PDA

View Full Version : Yoenis Cespedes is Oakland's Opening Day CF

doublem23
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/03/19/yoenis-cespedes-will-be-in-center-coco-crisp-in-left-in-japan/

TDog
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/03/19/yoenis-cespedes-will-be-in-center-coco-crisp-in-left-in-japan/

I'm not surprised. I think a lot of A's fans expected this. It also wouldn't surprise me if the A's trade Crisp.

Oakland's home stadium can be uncomfortably cold for players, especially for April and May night games, and there are aspects that are unforgiving to hitters. I wonder if Cespedes will have the same sort of offensive adjustment issues Alexei Ramirez had when he came north with the White Sox during his rookie season.

balke
03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
It also wouldn't surprise me if the A's trade Crisp.

Past prime. Kenny loved him but never got him. Can't be far away. I can't see him starting on any team, am I wrong?

TDog
03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Past prime. Kenny loved him but never got him. Can't be far away. I can't see him starting on any team, am I wrong?

I think Crisp's contract would prevent him coming to the White Sox, especially with three years left on it. But I do see Beane trying to dump Crisp's contract rather than simply dumping Crisp as a player.

I don't know if Beane will be able to send Crisp anywhere preseason, but there may be teams that become interested in Crisp midseason.

It isn't as if the A's have any interest in contending. Predicting the moves of Billy Beane is like predicting the weather three months in advance. This is a man who once traded Andre Ethier to get Milton Bradley.

DumpJerry
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
A week or so ago, there was an international scout on The Score who was talking about Cespedes.

He said he is able to scout Cuban players when they play in international tournaments outside of Cuba. However, when Cespedes went to his first international tournament which was in The Netherlands, he defected before the first game. The scouts never actually saw him play, so everything that we're being sold about him is mostly speculation.

doublem23
03-21-2012, 05:14 AM
A week or so ago, there was an international scout on The Score who was talking about Cespedes.

He said he is able to scout Cuban players when they play in international tournaments outside of Cuba. However, when Cespedes went to his first international tournament which was in The Netherlands, he defected before the first game. The scouts never actually saw him play, so everything that we're being sold about him is mostly speculation.

What? Cespedes had been on the Cuban national team since 2007, he played in something like 4-5 international tournaments before defecting.

DumpJerry
03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
What? Cespedes had been on the Cuban national team since 2007, he played in something like 4-5 international tournaments before defecting.
Were those tournaments in Cuba or somewhere where American scouts can actually go see him?

Moses_Scurry
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Maybe the scout is incompetent at his job.

doublem23
03-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Were those tournaments in Cuba or somewhere where American scouts can actually go see him?

He's been all over the place, most notably, the Pan-American Games in 2007 and the World Baseball Classic in 2009.

Either the scout must have confused Cespedes with someone else or you misheard the radio; he also didn't defect in the Netherlands, he did in the Dominican Republic last summer.

Maybe the scout is incompetent at his job.

Was he a White Sox scout? That would probably explain it.

DumpJerry
03-21-2012, 02:56 PM
He's been all over the place, most notably, the Pan-American Games in 2007 and the World Baseball Classic in 2009.

Either the scout must have confused Cespedes with someone else or you misheard the radio; he also didn't defect in the Netherlands, he did in the Dominican Republic last summer.

Was he a White Sox scout? That would probably explain it.
I don't remember who he works for, but it was not the Sox or Cubs. I'm just reporting what he said since I never had a chance to scout the kid myself.....

doublem23
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't remember who he works for, but it was not the Sox or Cubs. I'm just reporting what he said since I never had a chance to scout the kid myself.....

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding because basically every fact you reported was incorrect.

DumpJerry
03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding because basically every fact you reported was incorrect.
Perhaps the guy was talking about his experiences in trying to scout Cepedes. He said he never had a chance to see Cepedes play because he defected before the first game could be played in the Netherlands. Like most Cuban players who defect, he wound up in D.R. Did he fly there from Amsterdam right after defecting? I don't know. I'm just the messenger, ferchristsakes......

TheVulture
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
He said he never had a chance to see Cepedes play because he defected before the first game could be played in the Netherlands.

Maybe the scout was talking about Gerardo Concepcion. The Cubs signed him in February after he defected in Netherlands after his rookie season in the Cuban League.

DumpJerry
03-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Maybe the scout was talking about Gerardo Concepcion. The Cubs signed him in February after he defected in Netherlands after his rookie season in the Cuban League.
Hmmmmm....well it would be just like Theo to do something stupid like that (signing a kid nobody has had a good look at).

Maybe I'm thinking Cepedes because the segment was a day or so after the A's signed him.