PDA

View Full Version : Where is Your Interest Level in This Team?

Thome25
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Let me start off by saying that I'm NOT jumping off the bandwagon. I'll ALWAYS be a die-hard Sox fan.

I've been a fan since 1990 but, I've noticed that this year, I've been the most disinterested in this team than I've ever been in my 20+ years as a Sox fan.

I'm excited that Robin is back ( and Ozzie is finally gone.) But, I'm finding my self almost avoiding the Sox and looking to other sports currently. What about you? where is your interest level?

Jurr
03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
The ST excitement I used to have has dissipated immensely since 2009 or so.
When you see a plodding, fundamentally unsound team stumbling along, while its manager and GM play up to the media, it gets old.

The last three years have made being a Sox fan TIRING.

Let us all hope that better days lie ahead.

GoGoCrede
03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
High. I don't care what the predictions are. I'm just glad to have baseball back and see which players will bounce back.

bigsoxfan420
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
My interest is beginning to increase as spring training progresses. I am starting to get excited to see another one of my childhood heroes, even more so than Ozzie, coach the team. I am interested to see how the group of bums we had last year can pull themselves back to career averages, though Rios is a lost cause.

Also, while my daughter is too young to go to a Sox game at 2, IMO, she definitely reacts to my excitement over baseball (and other sports, she can make a "field goal" sign like the best of them), which I am really looking forward to this year.

Thome25
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
High. I don't care what the predictions are. I'm just glad to have baseball back and see which players will bounce back.

For me, it's not so much what the "professional" predictions are because i haven't read ANY of them.It's my own personal expectations i have for the team.

And thats coming from a fan who got excited EVERY year. Even during the bad and medicocre ones...."kids can play" era included.

Broccoli Rob
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
4/10 as of right now, hoping it's not 1/10 by June.

ChiSoxGirl
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm always interested; it's White Sox baseball. How can I not be? Besides, my childhood hero and favorite player in Sox history is the new manager. Life as a Sox fan doesn't get too much better than that from my perspective!

cheezheadsoxfan
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
My level is high. Like Go-Go, I'm just happy to have baseball back. And while I don't think we are going to come out of nowhere like in '05, I'm not yet convinced that we will absolutely suck. I'm just going to appreciate the game.:redneck

DonnieDarko
03-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Medium. I'm glad that baseball is back, but I have no real expectations for this team.

roylestillman
03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Quite high. 38,000 feet to be exact as I'm on Southwest flight 1889 to Phoenix. I always look forward to the start of baseball. Over the last few weeks I kept thinking that there has to be some improvement among the big three bombs of last year. The closer situation scares me, though.

kufram
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
My interest level is exactly that same as it always is during spring training..... not very. Other sports are more interesting in March. NCAA and my local minor league hockey team need my attention more until opening day.

But you are never out of the play-off race in March.

delben91
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I'll call it a 5/10. Neither excited for the season nor dreading it. I really have no expectations for this team, and I mean that in a neutral way, not a negative one, as in a total lack of any kind of expectations rather than bad expectations.

I'll be interested to see how individual players perform, especially those with some sort of potential future with the team like Beckham, Morel, Viciedo, Reed, Stewart, Humber and Flowers.

Since my main sports are baseball and hockey, I'll be glad to have both going at the same time like every spring.

SI1020
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm a White Sox fan. I'm always interested. I hung in there from 68-70, following the team and hoping for a turnaround. From 68-89 exactly 6 winning seasons and I remained interested. I don't expect much this year but will still follow the team and hope for the best.

russ99
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm real happy to see Sox baseball again. :D:

My interest is very high, but expectations are a bit low, hoping they surprise me.

DirtySox
03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Always high. Bad or good. Baseball is great.

kevingrt
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Interest level is very, very low.

That being said I am excited to go outside and watch my team play. Expectations are low and really they might lose 100 games this year but the sun, warm weather, and smell of churros will still bring me out to the park, especially when tickets will be $3 for lower level on Stubhub.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Medium. I keep close tabs on them but my expectations aren't that high.

Lip

Sad
03-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Lip

this is exactly where I am...

Steelrod
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi as always. It's baseball!

palehosepub
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Right or wrong its a big part of my life and I look forward to opening day every year, I have made every home opener since 1984 and I will never miss one. As previous posters have mentioned I have watched a lot of bad teams in the 1970's and 1980's and it gets frustrating but it is still my team... I can lose some interest in September when they fall out of it (and I begin drinking the Bears Kool Aid) but I will still watch or listen to most games...

