PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Dick!

Lip Man 1
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Also as an aside, big news coming out "officially" from the Sox in mid March on the Dick Allen / Roland Hemond 40th anniversary celebration this summer!

http://www.fmnewschicago.com/robreport/Story.aspx?ID=1667162

Lip

Medford Bobby
03-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Can't wait for the Sunday Retro uni's!!!!

1972 is still a magical White Sox summer.:bandance:

TomBradley72
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
The article references a "feud" between Santo and Allen- does anyone know anything about that?

Noneck
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
The article references a "feud" between Santo and Allen- does anyone know anything about that?

I am curious also, I have already heard a couple different stories why he left the team in 74 but neither was because of santo. And the long running feud? Does he mean it went back to when Allen was with the phils? Oh if Lip could only get that interview with Allen.

Golden Sox
03-10-2012, 09:41 PM
When Dick Allen was finishing up his career with Oakland, he made comments to one of the Chicago writers that he regreted leaving the White Sox before the 1974 season ended. He retired before the season ended. He also made comments that the White Sox stopped being a team when The Pizza Man (Ron Santo) joined the White Sox for the 1974 season. Although Bill Melton won't talk about it till this day, it was well known in White Sox circles that he wasn't to thrilled with The Pizza Man being on the White Sox either. I found it interesting when Santo got voted into the HOF this past winter, none of the Cubs media writers in this city pointed out that Santo only hit 5 home runs for the White Sox in 1974. He was the 1974 version of Adam Dunn. Those cheap home runs he hit at Wrigley Field became long outs at the old Comiskey Park. When the White Sox made the horrible trade of trading Steve Stone and Steve Swisher for Santo, the Pizza Man signed a 2 year contract with the White Sox. He was such a bust with the White Sox, he quit after the season with one year left on his contract. Santo certainly didn't make any friends with the rest of the players in the league when he crossed the picket line and became a scab during the players strike of 1972. I'm sure that the players on the White Sox who were part of that strike weren't thrilled to death to have a scab on there team.

Frater Perdurabo
03-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I was born in 1976 so I never got to see Dick Allen's playing career. But I do remember the mammoth frozen rope rocket he crushed off Ferguson Jenkins at Wrigley in 1990 during the AL-NL Old Timer's Game on the day before the All Star Game. I was sitting in the RF bleachers, so I had a clear view of the trajectory of the ball as it kept rising as it cleared the fence in straightaway center field, peaked above the back end of the batter's eye, and finally was stopped about five rows short of the base of the bottom left side of the scoreboard. If it had been to left or right field it would have smashed against one of the buildings across Waveland or Sheffield; the person who stopped the flight of that ball risked serious injury that day. The whole place gasped when the ball was hit; Sox/AL fans went wild when it went out. Allen was 2-2 with five RBIs in that 10-0 AL win.

Nellie_Fox
03-11-2012, 01:07 AM
I was born in 1976 so I never got to see Dick Allen's playing career. But I do remember the mammoth frozen rope rocket he crushed off Ferguson Jenkins at Wrigley in 1990 during the AL-NL Old Timer's Game on the day before the All Star Game. I was sitting in the RF bleachers, so I had a clear view of the trajectory of the ball as it kept rising as it cleared the fence in straightaway center field, peaked above the back end of the batter's eye, and finally was stopped about five rows short of the base of the bottom left side of the scoreboard. If it had been to left or right field it would have smashed against one of the buildings across Waveland or Sheffield; the person who stopped the flight of that ball risked serious injury that day. The whole place gasped when the ball was hit; Sox/AL fans went wild when it went out. Allen was 2-2 with five RBIs in that 10-0 AL win.Nobody hit the ball harder. Nobody. I'm convinced he left flat spots on the ball.

Lip Man 1
03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
This and that:

Noneck: I think we're going to make you very happy. I'm going to be a part of the events that will be taking place over three days in connection with this. The White Sox and the Chicago Baseball Museum are going to be putting on some very special things. Richard Roeper and I are going to be the co-hosts.

From my interview with Carlos May: "In the years that I played with him I saw him get angry twice and they were both because of things that he thought weren’t right as far as playing the game.”

“The first time I think we were in Cleveland, and Pat Kelly was having a bad day. He struck out three times. The next time up he hit a foul pop that the 3rd baseman was chasing and Pat was yelling, ‘catch it, catch it...’ He was mad and he didn’t want to strike out a fourth time. When he got back to the dugout Dick let him have it. He called him a lot of things and I remember him saying that what Pat did, ‘was not professional.”

“The other time was when we got Ron Santo. He was our DH that year. We were in Chicago and it was cold and wet. Dick was hitting 3rd, Bill Melton 4th, and Santo 5th. Ron was back in the clubhouse, I don’t know if he was getting loose or doing something but Dick made an out and went back to the dugout. As Dick was sitting down, Ron came out of the tunnel and asked him what the pitcher was throwing. Dick exploded and basically said if he wanted to know what the pitcher was throwing he should have his ass on the bench watching with the rest of us. Dick was very big when it came to the team and that everyone should be doing everything they can to win games.”

From my interview with Chuck Tanner: "He just came into my office with his spikes tied together and hung over his shoulder like you used to do as a kid and said, ‘Lefty, that’s it, I’m done.’ I told him that I appreciated how hard he played for me and that I thought he had the greatest year anyone that I managed, ever had. I knew he was really hurting. Dick had a very bad shoulder, he was coming off that broken leg (Author’s Note: Suffered in June 1973 in Anaheim) and he was tired. He was just tired of dealing with things like the media. There were a number of games where he shouldn’t even have been playing but he was out there anyway.”

Lip

Noneck
03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
This and that:

Noneck: I think we're going to make you very happy. I'm going to be a part of the events that will be taking place over three days in connection with this. The White Sox and the Chicago Baseball Museum are going to be putting on some very special things. Richard Roeper and I are going to be the co-hosts.

Lip,

That is so darn cool, Let us all know the specifics when you know more.