PDA

View Full Version : Sale's Performance Today (A Positive Thread)

BRDSR
03-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Not a lot of positivity on the boards lately, nor is much appropriate, but I thought I'd throw in a little regarding Sale's performance today. Obviously the numbers were good: 6IP, 0ER, 2H, 6K, 0BB. But it wasn't just the numbers; anyone can luck into a 6 shutout innings during spring training. Sale actually looked comfortable, looked to be in command. I was especially impressed by the way he used his offspeed stuff on counts like 1-2 and 2-2. He picked up four or five strikeouts throwing offspeed stuff to right handers and when he wasn't striking people out he was getting some pretty weak fly balls.

I saw him on TV when he faced the Cubs on March 9th and then saw him today at the park. His performances were night and day...hopefully shades of his capabilities as a full-time starter.

balke
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty down on the team after last year - but still pretty high and optimistic about the pitching. Bitter because Buehrle is my favorite player... but optimistic.

Sale, Stewart, Reed, and some new guys on the squad should be fun to watch. Maybe Peavy can bounce back to 95% or so strength-wise... which would mean he'd be a heck of a pitcher.

Tragg
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
I didn't think that Sale was that bad against the Angels in his prior start, despite the numbers. He missed a lot of pitches but many of hits allowed were ground balls. Yes, he gave up one to Albert, but ....

SoxSpeed22
03-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Hopefully the young guys can give us something to look forward to. This year won't have such a toxic environment, so that the young guys can actually improve. Sale's consistency might be an issue this season, but he's worth watching.

ChiSoxGal85
03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Sale and Peavy both looked very good this week. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue with the rest of pitching staff and carry over to the offense as well.

Falstaff
03-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Not a lot of positivity on the boards lately, nor is much appropriate, but I thought I'd throw in a little regarding Sale's performance today. Obviously the numbers were good: 6IP, 0ER, 2H, 6K, 0BB. But it wasn't just the numbers; anyone can luck into a 6 shutout innings during spring training. Sale actually looked comfortable, looked to be in command. I was especially impressed by the way he used his offspeed stuff on counts like 1-2 and 2-2. He picked up four or five strikeouts throwing offspeed stuff to right handers and when he wasn't striking people out he was getting some pretty weak fly balls.

I saw him on TV when he faced the Cubs on March 9th and then saw him today at the park. His performances were night and day...hopefully shades of his capabilities as a full-time starter.
Yes it was very encouraging for me to see this act. I have been hounding the team to get this kid equipped with some filthy off-speed junque to complement his ++ heat. Keep the same slot and hitters will be over matched 3 different ways. How about some Contreras style forkers? I think
Chris has power for that too.

October26
03-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Sale and Peavy both looked very good this week. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue with the rest of pitching staff and carry over to the offense as well.

+1.

I sure would like to see the Sox offense come alive over the next couple of weeks heading into the season. I'm worried about Viciedo - he looks lost at the plate. As for Sale, he pitched great yesterday.

doublem23
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
The Sox's pitching staff has a possibility to be very, very good, even if they're lacking a true #1 ace-type pitcher, the Sox could very realistically have 5 above average guys in their rotation, that's something only a few teams in the can say (by my rough count, it's Philadelphia, the Yankees, Tampa Bay and maybe Cincinnati, Miami, and Texas).

Couple of things have to come together; bounce-back seasons for Danks and Floyd, a healthy Jake Peavy, a repeat season for Phil Humber, and Chris Sale's continued development, but the ceiling on this starting rotation is extremely high, if everything falls into place.

DirtySox
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes it was very encouraging for me to see this act. I have been hounding the team to get this kid equipped with some filthy off-speed junque to complement his ++ heat. Keep the same slot and hitters will be over matched 3 different ways. How about some Contreras style forkers? I think
Chris has power for that too.

Sale has always had a changeup. He featured it all the time in college and it was widely graded higher than his slider. The change was merely shelved during his stint as a reliever for whatever reason.

DSpivack
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
The Sox's pitching staff has a possibility to be very, very good, even if they're lacking a true #1 ace-type pitcher, the Sox could very realistically have 5 above average guys in their rotation, that's something only a few teams in the can say (by my rough count, it's Philadelphia, the Yankees, Tampa Bay and maybe Cincinnati, Miami, and Texas).

Couple of things have to come together; bounce-back seasons for Danks and Floyd, a healthy Jake Peavy, a repeat season for Phil Humber, and Chris Sale's continued development, but the ceiling on this starting rotation is extremely high, if everything falls into place.

I think Washington's rotation will be better than Miami's. Maybe the Braves, as well.

doublem23
03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I think Washington's rotation will be better than Miami's. Maybe the Braves, as well.

Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman are a crazy good trio, but I have a lot of trouble trusting Edwin Jackson and then after that Lannan, Wang... Gorzelanny? Detweiler?

