PDA

View Full Version : Classic Wrigley Crud

Spiff
08-07-2001, 10:35 PM
Steve McMichael of all people was supposed to sing take me out to the ballgame but instead he said he "was going to have a talk with the home plate umpire" because he called Ron Coomer out at home. The umpire then threw him out of the game. Seriously.

Then in the bottom of the 9th Gutierrez falls down rounding third but scores anyways because Girardi got caught in a rundown.

What a joke.

Procol Harum
08-07-2001, 10:38 PM
That last play where Gutierrez scored the winning run was like something you'd see in a Little League game--but not a Pony League game--the players have better fundamentals there. The stinkin' Rockies looked stupider than we normally do in the field.

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 10:38 PM
He sang the 7th inning strech if I am not mistaken. I just saw an interview on the news with him where they said he was thrown out of the game by the ump. That is so bs, the ump can have fans ejected from the park what the hell is that?

Spiff
08-07-2001, 10:43 PM
haha jerry nobody's gonna know what you mean since i prolly edited it while you were replying. but yeh i said national anthem originally b/c my mind wandered while i was typing it. then about 2 minutes later i was like oh *@$% i said national anthem didn't i.

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
haha jerry nobody's gonna know what you mean since i prolly edited it while you were replying. but yeh i said national anthem originally b/c my mind wandered while i was typing it. then about 2 minutes later i was like oh *@$% i said national anthem didn't i.

If Mongo was singing the national anthem the Cubs have some major problems!

:barney&sham
We will sing together.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-07-2001, 11:02 PM
That was awesome. That ump did suck horribly. It was angel hernandez who sucks anyway, plus it's hot and muggy tonight so he was obviously trying to get the game over.

The Wrigley field "guest conductor" thing is a travesty which should have been done away with ages ago - and perhaps they will after this incident - but that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. To actually see a crowd member have free reign over the PA system to criticize a sports official in the middle of the game, it was great! The WGN cameras showed Hernandez staring up at the press-box, muttering under his breath. Then the crowd gets all riled up and starts booing, then Mongo lets out a belch and says "yeah, BOOOO!!!!". OMG it was funny.

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard
That was awesome. That ump did suck horribly. It was angel hernandez who sucks anyway, plus it's hot and muggy tonight so he was obviously trying to get the game over.

The Wrigley field "guest conductor" thing is a travesty which should have been done away with ages ago - and perhaps they will after this incident - but that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. To actually see a crowd member have free reign over the PA system to criticize a sports official in the middle of the game, it was great! The WGN cameras showed Hernandez staring up at the press-box, muttering under his breath. Then the crowd gets all riled up and starts booing, then Mongo lets out a belch and says "yeah, BOOOO!!!!". OMG it was funny.

I didn't even see this now that is funny!!!!
:)

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2001, 12:28 AM
I guess we have a case here of a generation gap between me and the previous posters. I hope MLB fines the Cubs. They let someone like McMichael, who everyone knows is a loose cannon, have a live field mic, they are responsible for what he does. It's no different than if the regular PA announcer started criticizing the umps.

Belching into the mic. Oh, yeah, there's big time humor.

Spiff
08-08-2001, 12:39 AM
I don't think it was right either.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-08-2001, 12:47 AM
Nellie, I understand where you're coming from. But this ump was HORRIBLE. I mean, the only reason I was watching the game was to root for the Rockies, and I was absolutely flabbergasted at this guy's strike zone. That is the kind of thing that absolutely grates on me as a fan of the game of baseball. You've got these athletes up there busting there butts to do the best they can and some ump pulls that crap? I'm sorry, but he deserved everything he got.

And, the absolute worse thing an ump should ever do is call attention to himself. When these guys try to insert themselves into a game it is absolutely ridiculous. As far as I am concerned they should be automatons who sit there and call balls and strikes. The fact that I even know who Angel Hernandez is, is a joke. Why do I know who he is? Because he has such a horrible reputation! That's not good.

After McMichael said the first thing he should have just ignored it. But he took off his mask, turned around and stared up into the press box. I'm sorry, but that is just asking for trouble. It was only then that McMichael did the "Boooo!" thing. It never would have happened if the stupid ump didn't challenge him like that.

harwar
08-08-2001, 09:43 AM
That game was a total joke,but no matter what we say about the dam cubs(and no one hates the cubs more than me)they just keep winning.Its painfully obvious that this is their year,when you win games the way they do.If they go to the World Series i'm,well i don't even want to think about it.What i nightmare for Sox fans that would be.

THE_HOOTER
08-08-2001, 09:52 AM
Hey Nellie,

I think you need to relax a little bit. If Mongo was singing for the Sox you would have loved it.

I wish we had that intensity at Comiskey Park.

doublem23
08-08-2001, 09:54 AM
There's a fine line between intensity and stupidity.

So your saying we should all attack the opposing team's bullpen, steal their hats, and then wonder why they started choking us?

