PDA

View Full Version : "Ventura sees lots of potential in Jared Mitchell"

rdivaldi
02-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0227-white-sox-bits--20120227,0,4579292.story) by Gonzo.

I see lots of potential too, but his season last year is just impossible to ignore. That ankle injury in 2010 really took the wind out of this kid's sails.

DirtySox
02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
I see a great athlete with plenty of tools that haven't translated to baseball skills yet. As ****ty as the injury circumstances are, it's getting close to a make or break year for him. He needs to significantly improve on his strikeout/contact issues.

I still have no problem with the draft pick. A toolsy up the middle player with All-Star potential if things pan out? Yes please. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Daver
02-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

See Borchard, Joe.

rdivaldi
02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
I still have no problem with the draft pick. A toolsy up the middle player with All-Star potential if things pan out? Yes please. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Agreed. I remember watching him in the CWS and being "wowed" by his bat speed and athleticism, but at the same time looking at his massive strikeout total for that season and thinking "that could be a problem".

DSpivack
02-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Agreed. I remember watching him in the CWS and being "wowed" by his bat speed and athleticism, but at the same time looking at his massive strikeout total for that season and thinking "that could be a problem".

Sounds like Chris Young.

DirtySox
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM

One of Merkin's many fluff spring training pieces noted that he's tweaked his swing mechanics during instructs. We will see soon enough. I imagine he will be pushed to AA via the typical aggressive Sox way.

rdivaldi
02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
One of Merkin's many fluff spring training pieces noted that he's tweaked his swing mechanics during instructs.

I always have a hard time buying into that as well. When you strike out as much as Jared does, a lot has to be mental or instinctual. A new approach can do wonders.

DirtySox
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
See Borchard, Joe.

Indeed. It's truly aggravating that the Sox haven't produced a legitimate position player with a 1st round pick since Aaron Rowand in 1998.

cards press box
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Indeed. It's truly aggravating that the Sox haven't produced a legitimate position player with a 1st round pick since Aaron Rowand in 1998.

I know that Gordon Beckham has struggled at the plate but doesn't he count as a legitimate position player?

DirtySox
02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I know that Gordon Beckham has struggled at the plate but doesn't he count as a legitimate position player?

He's been below average every season since his rookie year. I don't consider him a success unless his bat picks up. The defense is great and I value it significantly, but man, a .633 OPS is just abysmal. I might be inviting the ire of Daver, but his glove can only carry him so far.

Harry Chappas
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
He's been below average every season since his rookie year. I don't consider him a success unless his bat picks up. The defense is great and I value it significantly, but man, a .633 OPS is just abysmal. I might be inviting the ire of Daver, but his glove can only carry him so far.

In fairness to Beckham, in most organizations, he wouldn't have probably seen the field in '09 or '10 so last year would have been his rookie year. At 25, there's still time of him to turn it around. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I can see him becoming a .270/18/80 type of player which is pretty good for a second baseman that is a plus fielder.

DirtySox
02-29-2012, 06:30 PM
In fairness to Beckham, in most organizations, he wouldn't have probably seen the field in '09 or '10 so last year would have been his rookie year. At 25, there's still time of him to turn it around. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I can see him becoming a .270/18/80 type of player which is pretty good for a second baseman that is a plus fielder.

I would absolutely take that from Beckham, and I haven't given up on him yet. But until then I can't quality Beckham as a success.

WhiteSox5187
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I would absolutely take that from Beckham, and I haven't given up on him yet. But until then I can't quality Beckham as a success.

It's down right impossible to consider him a success at this point but I agree with you that it's too early to write him off as a failure. This is a big year for him though as he is now away from Walker, we'll find out if Beckham's struggles are related to or independent of Walker.

Harry Chappas
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
It's down right impossible to consider him a success at this point but I agree with you that it's too early to write him off as a failure. This is a big year for him though as he is now away from Walker, we'll find out if Beckham's struggles are related to or independent of Walker.

This year will be referendum on Walker (posthumous). I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckham bounce back along with a few others. Hitting coaches are probably overrated but in this case, I think the organization needed a new voice. We shall see...

cards press box
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I think that Ventura is right. Mitchell looks fully healthy and has shown much improvement offensively and defensively this spring. I am very encouraged.

October26
03-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I think that Ventura is right. Mitchell looks fully healthy and has shown much improvement offensively and defensively this spring. I am very encouraged.

Mitchell had a nice game yesterday (March 17th). It was the first time I've seen him play this year (thanks to the webcast). Mitchell's speed is fun to watch as we saw in yesterday's game when he laid down a perfect bunt/base hit. I look forward to seeing more of Jared Mitchell this spring.

TheVulture
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Mitchell through 23 games for the greatest city in Alabam':

.342/.469/.547 and 4 2b, 5 3b, 1 HR and 18/21 BB/K in 79 AB. The Ks are still pretty high but none the less an improvement from last year when he struck out 1 in 3 ABs. Hopefully that rate will continue to improve. The walk rate is a vast improvement - almost 1 in 5 PA compared to about 1 in 10 at Winston-Salem.

Nutriaitch
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Mitchell through 23 games for the greatest city in Alabam':

.342/.469/.547 and 4 2b, 5 3b, 1 HR and 18/21 BB/K in 79 AB. The Ks are still pretty high but none the less an improvement from last year when he struck out 1 in 3 ABs. Hopefully that rate will continue to improve. The walk rate is a vast improvement - almost 1 in 5 PA compared to about 1 in 10 at Winston-Salem.

i just stopped by to check on JM's progress.
glad to see Jared having a good start to the season.

i may try to go see him play a game or two.
Birmingham ain't a bad drive from here, but they'll be on a road swing when I head out that way (SEC tourney).
might have to try to catch him when they travel to Jackson, MS.

thomas35forever
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Good read from Garfien:
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/White-Sox-seeing-the-real-Jared-Mitchell?blockID=703856&feedID=10338

palehozenychicty
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Good read from Garfien:
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/White-Sox-seeing-the-real-Jared-Mitchell?blockID=703856&feedID=10338

No offense to De Aza, but if Mitchell becomes the real deal, I'll be ecstatic.