This year I really am hoping for a step forward for our young guys to give me hope for the future - Morel, Sale, Reed, Viziedo, and yes, still Beckham. I think Morel is underrated and will be a very solid 3B for many years, at a level of Crede to Ventura.. I would love to see Beckhame reach the potential I think he still has. Sale will probably have an adjustment year and will be inconsistent but show promise . I'm not sold on Viciedo yet but it will be fun to watch him.

Soxman24
03-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Love the Sox but my interest level is low right now. I'm happy to see spring training begin but don't have any high expectations for this team. I don't know, maybe when the NBA season ends I will have more of an interest.

Foulke You
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I love the White Sox and baseball is borderline religion for me.:cool: I survived the Bevington era and the corpse ball Manuel era (with the exception of 2000). I can definitely survive "Robin's Retooling". My interest is high every season regardless of expectations. I am puzzled at some people saying their expectations are as low as they've been in 20 or 30 years. I'm wondering if some of you have just forgotten how uninspiring the talent level was on some of those mid to late 90s teams. They were pretty bad on paper and very few Sox fans were thinking a division title was possible let alone a World Series. The '95 team had Brian Keyser and Mike Bertotti in the rotation, Chris Sabo and John Kruk at DH, and Mike Deveraux in RF. The '98 team had Carlos and Tony Castillo "anchoring" the bullpen, Wil Cordero at 1B, Scott Eyre and Jaime Navarro in the rotation, and Chris Snopek at 3B. Those teams didn't exactly whip the fanbase into a frenzy heading into Opening Day. I'll take the talent level and possible upside of the 2012 White Sox over some of those dead ass Bevington/Jerry Manuel teams of the '90s.

aryzner
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, I love watching baseball almost more than anything, so my interest is always incredibly high when MLB is in season.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Lip

This is where I am at too. I can't remember the last time I had such low expectations for the team in spring training.

shingo10
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
My interest level is always going to be extremely high when it comes to the Sox no matter what. As much as I try to ignore spring training because it doesn't really matter I always find myself reading the recaps and listening to the games on the radio. I just can't help it.

All that being said the last few years were very draining. Last year was probably the least fun I've ever had following the Sox. They were really bad in 2007 but that team always gave the impression that they were trying. I didn't get that all the time with the 2011 bunch. Hopefully Robin will make a positive difference in a huge way. I'm excited to have such a seemingly level-headed person directing the ship.

Bucky F. Dent
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
My interest level is very high; it always is during spring training. It's the Sox, it's spring training, what's not to love!?!

cheezheadsoxfan
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I love the White Sox and baseball is borderline religion for me.:cool: I survived the Bevington era and the corpse ball Manuel era (with the exception of 2000). I can definitely survive "Robin's Retooling". My interest is high every season regardless of expectations. I am puzzled at some people saying their expectations are as low as they've been in 20 or 30 years. I'm wondering if some of you have just forgotten how uninspiring the talent level was on some of those mid to late 90s teams. They were pretty bad on paper and very few Sox fans were thinking a division title was possible let alone a World Series. The '95 team had Brian Keyser and Mike Bertotti in the rotation, Chris Sabo and John Kruk at DH, and Mike Deveraux in RF. The '98 team had Carlos and Tony Castillo "anchoring" the bullpen, Wil Cordero at 1B, Scott Eyre and Jaime Navarro in the rotation, and Chris Snopek at 3B. Those teams didn't exactly whip the fanbase into a frenzy heading into Opening Day. I'll take the talent level and possible upside of the 2012 White Sox over some of those dead ass Bevington/Jerry Manuel teams of the '90s.

I like how you think.

TommyGavinFloyd
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Low. I'm interested in what they're going to do this year but the other day I tried to watch some of that game and saw Will Ohman was pitching. That was all I needed to see for the day.

ChiSoxGal85
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm listening, watching and/or following spring training games and news. The Sox are my team, so I'll watch no matter what. I'm not as rabidly hopeful as I was last year...but it could be a very good year, if certain players play up to their potential.

My player to watch this year is Brent Morel; I have a good feeling about him.

DonnieDarko
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
My player to watch this year is Brent Morel; I have a good feeling about him.

Replace "Morel" with "Beckham" and those are my thoughts (albeit, I do think that Morel will be better this year. Gut feeling and all that, grain of salt, etc., etc.). Then again, I've been burned on Beckham before. We'll see.

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM
My interest level is always high on the team, but my interest in spending money at the ballpark is low.

Golden Sox
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
The 2011 season reminded me of 4 of the 5 years of the second Bill Veeck ownership years. When the team was losing by a couple of runs after the 7th inning, you knew the team was going to lose. If the team was losing after the 7th inning at the Cell, most fans started leaving to go home. That being said, I keep telling myself that Rios, Dunn and Beckham have to be better in 2012 than what they were in 2011. And if that is the case the White Sox will be better in 2012. Then again, if those 3 guys stink again, we're in for another long year. I'm also fearful of Konerko and AJ getting old all of a sudden. And if that happens, we're in trouble also. I can see how the average fan can't be too optimistic about the coming season. The White Sox management didn't really add any new good players to this team in the off season.

Harry Chappas
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
My interest level is high while my expectations are very low. I'm going into this season focused more on the play of the young guys without much thought about the W/L record. As a result, I probably won't be as emotionally invested in the team as I usually am, but maybe that's a good thing!

soxnut1018
03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
High. It's baseball.

spawn
03-08-2012, 05:05 PM
High. I'll be following them every game, especially now that the Ozzie Guillen Circus has left town.

FielderJones
03-08-2012, 05:07 PM
High. It's baseball.

:thumbsup:

It's White Sox baseball!

Interested to see if the young guys take the next step and become solid players.

03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
As low as it's been since the start of the 2005 season. Here's hoping the results are the same.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Quite high. 38,000 feet to be exact as I'm on Southwest flight 1889 to Phoenix. I always look forward to the start of baseball. Over the last few weeks I kept thinking that there has to be some improvement among the big three bombs of last year. The closer situation scares me, though.
Sorry for the Hi-Jack, but how is the WiFi connection on Southwest?

I don't think the Sox are going to be very good this year. In fact, I see a 5th place finish. But, it is nice that my favorite baseball player of all time is back as the manager. I probably won't go to any games that I have to pay to go to (personal financial decision to allow myself to finish paying a loan off, go on a vacation, and save up money for fall). But, I'll still watch the games as long as there is no hockey on!

tstrike2000
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
It's always high when baseball season starts since I've always been a diehard Sox fan. It's also good when the weather starts getting warmer, a great time of year. Similar to others, I'm just not as emotionally invested in the team as maybe I was before since there are so many unknowns this year. However, I'll always root for them no matter what. It is a kind of a peaceful feeling, too not having too many expectations and a skipper who, between him and his family, isn't a walking pain in the ass.

SOXfnNlansing
03-08-2012, 06:42 PM
LOW. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised though.

Parrothead
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Let me start off by saying that I'm NOT jumping off the bandwagon. I'll ALWAYS be a die-hard Sox fan.

I've been a fan since 1990 but, I've noticed that this year, I've been the most disinterested in this team than I've ever been in my 20+ years as a Sox fan.

I'm excited that Robin is back ( and Ozzie is finally gone.) But, I'm finding my self almost avoiding the Sox and looking to other sports currently. What about you? where is your interest level?

Basically, no interest level. With that said, I will be at my usual 7- 15 games this year. I have no faith in the Sox to be even average or somewhat entertaining.

guillensdisciple
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM

I don't think the Sox are going to be very good this year. In fact, I see a 5th place finish. But, it is nice that my favorite baseball player of all time is back as the manager. I probably won't go to any games that I have to pay to go to (personal financial decision to allow myself to finish paying a loan off, go on a vacation, and save up money for fall). But, I'll still watch the games as long as there is no hockey on!

Don't mean to pick your quotes, but I tried it the other week and it was not bad at all. Maintained a Skype chat convo very well and page load speeds were dial up quality. Still, getting that on a plane is a good feeling.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Don't mean to pick your quotes, but I tried it the other week and it was not bad at all. Maintained a Skype chat convo very well and page load speeds were dial up quality. Still, getting that on a plane is a good feeling.
Do they have power ports at each seat, or do you have to make sure your phone is fully charged?

guillensdisciple
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Do they have power ports at each seat, or do you have to make sure your phone is fully charged?

Definitely needs to be charged- I used the laptop but there was nothing to connect my power plug so I know there was no way to do it via phone. If you have an iPhone it becomes convenient because their iMessage update allows you to text via wifi and saves you battery.

As for the year, I am excited- last year I'll be able to catch a sox game in state unless they travel down to Texas or I come back to Chicago to visit. So sucky or not, I will be at the park. Hopefully I can meet some of you guys down there as I have only met one from wsi do far.

BainesHOF
03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I can see this team being absolutely awful or good enough to win the division if Detroit has problems. It'll probably fall somewhere in the middle and that's not real exciting territory, especially considering our relative lack of young prospects. As a fan, it's depressing to think about our minor-league system, which I've heard called the worst somebody has ever seen. For this reason, and the fact that many of the people responsible for the sorry state of our minor-league talent are still on the job, the future for the organization looks dark for years to come.

That said, it'll be interesting to watch Ventura manage. He knows the game. Hopefully his leadership will be strong.

Noneck
03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Ill be following every game until there is no reason to follow them. That is not because of record or being in contention. It is how they play the game and what I see regarding this team for the future.