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 10:13 AM
The whole thing is a complete joke. Yes, it was a badly blown call in a tight game, but for the equivalent of the PA announcer to start sticking it to the ump during the game, that does cross some border, even if it was entertaining. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of the whole nauseating guest-conductor crap, which MAYBE should have stuck around for a year after Harry croaked, not in perpetuity.

I did my level best last night to avoid any mentions of the Flubbies, but the way the entire Channel 5 anchor team was beaming and glowing as they segued into the Sports segment almost made me lose my dinner. And this morning, flipping around the dial on my way to work, I hear a snippet of friggin' Eric & Kathy on the Mix, and THEY'RE raving about the game last night. Guess I'll just have to keep on NPR until September blows over, right?

They haven't won squat yet, yet this city is behaving as if Game 7 is just around the corner. Nauseating, absolutely nauseating. Did this crap happen last year with the Sox? I didn't think so.

THE_HOOTER
08-08-2001, 10:13 AM
I was refering to last night, not the night they took Kreuter's hat.

I have been to Wrigley many times, and to Old/New Comiskey several times.

The crowds are rougher at Comiskey when there are 30-40,000 people there.

Ever been to a Bear game or a Hawks game? Rough crowds- that's just part of Chicago.

Saying that it is a Wrigley Field problem is wrong- they just get the full house which gets people going.

Last night was bad for only one reason: The Cubs won.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2001, 12:00 AM
No, Hooter, I wouldn't have been pleased if it was Mongo singing for the Sox, not when he is taunting an umpire on the PA system.

I have been to Wrigley many times, and to Old/New Comiskey several times.

I think that says a lot. Many is more than several. The last time I was at Wrigley, I was 13 years old, and a trip to a ballgame was my reward for being a patrolboy. It got me a day out of school. I rooted for the Milwaukee Braves.

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 08:08 AM
I've been to Wrigley a bunch too... I don't have a problem going to Wrigley, it's a nice way to drink away an afternoon...

I do have a problem with a team sanctioned PA announcer going live to rip the umps during a game. It isn't right, it isn't funny and the flubbies should be fined heavily. It's a joke...

As a Bears fan, I shake my head smile and say, "Ha ha... that mongo... what a goof."

As a baseball fan I say, "Hang the flubbies out to dry and if it ever happens again, toss Don Baylor and the starting 9 out of the game." Stupid flubbies... umps have loooooong memories and lots of little umpire friends with looooooong memories... hopefully this comes back to bite them in the ass a few times. Maybe they will have a big game against Houston down the road and that same umpire will be calling the game...

There are rules against that kind of behavior and with good reason too...

THE_HOOTER
08-09-2001, 08:43 AM
I agree with your statements about umpires, and that Mongo should have been kicked out for making fun of the ump.

My point was do not make this a Wrigley Field thing because I have heard/ seen a lot worse at Bears games, Hawks games, and Sox games.

I like it that way. I like a rowdy, enthusiastic atmosphere. That's a Chicago crowd.

If anybody here was ever at the Old Stadium, you know what I am talking about. Chicago fans have always been rough, intoxicated, and tough on the umps/refs.

I though it was hilarious.

Chisox353014
08-09-2001, 09:22 AM
My point was do not make this a Wrigley Field thing because I have heard/ seen a lot worse at Bears games, Hawks games, and Sox games. I like it that way. I like a rowdy, enthusiastic atmosphere. That's a Chicago crowd. If anybody here was ever at the Old Stadium, you know what I am talking about. Chicago fans have always been rough, intoxicated, and tough on the umps/refs.

It's one thing for the fans to be drunk and rowdy and yelling at the ump, but when it's a team official (and that's what Lard-Asss becomes when he's holding the PA mike) doing it, that's a whole other story. It's crossing the line of good sportsmanship, period. The old Stadium certainly got rowdy, but I never remember the PA announcer ripping a linesman or anything like that. Bottom line is it was a totally classless move and the Scrubs should be fined for it. Of course, like everything else negative the Flubs do (the hat-stealing, Tavarez's raging homophobia, etc.) it will probably be glossed over by the world in general.

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 09:42 AM
It's one thing for the fans to be drunk and rowdy and yelling at the ump, but when it's a team official (and that's what Lard-Asss becomes when he's holding the PA mike) doing it, that's a whole other story. It's crossing the line of good sportsmanship, period. The old Stadium certainly got rowdy, but I never remember the PA announcer ripping a linesman or anything like that. Bottom line is it was a totally classless move and the Scrubs should be fined for it.

Exactly. At Comiskey, they don't even show replays if they are close and the ump's decision could be considered questionable. It doesn't even have to be definitive that the ump was wrong, before they don't show it, merely close to being wrong...

If Mongo had stood in the front row right behind home plate and let the ump have it verbally for the last 3 innings, no one would care. When he picks up a mike it changes the whole picture...

Teams don't rip umps, it's as simple as that...

