PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks the Sox could suprise everyone and contend?

tony1972
03-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I really think the team will bounce back this year. Almost everyone (exept for Konerko) had down years.

Also - it seems the years we've done well (2000, 2005,2008) expectations were low before the season began.

I honestly think the White Sox will be in the race in September..

Thoughts?

SoxSpeed22
03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
One thing is for certain, we are definitely going to execute better and not play as stupidly as we did last year. In retrospect, how the hell did we even win 79 games last year?
Dunn might have to lead the charge in the offense and Morel might have a surprise breakout. Flowers could even surprise too. The bullpen might be a cause for concern, as Thorny and Crain are the only vets.

sox1970
03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Everyone has to stay healthy. If the starting nine plays well enough to play 150 games (AJ- 120 games), and the opening day rotation starts 155 games, the Sox have a chance to surprise.

This team isn't bad though. Bad is Minnesota, Baltimore, and Oakland. The Sox aren't in that category.

TomBradley72
03-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I think they may be alot like the '77 White Sox- IF Dunn/Rios/Beckham bounce back this line up could produce a ton of runs- with 8 guys in double figures with HRs- but the pitching is pretty thin- Peavy/Sale/Humber are not exactly "innings eaters" and several unproven arms in the bullpen (Reed/Santiago/Bruney, etc.)- without much organizational depth after a thin major league staff.

Outfield defense will be below average as well.

If we still had Buehrle and Santos- I'd like our chances.

LongLiveFisk
03-25-2012, 02:48 PM
That's the beauty of baseball. It's a long season and you never know going into it what can happen. :cool:

Noneck
03-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Too much has to happen. The tigers are legit. And its not the comeback years that I worry about, its the breakout years. Beckham, Morel, De Aza, and Viciedo is a lot to happen. And there is not much to fill those holes if they dont. The relief staff is very thin compared to last year and with the starting staff not being horses, a good relief staff will be needed. To me the only way is for some reason , probably injuries, the tigers come back to the field but even then how far back in the field will the Sox be? Bottom line is no, I dont see it happening.

SI1020
03-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Been following the Sox since 1957. They are often full of surprises both good and bad. I never expected 1972, 1977, 1990, and 2000 to happen. In 2005 I was quietly confident but of course didn't dare dream of a WS winner. The Sox have a lot of ifs. Dunn, Peavy and Rios to be sure, but also the pitching from front to back. Can't forget about Morel and Beckham too. If the majority of these guys respond it could be one of those out of nowhere fun kind of years.

DumpJerry
03-25-2012, 03:28 PM
What is it about the Tigers that people think they'll be good this year? They have one, ONE, pitcher who is scary good. Let's see how he does this year after 251 fireballer (i.e., non-Buehrle) innings last year. They have a third baseman who can field bunts if he gets his belly out of the way in time. They have power offense up the wazoo, but when did that win anything?

You want to win? Pitching, pitching, pitching. Good pitching is enhanced by good defense.

The Tigers will play a lot of games with scores of 11-10.

SephClone89
03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
What is it about the Tigers that people think they'll be good this year? They have one, ONE, pitcher who is scary good. Let's see how he does this year after 251 fireballer (i.e., non-Buehrle) innings last year. They have a third baseman who can field bunts if he gets his belly out of the way in time. They have power offense up the wazoo, but when did that win anything?

You want to win? Pitching, pitching, pitching. Good pitching is enhanced by good defense.

I mean, I don't think they'll win 100 games or anything, but your evaluation is an overreaction to the hype, I think. There's plenty about the Tigers to like.

DumpJerry
03-25-2012, 03:45 PM
I mean, I don't think they'll win 100 games or anything, but your evaluation is an overreaction to the hype, I think. There's plenty about the Tigers to like.
I follow Big Frank's philosophy. He wrote it on his shoes to remind him of it.

StillMissOzzie
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
I feel that the Sox have a whole boatload of questions, and pretty much all of them have to go our way to contend:

Will Dunn bounce back?
Will Rios bounce back?
Will Bacon bounce back?
Will Sale make a decent starter?
Will Peavy stay healthy enough to avoid another 6 man rotation?
Will Humber not run out of gas in the 2nd half of the season?
Will Viciedo at least make the routine plays in LF?

Inquiring minds want to know...

SMO
:scratch::?:

Lip Man 1
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Not trying to be sarcastic but I'd be amazed if the Sox could just have a winning season...82-83 wins.

Lip

HomeFish
03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm optimistic about Dunn, but even Adam Dunn having the best season of his career won't be enough to save this team. So many other pieces would have to fall into place.

That said, twice in my lifetime the Sox have had seasons where almost everybody on the team had a career year. So stranger things can happen.

central44
03-25-2012, 04:23 PM
I think they will. The Sox seem to be better when the expectations are low, and I do think that last years team underachieved in a big way. If everyone plays like they're capable of, the Sox could be a very deep team--maybe not a whole lot of star power, but not many weaknesses either.

And to be fair, last year's team gave off the vibe that they hated playing baseball. I think the off-field drama messed with the team pretty heavily, so i'm hoping a new voice in the dugout will help turn things around

DirtySox
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
It could happen. I think it's more likely the team hovers around .500, with a chance to get worse depending on if Kenny deals some integral players.

LITTLE NELL
03-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Lot of ifs but every team has lots of ifs. I think the team will contend if everybody has their average year. The problem is we don't know what average is for Viciedo and Sale. I'm feeling better because the last week the team has shown some good signs in ST. If Dunn, Peavy, Rios and Beckham have good years the Sox will be in it to the end.

johnnyg83
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone ...

... and anyone can surprise and contend.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I think for a team to surprise and contend, a few guys need to have career years, while other guys have good years. In 1983, Kitty, Dot and Dewey had career years, while Bull and Pudge had very good years. Rudy Law probably had a career year too.

