PDA

View Full Version : White Sox/Illini form Partnership

Harry Potter
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, February 29, 2012

WHITE SOX AND THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
TEAM UP IN PROMOTIONAL EVENTS

CHICAGO – The White Sox and the University of Illinois have formed a cross-promotional relationship where Illini fans will receive special offers to selected games, suites, group sales, and patio parties.

The White Sox also will play host to a special “Illini Day” on Friday, June 1 vs. the Mariners at 7:10 p.m. Fans will have the opportunity to participate in a pregame parade and wear their orange while enjoying a trademark fireworks display after the game.

"There are a lot of sports fans in the Chicago area, Central Illinois and Northwest Indiana who root for the Fighting Illini and the White Sox,” said Brooks Boyer, White Sox senior vice president of marketing and ticket sales. “To build a bridge between Champaign and Chicago, bringing the fan bases together, makes sense as we both open our gates to allow more fans to enjoy our games."

“We are very excited to announce our relationship with the White Sox,” UI athletics director Mike Thomas said. “We feel this will increase Illinois exposure in Chicago, and allow some great opportunities for fans to experience exciting baseball at U.S. Cellular Field.”

In addition, the White Sox fans will receive special offers and incentives for Illini sporting events. To purchase tickets for “Illini Night” or for more information, fans should visit www.whitesox.com/illini (http://www.whitesox.com/illini) or call (312) 674-1000.

DSpivack
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
It warms my heart that the White Sox will find a job for Bruce Weber this summer.

eriqjaffe
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
it warms my heart that the white sox will find a job for bruce weber this summer.Designated Hitter?

doublem23
02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
:rolling:

EMachine10
02-29-2012, 03:48 PM
A little strange, but Oskee Wow Wow!

DumpJerry
02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
“We are very excited to announce our relationship with the White Sox,” UI athletics director Mike Thomas said. “We feel this will increase Illinois exposure in Chicago.
Yeah, nobody in Chicago has ever heard of the University of Illinois.

JB98
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Agreed. Ugh.

They are now, for some reason. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Illinois athletics doesn't get much exposure in Chicago, that's for sure. Games are relegated to 560-AM locally, while schools like NIU and DePaul are on 670-AM.

Part of the problem, or course, is that Illinois is mediocre (at best) in revenue sports.

I don't think there's much question Illinois needs to raise its profile in Chicago. The school can accomplish that by 1) Winning more and 2) Forming partnerships like this one with the White Sox.

As a White Sox fan and an Illinois alum, I give this move a :thumbsup:.

doublem23
02-29-2012, 10:44 PM
I hope this gives the Sox a little more exposure in Central Illinois, as well. Once you get south of I-80, only a few brave souls out there who care about the Sox.

jamokes
03-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Have the Chief show up and the boosters will show up.:bandance:

EMachine10
03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I hope this gives the Sox a little more exposure in Central Illinois, as well. Once you get south of I-80, only a few brave souls out there who care about the Sox.

This is true. It's Cards and Cubs country down here. I would say the vast majority (nearly all) of Sox fans are Chicago transplants down here for school.

Zisk77
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Man the dufus cubs fans are coming out of the woodwork on the illini message board bashing the sox. Shockingly, the touting their attendence trophy as evidence of their superiority. :scratch:

Chez
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Man the dufus cubs fans are coming out of the woodwork on the illini message board bashing the sox. Shockingly, the touting their attendence trophy as evidence of their superiority. :scratch:

Pfft, message boards. Only losers and morons post on message boards.

mahagga73
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
There is more of us than you think.I go to several games a year with Sox fans from downstate here.

mahagga73
03-05-2012, 10:05 PM
This is true. It's Cards and Cubs country down here. I would say the vast majority (nearly all) of Sox fans are Chicago transplants down here for school.
not true.There is a fairly decent group of downstate Sox Fans here.I was born in Bloomington,went to the Sox caravan every year as a kid,met a lot of the old Sox players from the 80's and don't give 2 you now what's about the Cardinals or the Cubs,though I root for the Cardinals over the Cubs obviously.My uncle is from Bloomington and took me to Sox games as a kid at the old park.The Cards are popular because they win,and the Cubs because of Harry Carry and WGN.

Nellie_Fox
03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I think there might be more older Sox fans in central Illinois because Indianapolis used to be a Sox farm team.

doublem23
03-06-2012, 03:55 AM
There is more of us than you think.I go to several games a year with Sox fans from downstate here.

I don't know, I lived in Peoria for 7 years and my feeling was the area is dominated by Cubs and Cardinals fans. There was a small uptick in interest in the Sox during Jim Thome's (Peoria native) years, but overall I got the distinct feeling that though there are definitely some Sox fans downstate, the vast majority of baseball fans prefer the Cubs and Cardinals.

SephClone89
03-06-2012, 05:05 AM
I don't know, I lived in Peoria for 7 years and my feeling was the area is dominated by Cubs and Cardinals fans. There was a small uptick in interest in the Sox during Jim Thome's (Peoria native) years, but overall I got the distinct feeling that though there are definitely some Sox fans downstate, the vast majority of baseball fans prefer the Cubs and Cardinals.

Absolutely concur.

chisoxfanatic
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Yep...I went to ISU from 00-04 and knew of only one non-ISU student who was a Sox fan! Not much Sox stuff were in the bars either, nor the sports section of stores. Heck, even the Pantagraph didn't give the Sox as much coverage.

nut_stock
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM

I'm one of the few brave souls south of not only I80 but I70 too :)

doublem23
03-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm one of the few brave souls south of not only I80 but I70 too :)

:tiphat: Keep holding down the fort, good sir.

thomas35forever
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
It warms my heart that the White Sox will find a job for Bruce Weber this summer.
Is the Sodfather looking for a new tarp puller?

gobears1987
03-07-2012, 08:48 AM

They can keep their attendance trophy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Chicago_White_Sox_World_Series.jpg