PDA

View Full Version : Thought I had on Peavy

Moses_Scurry
03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
There was one of those fluffy "best-shape-of-his-life" articles about Jake Peavy in the Indianapolis Star this morning, and it got me thinking. How much would it suck if he had an unbelievable comeback year this year, but because of Rios, Dunn, etc., the Sox still finished a distant third? It would mean that they lost all that money from the past two wasted years, and there would be no way to re-sign him after his big comeback.

DonnieDarko
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
How much would it suck? It would suck horribly.

Next question.

Zisk77
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
As my grandfather used to say, " quit thinking, you'll weaken the ballclub."

rainbow6
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I think if Jake has that type of year, and the team is not contending, he is gone at the trading deadline....hopefully for something of moderate value. I was just thinking yesterday that, assuming Detroit is as good as everyone assumes they are and the Sox can't compete this year, the first few months are still monumentally important if some individual players can have great starts. Thorton, Floyd, Danks, Peavey, Crain or AJ may be dealt for some prospects of value.

The only way the season will be a total disaster to me is if we don't contend and the players listed above perform so poorly that any trade value is diminished.

DumpJerry
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
There was one of those fluffy "best-shape-of-his-life" articles about Jake Peavy in the Indianapolis Star this morning, and it got me thinking. How much would it suck if he had an unbelievable comeback year this year, but because of Rios, Dunn, etc., the Sox still finished a distant third? It would mean that they lost all that money from the past two wasted years, and there would be no way to re-sign him after his big comeback.
A. There is a team option for 2013.
B. No way? Why? Is there a law against it?

Moses_Scurry
03-07-2012, 09:52 PM

I'm going on the assumption that somebody would offer him some insanely stupid contract that the Sox wouldn't match. I also forgot about the option. I guess it wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

slavko
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Unbelievable comebacks are called unbelievable for a reason.:wink:

gosox41
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

It would suck. On the flip side, Peavy would be trade bait if he bounced back this year.

Bob

doublem23
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Come on, man, are you serious? It's obvious what he meant.

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2012, 06:06 AM
It would suck. On the flip side, Peavy would be trade bait if he bounced back this year.

I would be very happy if we got some talent in return for him.

SI1020
03-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Even if Peavy rebounds any sane GM would look at him as a major risk, given his medical history.

DumpJerry
03-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Come on, man, are you serious? It's obvious what he meant.
Given that he said he forgot about the team option, it isn't obvious, Carnac.

kittle42
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM

No, it was still obvious.

Rohan
03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm not ready to make the assumption that the White Sox are going to be bad this year a certainty. I think that the Sox still have as good a chance as any other team to have a good year.

So I'm not ready to make Peavy's comeback year the variable and the White Sox sucking the constant.

doublem23
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM

It's still pretty obvious

Harry Chappas
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm going on the assumption that somebody would offer him some insanely stupid contract that the Sox wouldn't match. I also forgot about the option. I guess it wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

I think Jake signed his last "insanely stupid contract." Too many question marks, age, etc. for a GM to roll the dice on him even if he does have a "bounce back" year.

DumpJerry
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
No, it was still obvious.

It's still pretty obvious
How is it "obvious" that someone will offer him a large contract, assuming that is what the OP meant when he said it would be impossible to sign him to an extension?

Peavy would need two monster years ('12 and '13) in a row to get that contract. The OP, mistakenly though Peavy would only need on year ('12) to get to that level.

SI1020
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
How is it "obvious" that someone will offer him a large contract, assuming that is what the OP meant when he said it would be impossible to sign him to an extension?

Peavy would need two monster years ('12 and '13) in a row to get that contract. The OP, mistakenly though Peavy would only need on year ('12) to get to that level. I agree. Two years in a row where he approaches the level of success he had in San Diego.

doublem23
03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Peavy would need two monster years ('12 and '13) in a row to get that contract. The OP, mistakenly though Peavy would only need on year ('12) to get to that level.

OK so it's clear you understood what the OP meant, just because you disagree with him doesn't mean you need to play stupid and pretend like the Sox can't sign him because it's against the law or whatever bull****.

And if Peavy has a big bounce-back year, I wouldn't rule out the chance that one team out there goes nuts. Teams overpay for pitching. The Rangers just payed $110 M+ for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in America. The Reds unloaded several of their best prospects or a 24-year-old with 2 full years of MLB experience. ****, the Nationals gave Edwin Jackson $11 M this year and he's been awful for most of his entire career. Peavy's still got the name and pedigree to command a big deal if he has a healthy, "unbelievable comeback year" as the OP suggested, I'd be willing to bet that one of the 30 teams in the Majors would do offer him a pretty fat contract.

TommyGavinFloyd
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I hope this does happen, so we can trade him for something instead of buying him out. No way we are picking up that option next year.

Moses_Scurry
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I guess I was just reading the fluff piece, and it reinforced how much the Sox have spent on the guy with little to no results. It would stink if his stint with the Sox was a "career rehabilitation" period so he could resurrect himself and win 19 games with the Yankees in 2013. It would bring back memories of Swisher and David Wells.

RCWHITESOX
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I guess I was just reading the fluff piece, and it reinforced how much the Sox have spent on the guy with little to no results. It would stink if his stint with the Sox was a "career rehabilitation" period so he could resurrect himself and win 19 games with the Yankees in 2013. It would bring back memories of Swisher and David Wells.

I don't get It.The season has not even started and were all talking gloom and doom.Just maybe this season will be similar to 2005. As for Peavy I hope he has a great year along with Dunn and others.Why worry about this until midseason

kittle42
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Just maybe this season will be similar to 2005.

The White Sox Management Mantra!