As to this not being a Wrigley thing, I agree and disagree...

I agree because I don't think the flubbies expected it, nor do I think they officially sanctioned it. They have started to give the quest singer a speech about not ripping the umps over the PA system, so at least they are doing something (short of not doing the guest thing at all).

I disagree, because this is exactly the type of crap you expect at the world's largest frat party. You get 35K drunk fans and then hand one of them a mike and say, "Go ahead, talk to the crowd, sing a little song, get the place fired up, make them remember Harry.Keep the sheep happy and coming back." This doesn't happen anywhere else. Not one other stadium makes such a big deal about keeping the tradition of a dead announcer alive. It's not a baseball game, it's not a baseball stadium, its an event, a happening, a party at a shrine... and the shrine isn't about baseball, it is about Harry. The fact that the flubbies are having a good year is a bonus...

Can you see this happening anywhere else? A team in the middle of a pennant chase gets a lousy call that in the end doesn't cost them a thing, but mid way through the game the home team opens up the microphone and lets a drunk start ripping the umps? NY? Seattle? Oakland? Boston? Atlanta? Houston? St Louis? No, because there it is all about the baseball and blown calls are part of the game... At Wrigley the fans expect to lose, so when a blown call goes against them it is a conspiracy to keep the lovable losers in place., They expect it, they want it they crave it and Mongo merely fed into all the feelings of inadequacy the fans have.

Want the final word on this? Let's ask harry what he thinks...

:harry&jimmy
"That's not what baseball is all about... disgraceful..."

Kilroy
08-09-2001, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard
Nellie, I understand where you're coming from. But this ump was HORRIBLE...

I'm sorry, but he deserved everything he got...

Sorry, but I have to disagree completely with you. The umpires strike zone was liberal, but it was the same for both teams. It's on the players to adjust to it. Was it a bad strike zone? Yes. But it was the same for everyone.

If you think that the ump deserved what he got, then you have a problem. After that gigantic ass McMichael incited the crowd, Hernandez was nearly hit with a golf ball thrown at him by a Cub fan. So if that would have hit him and dropped him right there on the field he would have deserved it? I hardly think so.

And to Voodoochile:

That thing about replays not being shown is not a Comiskey thing its an MLB thing. Its mandated that close plays not be shown on video screens so that the crowd won't become incensed if the replay shows the ump blew it.

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 11:28 AM
That thing about replays not being shown is not a Comiskey thing its an MLB thing. Its mandated that close plays not be shown on video screens so that the crowd won't become incensed if the replay shows the ump blew it

I did not know that, but I totally agree with the rule. That is why this is the Mongo situation is so bad. It is the equivalant of showing a replay of the missed call. Mongo sees a replay, which shows the ump missed the call and then he gets on the mike and tells everyone the ump missed the call (not in so many words). It may have seemed funny, but it was bad for baseball...

Kilroy
08-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I did not know that, but I totally agree with the rule...

A couple of seasons ago, the White Sox invited season ticket holders to participate in focus groups to find out what Sox fans liked and didn't like. I asked Rob Gallas about the replays and he told me. I think MLB is a bit too anal on that one. Unless they just don't want umpires yelled at at all. Its one thing to give an ump hell, its another to go after him. They show replays in football and basketball with no problems.

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Unless they just don't want umpires yelled at at all. Its one thing to give an ump hell, its another to go after him. They show replays in football and basketball with no problems.

Football has replay, and the Bears never showed a replay while it was under review. Basketball misses so many calls it isn't an issue, one basket rarely effects the outcome of a game and the refs tend to swallow their whistles down the stretch of close important games.

In baseball it is different. Every play requires an umpire decision. Teams that wave an official's mistakes in the air for all to see deserve to get roasted for it. It is the heat of battle and players get upset (Robbie Alomar). By keeping the game on the field and not letting it become "the ump was definitely wrong" during the game you keep the games cleaner. The officials don't get upset and take it out on the team that made them look like fools. The players don't get upset and start taking it out on an ump. It is better for everyone concerned. Players shouldn't be thinking about how they got screwed anyway, they should be concentrating on the rest of the game, not what happened 2 innings ago.

Bottom line, officials are human. Humans make mistakes. Replay as a tool to aid the officials can be beneficial, but when it is used to belittle the people who do their best to keep the games clean, it denegrates the game and the people who play, coach and call them...

doublem23
08-09-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I've been to Wrigley a bunch too... I don't have a problem going to Wrigley, it's a nice way to drink away an afternoon...

Huh. I've never been to Wrigley Field. I wonder what it's like???

Daver
08-09-2001, 07:47 PM
Picture in your mind a urinal in an Ozark mountain biker bar that has been left uncleaned for decades,and that describes the smell of Wrigley Feild.

doublem23
08-09-2001, 10:44 PM
Ahhh... all the pleasures of a washroom. No wonder idiots can't get inside fast enough.