Strasburg and Zimmerman are really good pitchers but they've yet to throw for a combined 400 IP and it's not the skill I worry about, it's the stress of the position, especially Strasburg. Also need to wait and see how well Gio pitches away from Oakland, his home/road splits were pretty severe.

Nice piece today at Grantland, though, about the Nationals and their chances in the NL East this year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7712503/stephen-strasburg-bryce-harper-rise-washington-nationals

DSpivack
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman are a crazy good trio, but I have a lot of trouble trusting Edwin Jackson and then after that Lannan, Wang... Gorzelanny? Detweiler?

Strasburg and Zimmerman are really good pitchers but they've yet to throw for a combined 400 IP and it's not the skill I worry about, it's the stress of the position, especially Strasburg. Also need to wait and see how well Gio pitches away from Oakland, his home/road splits were pretty severe.

Nice piece today at Grantland, though, about the Nationals and their chances in the NL East this year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7712503/stephen-strasburg-bryce-harper-rise-washington-nationals

All that is true, though I think there are just as many questions with the fish; health issues with Josh Johnson, whether Zambrano can stay sane and whether he is even good anymore, and whether Ricky Nolasco can be ever be consistent. Overall, I think the Nats' rotation has more potential.

WhiteSox5187
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM

I think this is the time in spring training where guys quit experimenting with stuff and start throwing like it's a real game (though not going quite as deep as they would normally). If there was a time to start taking a glance at stats put up by players it would probably be about now.

Falstaff
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I think this is the time in spring training where guys quit experimenting with stuff and start throwing like it's a real game (though not going quite as deep as they would normally). If there was a time to start taking a glance at stats put up by players it would probably be about now.
Yes good point.
Food for thought: Remember a certain closer we had a few years back, "Mr. Zero" Shingo who featured essentially no fastball but 5 flavors of slow speed junk. Had a pitch we called "the frisbee". He had 1 good year with us but did actually retire like 29 hitters in a row ("hidden perfect game") , with like a
75mph heater.
So: Just imagine if a guy had skeezy pitches like that which work BUT ALSO had a 95MPH fastball in the arsenal. That is what I want to Sale to do as a starter. Would be untouchable. Pitch 1, low and away skeezeball. Pitch 2, chin music just in the zone. Pitch 3, don't matter, it will be either
swinging or looking strike. Just sayin'.....

BRDSR
03-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Yes good point.
Food for thought: Remember a certain closer we had a few years back, "Mr. Zero" Shingo who featured essentially no fastball but 5 flavors of slow speed junk. Had a pitch we called "the frisbee". He had 1 good year with us but did actually retire like 29 hitters in a row ("hidden perfect game") , with like a
75mph heater.
So: Just imagine if a guy had skeezy pitches like that which work BUT ALSO had a 95MPH fastball in the arsenal. That is what I want to Sale to do as a starter. Would be untouchable. Pitch 1, low and away skeezeball. Pitch 2, chin music just in the zone. Pitch 3, don't matter, it will be either
swinging or looking strike. Just sayin'.....

Part of Shingo's effectiveness was that he was such a radical departure from the guy that the batter saw before. He wouldn't have been nearly as effective the second and third time through the order, for the same basic reason he got less effective the longer he played in the majors.

Your point regarding Sale is still valid though. If his elbow holds out with that delivery he has the makings of a successful big league starter.

Falstaff
03-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Part of Shingo's effectiveness was that he was such a radical departure from the guy that the batter saw before. He wouldn't have been nearly as effective the second and third time through the order, for the same basic reason he got less effective the longer he played in the majors.

Your point regarding Sale is still valid though. If his elbow holds out with that delivery he has the makings of a successful big league starter.

My point being that someday Sale could retire each batter he faces in 3 pitches, ad infinitum.

Nellie_Fox
03-21-2012, 01:12 AM
My point being that someday Sale could retire each batter he faces in 3 pitches, ad infinitum.You can't seriously believe that there is some magic combination of pitches that can do this, and that no one has ever thought of it before.

DSpivack
03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
You can't seriously believe that there is some magic combination of pitches that can do this, and that no one has ever thought of it before.

Maybe Chris Sale can't do that, but surely Sidd Finch could!

As for Sale, I know next to nothing about pitching. I'm just a fan who enjoys games. That said, I am not worried about his stuff, but his ability to stay healthy, pitch deep into games, and pitch deep into seasons.

Daver
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Maybe Chris Sale can't do that, but surely Sidd Finch could!

As for Sale, I know next to nothing about pitching. I'm just a fan who enjoys games. That said, I am not worried about his stuff, but his ability to stay healthy, pitch deep into games, and pitch deep into seasons.

I'll be happy if he makes it to the trade deadline without a trip to the DL.