PDA

View Full Version : How does this **** get published?

sox230
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0228-haugh-cubs-chicago--20120228,0,3442208.column

This article embodies every reason I hate the Cubs and I hope they rot in hell. I guess I more hate the Tribune than the Cubs. And people wonder where the paper gets the name Cubune from? If this isn't a blatant ad selling Theo and the "northside baseball museum" than I don't know what it. But hey, Sox fans are the bitter, jealous ones because we aren't popular. Well how did the Cubs get popular? Every other popular team throughout every sport has gotten popular because they WIN. Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers, Celtics...winner, winner, winner, winner winner. Every time I say the Cubs got popular through media exposue by an immoral, unethical media outlet that thrives upon a conflict of interest. When I say this, Cubs fans get so defensive telling me I'm in denial. "Articles" like this are proof to me that I'm not the crazy one.

hi im skot
02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Rough morning?

doublem23
02-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Spring training fluff... I read it on the train this morning and quickly forgot about it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
The Cubs have a GM that wants to win, and a new manager that wants to win. IIRC, they got these same articles written when Hendry took over, when Dusty, Piniella and Quade all got hired too. They're undefeated in 2012 - as is every other MLB club.

I'm optimistic about the White Sox - Dunn is thinner, Peavy says he feels better, Gavin's confident and Flowers is competing with AJ for the catching spot - but none of it matters.....until Opening Day.

raven1
02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Happy feel-good articles with no actual content are nothing new & really quite harmless. It's simply the paper catering to a substantial audience that isn't looking to be challenged or be forced to think, an escape from the unpleasantness in rest of the news. Don't worry, this optimistic Cubs team & their fans will very likely be getting a harsh reality check once the season starts, and will hopefully fade from the news as the summer wears on.

jdm2662
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Um, this is par for the course for every team every season. You've never read a fluff training camp story?

I'm sure David Haugh appreicates you posting the link, too.

cws05champ
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
In almost every local paper around the country you will see this come spring time:

> This guys is in the best shape of his life.
> That guy is going to have a huge bounce back year
> That minor league guy is making a huge push to be on the team
> Change in culture from the previous year
> Team working on the fundamentals and playing "The right way"

Golden Sox
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
With all the negativity thats been posted on this site pertaining to the upcoming 2012 White Sox season, is there any White Sox fan out there who would trade this White Sox team for the 2012 Cubs Team? At least the White Sox have pitching and some decent defense. The bad guys have neither. Our season will be determined by our offense. If we hit we will have a good year. If we don't hit,we won't have a good year. As far as the media bias in this city that favors the Cubs, I've stopped getting upset over this years ago. What has always got me is how stupid of a fan base the Cubs have. Most of them will believe the nonsense that was printed in the Tribune.

kittle42
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
With all the negativity thats been posted on this site pertaining to the upcoming 2012 White Sox season, is there any White Sox fan out there who would trade this White Sox team for the 2012 Cubs Team? At least the White Sox have pitching and some decent defense. The bad guys have neither. Our season will be determined by our offense. If we hit we will have a good year. If we don't hit,we won't have a good year. As far as the media bias in this city that favors the Cubs, I've stopped getting upset over this years ago. What has always got me is how stupid of a fan base the Cubs have. Most of them will believe the nonsense that was printed in the Tribune.

I think both sides of town accept that 2012 is likely to be a lost season. In that respect, yes, I'd take the Cubs team, because I think they will end up looking better financially and turnaround-wise in 2013.

asindc
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
I think both sides of town accept that 2012 is likely to be a lost season. In that respect, yes, I'd take the Cubs team, because I think they will end up looking better financially and turnaround-wise in 2013.

What about beyond 2013?

C-Dawg
02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
...how stupid of a fan base the Cubs have. Most of them will believe the nonsense that was printed in the Tribune.

"This is the year!!!!"

DumpJerry
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
But hey, Sox fans are the bitter, jealous ones because we aren't popular.
I'm glad you're not perpetuating that stereotype.

doublem23
02-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Right, says the guy who can't help bring up the Cubs in every thread about the NL Central.

soltrain21
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Right, says the guy who can't help bring up the Cubs in every thread about the NL Central.

http://i.imgur.com/U2utP.gif

PatK
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
The Cubs have a GM that wants to win, and a new manager that wants to win.

Last time I checked, so do the Sox (albeit not a new GM). Yet it seems mostly like doom and gloom.

DumpJerry
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
They're in the NL Central. Minor detail.

doublem23
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
They're in the NL Central. Minor detail.

:rolleyes:

That still doesn't mean they need to be wedged into every thread, like say, this guy, where 15 posts went by without even the slightest whiff of the Cubs until a certain someone had to bring them up for no apparent reason.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132929

I don't ****ing care if you do it, but it's pretty hypocritical to call someone out for being just as petty and stereotypical.

JB98
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
In almost every local paper around the country you will see this come spring time:

Yeah, there's a lot of column inches to fill between now and opening day. Most beat writers will stick to these tried and true themes.

soltrain21
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
:rolleyes:

That still doesn't mean they need to be wedged into every thread, like say, this guy, where 15 posts went by without even the slightest whiff of the Cubs until a certain someone had to bring them up for no apparent reason.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132929

I don't ****ing care if you do it, but it's pretty hypocritical to call someone out for being just as petty and stereotypical.

He also did it in the Power Ranking thread in the Clubhouse.

