PDA

View Full Version : Dayan Viciedo - Opening Day LF

doublem23
03-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Ventura confirmed. Plenty of time to prepare yourselves for the madness

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Ventura-erases-any-Viciedo-doubt?blockID=672390&feedID=10338

thomas35forever
03-19-2012, 02:38 AM
As long as The Tank is hitting once the games count, that's all that matters.

TomBradley72
03-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Why is this news?

DumpJerry
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Why is this news?
We were told a month or so ago he would be in RF with Rios in LF which resulted in predictions of the end of the world here in WSI.

I did not think it would be that good of an idea (Tank in Right, Rios in Left), but the end of the world? No. Maybe just a mass extinction of numerous species.

doublem23
03-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Why is this news?

Because he's playing like **** so far this spring

Golden Sox
03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
The Tank has nothing to prove in the Minor Leagues anymore. The White Sox are giving him his chance now to perform at the major league level. I hope he stays in the everyday lineup for awhile and we'll see how he does.

TomBradley72
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM

It's still not news- after his progress through the minors- what other scenario was there? Fukudome? Lillibridge?

He's our LF with nothing left to prove at AAA and Robin communicated his move to left a few weeks ago.

Foulke You
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
This "official" announcement could just be to let Viciedo relax a bit and provide assurance that he still has a starting job. I'm not too concerned yet about Dayan. He could be pressing a bit to make an impression on the new coaching staff. Spring Training stats are largely meaningless. I've seen plenty of players flat line in the regular season after having a strong Spring. Josh Fields circa 2008 comes to mind.

shingo10
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Good thing Spring Training counts for nothing then. Tank has been a slow starter all his previous years.

I'm glad Robin has made this a non-story.

Daver
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
The Tank has nothing to prove in the Minor Leagues anymore.

Yeah, he pretty much has proven he can't play any position.

DrCrawdad
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Not even DH?

Nellie_Fox
03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Not even DH?The Sox already have a very, very expensive DH.

delben91
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Better or worse than Carlos Lee and the glove-on-the-head club in LF?

Noneck
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I guess he still has the chance to play left out soon enough.

spawn
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I guess he still has the chance to play left out soon enough.

*crickets*

HaroMaster87
03-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Ill take Tank out there over JP any day of the week...

Noneck
03-24-2012, 10:56 PM

I think you should wait until you actually see him out there for awhile before you make that decision.

StillMissOzzie
03-24-2012, 11:28 PM
I am gonna go out on a limb and hope/predict that Tank mashes the ball enough to provide a lead and that Fukudome comes in as a defensive replacement for the last inning or two.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Ill take Tank out there over JP any day of the week...Yeah, well, we'll see.

Daver
03-25-2012, 01:20 AM

Yeah, getting on base and the ability to run the bases is way over rated, it's all about standing 2 feet away from the wall in left field so that nothing gets over your head and swinging at every high strike that comes your way.

HaroMaster87
03-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah, getting on base and the ability to run the bases is way over rated, it's all about standing 2 feet away from the wall in left field so that nothing gets over your head and swinging at every high strike that comes your way.

Nahhhh, you're right...instead of playing a young, up and coming potential power hitter on a team thats not expected to contend anyway, lets play an over-the-hill, waaay over paid slap hitter who consistently drops the ball, has ZERO power and whose one tool (speed) means nothing when he constantly gets bad jumps on the base paths and takes bad routes to fly balls and/or lets them bounce off his glove...:scratch:

Daver
03-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Nahhhh, you're right...instead of playing a young, up and coming potential power hitter on a team thats not expected to contend anyway, lets play an over-the-hill, waaay over paid slap hitter who consistently drops the ball, has ZERO power and whose one tool (speed) means nothing when he constantly gets bad jumps on the base paths and takes bad routes to fly balls and/or lets them bounce off his glove...:scratch:

Well, they'd have to sign him first.

Noneck
03-25-2012, 04:18 AM

No idea about that considering he is not signed and 2.5M could be way over paid for this so called up and coming power hitter.

HaroMaster87
03-25-2012, 04:25 AM
No idea about that considering he is not signed and 2.5M could be way over paid for this so called up and coming power hitter.