This year, Floyd and Danks probably need career years, as do a few offensive players. I'll say Beckham, De Aza and Ramirez will need the best offensive year of their careers, while other vets will need to play much better than they did last year.

Mingo
03-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The cool thing is the team is coming together in Spring Training - not something you saw very often during Ozzie's tenure.

The starting pitching is top 5 in the AL - A new wildcard slot is availble this year - so I think the Sox will contend for a playoff spot.

Golden Sox
03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Last year we won 79 games with a team that could not hit. If Dunn, Rios and Beckham actually hit this year I don't see why this team can't win 11 more games and be in the playoffs.

TDog
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I think the Sox could contend and wouldn't be surprised if they do. I would be surprised if the Tigers run away with the division, and I don't know that the Twins, Indians or Royals are as likely to contend as the White Sox are.

The loss of Buehrle will hurt, but the only starter in their projected rotation who wasn't a first-round draft pick is the one who won a Cy Young Award. They lost a closer who really wasn't as young and effective as people believed he was. I think last season was an embarrassment enough to a few players that they will work harder this season.

But, really, I think any season the White Sox contend it is a surprise to most White Sox fans.

MetroPD
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
While I like to be optimistic, the biggest IF is our pitching staff, and it doesnt look anything other than very average at best. I don't believe we will be doing anything other than more poor hitting, some decent hot streaks, and ultimately finishing 3rd in the division. Sorry folks.

LITTLE NELL
03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Let me add that Ventura is going to be a big plus, we are going to have a manager who doesn't spend half the game looking at the fans behind the dugout.

GlassSox
03-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Let me add that Ventura is going to be a big plus, we are going to have a manager who doesn't spend half the game looking at the fans behind the dugout.

Yes indeed.

cards press box
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I really think the team will bounce back this year. Almost everyone (exept for Konerko) had down years.

Also - it seems the years we've done well (2000, 2005,2008) expectations were low before the season began.

Thoughts?

I think the Sox could contend. Let me add another reason. When teams go from high pressure managers to low key managers (or vice versa), they often do much better. The Ozzie/KW feud got the best of the Sox in '10 and '11. That's in the past now and the Sox are poised to benefit from their new manager's demeanor. This will be a good year for the Sox.

And as I have said before, the Tigers' infield defense could legendarily bad. It is hard for me to imagine a championship quality team that has a first baseman at 3rd, a third baseman at short, a left fielder at second and a DH at first. Won't that defense sabotage the Tigers in close ball games?

tstrike2000
03-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Because so many guys underachieved last year, anything's possible.

JB98
03-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I think an awful lot depends on how the bullpen shakes out.

They need some guys to step forward and help Crain and Thornton.

DumpJerry
03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
There is a completely different work environment this year. We have a Manager and coaching staff that won't tolerate punching the clock while they were looking at real estate listings in the Miami area.

As one poster has mentioned, they seem to have their act together in ST better now than in the past few years. While ST records have little bearing on the regular season performance, it is nice to see the team gelling nicely.

guillensdisciple
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
As people have said previously in this thread- a lot of wrongs will have to be right if this team is to do anything this year.

With that in mind, I am not looking forward to this season in hopes that the Sox win the Series. I am excited to see the development of some of the young guys we are letting play.

balke
03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
It could happen for any team I guess. I'm really not thinking they could though.

I'd be more surprised by the Sox contending than the Sox finishing behind the Indians Twins or Royals.

ws05champs
03-26-2012, 12:16 AM
No doubt that the Sox can do better than expected and the Tigers do worse than expected.

Anybody remember last year when people were wondering why even bother with the season because the Phillies were supposed to be so good?

JB98
03-26-2012, 01:31 AM
No doubt that the Sox can do better than expected and the Tigers do worse than expected.

Anybody remember last year when people were wondering why even bother with the season because the Phillies were supposed to be so good?

Probably not the best example. The Phillies won 102 games last year. If the Tigers play like the 2011 Phillies, I'd say the White Sox are screwed.

doublem23
03-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Contend is a relative term... Luckily we're in the AL Central which is just a horrible division, undoubtedly the absolute worst in baseball right now; so with 57 games against KC, Cleveland, and Minnesota that could help boost the Sox's record and hang around with Detroit. I'm not exactly positive we could play with them for 162 games, but crazy things are a lot more likely to happen when you only have to jump 1 team.

But if the Sox were in a division like the AL East, uh, I think it would be unrealistic to expect them to win more than 50 games this year.

The Phillies were great last year. Just because they caught the wrong team at the wrong team in a 5-game series doesn't change the fact that for the previous 162 they were easily the best team in the National League.

russ99
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Contend is a relative term... Luckily we're in the AL Central which is just a horrible division, undoubtedly the absolute worst in baseball right now; so with 57 games against KC, Cleveland, and Minnesota that could help boost the Sox's record and hang around with Detroit. I'm not exactly positive we could play with them for 162 games, but crazy things are a lot more likely to happen when you only have to jump 1 team.

But if the Sox were in a division like the AL East, uh, I think it would be unrealistic to expect them to win more than 50 games this year.

The Phillies were great last year. Just because they caught the wrong team at the wrong team in a 5-game series doesn't change the fact that for the previous 162 they were easily the best team in the National League.

I think and have thought since Christmas that the Sox will be a .500 club this year. But they could go above or below that depending on if certain players bounce back or not.

I wonder if we're going to see a more balanced schedule division-wise next year with the Astros in the AL and an interleague matchup every day.

DonnieDarko
03-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I think that the White Sox will either be surprisingly good and perhaps sneak into the playoffs, or terribad and just stink up the joint. I don't see much room for anything inbetween.

doublem23
03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
I think that the White Sox will either be surprisingly good and perhaps sneak into the playoffs, or terribad and just stink up the joint. I don't see much room for anything inbetween.

Eh, I see above average to good pitching and below average to bad offense which more or less translates to .500, IMO.

DonnieDarko
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Eh, I see above average to good pitching and below average to bad offense which more or less translates to .500, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, doublem. While I certainly see it as a possibility that the Sox will be completely mediocre, I also see it as a possibility that they end up as I said in my previous post. And as many have already said, this is baseball: in the end, anything can happen.

34rancher
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree anything "can" happen. It doesn't mean anything "will happen". I've gone on record a month ago saying I think we finish with no less than 90 losses and we "contend" for the first overall draft pick. I said this a year ago when we signed the big donkey. We have 3 more years of a losing record.
I am excited to see robin though and what his influence will be.

ChiSoxGal85
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I'll plead guilty to eternal optimism and say I think the Sox will be better than most think. The pitching looks pretty good to me and if the offense does their job (Dunn, Rios, Beckham, I'm looking at you) then I think they're at least contending. But when it all gets down to it, so many good and bad things can happen that changes what happens to a team. If the stars align a certain way...you just never know.

amsteel
03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
If everything goes very well, they have a shot at the second wild card spot.

Chez
03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm an optimist by nature, but I haven't been this pessimistic about the White Sox chances since 2008 and, before that, 2005. So I guess I'm the wrong person to ask.

doublem23
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, doublem. While I certainly see it as a possibility that the Sox will be completely mediocre, I also see it as a possibility that they end up as I said in my previous post. And as many have already said, this is baseball: in the end, anything can happen.

So basically you're saying the Sox could be good, bad or in between?

:cool:

We agree then.

DonnieDarko
03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
So basically you're saying the Sox could be good, bad or in between?

:cool:

We agree then.

Let me rephrase: I see it as an especially small possibility that they are mediocre. I see that a much more likely outcome is that they're either terribad or surprisingly good.

Chrisaway
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Kind of feel like I did in '02 cept the pitching looks better.

ssviland
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, it's true. Baseball has a long season and anything can happen.

With their attendance, the Sox have had to manage like a mid-market team, despite playing in the third-largest market in the nation. KW gambled on some moves the past few years that involved trading prospects and not many of those paid off. The Swisher trades and letting Dan Hudson go really depleted the talent. Since mid- or low-market teams need to produce via the farm to compete, the Sox are thin in depth.

However, they still have talent to win. As much of a fan of Buehrle as I've been, he does not have the stuff of an ace, and never has. I always thought of him as a Bruce Hurst needing a Roger Clemens. He has been a great #2 without an ace to compliment him. After years of 12-14 wins I don't believe his departure is costly for the Sox, apart from the innings he eats. But he is at an age where they were beginning to limit his innings. I didn't understand letting Santos go since they had him under a favorable contract, but is he really the stud closer that some are remembering him as? He had about two months as an effective closer and then he was inconsistent. He might be really good, but no one knows yet. The point is that the Sox would have had question marks with their pitching WITH Buehrle and Santos, and I'm not sure that losing those two makes it any worse.

As one person posted, only Konerko has an exceptional year last year. Except for Humber, I like the Sox pitching staff. That doesn't mean they WILL do well, but they can. Anyone believe Danks will lose his first 8? And for years many have complained about Sale being in the bullpen when he is too good not to start! There is concern about closer, but that's been common for the Sox thru the years. In 2005 we started out with Takatsu as closer, and he was a question mark because his effectiveness seemed to be wearing off in 2004. We had pulled Hermanson off the scrap heap, and he nailed down the job until he got hurt. Jenks stepped in after being claimed off waivers before the season, and became the "closer of the future."

The Sox have a bunch of guys who really couldn't do any worse than last season - Dunn, Rios, Peavy, and Beckham especially. If one of those guys improves the team will improve. Seriously, if Dunn just goes back to his career norm and the other three simply do as well or slightly better than last season, the team is better. Those are not big ifs. I would bet on at least three of the four being better and none being worse, except for possibly Peavy if he has to shut it down and doesn't contribute at all.

Morel is a good fielder and started coming on late in the season. Beckham is a good fielder too, but we can't afford another year of sub-.700 OPS from both of those guys. Alexei has shown what we can expect from him, and I'm more comfortable with Viciedo than Quantin due to injuries. I just hope he can field a position. Rios sucked in CF last year, so moving him to RF (or LF if Viciedo can't handle LF) could actually improve the outfield defense. Pierre was awful and Quentin didn't have the legs to get to many balls.

In conclusion, I would say that the Sox are more likely to be better than last season than worse, but to beat the Tigers a lot of things have to go right. Of course, a lot needs to go right for the Tigers to beat us. They have offense and a good glove in CF, but their defense could cost them a lot of games.

Someone wrote that the Sox are a team that is hard to predict. They could win anywhere from 75 to 90 games, and I agree with that.

Milw
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
I follow Big Frank's philosophy. He wrote it on his shoes to remind him of it.
Sometimes hype is deserved. Not saying the Tigers are invincible, but they deserve the preseason predictions.

doublem23
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
After years of 12-14 wins I don't believe his departure is costly for the Sox, apart from the innings he eats.

You're selling Buehrle short and relying on a kind of pointless statistic. Buehrle's started 97 games for the Sox from 2009-2011. The Sox were 57-40 (.588, 95 wins extrapilated over 162 games) in those 97 games and were 189-200 (.486, 79 wins/162 games) when he didn't start.

doublem23
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Sometimes hype is deserved. Not saying the Tigers are invincible, but they deserve the preseason predictions.

Yeah if the White Sox had three legitimate MVPs on their roster, I think we'd be pretty insulted if we weren't expected to romp this division of cupcakes.

jdm2662
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
There have been times where the Sox were supposed to be terrible, and did good (1990, 2000, 2008). On the flip side, whenever there is major hype (1984, 1997, 2003, 2011), they don't do so well. I won't count 2006 as they won 90 games. They were doing well, but faded down the stretch. 2005, I don't think they were expected to be terrible, but certainly no one saw a WS in the future.

Most recently, the Sox came off a 90 loss season in 2007. In the off season, they fail to get the big fish in Miguel Cabrera It was a tragedy because KW insisted he was coming here, and he had ties to Ozzie. The whole world was on the DET bandwagon. They ended up finishing behind the Royals of all teams, and the Sox and Twins battled for the divsion until the very end.

With the roster and a manager with no coaching experience, I don't have much expectations with this team. But, I will give them a chance and see what happens.

Another thing to point out, while Kenny Williams should've been fired by now, whenever he focuses on small moves, he is a good GM. When he tries to stroke his ego and make bigger moves, they usually don't work out too well...

SI1020
03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Another thing to point out, while Kenny Williams should've been fired by now, whenever he focuses on small moves, he is a good GM. When he tries to stroke his ego and make bigger moves, they usually don't work out too well... Amen to all that.

Frontman
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Anything is possible.

Zakath
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM

There's plenty to think that the Tigers will win the division handily.

Liking them is a whole different matter. :puking:

Lip Man 1
03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
JDM:

Don't forget 1965 and 1973 in your analysis.

Lip

MarySwiss
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
There have been times where the Sox were supposed to be terrible, and did good (1990, 2000, 2008). On the flip side, whenever there is major hype (1984, 1997, 2003, 2011), they don't do so well. I won't count 2006 as they won 90 games. They were doing well, but faded down the stretch. 2005, I don't think they were expected to be terrible, but certainly no one saw a WS in the future.

I could be wrong, but IIRC, they were projected to finish fourth in the division in 2005. Which is why all my friends tried to talk me out of betting on them to win it all. Happily, I didn't listen. :D:

jdm2662
03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I could be wrong, but IIRC, they were projected to finish fourth in the division in 2005. Which is why all my friends tried to talk me out of betting on them to win it all. Happily, I didn't listen. :D:

My friend and his wife went to spring training that year before heading to Vegas. He thought about putting $100 down. But he thought it would be a waste of money. He didn't like what he saw. Opps.

rcescato
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Not trying to be sarcastic but I'd be amazed if the Sox could just have a winning season...82-83 wins.

Lip

I agree Lip. To many question marks. I would be suprised to see 75+ wins.

AlleghenySoxFan
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
To me it all hinges on starting hot. Everytime we have been to do well we have coem out of the gat slow and never really got back into it. This year more than others we call ill afford a terrible start in April and May. If we do I could see us finishing in last. If we do start well, anything is possible.

TomBradley72
03-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Health of the pitching staff will dictate how the Sox do this year.

On offense, I think at least 2 out of 3 (Dunn/Beckham/Rios) will bounce back this year, De Aza will be an upgrade vs. Pierre, and this may be the year Alexei goes to the next level.

I like our infield defense- Morel/Ramirez/Beckham/Konerko.

But 3/5 of our starters are somewhat "fragile" (Peavy/Humber/Sale) with very little depth if one of them goes down, and it looks like we'll have 2-3 unproven prospects/rookies in the bullpen without a defined closer heading into the season. So that's a real crap shoot- and if a few arms goes down (as they almost always do) we don't really have the organization depth to bring up anything of real quality to offset.

palehozenychicty
03-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Health of the pitching staff will dictate how the Sox do this year.

On offense, I think at least 2 out of 3 (Dunn/Beckham/Rios) will bounce back this year, De Aza will be an upgrade vs. Pierre, and this may be the year Alexei goes to the next level.

I like our infield defense- Morel/Ramirez/Beckham/Konerko.

But 3/5 of our starters are somewhat "fragile" (Peavy/Humber/Sale) with very little depth if one of them goes down, and it looks like we'll have 2-3 unproven prospects/rookies in the bullpen without a defined closer heading into the season. So that's a real crap shoot- and if a few arms goes down (as they almost always do) we don't really have the organization depth to bring up anything of real quality to offset.

My sentiments exactly. Over the years, the team has remained very healthy. But their lack of organizational depth, in my mind, cost them some postseason appearances. It could kill the season this year, if anyone goes down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

seventyseven
03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't see anything past Danks in the rotation that leads me to believe this team will break even.

We could lose 90+ games with Floyd/Peavy/Humber/Sale as our 2-5.

wassagstdu
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM

The Sox' pitching will be below average (too many question marks), defense well below average (too many exclamation points), and even if Dunn hits .240/30/90 the Sox will finish with fewer wins than in 2011.

DonnieDarko
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I hardly call the Sox's infield defense to be below average.

Now, outfield defense, sure, you can make a case for that. But the infield defense is pretty damned solid.

doublem23
03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I hardly call the Sox's infield defense to be below average.

Now, outfield defense, sure, you can make a case for that. But the infield defense is pretty damned solid.

Yeah the IF defense is the only sure thing about this team.

KMcMahon817
03-27-2012, 01:42 PM
I have been pretty optimistic about this bunch since seasons end. I have pretty much avoided WSI all off-season because it has been unbearable to read all the negativity. I guess I don't see the point in it.

I think the SOX will be around .500 if things go much like they last season (ie: Dunn and Rios do indeed suck, Beckham is not a major league player, Danks is a 4 starter, and Peavy spends a large chunk of the season on the DL). But so many things went wrong last year, I just don't see that happeneing again. If Rios and Dunn return to career norms, we get double digit wins out of Peavy, and Beckham shows some life...I think we can contend. A lot of "ifs", sure, but I think it is much more likely that those guys improve on their 2011.