A. Cavatica
03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Low. I was a fan in years like '79 when the team was even worse than this, so it's not the caliber of the players that bothers me -- it's that management can't seem to make up their minds what the direction of the team is, and will neither put a good team on the field nor commit to a rebuild. Until that changes, or the team goes on a long winning streak, or we can see that Ventura's made a positive mark on the team, or a phenom emerges and tears up the league, my interest will remain low.

Frontman
03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
It's normal to have some interest in baseball at this time of the year, but obviously sports like the NHL, NASCAR, NBA and NCAA basketball all dominate this time of the year.

I'm excited for the season, and I know that 162 games will determine if the Sox are good or not this year. Even if they are bad, I know that its time for the team to rebuild, and it takes growing pains to achieve that.

Go-go White Sox!!!

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I root for the laundry over the players. Still, I'm kind of numb about Buehrle leaving. I can't help but feel less excited about this season than I have in quite some time. I also think that as I've aged and have had kids, and also landed my "dream job" in 2010, my interest in the Sox and sports in general has waned somewhat. Nevertheless, I still am looking forward to opening day and probably will keep up with every game using one of the many apps on my iPhone.

palehozenychicty
03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I've loved the Sox for nearly 23 years. I'll love them forever more. But as Cavatica said, they are in such limbo right now. I don't think management has a clue how to fix it either. I respect KW, but I'm no longer a believer.

I'll go watch them when they come to play the Yanks, and will keep up. But I'm glad that the Hawks, Bulls, and Bears look more promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

gosox41
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
My interest is beginning to increase as spring training progresses. I am starting to get excited to see another one of my childhood heroes, even more so than Ozzie, coach the team. I am interested to see how the group of bums we had last year can pull themselves back to career averages, though Rios is a lost cause.

Also, while my daughter is too young to go to a Sox game at 2, IMO, she definitely reacts to my excitement over baseball (and other sports, she can make a "field goal" sign like the best of them), which I am really looking forward to this year.

You're never to young to go to a Sox game.:)

Bob

gobears1987
03-08-2012, 11:30 PM
5/10 excited for baseball, but I have realistic expectations and will be shocked if this team breaks .500.

TaylorStSox
03-09-2012, 12:37 AM
8/10 this year. 5/10 last year. I'm not really sure why.

Tragg
03-09-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm interested in the season, but it's been the most boring offseason ever. Just look at this board - it's been dead for nearly 5 months. Nothing much interesting going on with the Sox.

balke
03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
The face of the organization is now Adam Dunn. I feel like I'm watching a team that has Adam Dunn as their best player. So yeah... not excited.

I will still watch. I want to see Sale, Peavy, and what happens to Beckham. I don't have many expectations for Viciedo - but if he's half as good as people make him out to be I gotta keep an eye on that.

I think this team has no hope for winning anything - but I'll watch to see how the younger guys progress.

Irishsoxfan
03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
I'll be watching as many games as I can until there's no more Sox games to watch. I didn't spend the off season looking forward to baseball coming back just to ignore the Sox; where's the sense in that?

Dibbs
03-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Definitely the least interested I have ever been. I'm kind of excited about that though. If they lose, there will be no pain as I expect it. If they win, it is all a big bonus.

Daver
03-09-2012, 02:44 AM
The only things I watch on TV anymore are baseball and an occasional NASCAR or NHRA event, no matter how much the Sox suck, I'll watch them, though with my schedule I won't watch them much.

chisoxfanatic
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
The face of the organization is now Adam Dunn. I feel like I'm watching a team that has Adam Dunn as their best player. So yeah... not excited.
You are the first, and probably the only one who thinks that. Until Paul Konerko hangs it up, he will be the face of the organization.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm finding it hard to get excited over this team. Too many underachievers are being depended upon to produce what?...mediocrity at best? I'll follow the games on my laptop outside, as I've done the past several years. I'll watch quite a few Saturday afternoon games, especially when I'm bartending.

Dan H
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I have no expectations for this season. I am hoping young players develop so the future will at least look a little better. But I am with some others on this thread. It doesn't appear that the organization knows what it really wants do, and it's hard to get excited about a team like that. I am looking forward to going back out to the park, I don't see the 2012 team doing much.

October26
03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
High. Even though I've had to work long hours this past week and slept little (being a techie is no fun sometimes), I am super excited about the return of White Sox baseball.

A couple of nights ago I dreamt that I was at a game at US Cellular Field and was high-fiving CSG85, manders, tebman & son of tebman, GoGoCrede, ChiSoxGirl & JB98, tstrike2000, BarbG, chisoxfanatic, Dan_H, Fielder & Mrs. FJones, and SMO & Mrs. SMO after a Konerko homer. It was awesome!

