PDA

View Full Version : Papelbon: Phillies Fans More Knowledgeable Than Red Sox Fans

Fenway
03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
:?:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/03/08/jonathan-papelbon-phillies-fans-more-knowledgeable-than-red-sox-fans/

sox1970
03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Nobody should care what Papelbon thinks on any topic.

mzh
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
If that's the case they should be very knowledgeable on how grossly overpaid he will be for the next 4 years.

guillensdisciple
03-08-2012, 04:35 PM
If that's the case they should be very knowledgeable on how grossly overpaid he will be for the next 4 years.

Lol I think I would never have the nerve to say this if the city that pays me is where those fans are

Fenway
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Lol I think I would never have the nerve to say this if the city that pays me is where those fans are

I can't wait for the first blown save in Philly. :tongue:

guillensdisciple
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I can't wait for the first blown save in Philly. :tongue:

Seriously though, is boston still enamored with papelbon or have you guya realized he is not as cool as his fiery temper is hot. Lol that was my attempt at an analogy

Edit: and yes I know that he is on the phillies just asking in general

Fenway
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Seriously though, is boston still enamored with papelbon or have you guya realized he is not as cool as his fiery temper is hot. Lol that was my attempt at an analogy

Edit: and yes I know that he is on the phillies just asking in general

His act wore thin in Boston 3 years ago. He is not missed at all.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
He uses the fact that they play in the NL as his reason??? So, with that same logic, Cubs fans are more knowledgeable than Sox fans in Chicago? Lame!

Fenway
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Nobody will ever forget his last pitch as a Red Sox :whiner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOwMO6H5AI&feature=player_detailpage#t=500s

guillensdisciple
03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
He uses the fact that they play in the NL as his reason??? So, with that same logic, Cubs fans are more knowledgeable than Sox fans in Chicago? Lame!

It's okay stupid people say stupid things.

More importantly, there is no way to quantify which fanbase is smarter than another. That is just a matter of opinion. I don't like the cubs but there are some smart baseball fans over there just like there are smart and dumb ones on the south side. Give and take kinda thing.

Fenway
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Red Sox beat writer responds

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/03/papelbon_philli.html?p1=News_links

GoGoCrede
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Don't understand the outrage. This is PR 101 for anybody going to a new team. Remember when Jenks said he always wanted to play for Boston? True or not, it's just a player pandering to the fanbase, which is expected.

palehozenychicty
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
He was a lot better in the beginning of his time in Boston than the end. But he seemed like a guy who wanted the money, which is fine. The Red Sox look like a more expensive version of the White Sox right now: a mystery.

DSpivack
03-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Don't understand the outrage. This is PR 101 for anybody going to a new team. Remember when Jenks said he always wanted to play for Boston? True or not, it's just a player pandering to the fanbase, which is expected.

Agreed.

The Phillies look pretty dumb to me in signing Papelbon to years 4 years and $50 million, while Ryan Madson ended up signing for one year and $8.5 million and Brad Lidge for one year and just $1 million. They could have brought back both relievers for less than signing Papelbon, and Madson is probably the best of the three at this point in their careers.

Fenway
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
He was a lot better in the beginning of his time in Boston than the end. But he seemed like a guy who wanted the money, which is fine. The Red Sox look like a more expensive version of the White Sox right now: a mystery.

From May thru August last year Boston was the best team in baseball. In April and September they were one of the worst. :scratch:

In April they couldn't hit and September they couldn't pitch. They could finish 1st or 4th.

DSpivack
03-08-2012, 11:37 PM
From May thru August last year Boston was the best team in baseball. In April and September they were one of the worst. :scratch:

In April they couldn't hit and September they couldn't pitch. They could finish 1st or 4th.

1st will take some luck. Converting one reliever into a starter is risky enough, two seems almost crazy. Also, Bard has never really succeeded as a starter on any level, while Aceves hasn't started since the minors in 2008.

I don't see them finishing 4th, however. I don't expect much of the Blue Jays and the Orioles may be worst run team in baseball.

TommyJohn
03-09-2012, 06:51 AM
WHAT???????
I am indignant! Doesn't he know how much Red Sox fans suffered throughout history?? Doesn't he know about Bucky Dent and Bill Buckner? Doesn't he know that Ken Burns is a Red Sox fan??

Fenway
03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
1st will take some luck. Converting one reliever into a starter is risky enough, two seems almost crazy. Also, Bard has never really succeeded as a starter on any level, while Aceves hasn't started since the minors in 2008.

I don't see them finishing 4th, however. I don't expect much of the Blue Jays and the Orioles may be worst run team in baseball.

In 2010 and 11, Boston was not ready to start the season. Francona took some heat for it last year but then they got hot. Valentine is running a camp that Dick Williams would approve.

Offense was not the problem in the collapse. The starters all collapsed and Bard lost leads in the 8th often during September.