PDA

View Full Version : Tampa game 2

Moses_Scurry
03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm going to be in Florida, and I have the opportunity to go to the Rays' second game of the season. Normally I would assume that I could get a decent ticket at the door for a Rays game, but they are playing the Yanks. I know there are Tampa people here. What do you think? I'm not sure I can commit to going to the game ahead of time. What are the chances that I would get there and the game would be sold out?

Chez
03-10-2012, 09:53 AM
What are the chances of Game 2 being a sell out? Slim and none. With "slim" walking out the door.

Moses_Scurry
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Normally I would agree, but with it being the opening homestand and the Yankees, I wasn't sure.

Fenway
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Normally I would agree, but with it being the opening homestand and the Yankees, I wasn't sure.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is Easter weekend and Tampa will also be hosting the Frozen Four that same night. The Rays usually draw best on a Saturday night so they will have a big crowd.

SCCWS
03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. It is Easter weekend and Tampa will also be hosting the Frozen Four that same night. The Rays usually draw best on a Saturday night so they will have a big crowd.

A few thoughts:

1.The Rays have a small fanbase. But being in April, there will still be the snowbirds who stay till the end of April. I would think they will draw about 30,000.
2. I always go to a few games in April and usually just walk-up and buy tics which are $12 behind home plate in upper deck. Now Yankee tics are more ( $18+??) and so will parking as Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers and a couple more opponents are premium priced.
3. You can even order online around 5 hours before and get a discount of a few bucks.
4. Area is somewhat sketchy so make sure you have directions in and out.
5. Tampa/st Pete is a great area to visit. Should be 85 or so in April.

Moses_Scurry
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
A few thoughts:

1.The Rays have a small fanbase. But being in April, there will still be the snowbirds who stay till the end of April. I would think they will draw about 30,000.
2. I always go to a few games in April and usually just walk-up and buy tics which are $12 behind home plate in upper deck. Now Yankee tics are more ( $18+??) and so will parking as Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers and a couple more opponents are premium priced.
3. You can even order online around 5 hours before and get a discount of a few bucks.
4. Area is somewhat sketchy so make sure you have directions in and out.
5. Tampa/st Pete is a great area to visit. Should be 85 or so in April.

What are some good, easy things to do? I will probably arrive a good 5-6 hours before game time. I'll be by myself, so it won't have to be kid things.

Fenway
03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
What are some good, easy things to do? I will probably arrive a good 5-6 hours before game time. I'll be by myself, so it won't have to be kid things.

Worth an hour

http://www.seabirdsanctuary.com/

LITTLE NELL
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
They could not even sellout playoff games last year, you will have no problem.

SCCWS
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM

If you never have been to a Gulf beach, you can be there in less than an hour from the ballpark. A place like Treasure Island would be a tourist stop as opposed to a walk the beach spot.

moochpuppy
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Last time the Yanks played in Tampa in April the games averaged a little over 30,000. Tropicana Field capacity is a little over 34,000 so you should be fine.