PDA

View Full Version : We want to discuss Hawk Harrelson, not parking

chisoxfanatic
02-25-2012, 05:34 PM
As it has been for years, this is absolutely insane and I've complained about it before. So, gas is going to be bumping somewhere around $5 a gallon and now it's $25 to park your car--it's unbelievable. I think I'm going to be watching a lot more baseball from the comfort of Procol's ol' easy chair this year...
That's not necessarily a bad thing, at least in my opinion. I've always enjoyed listening to Hawk Harrelson...even when the baseball is bad. There's just something about Hawk that makes the TV viewing more enjoyable for me!

SephClone89
02-25-2012, 05:44 PM
That's not necessarily a bad thing, at least in my opinion. I've always enjoyed listening to Hawk Harrelson...even when the baseball is bad. There's just something about Hawk that makes the TV viewing more enjoyable for me!

Hawk is terrible when the Sox are good and even worse when they're bad.

gobears1987
02-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Watch other announcers and then get back to me on how "terrible" Hawk is.

GoGoCrede
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Already done that and I still don't like him.

SephClone89
02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Already done that and I still don't like him.

This. A lot of Hawk's critics here are the ones who have mlb.tv and HAVE heard a lot of other commentators.

chisoxfanatic
02-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Not in my book. I watched some games late last season just so that I could hear Hawk for a few more times before the season ended. Hawk is my 4th favorite sports broadcaster of all time (behind Pat Foley, Ed Olczyk, and Doc Emrick).

DirtySox
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM

I do every year. It makes him seem even more horrible by comparison. Just awful.

TDog
02-25-2012, 09:50 PM

I watch a lot of Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow on local television, which throws in some Jon Miller, who does more radio. I think they are very good. I don't like Ray Fosse, part of the A's broadcast team, but Duane Kuiper's little brother, Glen Kuiper, is a pretty good as Fosse's partner.

I see a lot of other teams' local television, although not a lot of any other specific teams. It's rare (although it happens, as with Yankees games) that I find an announcer I dislike as much as I dislike Ken Harrelson.

jdm2662
02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Hawk Harrelson is beyond awful. That is all.

Brian26
02-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming many people are too young to remember the Gary Thorne era of Sox baseball or perhaps choose to forget it.

ZombieRob
02-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm assuming many people are too young to remember the Gary Thorne era of Sox baseball or perhaps choose to forget it.
Good one

GoGoCrede
02-25-2012, 10:25 PM

I was only a year old, so yeah. And since he only lasted a year, I'm guessing he wasn't a roaring success?

Daver
02-25-2012, 11:48 PM

I'm getting back to you, now what?

HaroMaster87
02-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Geez you all are a miserable bunch. At least Hawk has a thought and/or opinion on things...the vast majority of announcers are bland talking heads that do nothing but shill for the owner and never have a thought on anything...Ill take my guy Hawk over anyone. He's been with me since day one....

dickallen15
02-26-2012, 06:40 AM

I agree. Hawk sometimes pisses me off when he refuses to criticize something obvious, or is giving a ridiculously optimistic slant on something, but I love him. I've also read he was no so much the company shill when he worked in Boston. If you tune him in in the 3rd inning, you can tell by his tone how the game is going. The same people who rip him for being a homer, rip Joe Buck because he's not excited enough when the White Sox won the WS. Who do they want? Len Kasper?

Frater Perdurabo
02-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm OK with the homerism. But Hawk's eyesight seems to be getting worse, and he talks over and interrupts Stone. He's become a caricature of himself and he needs to think about reducing his work load toward retirement in the next 3-5 years before he becomes an embarrassment.

October26
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
I am a very sentimental person and I have a special place in my heart for Hawk Harrelson. Hawk was awful as the Sox GM but other than that has been loyal to the Sox franchise for over 25 years. The only time I get irritated is when Hawk starts with his Red Sox stories. Hawk is definitely aging (let me know which one of us isn't) and he's not as crisp as he once was. However, I'll take Hawk over any of the bland national announcers. The thing with Hawk is that you know that he loves the White Sox. I love Hawk's homerism and his "hawkisms."

