PDA

View Full Version : Jose Canseco quits Mexican League rather than taking drug test

Fenway
03-08-2012, 10:27 AM
shocking

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7658223/jose-canseco-play-mexican-baseball-league-denies-taking-banned-substance

Soxman24
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
He's been playing in some of the pro slowpitch softball tournaments out in Cali as well.....but I doubt they drug test.

chisoxjtrain
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
This is my shocked face
http://gifsoup.com/view/234973/shocked-face-o.gif

TheOldRoman
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, when he testified in congress I believe he said he has to continually take steroids because they messed up his system so much that he no longer produces testosterone, so he's not even trying to hide it anymore.

Brian26
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Canseco said he's going to play baseball again, so help him even if it kills him.

Rest in peace, Jose.

Red Barchetta
03-09-2012, 07:42 AM
He's been playing in some of the pro slowpitch softball tournaments out in Cali as well.....but I doubt they drug test.

Actually, I would be funn to see how far Canseco could hit a 12" softball.

Soxman24
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Actually, I would be funn to see how far Canseco could hit a 12" softball.

There is a youtube vid (sorry no link) that shows him and pro softball player Brett Helmer cranking 12" softballs out of a major league size stadium. Of course, the new composite bats that are out makes this rather simple for anyone with decent power, still it's pretty cool to see.

RKMeibalane
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
My first (and most vivid) Jose Canseco memory is of his getting arrested for unlawful possession of a weapon (he had an unregistered firearm in his glove compartment) and being ripped to shreds in the Bay Area media by Will Clark after he called the latter a "three-toed slug." Both of these things happened in the same summer, and were the topic of endless conversation at the summer day camp I attended.

Red Barchetta
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
There is a youtube vid (sorry no link) that shows him and pro softball player Brett Helmer cranking 12" softballs out of a major league size stadium. Of course, the new composite bats that are out makes this rather simple for anyone with decent power, still it's pretty cool to see.

I played in some hard core 12" softball leagues and the new bats are outrageous. We even had guys who modified them (yes, against the rules) for even more pop. I could not image the damage Frank Thomas would have done to a Roger Clemens fastball if he had a similar type bat! :o:

RKMeibalane
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I played in some hard core 12" softball leagues and the new bats are outrageous. We even had guys who modified them (yes, against the rules) for even more pop. I could not image the damage Frank Thomas would have done to a Roger Clemens fastball if he had a similar type bat! :o:

If I remember correctly, a modified aluminum bat was something that Frank used in batting practice during the 2003 season to help with his hands and timing, and it resulted in his having a late-season power surge that kept the White Sox near/at the top of the Central division (until the Buehrle/Cotts disaster and the Jose Paniagua experiment). ESPN showed several clips of him hitting balls completely of the 'Cell, with others striking the back wall of the left field concourse.

Soxman24
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Oh yeah, and there are hot bats that come off the line smokin hot (like senior league bats) that are only used in derbys or outlaw leagues. We had a problem with guys shaving and rolling in our league so now we have mandatory bat testing every spring just to ensure the bats are not altered in any way.

Red Barchetta
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
If I remember correctly, a modified aluminum bat was something that Frank used in batting practice during the 2003 season to help with his hands and timing, and it resulted in his having a late-season power surge that kept the White Sox near/at the top of the Central division (until the Buehrle/Cotts disaster and the Jose Paniagua experiment). ESPN showed several clips of him hitting balls completely of the 'Cell, with others striking the back wall of the left field concourse.

Didn't "Shammy" Sosa use that same excuse when his corked bat exploded?! "I accidentaly grabbed my souped-up batting practice show bat!" :whiner:

I need to look for that video of Frank. Would love to see it.