PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Eduardo Escobar

doublem23
03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Sox reassigned Dallas McPherson and Dan Johnson, among others, to minor league camp today which appears to give Escobar the final roster spot with the team when they break camp and head North.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/White-Sox-cut-six-Escobar-wins-bench-spo?blockID=677860&feedID=10338&awid=4820995921388762257-915

VMSNS
03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I would have thought that the Sox would want him to play everyday, thus sending him back to Charlotte. But, you can't really complain about this. I was at a few Spring Training games two weeks ago, and the kid looked amazing. In one game, he had three hits, a stolen base, a 3-run HR, and an amazing leaping play in the field.

DonnieDarko
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
So, wait. What happens to Lillibridge, then?

doublem23
03-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Nothing, he's still the 10th guy/supersub. If the Sox carry 12 pitchers, I'd assume the rest of the Sox's roster is:

AJ
Flowers
Konerko
Bacon
Morel
Alexei
Rios
de Aza
Dayan
Big Donkey
Lillibridge
Fukudome
Escobar

sox1970
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Filling in for De Aza in CF, starting once in a while at 3B and 2B, he'll probably get 350 ABs this season, if not more.

Escobar is going to start once every couple weeks, and pinch run.

He'll also push Beckham a little.

russ99
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Flowers, Escobar, Lillibridge and Fukudome.

That's a pretty solid bench. :D:

I hope Flowers can play well enough to get 2-3 starts a week, and keep A.J. from running down by August.

sox1970
03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Flowers, Escobar, Lillibridge and Fukudome.

That's a pretty solid bench. :D:

I hope Flowers can play well enough to get 2-3 starts a week, and keep A.J. from running down by August.

How about once a series, and quasi personal catcher for Peavy?

If Flowers is good enough to start about 50 games, that would be a good thing.

JB98
03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
I like the decision to keep Escobar. I value defense and versatility in backup players, and Escobar brings more to the table in that regard than Dan Johnson.

Also, the thought of Lillibridge as our primary backup middle infielder didn't excite me. I think Lillibridge is OK defensively in the outfield, but I've always considered him an accident waiting to happen in the infield.

Harry Chappas
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Tell me more about this Escobar character. Where did they get him? Is he "AAAA" talent or is the ceiling higher for him?

doublem23
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Tell me more about this Escobar character. Where did they get him? Is he "AAAA" talent or is the ceiling higher for him?

Eduardo Escobar is 23 years old, originally from Venezuela, and signed as an amateur free agent in 2006. He's been in the Sox farm system his entire career, slowly climbing the ranks in the organization. Defensively, he is ready for the Major Leagues, but his offense probably not. He's never hit for much power. FanGraphs ranked him as the #8 prospect in the Sox organization in December, 2011.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-15-prospects-chicago-white-sox/

Harry Chappas
03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Eduardo Escobar is 23 years old, originally from Venezuela, and signed as an amateur free agent in 2006. He's been in the Sox farm system his entire career, slowly climbing the ranks in the organization. Defensively, he is ready for the Major Leagues, but his offense probably not. He's never hit for much power. FanGraphs ranked him as the #8 prospect in the Sox organization in December, 2011.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-15-prospects-chicago-white-sox/

Thanks. Hopefully, Beckham puts it all together this season, but at least we have someone who might push him a bit if he gets into a prolonged funk.

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Escobar is my height and just a few pounds heavier than me so I am really pulling for him. There aren't many major leaguers of my build in the game so I hope he does very well.

thomas35forever
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info on Escobar. I admit my interest this Spring Training hasn't been as high this year, so that's a good start. Really though, how many knew a lot about Ozuna before Opening Day in '05?

On a side note, I recognize reading that article that he's three days older than me and Nestor Molina is one day younger.

Foulke You
03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Tough break for Dan Johnson since he was having a good Spring. Sox went with defense over offense with this move which is fine as I never fully trusted Lillibridge at SS or anywhere in the infield for that matter. I didn't like the two high sailing throws (errors) I saw out of Escobar in the two most recent televised ST games. Hopefully, that was just a blip on the radar. Is Johnson going to report to Charlotte? It would be nice to keep him there for some depth at 1B.

Lip Man 1
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
According to Gonzo's story tonight, Escobar is NOT guaranteed the final spot. It's between him and Olmedo:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0328-white-sox-chicago--20120328,0,1845133.story

Lip

Noneck
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
I have to assume Olmedo is out of options.

DirtySox
03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
It's Escobar's spot. The only way Olmedo gets it is if the organization wants Eduardo to get regular at bats and sends him to AAA to do so.