PDA

View Full Version : How long can this go on?

Viva Magglio
07-21-2002, 07:34 PM
The one game we won in Baltimore, and I had to spend in on a Chicago-bound United Airlines fight. I was in Baltimore for the weekend and attended the Friday and Saturday games. Really on both nights, the Sox played like they have quit on Manuel & Co.

Getting back, I now here that Nardi Contreras may finally get launched on Monday (and not a moment too soon).
As I was sitting in Oriole Park watching this, I kept thinking to myself that management doesn't give a rat's ass about us the fan. At least up to now, they have done absolutely nothing this losing. I'm not saying that an action would turn things around 180º, but it would have at least shown us the fandom that this unmitigated losing is not acceptable.

Maybe it's me, but how many ground balls that went for hits should Ray Durham have gotten? He made a few nice stabs Saturday night, but so many balls get by him on the left and the right. This really opened the floodgates in that six-run inning Friday night.

As Mágglio Ordóñez said in Friday's Sun-Times there are guys who thing "losing is OK too." As he correctly pointed out, that attitude has to go.

hsc1
07-21-2002, 08:07 PM
you wouldnt have noticed this in todays game since you were on a flight and all.. but when kenny got tagged out going to second he came back to the dugout and gave jerry a look of anger then left for the locker rooms, probably to cool his temper i would imagine ..... i believe it was because that play (and the many last nite that we were tagged out running to bases) all jerry did was sit on the bench in his little corner, with the same sleepy look on his face.... if you dont have a manager who at least makes an attempt to show he backs you up( he could have at least stood up and looked like he was on his way out to argue the call) why would you want to play good for him??? could this be one of the many reasons it seems like everyone has quit on jerry and co??????lack of coaching participation........

whitesoxwilkes
07-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Viva, I was in BAL for the weekend as well and I have to agree with you 100%. Don;t know if OP@CY has a "faster" infield than Comsikey, but Ray Ray's range last night looked even worse than it does at home.

Hey, is anyone going to Minneapolis next week?

Ol Aches & Pains
07-21-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Don;t know if OP@CY has a "faster" infield than Comsikey, but Ray Ray's range last night looked even worse than it does at home.

At this point, Durham's shadow covers more ground than he does. Don't worry, he'll probably be gone next year and (hopefully) Willie Harris will be at 2nd.

Daver
07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains

At this point, Durham's shadow covers more ground than he does. Don't worry, he'll probably be gone next year and (hopefully) Willie Harris will be at 2nd.

I think Tim Hummel would beat him out in a ST competition situation.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Ol Aches & Pains
07-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

I don't know, Harris looked pretty impressive this spring. I confess I never even heard of Tim Hummel. Is he regarded as a better prospect than Harris? What level is he at in the system?

Soxheads
07-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by daver

I don't know, knowing Kenny, Crede will be our second baseman next year. :smile:

Daver
07-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains

I don't know, Harris looked pretty impressive this spring. I confess I never even heard of Tim Hummel. Is he regarded as a better prospect than Harris? What level is he at in the system?

Hummel is at Charlotte,he was drafted as a SS but moved to second base because of his defense,he is a better hitter for avg.than Harris,but lacks Harris' speed,he also has more potential for power hitting than Harris.