I just can't wait to watch the SOX!

mzh
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
The Sox' pitching will be below average (too many question marks), defense well below average (too many exclamation points), and even if Dunn hits .240/30/90 the Sox will finish with fewer wins than in 2011.
That's it, might as well throw in the towel now. Why bother even watching?

whitem0nkey
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Peavy, on a prediction the Sox will lose 95 games: "It ain't going to happen.":gulp:

spawn
03-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Yep. Probably shouldn't bother going to the games either.

fram40
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
call me crazy, but ...

What went right last year? I don't see how this team isn't better than last year's disaster.

I think they are better than .500. If they can take advantage of a couple of breaks, maybe if they catch a team or two at the right time, I could see this team flirting with 92 wins.

Chez
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Peavy, on a prediction the Sox will lose 95 games: "It ain't going to happen.":gulp:

I'd like to change my previous suggestion for the 2012 White Sox slogan to, "White Sox Baseball -- 95 Losses Ain't Going to Happen."

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Yep. Probably shouldn't bother going to the games either.Because I'm not a frontrunner. I've suffered through some miserable White Sox seasons, but it's still White Sox baseball. Bad White Sox baseball is vastly preferable to no baseball. I'll watch no matter what, and get enjoyment out of each game for itself.

kevingrt
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
call me crazy, but ...

What went right last year? I don't see how this team isn't better than last year's disaster.

I think they are better than .500. If they can take advantage of a couple of breaks, maybe if they catch a team or two at the right time, I could see this team flirting with 92 wins.

Well Humber pitched out of his mind that is the major WOW from last year. But we also got nice production from De Aza and Flowers labeit in brief stints. Sale and Santos were dynamite from the bullpen nearly all season long. Heck Crain, and Thornton after his closer stint were very good. Our bullpen as a whole was outstanding from May thru August. Those are 3-5 things that definitely exceeded projections last year.

So not everything went terrible last year.

spawn
03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Because I'm not a frontrunner. I've suffered through some miserable White Sox seasons, but it's still White Sox baseball. Bad White Sox baseball is vastly preferable to no baseball. I'll watch no matter what, and get enjoyment out of each game for itself.

You know we were being sarcastic, right?

everafan
03-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Thoughts?

I think there's a chance - here are my ST notes.

I arrived on Thursday and went to 3 games, Royals, Dbacks, Brewers and the Sox won all 3. This team did not look nearly as bad as the projections - though as Lou says, Spring Training can be a fooler. We saw some good pitching all around. Dunn looks good, physically and at the plate. Paulie was totally locked in, AJ pudgy but producing, Beckham looks great in the field and ok at the plate, Flowers looked very good at the plate and he threw out a couple base stealers. Escobar looked great all around. No red flags with Alexei, Morel, DeAza. Oh, Frodo is on fire.

The bad - Viciedo and Rios. Viciedo looked awful. Rios wasn't awful by any means, but the same old lackluster performance. He is certainly hitting better, but my intuition is that it's temporary.

Ventura has a very cool demeanor, but he seems to be well respected. Those hoping for a "deer in the headlights" manager will be dissapointed.

On paper, they do not rival the Tigers but I predict this is a .500 team and with a few breaks and a couple career years, who knows? There are 2 WC teams this year. Nobody knows how good a team is until they start playing regular season games.

guillensdisciple
03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Will be interesting with 2 wild cards- coukd mean another team from the east or maybe the sox could sneak it in

palehozenychicty
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Will be interesting with 2 wild cards- coukd mean another team from the east or maybe the sox could sneak it in

The best case scenario for this team would be to get into the mix for that second WC with the Red Sawx, Jays, and probably Indjuns.

MISoxfan
03-28-2012, 12:18 AM
I really think these outcomes are all likely, but I'm sure they won't all occur.

Significant improvement from Dunn, and some improvement from Rios

Some regression from Konerko, De Aza, and Pierzynski

Beckham and Morel become serviceable at the plate, maybe even some upside

Significant more production from Peavy

Hopefully Humber can show a bit of improvement, but I imagine he'll do something between what he did in the second half and the first half and end up with around the same season totals.

Danks and Floyd have basically gotten worse every season since 2008. They should be at their peak right now, and I'd really like to see something from them now.

I'd like to see Alexei have a bigger year at the plate, too. After '08 I was so excited from the way things worked out with TCQ, TCM, Danks, and Floyd. It seemed like we had a young core to build around while keeping the declining yet still producing Buehrle, Dye, Konerko, and Pierzynski. Fastforward 4 years and not one of them has managed to surpass Buehrle or Konerko.

I can see us with 86 wins, with more if Viciedo, Sale, and De Aza really impress.

KMcMahon817
03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I really think these outcomes are all likely, but I'm sure they won't all occur.

Hopefully Humber can show a bit of improvement, but I imagine he'll do something between what he did in the second half and the first half and end up with around the same season totals.

Danks and Floyd have basically gotten worse every season since 2008. They should be at their peak right now, and I'd really like to see something from them now.

I'd like to see Alexei have a bigger year at the plate, too. After '08 I was so excited from the way things worked out with TCQ, TCM, Danks, and Floyd. It seemed like we had a young core to build around while keeping the declining yet still producing Buehrle, Dye, Konerko, and Pierzynski. Fastforward 4 years and not one of them has managed to surpass Buehrle or Konerko.

I can see us with 86 wins, with more if Viciedo, Sale, and De Aza really impress.

Well put. I agree.

