PDA

View Full Version : Paulie on 2011 and 2012

rockinrobin23
02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7625364/paul-konerko-distractions-cost-chicago-white-sox-games good read i like the fact that paulie is being a little more vocal, setting the tone for the younger guys and the whole team..

bluedemon45
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I love Paulie. I love that for the first time in years we don't have the off the field drama....

But the reason this team was bad last year was because of Dunn and Rios. Yes the riff raff was distracting- but it didn't account for .160 and Rios being a lazy bum.

shingo10
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
That was probably the most controversial Konerko has ever been while giving an interview.

Yes, KW and Ozzie fighting didn't make Dunn, Rios, and Beckham hit bad but a bad environment is never a good thing to have. People drift off in negative environments and stop caring. Sure looked like it last year.

Madvora
02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
I love Paulie. I love that for the first time in years we don't have the off the field drama....

Wait until we finally get rid of KW before you give the all-clear.

Madvora
02-28-2012, 02:52 PM
That was probably the most controversial Konerko has ever been while giving an interview.

Yes, KW and Ozzie fighting didn't make Dunn, Rios, and Beckham hit bad but a bad environment is never a good thing to have. People drift off in negative environments and stop caring. Sure looked like it last year.
Konerko used to open his mouth way too much when he first started. I remember his saying a lot of stupid ****. I'll try to find more examples.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50745
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52230

jdm2662
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Konerko used to open his mouth way too much when he first started. I remember his saying a lot of stupid ****. I'll try to find more examples.

Yes. He became more likeable when he became a great player who kept his mouth shut... But, I don't have a problem with these comments.

GoGoCrede
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM

Wow, I can't imagine him making those kinds of comments today. His image has really evolved.

02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow those threads are epic!!:gulp:

tstrike2000
02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
He had trouble keeping his mouth shut his first 5 or 6 years here, but he's done a lot better since then.

Jerko
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
TALK MORE Konerko. Those 2 threads are from 2005. :tongue:

TDog
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
He had trouble keeping his mouth shut his first 5 or 6 years here, but he's done a lot better since then.

Konerko was critical of Frank Thomas about a decade ago. Of course, they played the same position (until late in his career, Thomas made it clear he didn't like DHing). But it wasn't as if he was holding press conferences to air his grievances. Reporters ask him questions. Most of his answers would be fairly mundane, but stories are built around the more interesting answers.

I don't have any problem with Konerko and never have.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Paulie at the Tribune says the Sox can have a successful year without making the playoffs and I agree. 82 wins for this bunch would absolutely be a "success" in relative terms.

Lip

Hitmen77
02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Paulie at the Tribune says the Sox can have a successful year without making the playoffs and I agree. 82 wins for this bunch would absolutely be a "success" in relative terms.

Lip

White Sox Baseball: We can have a successful year without making the playoffs! :duck:

Paul is right. Not only a decent amount of wins for this squad, but it would be a success if players like Zach Stewart, Chris Sale, and Viciedo have good seasons that they can build upon for 2013.

DonnieDarko
02-28-2012, 05:27 PM
...why do so many people talk about Zach Stewart like he's got a chance? I mean, he only had one or two good starts last year (one of them was almost legendary, I'll grant you), while the rest were craptacular at best. I don't even know if the guy can be a 5th starter in the AL!

Man, I just do not like what I've seen from him at all. I keep seeing his name and all I get are shivers of fear down my spine.

SoxSpeed22
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
...why do so many people talk about Zach Stewart like he's got a chance? I mean, he only had one or two good starts last year (one of them was almost legendary, I'll grant you), while the rest were craptacular at best. I don't even know if the guy can be a 5th starter in the AL!

Man, I just do not like what I've seen from him at all. I keep seeing his name and all I get are shivers of fear down my spine.Even though I think Stewart is better as a reliever too, pitchers learn more as their careers go on. There's a chance that he could have learned a few things this offseason about getting guys out and could have polished his changeup a bit. There are plenty of pitchers with worse stuff than Stewart who made it in the majors. He just has to figure out how to use his stuff better.

raven1
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Lip

That might be true if that is where they finish at the end of the year, but unfortunately anything but a reasonably good start that keeps the team in contention through July might trigger a "white flag" dump of key players (Floyd, Thornton, A.J., maybe even Konerko) that would doom any chance at even a .500 season. On the other hand, if they are in first place or close they might actually become buyers to fill any holes, bolster the bullpen, etc.

In other words, if they don't have a good record halfway through the season the team will probably never be given a chance to recover, especially if attendance drops dramatically & triggers a fire sale.

doublem23
02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Even though I think Stewart is better as a reliever too, pitchers learn more as their careers go on. There's a chance that he could have learned a few things this offseason about getting guys out and could have polished his changeup a bit. There are plenty of pitchers with worse stuff than Stewart who made it in the majors. He just has to figure out how to use his stuff better.

Right, plus I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he's had a full year with Cooper. Jose Contreras was absolutely awful in his first two seasons mixed between the Yankees and Sox before he found his groove halfway through the 2005 season. I don't think Stewart has nearly the ceiling of Contreras, who was legitimately the best pitcher in the AL from July 2005-July 2006, but I could realistically see him as a good option at the back end of the rotation. That 5th starter spot is important, too.

palehozenychicty
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Paulie was definitely more loquacious earlier in his career. But they are comments which come from the heart. I can live with that.

