PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks arrested for DUI, hit-and-run

aryzner
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/bobby-jenks-was-arrested-for-dui-and-hit-and-run-at-4am-this-morning/

Rocky Soprano
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I hope he gets the help he needs.

TheOldRoman
03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey, but at least he looks thinner in the mugshot, amirite?

It's very sad, especially since Bobby had alcohol demons before coming to the White Sox. At least he didn't hit and injure other people. I hope he can overcome this. It seems to happen a lot to guys with past problems who have to sit out with injuries for long periods of time.

GlassSox
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope he gets the help he needs.

I like Bobby and I too hope that he gets help, alcohol can be so destructive to some people. :(:

bigsoxfan420
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Uh-oh. Sounds like he fell off the wagon. Hopefully he gets his **** together.

GoGoCrede
03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh, YIKES. Hope he recovers for the sake of his family.

ZombieRob
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Hell with Bobby hope the person he hit is ok.

doublem23
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Where are you getting that from? Nothing in the blog post or charging report from the sherriff to suggest he hit somebody.

TomBradley72
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM

He hit another car in a parking lot not a person.

Why is it so hard for millionaires (LaRussa, Ditka, Jenks, etc) to just call a taxi or a car service?

bridgeportcopper
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I heard he asked his buddy Stevie Janowski to take the wheel for him because he has priors.

TheOldRoman
03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
He hit another car in a parking lot not a person.

Why is it so hard for millionaires (LaRussa, Ditka, Jenks, etc) to just call a taxi or a car service?Ego. "I'm rich, successful guy. I can do what I want."

thomas35forever
03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Yikes. He better get help before something really bad happens to him.

mrfourni
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Yikes. He better get help before something really bad happens to him.

More detailed article

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7727477/2012-spring-training-bobby-jenks-arrested-charges-driving-influence

downstairs
03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Why is it so hard for millionaires (LaRussa, Ditka, Jenks, etc) to just call a taxi or a car service?

I've said this for years. I'm far from being a millionare. Kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum since the economy has hit me hard.

When I drink, I either:

Drink at home
Walk, bike, or cab to the bar
Have my friend who does not drink but still enjoys bars drive me.

No exceptions.

BNLSox
03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I heard he asked his buddy Stevie Janowski to take the wheel for him because he has priors.

Can't let this slide by without getting some recognition. Nice season 1 call out.

Sad that Kenny Powers and Bobby Jenks have so much in common.

spawn
03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I echo those in saying I hope he gets some help. I think he needs it.

TDog
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM

It isn't just millionaires/celebrities, of course, but you would think that people who so obviously could afford to call for backup would do so.

One answer might involve diminished capacity, with alcohol affecting judgment on such things, although laws make it clear that diminished capacity due to voluntary intoxication is not a valid defense for driving while intoxicated.

The Immigrant
03-23-2012, 05:17 PM

That was good.

dickallen15
03-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I read that he blew a .000, so apparently he wasn't drinking, but most likely under the influence of prescription meds. Hopefully the guy doesn't have a problem with those, but it is pretty common.

doublem23
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I read that he blew a .000, so apparently he wasn't drinking, but most likely under the influence of prescription meds. Hopefully the guy doesn't have a problem with those, but it is pretty common.

Yeah the ESPN story says he was on muscle relaxers.

all*star quentin
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Come on, Bobby!! Why are you driving while on medication?? You probably did more damage to your back, when you not only hit one car but two. :angry:

PeteWard
03-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Update from Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5895995/cops-bobby-jenks-said-he-smashed-into-a-car-in-a-strip-club-parking-lot-and-had-to-get-out-of-there

He admits to being on the muscle relaxants and all but admits he mixed booze in.

The DUI part aside, it really is nobody else's business if someone, married or single, goes to strip bars.

gobears1987
03-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Update from Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5895995/cops-bobby-jenks-said-he-smashed-into-a-car-in-a-strip-club-parking-lot-and-had-to-get-out-of-there

He admits to being on the muscle relaxants and all but admits he mixed booze in.

The DUI part aside, it really is nobody else's business if someone, married or single, goes to strip bars.

It may not be our business, but it's incredibly stupid for someone who has a problem to put himself into that situation. It's just asking for trouble. If he was out with friends, then he really needs to consider getting new friends. Any real friend would not let him get into that situation.

Bobby needs help and I hope this forces him to get the help he needs. I did meet him once when he was with the Sox and he was a really nice guy. I would hate to see him destroy himself.

TDog
03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
It may not be our business, but it's incredibly stupid for someone who has a problem to put himself into that situation. It's just asking for trouble. If he was out with friends, then he really needs to consider getting new friends. Any real friend would not let him get into that situation. ..

In one sense it's none of anybody's business, but in another it is. If you're an athlete, you're really not doing anything significant. Your job is performing for the pleasure of the public, and you have to have people that are supporting you. If you are morally reprehensible to many in the public, they have reason not to support you, and there are many who believe that keeping such thing a secret is being dishonest. In baseball or a team sport, it may not be as important because people will cheer for the team as long as the perception of the team, in some cases the sport itself, can overcome the bad perception of one or more of its players. In individual sports, many people are mystified how anyone would cheer for or buy any product endorsed by Tiger Woods, for example, since he was outed as being such a lousy excuse for a human being. You don't have the excuse for cheering for him because he is helping your team.