TDog
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM

I don't know (really, I would have to be his pitching coach to know) if Humbers poor outings int he second half were due to hitters adjusting to Humber or Humber being less sharp. If it is the latter, he could have a better season in 2012. If it's a combination of the two, he could have a more consistent season, without the strong first half and weaker second half. Overall last season, Humber's numbers weren't much different from Gio Gonzalez' numbers. I think Danks and Floyd should have benefited from experience. With better defense I expect them to be better pitchers. This season will tell if Humber has as well. If Peavy is back to form and sale has some success as a starter, this could be a very effective rotation.

Beckham is such a good defensive second baseman, I don't know if he needs to hit as much as many expect. Hitting at the bottom of the order could help him. His rookie season fell apart when he was moved to the second spot in the batting order. Dunn doesn't even need to have a good season to have a substantially better season than he had in 2011.

It is entirely possible that Dunn's horrendous 2011 will make him a better hitter who could live up to the remainder or his White Sox contract.

It's a long season. I don't expect the Sox to win. I never expect the Sox to win, except with two out in the bottom of the ninth of Game 4 in 2005, and little bit leading up to 2006. But that isn't the same as being pessimistic.

mattcoz
03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Definitely could happen, there always seems to be a team that surprises so why not us? It's not like we're devoid of talent.

Domeshot17
03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/id/7728538/mlb-previewing-american-league-central-teams

Buster Olney picks us to finish last. I guess its why we play the games.

In all honesty, this is just not a good team. Gordon is never going to be an above average offensive 2b. He is nice with the glove, but he is an 8 or 9 hitter. Morel is in the same boat. He is a great defender but might be the worst offensive starter in the AL.

The inability to draft/develop/produce anything substantial from the minors has caught up with us. The only bright side of this year will be seeing if Chris Sale can live up to the hype of when he was drafted.

If EVERYTHING on this team goes right, you might win 86-87 games and compete for the 2nd Wild Card, but I think we are looking at a 75 win team as constructed.

doublem23
03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
If EVERYTHING on this team goes right, you might win 86-87 games and compete for the 2nd Wild Card, but I think we are looking at a 75 win team as constructed.

That's silly, if EVERYTHING goes right the Sox win 95-100 games and win the division walking away. You could probably say that about 29 teams (not you, Houston).

thomas35forever
03-30-2012, 01:48 AM
My friend asked me to contribute my insight to his AL Central preview and here's what I said:

This is the first year in a long time that expectations are universally low. However, if the right guys bounce back from last year, this group could make a run.

So yes, this team can surprise people, but a lot has to go right for it to happen. I'm looking at Rios, Dunn, Beckham and the front end of that rotation.

Bucky F. Dent
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Too many questions:

- will we get bounce backs from Rios, Dunn, Peavy, Beckham

- will we get consistent play from Viciedo and DeAza over a season

- how will Sale and Humber perform as starters over a full season

- how will ????? perform as a closer

Could they contend? Hell, if all those things go right they could win the division. The Tigers have beer-league softball players holding down the corner infield positions.....Adam Dunn could bunt for a single three times a game against that motley defensive crew!

Zisk77
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
- "we will win 60. We will lose 60. Its those other 42 that matter stoney" :D:

Risk
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
My expectations are pretty low, but I don't think that the Toons, Twins and Royals are any less flawed than the Sox. For all the praise about their farm system (and who knows if those prospects will pan out), the Royals still have no starting rotation to speak of and losing Soria hurts bad (but they should hit). The Twins are still bad (even if Morneau and Mauer are healthy) and their rotation is average at best (part of me thinks that the no-hitter from Liriano last year may have been his last hurrah with greatness, Pavano sucks and the rest of the rotation is "meh"). Regarding the Tribe, same thing as the Royals (except for all the up and coming prospects).

I think best case is 85 wins, most likely case is 75 wins.

What I think will happen (the good):

Dunn bounces back (around .240/.380/.580, 30-35 hrs., 100 RBIs);
Konerko regresses a little, but is still very good;
Beckham hits better (.250-ish now that he is batting 8th) with his usual good fielding;
Viciedo explodes for 25 hrs.;
Sale pitches great (14-15 wins);
Flowers improves behind the dish with decent power to spell AJ for 50+ games

What will probably happen (the bad):

Floyd and Danks still mediocre;
Peavy (if healthy) (12-15 wins, near equal amount of losses);
Morel shows flashes but remains inconsistent

What I'm afraid will happen (the ugly):

Rios continues to stink it up both with the stick and in the field;
Viciedo makes fans long for the return of Carlos Lee in LF;
5th starter spot becomes a recurring nightmare every fifth game (not impressed with Stewart or Axelrod)

It seems that the young bullpen arms (Reed, Santiago and Jones) have looked really good this Spring, so I'm somewhat intrigued to see what they can do in the bigs (assuming all three make it).

Risk

hdog1017
03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I think Adam Dunn is going to bounce back. I'm thinking 80 victories.

chisox77
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I have no idea what to expect, but always put hope on the highest shelf. Let the games begin!

ghostface36
04-05-2012, 02:00 AM
i think its possible with walker gone. I think under a new hitting coach bacon will finally live up to his potential morel will be much better offensively this season viciedo could have a big year and i think dunn will at least be a lil under his career averages.
Don Cooper is don cooper he's gonna make chris sale a star, hopefully alexei gets his first gold glove b/c hes easily the best defensive SS in mlb

Sox83Kid
04-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Thoughts?

I think exactly the same way, if the starting pitching stays solid.