LITTLE NELL
02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm a fan of Hawk and think it's great that he is a fan of the Sox.
If we want to compare, he his head and above the guys I watch down here in Florida, Dewayne Staats with the Rays and Rich Waltz with the Marlins, I don't know which one is worse.

soltrain21
02-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Geez you all are a miserable bunch. At least Hawk has a thought and/or opinion on things...the vast majority of announcers are bland talking heads that do nothing but shill for the owner and never have a thought on anything...Ill take my guy Hawk over anyone. He's been with me since day one....

...You don't think Hawk is a mouthpiece for the owner?

jdm2662
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
...You don't think Hawk is a mouthpiece for the owner?

Seriously, that's one thing he does well these days. I don't fault him for it. JR signs his checks. It's usually not wise to question your boss publicly...

Parrothead
02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
The Hawk shoudl have retired / been fired years ago. He has not been been an decent annoucer for years and makes watching the Sox a burden. he is turn down the sound tv / unlistenable.

SephClone89
02-26-2012, 09:25 AM
The Hawk shoudl have retired / been fired years ago. He has not been been an decent annoucer for years and makes watching the Sox a burden. he is turn down the sound tv / unlistenable.

At least we have a great radio team as an option!

tstrike2000
02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Having listened to Hawk and Drysdale as a youngster and then Hawk and Wimpy, I have a soft spot for Hawk and always appreciated his homerism and enthusiasm for the team. I think October26 touched on some of the negatives. He's definitely not without fault with his Boston stories and sometimes letting his ego get the best of him. That part seemed to have happened more when DJ was in the booth with him.

However, like Brian26 said, if a guy like Gary Thorne or ex-players like Mike Huff or Frank Thomas are some of the alternatives, then no thanks.

TommyGavinFloyd
02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I love Hawk and I realize it more and more when I watch a Tigers/Indians game on MLB.tv and get exposed to the bevy of ****ty, bland announcers that are around the league. We are lucky to have him.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM

I've heard most announcers on MLB.TV and Hawk is the worst. People in other cities who watch Sox games on MLB.TV are probably shocked when they hear him. I hope they don't base their opinion of Sox fans on him.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
At least we have a great radio team as an option!

I still miss John Rooney.

October26
02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Having listened to Hawk and Drysdale as a youngster and then Hawk and Wimpy, I have a soft spot for Hawk and always appreciated his homerism and enthusiasm for the team. I think October26 touched on some of the negatives. He's definitely not without fault with his Boston stories and sometimes letting his ego get the best of him. That part seemed to have happened more when DJ was in the booth with him.

However, like Brian26 said, if a guy like Gary Thorne or ex-players like Mike Huff or Frank Thomas are some of the alternatives, then no thanks.

When I first heard Gary Thorne's voice back in the 1980's, I was intrigued. I liked Thorne's deep voice (my dream broadcaster for the Sox would be James Earl Jones, btw, really love that voice!). My father commented that he liked Thorne's voice as well. And then we heard Gary as the Sox broadcaster and it was like he was talking about toast. Dull. Bland. Blah. Don't get me wrong, Thorne is a great broadcaster but the White Sox were not his passion. Mike Huff does not have the voice and while he seems to care a bit more about the Sox, he is also dull and boring to listen to.

I still miss John Rooney.

John Rooney was my favorite Sox broadcaster of all time. Listening to some of Rooney's calls, especially those from 2005, still gives me spine-tingling, goose bumps. Hawk is number two on my list and I'm enjoying his days with the White Sox for as long as he is with us. Love the Hawkeroo! :D:

TaylorStSox
02-26-2012, 12:00 PM

That's the problem. Hawk hasn't had an original thought for 20 years. You could replace him with a soundboard and nobody would notice. I dislike Hawk so much that I warmed up to DJ. That's bad.

SOXSINCE'70
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM

I chose to forget it.

Brian26
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
I've heard most announcers on MLB.TV and Hawk is the worst. People in other cities who watch Sox games on MLB.TV are probably shocked when they hear him. I hope they don't base their opinion of Sox fans on him.

This is hyperbole. The worst? Really?