Well, JP made 8.5 mil. last year...and yes, i would have rather played Tank last year...

8.5 mil is WAY over paid in my book...

LITTLE NELL
03-25-2012, 07:36 AM
If the Tank tanks, at least we have decent (not great) insurance with Lilibridge and Fukudome.

Brian26
03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
The scary thing is Adam Dunn may be a better defensive LF than Viciedo.

shenk16
03-25-2012, 10:50 AM

If by getting on base you are referring to JP's .329 OBP and running the bases you are referring to his league leading 17 times caught stealing I am concerned. Also, being tied for the league lead with 7 errors does not support your argument.

I liked JP's clubhouse presence and ability to put the ball in play, but there is no question that it's time to see what Dayan brings to the table.

kufram
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
There is really nothing we can do with Viciedo other than put him left field, pray he doesn't do too much damage there, and hope he hits the ball so hard that no one cares. It's time for him to deliver and I hope he does it, for his sake and for the team's.

Wsoxmike59
03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I was puzzled as to why the Sox were choosing to play Viciedo in LF, when he's learning on the job so to speak, at the major league level.

LF is the sun field at U.S. Cellular and it can be a real bear to play for an inexperienced outfielder to master. The setting sun makes it pretty tough for the LF to pick up flyballs the first couple innings of a night game during the summer months. I would think RF would be the better option for Viciedo for now, and let Rios or De Aza play LF to start the season.

Just my two cents.

russ99
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I was puzzled as to why the Sox were choosing to play Viciedo in LF, when he's learning on the job so to speak, at the major league level.

LF is the sun field at U.S. Cellular and it can be a real bear to play for an inexperienced outfielder to master. The setting sun makes it pretty tough for the LF to pick up flyballs the first couple innings of a night game during the summer months. I would think RF would be the better option for Viciedo for now, and let Rios or De Aza play LF to start the season.

Just my two cents.

I'd hope the Sox reconsider putting him in LF if his fielding position is affecting his performance at the plate.

He's not had a good spring so far. But spring stats can be deceiving...

russ99
03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, JP made 8.5 mil. last year...and yes, i would have rather played Tank last year...

8.5 mil is WAY over paid in my book...

The Dodgers were paying half his salary. And it's moot, Pierre's a bench player with the Phillies now.

I'm all for Tank getting a chance to play every day this year, be it in LF or RF.

What isn't moot is if De Aza can deliver the same run production as Pierre. but we'll have to wait and see.

HaroMaster87
03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
The Dodgers were paying half his salary. And it's moot, Pierre's a bench player with the Phillies now.

I'm all for Tank getting a chance to play every day this year, be it in LF or RF.

What isn't moot is if De Aza can deliver the same run production as Pierre. but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah the De Awesome argument i agree with you...

October26
03-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I know that Viciedo has had a rough Spring both offensively and defensively but I sure am rooting for this kid to do well this year. There is something about Viciedo that is endearing to me. Clearly, he has the ability; hopefully he can figure out how to hit major league pitching on a consistent basis.

Seeing the photo below recently on the cover photo of "La Raza" (a Spanish language Chicago newspaper) made me smile. Here's wishing Dayan "The Tank" Viciedo & Alexei "The Missle" Ramirez a very successful 2012 campaign. Go Sox!

FielderJones
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Seeing the photo below recently on the cover photo of "La Raza" (a Spanish language Chicago newspaper) made me smile.

With all those balls and bats strewn on the dirt in the background, was that picture taken at Wrigley Field? :tongue:

October26
03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
With all those balls and bats strewn on the dirt in the background, was that picture taken at Wrigley Field? :tongue:

You're hilarious, Fielder! I was wondering the exact same thing when I saw the bats, balls, and helmets strewn all over the field. My dad's explanation is that Dayan and Alexei were taking batting practice prior to the photo being taken.

On a serious note, I'll say that it is really special for us to see our two fellow countrymen and Sox players on the cover of La Raza. It was also the first time I saw this year's Sox slogan in Spanish: aprecia el juego. :D: