PDA

View Full Version : Ward

Jerry_Manuel
07-21-2002, 01:36 PM
Why is Ward on the hot seat?

Lofton: Had a hot month, old, bad, hasn't had a great year in quite awhile.
Conclusion: Not his fault.

Durham: He's always been a streaky hitter. Always had the home run swing.
Conclusion: Durhams' not changing for Ward or anyone.

Thomas: Needs Hriniak, period. Had a good year in 2000 after seeing him. Had he not seen him, would've bee bad Frank.
Ward: Didn't work with him last year due to the injury to Frank. Seems like Frank tunes him out.

Magglio: What can you say? He's good.
Conclusion: Good with or without Ward.

Konerko: See Magglio
Conclusion: See Magglio

Valentin: Had a great year in 2000, because he was hitting in front of Frank. Saw a lot of fastballs and took advantage. 2001 he didn't hit in front of Frank and wasn't as well. Same as this year.
Conclusion: He's performing like has his whole career.

Lee: Weird case here. I think if he got away from Ward he'd do well.
Conclusion: Should work with someone else

Royce: Do we even need to discuss this? I didn't think so.
Conclusion: Bad. Don't go if Jesus was hitting coach he's still bad.

Sandy: Old, bad, hurt. I think we can all agree he needs to retire.
Conclusion: Why should Ward be blamed for a guy who needs to retire? Alomar is done and has been done.

RedPinStripes
07-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Durham: He's always been a streaky hitter. Always had the home runs swing.

Thomas: Needs Hriniak, period. Had a good year in 2000 after seeing him. Had he not seen him, would've bee bad Frank.
Ward: Didn't work with him last year due to the injury to Frank. Seems like Frank tunes him out.

Valentin: Had a great year in 2000, because he was hitting in front of Frank. Saw a lot of fastballs and took advantage. 2001 he didn't hit in front of Frank and wasn't as well. Same as this year.

Conclusion: Why should Ward be blamed for a guy who needs to retire? Alomar is done and has been done.

Good points. I don't think Von Joshua should have been fired though. He was fired because he fell out of the "circle of friends." by opening his mouth.

Jerry_Manuel
07-21-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I don't think Von Joshua should have been fired though. He was fired because he fell out of the "circle of friends." by opening his mouth.

That's why Nardi still has a job. You never hear him in the papers taking shots at anyone. He's right there for ya on the mound swearing at Garland though.

RedPinStripes
07-21-2002, 01:48 PM

That's why Nardi still has a job. You never here him in the papers taking shots at anyone. He's right there for ya on the mound swearing at Garland though.

Exactly.

The Chicago White Sox aka: "The most disfunctional family on the south side."

duke of dorwood
07-21-2002, 03:29 PM
I've never been with a major league team, but could he be the reason we NEVER do anything against pitchers we see the first time?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I've never been with a major league team, but could he be the reason we NEVER do anything against pitchers we see the first time?

Someone needs to be accountable for advanced scouting, and TEACHING IT to the hitters before each game. If Ward isn't responsible for getting reliable information, he is at least responsible for making sure the hitters are prepared before the game.

SOMEBODY is falling down on the job.

Daver
07-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Someone needs to be accountable for advanced scouting, and TEACHING IT to the hitters before each game. If Ward isn't responsible for getting reliable information, he is at least responsible for making sure the hitters are prepared before the game.

:von

I'll just sit back and laugh thank you.

MisterB
07-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

The Sox have had that particular problem for years, through multiple hitting coaches and managers. I think it's a problem with our advance scouting. We might be so reliant on our ML advance scouting reports that if we face someone who hasn't been in the majors long enough to scout extensively, we are clueless as how to approach him. I wonder if the Sox even have minor league advance scouts.

Paulwny
07-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Are you sure we have advance scouts ($$$$) or is JR watching other teams on his dish?

Keystone Combo
07-21-2002, 05:23 PM

Durham: He's always been a streaky hitter. Always had the home run swing.

Maybe the White Sox should get Walt Hriniak back to help with the hitters...... or is that swallowing too much pride? Afterall the hitters on the White Sox have alot to be proud of don't they?

Daver
07-21-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo

Maybe the White Sox should get Walt Hriniak back to help with the hitters...... or is that swallowing too much pride? Afterall the hitters on the White Sox have alot to be proud of don't they?

Hriniak was let go because everyone aside from Frank hated him,and he would ruin Magglio and Paul.