PDA

View Full Version : About Ed Farmer

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Am I alone or does Ed Farmer irritate any other White Sox fans when he wants to talk about all other kinds of sports while he is broadcasting White Sox baseball games on the radio?

I can't stand tuning in to listen to the White Sox and find Ed Farmer talking about Golf or Notre Dame football or anything else besides baseball. He doesn't just give a score, he has to go into all kinds of stories and stuff about golf or football.

Do the Bears announcers, the Bulls announcers, the Blackhawk announders, does anybody else talk about the White Sox when they are broadcasting their sport's games?

I don't think so........ and it is boring as hell to listen to something you have no interest in........ I want to hear White Sox baseball when I tune in...... not this other garbage. :angry:

FarWestChicago
07-22-2002, 03:04 AM
The worst part is his compulsion to talk about the Flubs and his love for Sham-ME! :angry:

:nandrolone

I'm Farmio's guy!

Soxheads
07-22-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The worst part is his compulsion to talk about the Flubs and his love for Sham-ME! :angry:

:nandrolone

I'm Farmio's guy!

I'm glad I live in Iowa and I don't hear any of this crap on the radio.

Unfortunately, there's still Hawk and DJ on the TV.

hsc1
07-22-2002, 03:15 AM
but you have to admit that hawk and dj are far better than chimp and his sidekick......

Soxheads
07-22-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by hsc1
but you have to admit that hawk and dj are far better than chimp and his sidekick......

Yeah, well anything is.....

ISUSoxfan
07-22-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo
Am I alone or does Ed Farmer irritate any other White Sox fans when he wants to talk about all other kinds of sports while he is broadcasting White Sox baseball games on the radio?
Farmer irritates me every time he talks, no matter what he's saying. He's got an annoying voice and he won't shut up. And he does ramble on about meaningless garbage. If I wanted to hear crap like Farmer, I'd listen to the Score because even Mike North is not as annoying as Farmer.

Fisk72
07-22-2002, 10:04 AM
I actually really like Farmer. I mean, I think he has a pretty interesting perspective to the game, being a former pitcher and all. And it's especially amusing to hear him and John criticize the team. As far as him talking about other sports, well, I don't mind as much just because that's less I get to hear about how crappy our team is doing. I'm sure if we were in 1st or really battling the Twins, he'd focus solely on the team. And as far as those guys compared to Hawk and DJ, well, I mute the tv and turn up the radio. I swear Hawk and DJ (DJ especially) totally put me asleep. When I want to take a nap on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll put on the tv, it's that bad. My buddy from Pittsburgh harrasses me about how crappy our tv announcers are (and don't get me started about what he says regarding the Ritchie deal) when the Sox games are on WGN. So I guess I probably find myself in the minority by saying I like Ed Farmer. (plus he's a ND fan, so that doesn't hurt!)

TornLabrum
07-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo
Do the Bears announcers, the Bulls announcers, the Blackhawk announders, does anybody else talk about the White Sox when they are broadcasting their sport's games?

I don't think so........ and it is boring as hell to listen to something you have no interest in........ I want to hear White Sox baseball when I tune in...... not this other garbage. :angry:

There's one reason. There is a lot of dead time during a baseball game that you don't see in any other sport. Nothing is going on between pitches, and the most you have to describe is "curveball, low and outside" after most pitches. In football, you have to re-explain every play to give a better mental picture of what the play-by-play guy just described, and that takes up most of the time the players are in the huddle. With basketball and hockey it's obvious that there is very little time in which nothing is happening.

The only thing that I don't like about Farmer is the monotone he uses when doing play-by-play. He's much harder to listen to the Rooney in that respect. As for the other topics of conversation, I have the ability to tune it out if it doesn't interest me.

What I do like is the perspective he brings as a former pitcher (and lifelong Sox fan) to the game.

SI1020
07-22-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I actually really like Farmer. I mean, I think he has a pretty interesting perspective to the game, being a former pitcher and all. And it's especially amusing to hear him and John criticize the team. As far as him talking about other sports, well, I don't mind as much just because that's less I get to hear about how crappy our team is doing. I'm sure if we were in 1st or really battling the Twins, he'd focus solely on the team. And as far as those guys compared to Hawk and DJ, well, I mute the tv and turn up the radio. I swear Hawk and DJ (DJ especially) totally put me asleep. When I want to take a nap on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll put on the tv, it's that bad. My buddy from Pittsburgh harrasses me about how crappy our tv announcers are (and don't get me started about what he says regarding the Ritchie deal) when the Sox games are on WGN. So I guess I probably find myself in the minority by saying I like Ed Farmer. (plus he's a ND fan, so that doesn't hurt!) I live in Pittsburgh and KW is very popular with my wife the Pirate fan. As far as announcers go most of the modern ones bore me to tears. I prefer Rooney and Farmer to Hawk and DJ. Most nites I can tune into R and F on my trusty old radio. I thought Hawk and Wimpy worked much better and am still ever so confused as t o why Wimpy left. So many different stories from so many different people including the Wimperoo himself.

mrwag
07-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
[BI thought Hawk and Wimpy worked much better and am still ever so confused as t o why Wimpy left. So many different stories from so many different people including the Wimperoo himself. [/B]
I thought those 2 were awsome together in the booth. The game was always fun to watch. Hawk and DJ just don't cut it together.