TDog
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
i think its possible with walker gone. I think under a new hitting coach bacon will finally live up to his potential morel will be much better offensively this season viciedo could have a big year and i think dunn will at least be a lil under his career averages.
Don Cooper is don cooper he's gonna make chris sale a star, hopefully alexei gets his first gold glove b/c hes easily the best defensive SS in mlb

Greg Walker get a lot of the blame and will get more if hitters have better years than they have in the past, but that frustrations of 2011 will have more of an effect of players working harder in 2012 than a change in hitting coach, at least for Dunn and Rios. Beckham is a young hitter who probably was brought up to the majors too soon and hasn't been able to make adjustments after pitchers around the league adjusted to him late in his rookie season after moving to the second spot in the order. It took Joe Crede a few years of work before his offensive game came together, although, unfortunately for both Crede and the White Sox, his game came together when his healthy back left and he hit free agency.

Konerko developed into a very good hitter under Walker, and it involved a lot of maintenance. Often when you would look in the dugout during games, you would see Konerko talking to Walker. It will be interesting to see if Konerko spends as much time talking with his new hitting coach.

Rikirk
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I be thinkin' Adam Dunn will have a bounceback year, Im im wrong...throw all the tomatoes you want at me, I could care less. Konerko will be Konerko. Kosuke may work out and the rest of the pieces may fall into place and all will be right with the world.

The only thing that worries me is the pitching staff.

Pitching wins ballgames y'know.

Thome25
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Possible? Yes.

Probable? No.

doublem23
04-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I be thinkin' Adam Dunn will have a bounceback year, Im im wrong...throw all the tomatoes you want at me, I could care less. Konerko will be Konerko. Kosuke may work out and the rest of the pieces may fall into place and all will be right with the world.

The only thing that worries me is the pitching staff.

Pitching wins ballgames y'know.

Even if Dunn bounces back and Rios is respectable, I'd still worry about the offense. Just a lot of bad hitters and easy outs in this lineup.

Rikirk
04-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Even if Dunn bounces back and Rios is respectable, I'd still worry about the offense. Just a lot of bad hitters and easy outs in this lineup.

Fair enough, but its my team,...I want to be optomistic. Sure the season may end up mediocre like all the rest, but one can hope right.

I still want to see Dunn have an awesome year.

doublem23
04-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Fair enough, but its my team,...I want to be optomistic. Sure the season may end up mediocre like all the rest, but one can hope right.

I still want to see Dunn have an awesome year.

Oh yeah, it's cool, be as optimistic as you want, I was just commenting that my optimism right now is fueled by the Sox's pitching staff, which I think is above average. Even if Dunn has a huge year, which I cautiously optimistic about, I think the offense is still the weak link.

tony1972
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I had to bring this thread back up. I think I was the only one back in March who thought the Sox would have a good season.

Some of these posts are funny now....

Let me know if anyone wants me to pick their lotto numbers as well...:D:

doublem23
07-09-2012, 11:46 PM
I had to bring this thread back up. I think I was the only one back in March who thought the Sox would have a good season.

We must be reading different threads because there seems to have been a number of posters who agreed with you (unless you have 10-12 different usernames)

balke
07-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Kinda lame and premature. 3 games up at the break - pretty sure I've seen the Twins take that lead from the Sox many times over the past decade. Plus, as stated there are a lot of people besides you who thought it possible.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Kinda lame and premature. 3 games up at the break - pretty sure I've seen the Twins take that lead from the Sox many times over the past decade. Plus, as stated there are a lot of people besides you who thought it possible.

Exactly. Let's see what the second half brings up.

skobabe8
07-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Depends what you mean by contend. I'm gaining confidence, but this ship could sink in the second half again.

thomas35forever
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Well, the guys I mentioned in my post have certainly bounced back and it seems the front end of the rotation has changed. Let's see what they all do in the second half and then we'll see about the playoffs.

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2012, 01:42 AM

Exactly. Let's see what the second half brings up.

Regardless of what the second half holds if you had told me that the White Sox would be nine over .500 and in first place going into the All Star Break there is no way that I would have believed you. I am not convinced that the White Sox are going to make the playoffs but they have certainly exceeded my expectations.

Hitmen77
07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Regardless of what the second half holds if you had told me that the White Sox would be nine over .500 and in first place going into the All Star Break there is no way that I would have believed you. I am not convinced that the White Sox are going to make the playoffs but they have certainly exceeded my expectations.

Agreed.

I'm not making any plans to watch the Sox in post-season quite yet. They were in line for a playoff spot in July 2006 (6 game wild card lead), 2009, and 2010 - and we know how those seasons turned out.

But, that being said, I wouldn't have expected the Sox to be in 1st place going into the all-star break. Kudos to those who thought this team would be a contender. For all I know, they'll pull another "Ozzie-ball" and fall apart in late summer, but I'm enjoying their success right now.

thehawkeroo
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Detroit is too talented not to make a run. I am happy where they're at now, though.

Boondock Saint
07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Detroit is too talented not to make a run. I am happy where they're at now, though.

Not in the pitching staff, they aren't.

kobo
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Not in the pitching staff, they aren't.
Or defensively, either.

LITTLE NELL
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Checking my earlier thread I stated that the Sox had some IFs and if Peavy, Dunn, Rios and Beckham had average years (for them) we would contend to the very end. On another thread I said the Sox would win 85 games and I think I'm doing a lot better than Sports Illustrated.

everafan
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I think there's a chance - here are my ST notes.

I arrived on Thursday and went to 3 games, Royals, Dbacks, Brewers and the Sox won all 3. This team did not look nearly as bad as the projections - though as Lou says, Spring Training can be a fooler. We saw some good pitching all around. Dunn looks good, physically and at the plate. Paulie was totally locked in, AJ pudgy but producing, Beckham looks great in the field and ok at the plate, Flowers looked very good at the plate and he threw out a couple base stealers. Escobar looked great all around. No red flags with Alexei, Morel, DeAza. Oh, Frodo is on fire.

