PDA

View Full Version : It's "Officially" On

Lip Man 1
03-22-2012, 06:18 PM
The Dick Allen celebration / symposium / golf tournament is now on. The White Sox and the Chicago Baseball Museum announced this today:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4747279391655693&pid=1.4

Dick Allen, 1972 White Sox to Be Honored at CBM Fundraising Dinner

CHICAGO – Forty years after Dick Allen and the 1972 Chicago White Sox breathed much-needed life into the franchise in an unforgettable summer, the Chicago Baseball Museum will pay tribute to one of the most significant teams in local baseball history.

On Monday, June 25, the museum will host a fundraising dinner in honor of Allen and the rest of the '72 team at U.S. Cellular Field. The festivities will begin at 6 p.m. at the Stadium Club.

For information about tickets and sponsorship packages, visit Chicagobaseballmuseum.org. The Chicago Baseball Museum and Jerome Holtzman Library and Research Center is a 501(c)3 charitable organization, and any contributions are tax-deductible.

In conjunction with the White Sox, Allen also will throw out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the June 24 game against the Milwaukee Brewers. Throughout the season, the White Sox will wear red, pin-striped throwback uniforms in honor of the 1972 team at Sunday home games, and replicas of the popular jerseys will distributed to the first 10,000 fans 13 and under at the 1:10 p.m. contest.

“It was the best time of my baseball career,” Allen said of his three seasons in a Chicago uniform. “I still remember my White Sox teammates and our fans well. I appreciate the efforts of the Chicago Baseball Museum and look forward to spend time with so many great people again.”

In addition to Allen, the 1972 American League Most Valuable Player, longtime White Sox executive Roland Hemond will be among the dignitaries in attendance.

“Whenever I speak with White Sox fans, it doesn't take long before one of them mentions the 1972 team,” said Hemond, who was selected Executive of the Year that season. “No one left a greater impression than Dick Allen with his clutch hits and long home runs. Along with Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood, manager Chuck Tanner and others, he turned many people into White Sox fans forever.”

After his retirement as a player in 1977, Allen had been a reluctant hero. His last public appearance locally took place at SoxFest prior to the 2000 season.

In the last three years, Dr. David Fletcher urged Allen to step forward and be recognized for his many contributions to the franchise and the city. Earlier this year, the seven-time All-Star agreed to be part of the tribute to one of the most important Chicago teams in the modern era.

“Needless to say, our time and energy proved to be well worth it,” said Fletcher, museum founder and president. “The Chicago Baseball Museum has been adamant that the 1972 White Sox team receive its due before long. As much as any one person, Dick Allen was responsible for a turnaround at a crucial point in franchise history. This promises to be one of the must-see baseball events of the year, and it wouldn't have been complete without him.”

In 1970, the White Sox finished last in victories and home attendance in the major leagues. The steep decline prompted talk of a franchise relocation in the near future.

Shortly after Allen was acquired in a trade in December, 1971, however, the team became a division contender.

The strike-shortened 1972 season saw the White Sox finish second behind the eventual World Series champion Oakland Athletics in the West Division race. Their 87-67 record also ranked second among A.L. clubs. The South Siders attracted almost 1.2-million fans at Comiskey Park, more than twice their total of two years earlier.

As I understand it, Allen will be at U.S. Cellular Field on the 24th, there will be a golf tournament on the morning of the 25th, a luncheon that afternoon and then the celebratory dinner / symposium on Allen, the 1972 White Sox and the historical impact of that year, that evening at the Stadium Club at U.S. Cellular Field.

I'll be co-hosting that event along with Richard Roeper (hopefully he can make it...he has been asked).

The White Sox are trying to get as many of his former teammates as possible to attend this, although any and all former White Sox players are invited.

For me this is a once in a lifetime experience. I lived at Comiskey in 72 and was there for the famous "Taco Game" walk-off home run and was 10 feet away from where Allen's blast into the center field seats below the scoreboard landed. It was an incredible summer and this will be an incredible few days.

If any Sox fans want to participate, feel free to contact Dr. Fletcher.

Roland Hemond will be a guest Friday night during the Sox / Arizona telecast and will talk about the events that are going to take place. I've been told Allen will bring his 72 MVP Award with him and that Roland is supposed to bring his Executive of the Year Award.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
This is awesome. Kudos to all who are making it happen.

Falstaff
03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
This is awesome. Kudos to all who are making it happen.

I am hoping Cy Acosta will be a part of the fun.
Maybe somebody can send him a plane ticket if need be.
Cy Acosta was a huge kingpin to '72 success, and my role model.

chisox77
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Dick Allen may have been the most talented ballplayer to wear a White Sox uniform (even considering Joe Jackson and Frank Thomas). He used a big bat, almost like swinging a telephone pole. But he also had such quickness in the hands and wrist, where there was also incredible strength. I remember that time quite well, and it is good that that 1972 season is being remembered and marked as significant for the franchise.

TommyJohn
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
You know what would be fun? if the White Sox are able to scrape together highlights from Allen's time in Chicago (I know some footage exists) and showed them accompanied by the theme from "The Natural."

Lip Man 1
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I know that I have sent a bunch of footage both audio and video to Dr. Fletcher to pass along to Dick.

It includes the entire Yankee broadcast of the famous Taco Game from June 4, 1972. I also sent the WFLD-TV video of Dick's two inside the park home runs at Minnesota and Harry Caray's call of Dick's bleacher shot.

I let the Sox know this material is available if they wish me to send them a copy although I suspect they have most of it.

I'm sure they'll have some sort of video tribute to Dick either at the park or at the dinner celebration.

Lip

Jerko
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Cool, but I must admit at first I thought the thread title was our new slogan.