TDog
02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

That has been true for quite a while with just a few exceptions. In Jerome Holtzman's No Cheering in the Press Box, a 1974 book about history's most noted baseball writers and their craft, this comes out. Part of it is that there really isn't anything to write about, except for injuries and players working through minor tweaks that sometimes are interpreted as injuries. Yet reporters go down to spring training and have to write stories. They offer the fan base what they want to hear.

For Cubs fans, if there is no substantial news, the stories are dripping with optimism. An exception is White Sox coverage because there is such a large segment of the White Sox fan base that won't put up with optimism. With the White Sox, with the exception of 2006, perhaps, you tend to get more negative fluff, or at least fluff that people will interpret as presaging doom for the upcoming season.

I'm sure there are Cubs fans who believe this is a solid story.

kittle42
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
There's a nice article about Addison Reed today.

How does this **** get published?

Hitmen77
02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
There's a nice article about Addison Reed today.

How does this **** get published?

It's because the Cubune figures the word "Addison" will make everyone think about Wrigley.

DSpivack
02-28-2012, 07:39 PM
It's because the Cubune figures the word "Addison" will make everyone think about Wrigley.

You jest, but my cousins in California named their daughter Addison as he is a big Cub fan. They just had a son and named him Jackson; I am not sure if they're big fans of the south Loop.

When she was born, I joked that my first born will be named 35th.

Brian26
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
You jest, but my cousins in California named their daughter Addison as he is a big Cub fan. They just had a son and named him Jackson; I am not sure if they're big fans of the south Loop.

Just don't name him "Night Train".

GoGoCrede
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM

I think you could get away with Shields. Or Comiskey. Kind of.

DSpivack
02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I think you could get away with Shields. Or Comiskey. Kind of.

Nope, 35th it is, at least for the first-born. I think of USCF as on 35th more than Shields or Wentworth, similar to Wrigley identifying as on Addison before Clark, Waveland, or Sheffield.

GoGoCrede
02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Nope, 35th it is, at least for the first-born. I think of USCF as on 35th more than Shields or Wentworth, similar to Wrigley identifying as on Addison before Clark, Waveland, or Sheffield.

I was thinking in terms of not having the kid get shoved into a locker every day for being named a number. :smile:

DSpivack
02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I was thinking in terms of not having the kid get shoved into a locker every day for being named a number. :smile:

Pfft. Tough luck, kid.

DumpJerry
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Depending on how the delivery goes, your wife might want to name the kid Big Hurt.

GoGoCrede
02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Depending on how the delivery goes, your wife might want to name the kid Big Hurt.

:kneeslap:

DSpivack
02-28-2012, 09:17 PM

:rolling:

TaylorStSox
03-05-2012, 01:03 AM

A buddy has a kid named Addison too. Guess what his last name is... he's a huge Cubs fan. I thought it was pretty clever and gave him an LOL.

sox230
03-29-2012, 12:25 AM
By the way, if the Trib is fair and there are always fluff spring training pieces, would anyone mind telling me when the Sox fluff piece was written this spring?

doublem23
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
They just published one tonight

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0329-white-sox-chicago--20120329,0,3811215.story

kittle42
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
They just published one tonight

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0329-white-sox-chicago--20120329,0,3811215.story

Zing!

sox230
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Um, how was that exactly a fluff piece? It says that Ventura will get advice from some former managers, coaches, etc. If you compare the two "fluff" pieces, one comes off as an advertisement (not to mention it's much longer and written by a columnist) and the other as actual news.

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm almost 25 so its time for me to stop caring about the Cubs in a negative light :)

I hope they have a successful season.

u guys mad?

doublem23
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Um, how was that exactly a fluff piece? It says that Ventura will get advice from some former managers, coaches, etc. If you compare the two "fluff" pieces, one comes off as an advertisement (not to mention it's much longer and written by a columnist) and the other as actual news.

Um, because it's fluff... What do you think Robin Ventura is the first rookie manager in MLB history to ask advice of his old managers? Or that this somehow changes the fact that he's never managed before ever at any level of baseball. The other's news, too, just a guy reporting that optimism is high at Cubs camp this year. That doesn't mean they will be good or bad, just that the players have noticed a different vibe in camp with a new manager. They're both fluff, nothing to them.

doublem23
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm almost 25 so its time for me to stop caring about the Cubs in a negative light :)

I don't see why you have to stop wishing ill upon the Cubs, you just have to do so in a more mature way. :cool:

Milw
03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Goodness gracious, that was a benign article. Calm down. Save your anger for times when the Cubs actually get undeserved attention from the media. It happens frequently; this is not an example.

kittle42
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Goodness gracious, that was a benign article. Calm down. Save your anger for times when the Cubs actually get undeserved attention from the media. It happens frequently; this is not an example.

Seriously - this thread is completely out of whack.

Nellie_Fox
03-31-2012, 12:48 AM

I hope they have a successful season.

u guys mad?Why? What does age have to do with it? I'm almost 63, and I don't want them to have a successful season.

gobears1987
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Hating the Cubs is a fun past time and one that no one needs to give up with age.

Is anyone going to seriously say they didn't enjoy the 2003 NLCS?

doublem23
03-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Why? What does age have to do with it? I'm almost 63, and I don't want them to have a successful season.

Oh yeah... I guess I don't get as upset when they win as I used to (not sure if that is a byproduct of maturity or 2005) but I am eagerly awaiting the inevitable failure of the Epstein/Hoyer experiment.