The bad - Viciedo and Rios. Viciedo looked awful. Rios wasn't awful by any means, but the same old lackluster performance. He is certainly hitting better, but my intuition is that it's temporary.

Ventura has a very cool demeanor, but he seems to be well respected. Those hoping for a "deer in the headlights" manager will be dissapointed.

On paper, they do not rival the Tigers but I predict this is a .500 team and with a few breaks and a couple career years, who knows? There are 2 WC teams this year. Nobody knows how good a team is until they start playing regular season games.

I was way too lazy to dig this up, but I got a few things right. The pitching, Dunn, Konerko and Ventura not being overmatched. So glad that the way Rios looked in ST had nothing to do with his in season play. I could have never predicted that every player would improve under Robin, or that the Tigers wouldn't be too competitive, but I'm thankful for it. I think the Tigers will challenge us but ultimately the Sox win the ALC.

central44
07-10-2012, 06:32 PM

I'm not so sure. Fielder, Jackson, and Cabrera are all having outstanding seasons as it is offensively. Verlander has been outstanding pitching. It's hard to see where there's room for significant improvement--we've always known that Detroit had bad pitching and defense and was built around offensive firepower, and that's exactly what we've seen from them. I'm starting to wonder if the Tigers simply aren't as good as the "experts" thought.

My theory is that they looked better than they were last year, because the AL Central competition was so terrible--Cleveland was mediocre and the Sox, the Twins and KC were all terrible.

DeadMoney
07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm not so sure. Fielder, Jackson, and Cabrera are all having outstanding seasons as it is offensively. Verlander has been outstanding pitching. It's hard to see where there's room for significant improvement--we've always known that Detroit had bad pitching and defense and was built around offensive firepower, and that's exactly what we've seen from them. I'm starting to wonder if the Tigers simply aren't as good as the "experts" thought.

My theory is that they looked better than they were last year, because the AL Central competition was so terrible--Cleveland was mediocre and the Sox, the Twins and KC were all terrible.

I would also suggest that their run last year was aided in large part by the fact that they went 35-15 against a weak ALC in the 2nd Half.

JB98
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

It's certainly possible, maybe even probable. I mean, look up and down the Tiger roster and tell me who is underachieving. Maybe Boesch, but he wasn't really an established hitter to begin with.

The other day I heard that Cub-loving dork Ben Finfer on The Score suggesting that everything has gone wrong for the Tigers. Really? Other than the Fister injury, what has gone wrong?

OK, so the Tigers lost their No. 2 starter. So what? The guy who pitched for the Sox on Opening Day hasn't seen the mound since May. Detroit gets no sympathy card from me. I'm not really buying this whole line about things "going wrong" for the Tigers. Just maybe they are what their record says they are.

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
It's certainly possible, maybe even probable. I mean, look up and down the Tiger roster and tell me who is underachieving. Maybe Boesch, but he wasn't really an established hitter to begin with.

The other day I heard that Cub-loving dork Ben Finfer on The Score suggesting that everything has gone wrong for the Tigers. Really? Other than the Fister injury, what has gone wrong?

OK, so the Tigers lost their No. 2 starter. So what? The guy who pitched for the Sox on Opening Day hasn't seen the mound since May. Detroit gets no sympathy card from me. I'm not really buying this whole line about things "going wrong" for the Tigers. Just maybe they are what their record says they are.

I suppose you could argue that Valverde is underachieving but he had a horseshoe last year because it seemed like he was always in trouble and managed to work his way out of it.

JB98
07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I suppose you could argue that Valverde is underachieving but he had a horseshoe last year because it seemed like he was always in trouble and managed to work his way out of it.

Yeah, his ERA is worse than his career norm. But even still, he's blown only three saves and the Tigers recovered to win two of those games. The only exception being that game against the Sox where Dunn lit his ass up deep in the ninth.

PalehosePlanet
07-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Don't forget Jhonny Peralta also had a career year last year and is back to normal now. Same for Fister whose ERA is over 5 in his 10 starts since coming off the DL.

Brian26
07-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Whoever bumped this thread is playing Russian Roulette with the baseball gods. I've seen enough 2nd half swoons to know better than to bump this kind of discussion at the All-Star Break. I suggest tabling this until after the World Series parade.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah, his ERA is worse than his career norm. But even still, he's blown only three saves and the Tigers recovered to win two of those games. The only exception being that game against the Sox where Dunn lit his ass up deep in the ninth.

Has that ball even landed yet? My god, Dunn just annihilated that ball. Even better it was off that assclown Valverde.

Whoever bumped this thread is playing Russian Roulette with the baseball gods. I've seen enough 2nd half swoons to know better than to bump this kind of discussion at the All-Star Break. I suggest tabling this until after the World Series parade.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is saying they're going to win the World Series or anything. Just that everyone who was predicting that the Sox were going to be the worst in the AL and that the team would be completely destroyed by the end of April were a little wrong.

Sure, a 3-game lead at the break is nice, but it's by no means a stranglehold on a playoff spot. But for now, this team is miles ahead where a lot of people said they were.

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

To be fair, I don't think anyone is saying they're going to win the World Series or anything. Just that everyone who was predicting that the Sox were going to be the worst in the AL and that the team would be completely destroyed by the end of April were a little wrong.

Sure, a 3-game lead at the break is nice, but it's by no means a stranglehold on a playoff spot. But for now, this team is miles ahead where a lot of people said they were.

And honestly even if they don't make the playoffs it's still been a far better year than I certainly would have imagined.

Mingo
07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
The cool thing is the team is coming together in Spring Training - not something you saw very often during Ozzie's tenure.

The starting pitching is top 5 in the AL - A new wildcard slot is availble this year - so I think the Sox will contend for a playoff spot.

I was on the bandwagon early.