PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter, Michael Cuddyer admit Twins were scared of Yankees in playoffs

PKalltheway
03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Confirming the obvious here:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/17995079/hunter-cuddyer-admit-twins-were-psyched-out-by-yankees

thomas35forever
03-24-2012, 01:21 AM
How soon before we hear our own former players admitting the same thing regarding the Twins over the past decade?

Foulke You
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
How soon before we hear our own former players admitting the same thing regarding the Twins over the past decade?
Our players were scared of the Metrodome, not the Twins.

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM

The White Sox looked pretty scared of the Twins in 2010 and 2011 (until the second half at least).

dwitt76
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
The White Sox looked pretty scared of the Twins in 2010 and 2011 (until the second half at least).

That 2010 Thome walk-off game was one of the worst losses in my life as a white sox fan. Still haunts me :whiner:

DonnieDarko
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
That 2010 Thome walk-off game was one of the worst losses in my life as a white sox fan. Still haunts me :whiner:

You mean the one off of Thornton? Yeah, that one was pretty bad. I still remember the volume and depth of despair that eminated from my wail as I saw that ball sail out of the park down the right field line. :(

jdm2662
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM

The 5-13 record vs Twins in 2010 and the 1-7 record in 2011 before the entire Twins team went on the DL suggest otherwise.

Irishsox1
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I say it started late in 2000 when the Sox lost to the Twins but won the division on that day. From that moment on the Twins were never the same.

Foulke You
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
The 5-13 record vs Twins in 2010 and the 1-7 record in 2011 before the entire Twins team went on the DL suggest otherwise.
You guys are cherry picking one season (2010) probably because it is fresher in your minds. (I don't even count 2011 since neither team was really in the race in the second half and the Sox were losing to everyone in April of last year, not just the Twins). Looking at the big picture of our rivalry with the Twins dating back to 2001, the bulk of the Sox ineptitude against Minnesota happened in the Dome, not at The Cell. The Twins/Yanks comparison also isn't 100% accurate since the Sox did manage to completely overcome the Twins in 2005 and in 2008. The Twins never overcame the Yanks in the many seasons they matched up with them.

samurai_sox
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm really hoping that this entire "Sox fearing the Twins" thing left town with Ozzie and that Robin won't put up with that crap.

GoGoCrede
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Postgame thread for that one was epic, though.

DumpJerry
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
For me, Tito Landrum will always have that title.:angry::angry::angry::whiner::whiner:

Foulke You
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
For me, Tito Landrum will always have that title.:angry::angry::angry::whiner::whiner:
I remember Tito Landrum but I was too young for it to impact me as a fan. It's not one specific game for me but the 3 game sweep at the Metrodome in late September 2003 that pretty much sealed our fate was the about the worst I felt as a Sox fan. Watching the Cubs beat the lowly Pirates and Reds about 10 times right after that series and win the NL Central just poured salt on the wounds. The 2003 Sox team could have been very dangerous in the playoffs had they gotten in and I was infuriated that they never got the chance because they were better than the Twins that year but found a way to beat themselves as usual. Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle would have been a problem for any opponent in a playoff series. Why Jerry Manuel decided to start a flu ridden Esteban Loaiza in the first game of that series just blew my mind. He was feverish and sweating before he threw the first pitch. It set the tone for the whole series.

RKMeibalane
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I remember Tito Landrum but I was too young for it to impact me as a fan. It's not one specific game for me but the 3 game sweep at the Metrodome in late September 2003 that pretty much sealed our fate was the about the worst I felt as a Sox fan. Watching the Cubs beat the lowly Pirates and Reds about 10 times right after that series and win the NL Central just poured salt on the wounds. The 2003 Sox team could have been very dangerous in the playoffs had they gotten in and I was infuriated that they never got the chance because they were better than the Twins that year but found a way to beat themselves as usual. Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle would have been a problem for any opponent in a playoff series. Why Jerry Manuel decided to start a flu ridden Esteban Loaiza in the first game of that series just blew my mind. He was feverish and sweating before he threw the first pitch. It set the tone for the whole series.

Ah, yes.

The 2003 season.

So many moments to choose from...

:jerry

"In the first half, everybody plays. The second half is the time for winning."

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

"Frankly, I think it's (making his scheduled Yankee Stadium start) a bigger deal for Buehrle than it is for us."

"Anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't understand baseball."

WhiteSoxOnly
03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm really hoping that this entire "Sox fearing the Twins" thing left town with Ozzie and that Robin won't put up with that crap.

Yes ! no more "Gardy and his Piranhas" play the game the right way bull****.
Go out there to kick their ass and don't give an inch. If you get beat no need to tell 'em how wonderful they are. First time they drill Paulie make sure the first
pitch to Mauer is in the middle of his back. There, i'm ready for baseball.

StillMissOzzie
03-26-2012, 09:35 PM

The 1983 team will always hold a special place in my heart, too. It was the first time I really thought the Sox had a chance to win it all. Hoyt would have won a game 5 had they ever got there.

SMO
:angry::whiner::gulp:

LongLiveFisk
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
The 2003 Sox team could have been very dangerous in the playoffs had they gotten in and I was infuriated that they never got the chance because they were better than the Twins that year but found a way to beat themselves as usual.

It definitely didn't help that PK was in deep sleep mode for a huge chunk of that season.

RKMeibalane
03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
It definitely didn't help that PK was in deep sleep mode for a huge chunk of that season.

Yet Manuel kept trotting him out there day after day, while Brian Daubach wasted away on the Sox bench, despite the fact that he could have given the Sox comparable production for much less cost.

And, lest we forget, Konerko's continued presence in the lineup was one of the many things that kept Frank Thomas chained to DH-duty, rather than standing next to the first base bag, as he had requested to do before an August road trip.

thomas35forever
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Also the worst I've felt as a Sox fan. It was in the middle of that season when I started following the team passionately, not just casually. The '08 sweep in the Dome almost usurped the title, but fortunately, the Blackout Game made sure it wouldn't happen. I don't even think I realized the Cubs had a chance to go to the playoffs until the day they clinched. I was so downtrodden by that series I could have cared less what the North Siders were doing at that point.

LongLiveFisk
03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Yet Manuel kept trotting him out there day after day, while Brian Daubach wasted away on the Sox bench, despite the fact that he could have given the Sox comparable production for much less cost.

And, lest we forget, Konerko's continued presence in the lineup was one of the many things that kept Frank Thomas chained to DH-duty, rather than standing next to the first base bag, as he had requested to do before an August road trip.

True. People like to rip Daubach and while he was hardly the next Ted Williams, there was a stretch during that season that he was hitting the hell out of the ball. And everytime during his hot streak that he was due up in a situation where it looked like you couldn't screw it up if you tried (bases loaded nobody out - you have to get at least 1 RBI, right?), Manuel had PK pinch hit for him and PK did nothing.

But hey, in the whole grand scheme of things, PK is the man. I will forgive him for 2003, as he helped give us 2005. :D:

MISoxfan
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Not that is 2003 was excusable in anyway, but didn't he turn it on in the second half? I seem to remember that.

thomas35forever
03-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Not that is 2003 was excusable in anyway, but didn't he turn it on in the second half? I seem to remember that.
Yep. Read for yourself:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/3747/year/2003/paul-konerko