattle, AAA team in Tacoma, what's the other one?

doublem23
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM

The Mariners have a Low A (might even be Rookie League) team in Everett, north of Seattle

Lip Man 1
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
As long as the Rangers and Angels are getting their megamillions because of their new regional TV deals, they will be able to buy over any mistakes they might make on players and player development.

They will be contending basically every year much as the Yankees and Red Sox. Those clubs haven't had losing years since what the mid /late 90's?

I see Seattle and Oakland turning into Toronto and Baltimore in the East. Basically little to no shot of getting into the postseason even with the additional wild card.

Lip

doublem23
03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
I see Seattle and Oakland turning into Toronto and Baltimore in the East. Basically little to no shot of getting into the postseason even with the additional wild card.

Toronto will eventually overtake Tampa Bay as the third power in the East. The Rays are just riding the high wave right now of some incredibly lucky moves that have panned out well for them, but overall their long-term prospects are much bleaker than the Blue Jays'.

To be honest, the Orioles are probably in a better position, too, assuming Peter Angelos isn't immortal.

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Toronto will eventually overtake Tampa Bay as the third power in the East. The Rays are just riding the high wave right now of some incredibly lucky moves that have panned out well for them, but overall their long-term prospects are much bleaker than the Blue Jays'.

To be honest, the Orioles are probably in a better position, too, assuming Peter Angelos isn't immortal.

Those "lucky moves" are the result of a fantastic farm system and having arguably one of the best managers and GMs in baseball. I think what is likely to do Tampa in is their stadium situation and the fact they are located in Tampa

doublem23
03-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Those "lucky moves" are the result of a fantastic farm system and having arguably one of the best managers and GMs in baseball. I think what is likely to do Tampa in is their stadium situation and the fact they are located in Tampa

And still quite a bit of it is luck, the White Sox had several "sure thing, can't miss" prospects in their farm system in 2000 when we were the accepted "model franchise" and yet only two of them, Buehrle and Rowand, went on to have any kind of sustained success at the MLB level. Who could have predicted Jon Rauch would never be able to make the leap to teh next level, or that Jon Garland would never quite put it all together, or Joe Crede's back was aging 10x faster than the rest of his body?

In a 6-year run from 1999-2004, the Sox had 17 prospects show up on BA's Top 100 List. In a 6-year run from 2006-2011, the Rays have had 18.

The Rays obviously have smart people and they are making good moves, but there's still an incredible amount of luck, guys haven't blown their arms out, nobody's had any kind of debilitating injury, the pieces have just all kind of fit. But it won't last forever, it's just the nature of baseball, things will eventually not work out for them perfectly and since they have no fans they have no room for error.

Moses_Scurry
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
And still quite a bit of it is luck, the White Sox had several "sure thing, can't miss" prospects in their farm system in 2000 when we were the accepted "model franchise" and yet only two of them, Buehrle and Rowand, went on to have any kind of sustained success at the MLB level. Who could have predicted Jon Rauch would never be able to make the leap to teh next level, or that Jon Garland would never quite put it all together, or Joe Crede's back was aging 10x faster than the rest of his body?

In a 6-year run from 1999-2004, the Sox had 17 prospects show up on BA's Top 100 List. In a 6-year run from 2006-2011, the Rays have had 18.

The Rays obviously have smart people and they are making good moves, but there's still an incredible amount of luck, guys haven't blown their arms out, nobody's had any kind of debilitating injury, the pieces have just all kind of fit. But it won't last forever, it's just the nature of baseball, things will eventually not work out for them perfectly and since they have no fans they have no room for error.

I remember those early 2000 prospects like it was yesterday. That was when I first started reading WSI and baseball message boards in general. After reading some of the opinions here (I think Randar is still around from time to time), I thought the Sox would be powerhouses all throughout the 2000's. Since all those guys fizzled out, I have never viewed prospects the same, even if their names are Stephen Strasburg or Matt Wieters. I've become a hardened cynic whenever I read some glowing article about the next awesome prospect, and I have never had a problem with Kenny trading a prospect for an established major leaguer.

The funny thing is that Buehrle was NEVER mentioned in any of the posts back then about how awesome our farm system was. It was always Kip Wells, Jon Garland, Jon Rauch (big time on this one), Joe Borchard, Joe Crede, Rocky Biddle, Matt Guerrier, Lorenzo Barcelo, Aaron Rowand, etc. Buehrle easily outperformed all of them with Crede and Rowand being distant 2nd/3rd.

EDIT: the 2000 season was my first experience ever with baseball message boards, and it was quite fun.

palehozenychicty
03-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Indeed. There's a reason why they've made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years in a row in that division. They had a ton of picks, but you still have to work them into a system and maximize the asset.

They do need a better location within Tampa. Or they should just be folded, which as we know, will never happen.

DSpivack
03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
A's won 4-1; Yoenis Cespedes hit a 2-run shot, while Johnny Gomes and Josh Reddick hit solo shots. Justin Smoak HR'd for the Mariners. The winning SP? Bartolo Colon, 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 K.

goofymsfan
03-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by DSpivack http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2905970#post2905970)

The Mariners have a Low A (might even be Rookie League) team in Everett, north of Seattle

Yes, the Everett Aquasox are the other team, they are a short season single A team in the NW league

Foulke You
04-01-2012, 02:04 AM
The funny thing is that Buehrle was NEVER mentioned in any of the posts back then about how awesome our farm system was. It was always Kip Wells, Jon Garland, Jon Rauch (big time on this one), Joe Borchard, Joe Crede, Rocky Biddle, Matt Guerrier, Lorenzo Barcelo, Aaron Rowand, etc. Buehrle easily outperformed all of them with Crede and Rowand being distant 2nd/3rd.

EDIT: the 2000 season was my first experience ever with baseball message boards, and it was quite fun.
Good observation. I actually started getting on board WSI in '99 so I definitely remember the prospect talks in 2000. Garland and Borchard were the "golden boys" and deemed untouchable prospects. Jason Stumm, Kris Honel, and Royce Ring also had a decent amount of hype surrounding them for a while in the early 2000s. Rauch's stock really took off after his great showing in the Olympics. (A team that also featured former Brewers ace Ben Sheets.) There was also a pretty decent amount of excitement surrounding Josh Paul because he was a catcher with tremendous speed and the Sox were still using stopgaps behind the plate like Brook Fordyce and Mark Johnson at the time. Turned out Josh Paul's greatest White Sox contribution ended up being his failure to tag AJ in Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS.

Doublem23's post does ring true. There is a certain amount of luck involved with baseball prospects. I've seen enough of them fail to keep cautious optimism when I hear anything about a rising star in our system. (Scott Ruffcorn is still the Sox prospect bust World Champion) A late round pick like Hector Santiago or Nathan Jones could strike gold for the Sox this year while recent first rounders like Lance Broadway and Aaron Poreda fade into obscurity. It's the nature of the beast.