If you make a living as a celebrity, performer or athlete, you leave yourself open for people making the way you conduct yourself in public to be their business. If you lead your life in ways that others might have problems with, you had better keep a low profile because the public's approval of your is part of the deal.

Frontman
03-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Very well said, TDog; but I want to add to it a little.

You can be a fan of what a person does "between the lines/on the field/in competition/entertainment" but not agree, or even like, what they do away from their profession.

Tiger is a great example. I find myself still a Tiger Woods fan, because he's been an incredible athlete to watch. I also hope he returns to being competitive, as its good for the sport.

I find what he did in his personal life disgusting; but I also don't judge him or his value as an athlete on that. It's not my place to judge him on that, nor is it to take away from his success on the course, nor does it demean or belittle the amount of people he's helped through his various charities.

The man slept around, big time.

I've said numerous times Tiger's mistake was getting married in the first place. Same with A-Rod, and every other celebrity who cheats on their spouse. Celebrity, and the attention it brings, makes it hard to have what us mere mortals have. Of course Tiger could get a ton of women, he's TIGER FREAKIN' WOODS! As someone once said, Tiger is seeing more ass than a toilet seat!

Nobody really makes a stink that Derek Jeter and his sex life, because he never got married. Heck, he and George Steinbrenner did a very good job of turning that into a marketing ploy for Visa!

Is it right? No. But is it truthful? Yes. We don't think twice about celebrities leading questionable lives, until they make it onto the tabloids.

Bobby isn't the only MLB player to get a DUI this year. Sadly, I'm sure there will be others.

TDog
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Very well said, TDog; but I want to add to it a little.

You can be a fan of what a person does "between the lines/on the field/in competition/entertainment" but not agree, or even like, what they do away from their profession.

Tiger is a great example. I find myself still a Tiger Woods fan, because he's been an incredible athlete to watch. I also hope he returns to being competitive, as its good for the sport.

I find what he did in his personal life disgusting; but I also don't judge him or his value as an athlete on that. It's not my place to judge him on that, nor is it to take away from his success on the course, nor does it demean or belittle the amount of people he's helped through his various charities.

The man slept around, big time.

I've said numerous times Tiger's mistake was getting married in the first place. Same with A-Rod, and every other celebrity who cheats on their spouse. Celebrity, and the attention it brings, makes it hard to have what us mere mortals have. Of course Tiger could get a ton of women, he's TIGER FREAKIN' WOODS! As someone once said, Tiger is seeing more ass than a toilet seat!

Nobody really makes a stink that Derek Jeter and his sex life, because he never got married. Heck, he and George Steinbrenner did a very good job of turning that into a marketing ploy for Visa!

Is it right? No. But is it truthful? Yes. We don't think twice about celebrities leading questionable lives, until they make it onto the tabloids.

Bobby isn't the only MLB player to get a DUI this year. Sadly, I'm sure there will be others.

Obviously we disagree about Tiger Woods, and I know there is a split among people in the general public. But I don't root for people because they are good. Sometimes I root against baseball players because they are very good but are jerks. It is my understanding that people who follow golf cheer for golfers who are charismatic, and the ones who are both charismatic and the best achievers in the game have the biggest following. In Tiger Woods' case, he was promoted as a role model and seems to have manipulated his image, and the image was a fantasy.

Maybe the same could be said for Micheal Jordan to a degree, but Michael Jordan played for the Bulls and even wore White Sox pinstripes.

I don't see how anyone but a Yankees fan could root for Derek Jeter, and unless Tiger Woods is playing for my favorite team, the better he is, the more I dislike him.

Noneck
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Obviously we disagree about Tiger Woods, and I know there is a split among people in the general public. But I don't root for people because they are good. Sometimes I root against baseball players because they are very good but are jerks. It is my understanding that people who follow golf cheer for golfers who are charismatic, and the ones who are both charismatic and the best achievers in the game have the biggest following. In Tiger Woods' case, he was promoted as a role model and seems to have manipulated his image, and the image was a fantasy.

Maybe the same could be said for Micheal Jordan to a degree, but Michael Jordan played for the Bulls and even wore White Sox pinstripes.

I don't see how anyone but a Yankees fan could root for Derek Jeter, and unless Tiger Woods is playing for my favorite team, the better he is, the more I dislike him.

Agree on Jordan and Woods, its not what they did outside of their game but the role model image they took on and were marketed as before the real person was seen by the public. I dont like Jeter but its basically what you see is what you get with him.

Frontman
03-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Ironically, I can point out a reason I like Jeter, even though I'm not a fan of the Yankees.

On the very same night Jordan was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Derek Jeter surpassed Lou Gehrig as the Yankees all time hit leader. At the same time Jordan was dissing his high school coach; Jeter hit a single. The crowd, the Yankees and Orioles all stopped to acknowledge the moment, as Jeter kept trying to wave his team mates back into the dugout and keep the game going. (I know this because I was flipping back and forth from the Hall of Fame coverage and ESPN to see Jeter's hit.)

I found it ironic, and sad in a way; that here is Jordan, a player the world absolutely adored, being such an ass while Jeter, playing for a team that is pretty much despised outside of New York City playing the game the way it should be played.

Hard to say which one I would say would be a role model for a kid to look up to; but again, that was the very point of Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" commercial now, wasn't it?