The Sox are my first love and my interest in other sports pales in comparison to watching White Sox baseball. Win or lose, I'll be watching or listening to every game this season; I'm ready for the season to start today. Let's Go White Sox!

MarySwiss
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I keep reminding myself that nobody expected much in 2005 either. I know, Pollyanna! :D:

ChiSoxGal85
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
High. Even though I've had to work long hours this past week and slept little (being a techie is no fun sometimes), I am super excited about the return of White Sox baseball.

A couple of nights ago I dreamt that I was at a game at US Cellular Field and was high-fiving CSG85, manders, tebman & son of tebman, GoGoCrede, ChiSoxGirl & JB98, tstrike2000, BarbG, chisoxfanatic, Dan_H, Fielder & Mrs. FJones, and SMO & Mrs. SMO after a Konerko homer. It was awesome!

The Sox are my first love and my interest in other sports pales in comparison to watching White Sox baseball. Win or lose, I'll be watching or listening to every game this season; I'm ready for the season to start today. Let's Go White Sox!
Hahaha! What a great dream - I hope it's prophetic!

First live spring game on TV today, and I'm gonna be on the road bringing my daughter home for spring break. :(: Oh, well...it's DVRed. I saw the starting lineup and it looks like the opening day lineup, except for Sale pitching. I didn't mention Sale earlier, but I am watching him (and Beckham) closely this season too, and have high hopes for them, as well as Morel.

:gosox:

Milw
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I've always had a hard time caring about spring training. Just like I can't get into the NFL preseason. Come April, I'll dive into the Sox head-first, but for now, I just can't get excited about meaningless games. Has nothing to do with expectations for the team, at least for me.

Harry Chappas
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I can see this team being absolutely awful or good enough to win the division if Detroit has problems. It'll probably fall somewhere in the middle and that's not real exciting territory, especially considering our relative lack of young prospects. As a fan, it's depressing to think about our minor-league system, which I've heard called the worst somebody has ever seen. For this reason, and the fact that many of the people responsible for the sorry state of our minor-league talent are still on the job, the future for the organization looks dark for years to come.

That said, it'll be interesting to watch Ventura manage. He knows the game. Hopefully his leadership will be strong.

That's the part I'm struggling with. Teams that aren't picked to contend but feature lots of young, talented, players and a strong farm system are generally more interesting than teams filled with overpriced vets and underachievers.

If the Sox fail to put together a surprisingly strong year, the only positive is that it may hasten the departure of the architect of our abysmal farm system but that doesn't mean I won't still follow the team closely or lose interest.

FielderJones
03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

We need to make this dream come true and set up a WSI group outing at the park!

GoGoCrede
03-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Agreed. Make it so.

roylestillman
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Not bad. A little sluggish, but except for trying to download video content, I'd say it's worth the five buck.

True and embarrassing story. After we got off the plane, we went over to Mesa to see Cubs and Mariners game. Got into a long conversation with a women in front of me about the 2011 Sox season. It waa apparent that she was a Sox fan and we had a real good back and forth about the initial problems with finding a closer and how it was looking like the same story again this year. We bantered back and forth for a while.... Then about the fifth inning she turns around with a laminated baseball card of Matt Thornton and says, "this is my son." I immediately tried to think what I said and she started laughing. Turns ou it was really Matt's mom.

DonnieDarko
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I like the idea of a WSI gathering at the Cell. Maybe we can all pitch in some cash and get a suite or box or something? Now that I actually have a real job, I can afford to pay my way in!

wassagstdu
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
This team is the kind of team I have always hated: unsound, flawed, untalented, uninteresting. So I tell myself. But I found myself listening to the Sox v Rangers yesterday, and in the 9th inning when the Rangers' announcer mistakenly said that DeAza had crashed the wall and was lying on the ground my heart sunk. I had immediate thoughts of Rios back in center and "uncomfortable" again, Viciedo back in right where he has no business, and the Sox back to 2011, minus my favorite pitcher and my favorite manager. After about 5 minutes the announcer corrected himself and I realized that, against my conscious intention, I do care about this team. Groan.

I think they will finish last for the next 3 years. I hope for a miracle. And I hope that instead of the grim reaper that I see when I think of KW, he will turn out to be incredibly lucky or smarter than I think.

And I feel for Brandon Short, though I am glad it was not DeAza who tore his labrium.

thomas35forever
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I hate to admit it, but I've been more excited about this team. I haven't gone on the team's website much since ST began and I used to go on it quite frequently. I'll still go over there plenty of times during the season, but I'll have to see if that interest maintains itself. Simply put, this team better turn some heads this year if they want the park to be 75 percent full on average.

jdm2662
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
My interest is the same as every year. I pay no attention to spring training or any fluff stories. Preseason in any sport is boring and almost pointless. I will watch when the season starts, and will go from there. I've found myself not treating sports like they are life since I have much more going on in my life. If the Sox win, I will be happy. If they lose, oh well. My life will go on. I vowed after the 2005 season not to get so worked up about everything. I almost had a heart attack, and vowed that it wasn't worth my risking my health over something I have no control of.