As for his prediction on the team, that's fine. We'll see. I think they'll be interesting to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

TheVulture
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow, I forgot the term "apaulogist" was part of the WSI vernacular.

Jurr
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Apaulogists....forgot about that one.
The vitriol for Crede and Rowand was also plentiful.

Watching guys like Rios has left me too exhausted to bring the hate.
Let's hope this newer incarnation of the Sox is at least a bit more entertaining.

The good part about those teams in early WSI days was the fact that they may have been mediocre, but they seemed to care. They just found new ways to implode. The last two years have been draining.

DirtySox
02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Lip

I'd argue that the amount of wins is irrelevant. Growth from Beckham, Morel, Dayan, Sale, Flowers, and Reed would be what I view as success. It's all about the kids and the future at this point. Reaching some arbitrary win amount while missing the playoffs does nothing for me.

SI1020
02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow, I forgot the term "apaulogist" was part of the WSI vernacular. I was having a pretty good day until I scanned both of those threads. Heaven help you if you go against the herd. Yes, PK would have been better served at times earlier in his career by shutting up, but talk about overkill. He's done mostly all right for us in the interim I'd say.

doublem23
02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
The good part about those teams in early WSI days was the fact that they may have been mediocre, but they seemed to care. They just found new ways to implode. The last two years have been draining.

Oh yeah, those late 90s, early 00's teams had no talent but they played hard and were fun to watch. The past 2 years, everytime the Sox fall down by 2-3 runs I don't even think they have a chance to come back. They would just roll over.

russ99
02-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I find it a bit convenient explaining everything away of last year to the previous coaching staff as many veteran players have done this spring.

The only problem with that is if we end up with the same issues, they then only have themselves to blame.

JB98
02-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I was having a pretty good day until I scanned both of those threads. Heaven help you if you go against the herd. Yes, PK would have been better served at times earlier in his career by shutting up, but talk about overkill. He's done mostly all right for us in the interim I'd say.

There were times on this board where it was sin to like Paul Konerko. The accepted groupthink was that we should trade Paulie and give Ross Gload an opportunity. What an embarrassment that line of thinking was.

JB98
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I find it a bit convenient explaining everything away of last year to the previous coaching staff as many veteran players have done this spring.

The only problem with that is if we end up with the same issues, they then only have themselves to blame.

Last year was still Guillen's fault. He quit on the team in May, so the players quit also.

BigKlu59
02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Last year was still Guillen's fault. He quit on the team in May, so the players quit also.

Perfect storm last year to spiral... Once Dunn and Rios hit the skids and became an albatros, there was no way the team could overcome giving up 9 outs a game and make magic happen. Ozzie kept tossing gasoline on the burning dead nag for effect, but as you say, the rest of the team played out the string.

BK59

wassagstdu
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Ozzie never quit on the team. He was forced out. You could say that KW was pushing him out by May, but to say that he quit on the team (because he continued to play Dunn?) in May is just nonsense.

doublem23
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Ozzie never quit on the team. He was forced out. You could say that KW was pushing him out by May, but to say that he quit on the team (because he continued to play Dunn?) in May is just nonsense.

Well that all depends on how you've watched the last few years unfold and who you blame for the mess this team is in right now, but I definitely agree with JB's assessment of Ozzie's management last year, which seemed like he knew he wasn't planning on being back in 2012 and was basically just cashing his paycheck. The team came off very reflective of the attitude he set; no fire, no fight, just passing the time.

And, to be fair, Ozzie did quit on the team the last week of September. Sure, everything was done by then, but he didn't even have the desire to sit through 2 more games of crap.

PatK
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM
The local media outcry, led by Dave Kaplan and Steve Rosenbloom, has been a complete joke made even worse by their obvious love of all things Cubbie.

And it's a shame hearing Brandmeier jumping on with it, which is no doubt because he's on the Cubs' flagship station.

shingo10
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
The local media outcry, led by Dave Kaplan and Steve Rosenbloom, has been a complete joke made even worse by their obvious love of all things Cubbie.

And it's a shame hearing Brandmeier jumping on with it, which is no doubt because he's on the Cubs' flagship station.

This isn't a Cubs vs Sox thing but it pisses me off that everyone worships the ground Theo walks on and buys into his "we are just laying the foundation" stuff but when Konerko says essentially the same thing everyone flips out. The Chicago media can be so damn embarrassing sometimes. Not one person who was actually there and part of the interview session with Konerko had a negative thing to say about it. So the other people just need to shut the hell up.

jdm2662
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM

David Kaplan is the biggest Cubbie Loving tool of them all. However, Roosembloom is far from one of them. He's a basement blogger who only writes stuff that sounds cool.

PatK
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
David Kaplan is the biggest Cubbie Loving tool of them all. However, Roosembloom is far from one of them. He's a basement blogger who only writes stuff that sounds cool.

cool to him maybe.

**** for anybody that has half a brain

ghostface36
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes. He became more likeable when he became a great player who kept his mouth shut... But, I don't have a problem with these comments.
he became more likeable as the white sox got worse? that makes sense

spawn
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
he became more likeable as the white sox got worse? that makes sense
Seemed to be a pretty good player when they won the World Series. :shrug: