PDA

View Full Version : MJ or Versatility

Soxheads
07-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Which catcher do you want to start next year, if these were your only choices?

Daver
07-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Miguel Olivio.

Soxheads
07-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by daver

Miguel Olivio.

:KW

"I'll make sure that dosen't happen."

hsc1
07-21-2002, 11:03 PM
im with daver on this one BRING ON MIGUEL.... i think with sandys help miguel will be a great catcher up here for us... hes already proven down in the minors he is defensively ready.... and like just about all of the minor hitters he does have the patients problem, which i believe will work itsself out up here as well.....bring him on.....

Soxheads
07-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by hsc1
im with daver on this one BRING ON MIGUEL.... i think with sandys help miguel will be a great catcher up here for us... hes already proven down in the minors he is defensively ready.... and like just about all of the minor hitters he does have the patients problem, which i believe will work itsself out up here as well.....bring him on.....

But Sandy probably won't be here next year.

hsc1
07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
hes here now bring up miguel.. what can it hurt right?????

Chisox_cali
07-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Yeah I'm down with Miggy-O. Didn't he show that he had a CANNON in ST? Or was that the other catcher that we traded recently that had the Cannon.

MarkEdward
07-21-2002, 11:16 PM
I agree on Olivo for next year. MJ will make a cheap, reliable back-up, though.

Daver
07-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Yeah I'm down with Miggy-O. Didn't he show that he had a CANNON in ST? Or was that the other catcher that we traded recently that had the Cannon.

Quintero had the cannon,but that was all he had.

idseer
07-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

interesting. 10 replies so far and no one has answered your question. :?:

well, let me amend that. the poll does show votes for both. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-21-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by idseer

interesting. 10 replies so far and no one has answered your question. :?:

Indeed. The grass is always greener...

Not withstanding today's troubles, Mark Johnson deserves a lot more respect than anybody in the Sox organization has shown him these past two years.

His salary is low, especially given his experience level. He is above-average defensively, bats left-handed, and is completely irreplacable because the Sox are WAY TOO CHEAP to go out and get anybody better with M.L. catching experience. One thing the 2003 Sox WON'T NEED, is more inexperienced ballplayers--especially behind the plate catching our green pitching staff.

Sandy Alomar is done. He ought to retire. If you want a back up for MJ, bring up Olivo or someone from the minors. However, they are strictly back up material.

Josh Paul sucks. Don't even think about it.

TornLabrum
07-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by daver

Quintero had the cannon,but that was all he had.

What impressed me when I saw Quintero catch a couple of times in Burlington (besides the cannon) was his ability to handle pitchers. They screwed up and he was right in their face. It's too bad my 83-year-old mother could hit better than Humberto.

Daver
07-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

What impressed me when I saw Quintero catch a couple of times in Burlington (besides the cannon) was his ability to handle pitchers. They screwed up and he was right in their face. It's too bad my 83-year-old mother could hit better than Humberto.

Olivio is the same way,but he can bat his own weight.

LongDistanceFan
07-22-2002, 12:35 AM
with or without the cork? :D:

Soxheads
07-22-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Indeed. The grass is always greener...

Not withstanding today's troubles, Mark Johnson deserves a lot more respect than anybody in the Sox organization has shown him these past two years.

His salary is low, especially given his experience level. He is above-average defensively, bats left-handed, and is completely irreplacable because the Sox are WAY TOO CHEAP to go out and get anybody better with M.L. catching experience. One thing the 2003 Sox WON'T NEED, is more inexperienced ballplayers--especially behind the plate catching our green pitching staff.

Sandy Alomar is done. He ought to retire. If you want a back up for MJ, bring up Olivo or someone from the minors. However, they are strictly back up material.

Josh Paul sucks. Don't even think about it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think Josh Paul should stay in the minors. I feel like I'm one of the few that think the job should be all MJ's.

TheBigHurt
07-22-2002, 02:56 AM
give it to paul