As for my expectations, I have none, like every year. I will give the team a chance. Usually when the Sox aren't expected to do anything, they usually surprise and do well. When they are expected to win 90+ games, they usually fall flat on their faces. Time will tell if the trend will continue. I only plan on going to one game this year, though.

ChiSoxGal85
03-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Not bad. A little sluggish, but except for trying to download video content, I'd say it's worth the five buck.

True and embarrassing story. After we got off the plane, we went over to Mesa to see Cubs and Mariners game. Got into a long conversation with a women in front of me about the 2011 Sox season. It waa apparent that she was a Sox fan and we had a real good back and forth about the initial problems with finding a closer and how it was looking like the same story again this year. We bantered back and forth for a while.... Then about the fifth inning she turns around with a laminated baseball card of Matt Thornton and says, "this is my son." I immediately tried to think what I said and she started laughing. Turns ou it was really Matt's mom.

Hoo boy. I hope you didn't rip Matt too much to his mom! Sounds like she was cool about it though.

GoGoCrede
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM

That is hysterical. What was your reaction? How critical did you get of Matt?

DirtySox
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Agreed. Make it so.

I'm in. Just got my first salaried job today. I can afford to go to Sox games now.

ChiSoxGal85
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm in. Just got my first salaried job today. I can afford to go to Sox games now.

Congratulations!

Golden Sox
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
The thing that nobody on this site is talking about is the teams lack of TOTAL OFFENSE. Everybody assumes that the team will have a bad year if Dunn, Rios and Beckham have another bad year. What worries me even more is the total lack of speed on the team. Other than DeAza, is there anybody on this team who can steal a base or even take the extra base? It looks to me as if we don't hit a home run, its going to take four hits in a inning to score a run.

DirtySox
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Congratulations!

:)

Wsoxmike59
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm a White Sox fan. I'm always interested. I hung in there from 68-70, following the team and hoping for a turnaround. From 68-89 exactly 6 winning seasons and I remained interested. I don't expect much this year but will still follow the team and hope for the best.

This is exactly how I feel. And hey who knows, now that Bud has added another WC team, the Sox might sneak in to the Playoffs.

roylestillman
03-10-2012, 12:40 AM
That is hysterical. What was your reaction? How critical did you get of Matt?
The only thing I can remember was in response to my friend questioning me about Danks being our ace, and I said that you shouldn't rely on his 2011 W-L record, because some of those early starts were ruined when they were trying to sort out the closer role. That's when she turned around and started talking to me.

She was laughing toward the end of the game, and I could tell was just having fun with me. I apologized for anything I might have said, but told her if she had been MacDougal's mother we would have come to blows. I told her I wished Matty the best and she said, "Sure, nice CYA."

Frater Perdurabo
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
The only thing I can remember was in response to my friend questioning me about Danks being our ace, and I said that you shouldn't rely on his 2011 W-L record, because some of those early starts were ruined when they were trying to sort out the closer role. That's when she turned around and started talking to me.

She was laughing toward the end of the game, and I could tell was just having fun with me. I apologized for anything I might have said, but told her if she had been MacDougal's mother we would have come to blows. I told her I wished Matty the best and she said, "Sure, nice CYA."

Is this when you started to blame the defensive miscues? Or we're you now afraid Juan Pierre's mom was sitting behind you?

Soxman219
03-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Won't be truly interested on the Sox until June.

Procol Harum
03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Low-medium. I'm eager to have baseball back and would like to see if the team begins to right itself over the course of the season. I'm not expecting much, but if the team could be hanging at .500 or better by the All-Star break my enthusiasm level will undoubtedly have kicked up a few notches--within the context of our recent past I'd then consider the season a success.

balke
03-10-2012, 12:00 PM
You are the first, and probably the only one who thinks that. Until Paul Konerko hangs it up, he will be the face of the organization.

Which might be next year. All I'm hearing so far is that Adam Dunn needs to do XYZ for the Sox to be contenders. He's the focus and hope of the organization as far as I'm concerned. They even split up the teams for that exhibition into team Konerko and team Dunn.

Team .300 31 105 .388
v.
Team .159 11 42 .292

October26
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Hahaha! What a great dream - I hope it's prophetic!
Agreed. Make it so.
I like the idea of a WSI gathering at the Cell. Maybe we can all pitch in some cash and get a suite or box or something? Now that I actually have a real job, I can afford to pay my way in!

Yes to all! The more the merrier. If someone else will organize an outing, I will make every effort to attend. I would organize one but my plate is pretty full at the moment.

Congrats on the new job, DirtySox, that’s great! :D:

This morning, I woke up thinking about the old Sox Supporters, who seemed to try and generate interest in the Sox back in the day. They made and displayed some really cool banners. Anybody else remember them? Are there any old members of the Sox Supporters here on WSI? In the 1970’s the Sox Supporters would sit in the first row of the outfield seats at Old Comiskey Park and drape their Sox Supporters banner over the left field wall. Even though I was a kid, I thought they were great. There would be banners like: ”Pitch to Zisk at Your own Risk”, “You’re in White Sox Country”, “Please Deposit Baseball Here”, and “Oh for the long one!” I did a search and found this thread on WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74527), and it brought back happy memories.

Golden Sox
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I try not to take exhibition games too seriously, but unfortunately this White Sox team isn't hitting in these exhibition games. There offense resembles the one we had in 2011. I don't sense any buzz towards this team yet. I'm under the impression there season ticket sales have gone down and there are alot of tickets for sale for Opening Day. I can't help but wonder if KW is going to pull off a major trade before Opening Day which might get us some hitters and create some buzz amongst its fanbase.

balke
03-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I try not to take exhibition games too seriously, but unfortunately this White Sox team isn't hitting in these exhibition games. There offense resembles the one we had in 2011. I don't sense any buzz towards this team yet. I'm under the impression there season ticket sales have gone down and there are alot of tickets for sale for Opening Day. I can't help but wonder if KW is going to pull off a major trade before Opening Day which might get us some hitters and create some buzz amongst its fanbase.

I highly doubt it. One player doesn't fix this team. Need to cut back on salary for a bit - and try to fill multiple holes going forward. There's really nothing to trade - unless they want to sell really low on Alexei

SI1020
03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes to all! The more the merrier. If someone else will organize an outing, I will make every effort to attend. I would organize one but my plate is pretty full at the moment.

Congrats on the new job, DirtySox, that’s great! :D:

This morning, I woke up thinking about the old Sox Supporters, who seemed to try and generate interest in the Sox back in the day. They made and displayed some really cool banners. Anybody else remember them? Are there any old members of the Sox Supporters here on WSI? In the 1970’s the Sox Supporters would sit in the first row of the outfield seats at Old Comiskey Park and drape their Sox Supporters banner over the left field wall. Even though I was a kid, I thought they were great. There would be banners like: ”Pitch to Zisk at Your own Risk”, “You’re in White Sox Country”, “Please Deposit Baseball Here”, and “Oh for the long one!” I did a search and found this thread on WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74527), and it brought back happy memories. Do you remember Oakland Who?

HomeFish
03-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Watching the Sox lose causes me pain, so I avoid the team when they are bad. I don't think I will be paying much attention this season, but I would love to be proven wrong.

TomBradley72
03-11-2012, 07:50 AM
- Expections are low- lack of team speed, a true #2 hitter, weak at catcher, thin bullpen, lack of much in the minors to address those gaps.

- Interest level is high- seeing how Ventura and the new staff impact the team, young talent like Viciedo, Morel, Sale, etc., their potential IF Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Beckham turn it around, the red uniforms from the early 70's on Sundays, Paul Konerko, baseball is by far my favorite sport, and the White Sox are by far my favorite team of any team I follow in any sport.

LongLiveFisk
03-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Still excited, as always just because it's White Sox baseball, even though expectations aren't too high. But I figure, if you don't expect too much, you can't really be let down, only pleasantly surprised. :smile:

Either way it will be interesting to see how Robin develops as a manager.

October26
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Do you remember Oakland Who?

I barely remember that. Was that another banner? Or was it one of the chants? Were you one of the Sox Supporters?

I remember the Sox Supporters used to sit out there and they'd start chanting away. When we attended games at Comiskey Park, we usually sat pretty far from home plate, as those were the only seats we could afford. One time when we were at a game, I said to my dad: "Can I go over near the Sox Supporters and chant with them?" He responded: "No, you cannot. You're still a kid, and are too young to hang out with those borrachos (drunks)!"

My father and I still laugh about this story today and the fact that I have always wanted to be a White Sox groupie. :tongue:

MetroPD
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I'll always be a White Sox fan and continue to watch them, but just from watching the last few spring training games, our hitting is going to be attrocious once again.

Lip Man 1
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Offense has been lacking so far that's for sure.

Lip

shingo10
03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I'll always be a White Sox fan and continue to watch them, but just from watching the last few spring training games, our hitting is going to be attrocious once again.