Foulke You
07-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I actually really like Farmer. I mean, I think he has a pretty interesting perspective to the game, being a former pitcher and all. And it's especially amusing to hear him and John criticize the team. As far as him talking about other sports, well, I don't mind as much just because that's less I get to hear about how crappy our team is doing. I'm sure if we were in 1st or really battling the Twins, he'd focus solely on the team. And as far as those guys compared to Hawk and DJ, well, I mute the tv and turn up the radio. I swear Hawk and DJ (DJ especially) totally put me asleep. When I want to take a nap on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll put on the tv, it's that bad. My buddy from Pittsburgh harrasses me about how crappy our tv announcers are (and don't get me started about what he says regarding the Ritchie deal) when the Sox games are on WGN. So I guess I probably find myself in the minority by saying I like Ed Farmer. (plus he's a ND fan, so that doesn't hurt!)

You're not alone. I think Farmer and Rooney call a great game and would much rather tune in to them than Hawk and DJ. Hawk and Wimpy had good chemistry, but DJ doen't bring anything to the broadcast with his glass is always half full mentality. Farmer and Rooney aren't company men and aren't afraid to speak their minds. They also have good chemistry together and I think they convey the frustration of Sox fans much better than the TV crew. I bring my transistor radio with me to every game I go to at Comiskey. It wouldn't be baseball season to me without hearing Farmer and Rooney.

alohafri
07-22-2002, 03:12 PM
I enjoy listening to Farmer as well. As a former pitcher, he brings a lot to the broadcast, more than the former hitters on the TV side.

As far as off-topic discussions, right now, I prefer them to the so-called "action" on the field.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 03:21 PM
They can still talk about baseball rather than stories about golf and Notre Dame football.

The game of baseball is rich with subjects to talk about ... look right here at this message board. The stories of the past experiences of baseball and the history of the game as well as what other teams and players are doing today gives you a wide range of things to talk about.

Is it any different than a rain delay when a team is playing poorly on the field. What about the minor leaguers that might be coming up soon.

I too enjoy it when Farmer wants to talk about baseball mechanics with his expertise, it's the other garbage I can't take! :angry:

soxtalker
07-22-2002, 05:10 PM
I guess that this is a tough season to listen to either set of broadcasters. I will say that I miss Wimpy and Hawk. At times like this when there is little on the field to inspire, one could really use the humor that Wimpy brought to the booth. (I must admit that I still remember his "bat" commercial from the 80's when he was on the team.)

ISUSoxfan
07-22-2002, 06:05 PM
My favorite part of the broadcast was when Wimpy tried to read those promotional statements over the air, "Easy for me to say."

Ol Aches & Pains
07-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Farmer was terrible when he started, but he has grown in the job to the point where he's actually tolerable, which I can't say for the TV crew. I get the feeling Hawk and DJ can't stand each other, and who could blame them?

Mathew
07-23-2002, 03:23 AM
Have you listened to games on other networks/stations if they aren't talking about their golf game or whatever else they don't have crap all too say. When I play baseball in the outfield I talk to myself sometimes because nothing relevant aplies sometimes.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2002, 09:29 AM
I hated Farmer when he started, but he continues to grow on me. Even with his occasional lapses into discussions about his golf game, he is still providing ten-times as much useful information as either Hawk or D.J. ever do. In fact, I got so disgusted listening to those two dopes last night, I turned the volume down and watched the TV while listening to the radiocast.

Anyone complaining about side discussions in the Sox radio booth really ought to come clean about the epic levels of nonsense going on inside the Sox TV booth.

Keystone Combo
07-25-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I hated Farmer when he started, but he continues to grow on me. Even with his occasional lapses into discussions about his golf game, he is still providing ten-times as much useful information as either Hawk or D.J. ever do.

I can agree with you on this George..... even with the golf crap he does know his baseball and I do enjoy hearing him talk about his days scouting. I guess maybe the biggest problem I have is when I get into the car turn on the radio and want to know what is going on and it seems like a half hour or so that he's still talking golf or Notre Dame and I still don't know what's going on in the game. Know what I mean...... he's watching the game and talking golf but all I get is the golf and I can't see the game......

I don't like Hawk and DJ as much as Farmer and Rooney. I also like Bob Wills....... die hard Sox fan just like Farmer.