PDA

View Full Version : For Anybody Who Hates Dynamic Pricing

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Here are some "dynamic" deals:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/dynamic_values.jsp?content=pricing

Don't sprea the word too much! :wink:

DoItForDanPasqua
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Or you can buy those April games on Stubhub for about six rubles.

doublem23
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Or you can buy those April games on Stubhub for about six rubles.

Yeah, it's nice to see the Sox have actually come to the conclusion that it's disingenuous for them to promote "Dynamic Pricing" when they never drop the prices below face but those "deals" are still a joke. I know I can go to StubHub and get tickets to that Orioles series for 1/2 the price of what they've got online there.

Fenway
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I wish Brooks would do something like this with WSI

I know he monitors the site - ( that was proven 2 weeks ago )

The problem they face is the upper deck.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/2/29/2832229/another-phone-call-with-brooks-boyer-white-sox-head-of-marketing-and

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I agree that you can buy online close to the game for even less (Upper deck seats have been $.97 before!) but I was more or less showing that the White Sox are pushing these "deals" on their site. I don't recall that last season.

doublem23
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I wish Brooks would do something like this with WSI

I know he monitors the site - ( that was proven 2 weeks ago )

The problem they face is the upper deck.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/2/29/2832229/another-phone-call-with-brooks-boyer-white-sox-head-of-marketing-and

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhh, those interviews are arranged by the Sox not the individual sites. If you'd take a second to review them, you might have noticed how writers from several fansites are in the transcripts. I know WSI is always invited to participate in them but, and this is my own personal feelings, don't know how the higher ups feel, they're always A) in the middle of a weekday and B) I would just end up writing a duplicate of what you could find at SSS.

I see you're trying to stir up **** again already? Knock it off and grow up. For christ's sake.

doublem23
03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I agree that you can buy online close to the game for even less (Upper deck seats have been $.97 before!) but I was more or less showing that the White Sox are pushing these "deals" on their site. I don't recall that last season.

I see what you're saying, but at the heart of this is that these "deals" still suck. The Sox's big ad push seems to be WHITESOX.COM - THE SAFEST PLACE TO BUY TICKETS ONLINE - Like I'm some kind of idiot who doesn't know that StubHub is an official partner of MLB.com so they're every bit as legit as whitesox.com is now. It'd be a good strategy if StubHub was still the internet Wild West like Craiglist and there was a chance you might get ripped off, but StubHub and the Sox have been partners for years now, right? Has anyone had a problem with them since they became the official resale shop for tickets? I haven't. It's basically the exact same process as the Sox's website except I pay 1/2 the price.

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I see what you're saying, but at the heart of this is that these "deals" still suck. The Sox's big ad push seems to be WHITESOX.COM - THE SAFEST PLACE TO BUY TICKETS ONLINE - Like I'm some kind of idiot who doesn't know that StubHub is an official partner of MLB.com so they're every bit as legit as whitesox.com is now. It'd be a good strategy if StubHub was still the internet Wild West like Craiglist and there was a chance you might get ripped off, but StubHub and the Sox have been partners for years now, right? Has anyone had a problem with them since they became the official resale shop for tickets? I haven't. It's basically the exact same process as the Sox's website except I pay 1/2 the price.

Totally agree. Just saw that on that link and Mike Maza (spelling?) was on WSox Weekly two weeks ago. This is really saying buy from us not a broker ot StubHub. This goes back to my biggest thing against dynamic pricing...If the price can go up for CC Sabathia vs Danks, why can't it go down against the O's in April. It seems like the price stays at a base price or goes up.

amsteel
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
The only way the Sox can win the battle against Stubhub is by screwing over the STHs. Which, while decidedly ****ty on their part, I can see them doing at some point.

Perhaps a current/former STH, can correct me on this but I would assume the main reasons people sign up for a ST plan are:
-Means, they have the money and want to spend it on the Sox
-Benefits, primarily playoff tickets, but there are also some other benefits, gifts, STH party, etc.
-Pride, it's a pretty cool thing to be a 81 game holder (at least I think so)
-Ease, you don't have to go pick out tickets 81 times a year, you're guaranteed the same seats, and ease of resale

So if there are people who decide they want to buy 81 individually priced games during the year, let them do it. They may spend less money, but don't have any the above mentioned benefits. As an STH, I would not be happy with this, but in the end you're the one electing to go the STH route.

All that being said, if I lived in Chicago and had the means, I would be an STH no doubt.

amsteel
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Also, just because I'm somewhat fascinated by the whole dynamic pricing thing. I took a look at the HTML code for a Ticketmaster page and It's possible for someone to write a script that would check the dynamically set price of each game every day to see how things are fluctuating.

I think it would be an interesting thing to monitor, plus it would give one an idea when the best time to buy would be.

I doubt I have the time to do so, but it would be an interesting project.

Jason82807
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm a season ticket holder and I don't mind if the Sox sell tickets for less than the season ticket holder rate if it will get more people in the ballpark. As Amsteel mentioned, there are other perks to being a STH