Fear not, it's only spring training. I think once the season starts there are going to be better AB's and better focus. Although I must admit I was really looking forward to not having another crappy spring. The last two years have shown that a crappy March can definitely produce a horrific April and May. Hope that's not the case again. Slow starts absolutely kill franchises. Kill the attendance, interest, trade value, ect.

Mingo
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
It seems kind of familiar with the pre-Ozzie White Sox days - to me the expectations feel about right or normal for the White Sox.

rdwj
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
My interest level is high. I think this team might be a lot better than expected. As long as they're competitive, I'll be happy and with the extra wildcard spot, you never know. If everything goes right, they just might be in the running when all is said and done.

rcescato
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Not interested at all!! But i will still watch from the outside. And hope a little but 90+ losses is realistic.

The Immigrant
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I want so badly to be interested in this team, but I just saw 5 minutes of a spring webcast that killed some of my enthusiasm.

It featured (i) a walk by Fukudome (NICE, walks are good!), (ii) an opposite field single by Alexei (SITUATIONAL HITTING!), (iii) a terrible strikeout by Viciedo that failed to move up the runners (FIRE WALKER!), and (iv) a GIDP by Tyler Flowers. That's when I turned off the webcast.

DonnieDarko
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I want so badly to be interested in this team, but I just saw 5 minutes of a spring webcast that killed some of my enthusiasm.

It featured (i) a walk by Fukudome (NICE, walks are good!), (ii) an opposite field single by Alexei (SITUATIONAL HITTING!), (iii) a terrible strikeout by Viciedo that failed to move up the runners (FIRE WALKER!), and (iv) a GIDP by Tyler Flowers. That's when I turned off the webcast.

Man, I thought that Peavy giving up 6 ER in 2 1/3 IP would have done it for you. :P

But yeah, offense doesn't look improved from last year so far. Still early in Spring, of course, but I can't help but to feel dread slowly creeping back into my thoughts.

rockinrobin23
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Iam really excited for the season to start. Iam a stay at home dad so i have listen to every game so far...I see a bunch of things going good Beckham is hitting the ball well Moral crushing the ball as well to. D for the most part has been pretty soild...Pitching has me a little concerned but its spring the ball flys in zona..Maybe iam a glass is half full guy but iam seeing some good things going on...

MARTINMVP
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
My interest has been low. I feel the Robin hiring is such a minor league move, and with expectations rather low, I haven't been in much of a hurry this off-season for baseball to return (as a Packers and Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was truly enjoying football season up until January).

I have slight room for optimism, but I am not allowing myself to be too optimistic. I don't expect to beat the Tigers or any other surprise team in the Central... but if Dunn can snap out of his ailment from last year, Gordon starts to get his swing back, and if the younger guys continue to progress, that makes me more optimistic for the future.

And it also seems like I am now going to opening day (this news just literally came to me about five minutes ago)... that is certainly going to raise my interest/excitement level.

amsteel
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm excited to tailgate and hang out at the park, I'm just not that excited to see the product on the field.

soxfanatlanta
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
My expectations are very low; there are way too many "ifs" for this team to compete. My interest is high - it's baseball for crying out loud!

kufram
03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Iam really excited for the season to start. Iam a stay at home dad so i have listen to every game so far...I see a bunch of things going good Beckham is hitting the ball well Moral crushing the ball as well to. D for the most part has been pretty soild...Pitching has me a little concerned but its spring the ball flys in zona..Maybe iam a glass is half full guy but iam seeing some good things going on...

my new daughter watching the Blackhawks with me...She is named after Walter Payton...

Naming your daughter Walter is a high price for her to pay, isn't it?

SI1020
03-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I barely remember that. Was that another banner? Or was it one of the chants? Were you one of the Sox Supporters?

I remember the Sox Supporters used to sit out there and they'd start chanting away. When we attended games at Comiskey Park, we usually sat pretty far from home plate, as those were the only seats we could afford. One time when we were at a game, I said to my dad: "Can I go over near the Sox Supporters and chant with them?" He responded: "No, you cannot. You're still a kid, and are too young to hang out with those borrachos (drunks)!"

My father and I still laugh about this story today and the fact that I have always wanted to be a White Sox groupie. :tongue: It was a banner that was popular in the heat of the 72 pennant race. I was not in the Sox Supporters, but was a pretty regular fixture at the ball park in those carefree days of my youth. That was a nice story by the way. Good work by dad keeping his daughter away from the riff raff. :D:

salty99
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
With 2 little ones running around now, this will probably be the lowest amount of games I attend in 10 years.

Smokey Burg
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Glad to have baseball back. Hard to do any work around the garage or yard without the radio on listening to the game. However, not expecting a lot but hoping.

rockinrobin23
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Naming your daughter Walter is a high price for her to pay, isn't it?
hahaha no not walter. her name is not walter..its Payton