Worse than Dick Enberg for the Padres? Mike Shannon? DeWayne Staats? Gary Cohen? Andy Maser, Jerry Remy, Gary Thorne, Ron Darling, Rex Hudler, Rod Allen, Victor Rojas, the baffoons with the Yankees (Sterling Abomb for Arod), Bryan Dolgin (yes him), Milo Hamilton, Chip Caray, Eric Collins, etc?

tstrike2000
02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Worse than Dick Enberg for the Padres? Mike Shannon? DeWayne Staats? Gary Cohen? Andy Maser, Jerry Remy, Gary Thorne, Ron Darling, Rex Hudler, Rod Allen, Victor Rojas, the baffoons with the Yankees (Sterling Abomb for Arod), Bryan Dolgin (yes him), Milo Hamilton, Chip Caray, Eric Collins, etc?

Can't forget Buck and McCarver.

Fenway
02-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Michael Kay is the worst..... (Yankees TV) How do you make THIS mistake?
f9R3AIRw3pM

and when he starts babbling
lMaknhVjNOs

but radio is much,much worse
XWkoN6xQDn8

TDog
02-26-2012, 02:44 PM

I get the sense that it's more opinion than hyperbole. I think Ken Harrelson is worse than Dick Enberg, for example. And I don't consider that hyperbole. I wouldn't say Harrelson is worse than Tim McCarver, however. Tim McCarver has such a grating voice on top of his other faults. There are plenty of bad announcers. I once watched a Ray Fosse rant about how an umpire was wrong for calling a force out because the player on defense touched the base with his throwing hand instead of his glove hand. And it cost the A's the game.

And it isn't hyperbole to point out that everywhere I've been in the last dozen years or so, when people find out I'm a White Sox fan, often because I'm wearing a White Sox cap, they tell me how much they hate Ken Harrelson. Often they tell me that they hate the White Sox because they hate Ken Harrelson.

The irony is that many White Sox fans who hate Ken Harrelson do so because he doesn't hate, or at least isn't vocal about hating, White Sox management.

DSpivack
02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I get the sense that it's more opinion than hyperbole. I think Ken Harrelson is worse than Dick Enberg, for example. And I don't consider that hyperbole. I wouldn't say Harrelson is worse than Tim McCarver, however. Tim McCarver has such a grating voice on top of his other faults. There are plenty of bad announcers. I once watched a Ray Fosse rant about how an umpire was wrong for calling a force out because the player on defense touched the base with his throwing hand instead of his glove hand. And it cost the A's the game.

And it isn't hyperbole to point out that everywhere I've been in the last dozen years or so, when people find out I'm a White Sox fan, often because I'm wearing a White Sox cap, they tell me how much they hate Ken Harrelson. Often they tell me that they hate the White Sox because they hate Ken Harrelson.
The irony is that many White Sox fans who hate Ken Harrelson do so because he doesn't hate, or at least isn't vocal about hating, White Sox management.

While I am no fan of Hawk, I love hearing this from fans of other teams. Why would I care what other fans think of anything involving the White Sox, whether it be stereotypes of fans, what they think of Sox management, what they think about Sox announcers? I've heard enough stupid comments around Chicago and elsewhere to care what others think.

Fenway
02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
We are lucky in Boston

TV Don Orsillo is certainly not a homer and Jerry Remy is candid. Orsillo has impressed many nationally with his TBS playoff work.

Radio Joe Castiglione enters his 30th year and Dave O'Brien is good as is Dale Arnold who covers when Obie does an ESPN game.

The White Sox have a philosophy on broadcasters where they seem to prefer ex-jocks and I suspect the reason is that with the exception of Stone - none of the other White Sox announcers would get hired by anyone else in MLB.

No other team in baseball has all ex-jocks as a crew.

Frontman
02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Harry's been dead for over a decade, Santo passed away last year. Two listens that were HORRID on baseball coverage in their later careers. Harrelson isn't there yet.

Harrelson is ok. Yes, a homer, and yes; sometimes can't stop talking about Catfish Hunter (oh, how will he work that in now that Mark is gone?)

Hawk might be a homer, but at least he's our homer.

Golden Sox
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Didn't Hawk wear out his welcome in Boston as a Announcer for being too critical of the team and Boston management? Sure he's a homer now, but most team announcers are now. Didn't the bad guys on the northside not renew the contract of Chip Caray after the 2004 season because of his critical comments about the 2004 Cubs? They knew that once Chip Caray wasn't renewed Steve Stone wouldn't come back.

TDog
02-26-2012, 04:39 PM
While I am no fan of Hawk, I love hearing this from fans of other teams. Why would I care what other fans think of anything involving the White Sox, whether it be stereotypes of fans, what they think of Sox management, what they think about Sox announcers? I've heard enough stupid comments around Chicago and elsewhere to care what others think.

I find the way fans here feel about the Red Sox and Cubs and their fans are pretty much the way many fans in other cities feel about the White Sox and their fans because of Ken Harrelson (in level of disdain, not in the reasons for it). That is an observation. You don't have to care about it.

When I was living in Alaska, there was an announcer on the local radio station who after the baseball scores were read, he would add, "just as long as the White Sox lost." He was pretty much silent on the White Sox through most of the 2005 season, though.

Fenway
02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Well calling the GM and part-owner of the team a moron on the air doesn't help job security. :tongue:

In 1981 the Red Sox did not have veto power on announcers at WSBK-TV would not fire Hawk. However the team told channel 38 that when the contract came up for renewal if Hawk was still on the air they would go somewhere else.

Didn't Hawk wear out his welcome in Boston as a Announcer for being too critical of the team and Boston management? Sure he's a homer now, but most team announcers are now. Didn't the bad guys on the northside not renew the contract of Chip Caray after the 2004 season because of his critical comments about the 2004 Cubs? They knew that once Chip Caray wasn't renewed Steve Stone wouldn't come back.

southwstchi4life
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Love Hawk. Just remember DJ on TV. Now that's awful. Just listen to the radio and hear "we gots some work to doooooooooooooooooo" and then you will appreciate the hawkarooo

chicagowhitesox1
02-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I find the way fans here feel about the Red Sox and Cubs and their fans are pretty much the way many fans in other cities feel about the White Sox and their fans because of Ken Harrelson (in level of disdain, not in the reasons for it). That is an observation. You don't have to care about it.

When I was living in Alaska, there was an announcer on the local radio station who after the baseball scores were read, he would add, "just as long as the White Sox lost." He was pretty much silent on the White Sox through most of the 2005 season, though.

Why did this guy not like the Whitesox?

SephClone89
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

I find the way fans here feel about the Red Sox and Cubs and their fans are pretty much the way many fans in other cities feel about the White Sox and their fans because of Ken Harrelson

Honestly I'm surprised Alaskans follow baseball at all.

DSpivack
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Honestly I'm surprised Alaskans follow baseball at all.

That annual midnight tournament seems kind of cool.

Lip Man 1
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Just speaking for myself I really couldn't care that other fans in other cities and other media people don't like the White Sox. What I'm upset about is that anybody in the media would show that professionally.

That's totally uncalled for.

Lip

TDog
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM

It was the radio station that did a Mariners game every Sunday, which was pretty much the only radio station I could listen to, the other alternatives being country and non-sports syndicated talk radio. The local cable complany, which I couldn't afford, carried all the Mariners games. As I understood the announcer's grievances with the White Sox is that the fans were so uniquely arrogant, which, I am sometimes told Out West, is the impression people get nationally from watching the local television coverage. My boss in Wisconsin, before I moved to Alaska, told me he hated White Sox fans because he he hated Ken Harrelson.

If you like Ken Harrelson, you don't care. Disliking his announcing, I sort of resent that people judge me and my team based on their feelings toward Ken Harrelson. It's not fair, but neither are the judgments many at WSI have toward Red Sox and Cubs fans.

By the way, baseball where I lived in Alaska was bigger than football, although I didn't live in a community with a team in the huge summer amateur league. The huge sport that overshadowed everything, though, was hockey, but not the NHL The citiy's parks and recreation department had adult leagues, including one for women.

Milw
02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm a big Hawk fan, but if you think he doesn't shill for the White Sox front office... :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Why did this guy not like the Whitesox?I've been told that Alaska is rife with Cubs fans.

kufram
02-27-2012, 05:38 AM
I think TV baseball announcers are a tiresome lot and generally just act like any fan watching the game. Hawk being a homer is fine.... that's what he is supposed to be.... but Hawk being Hawk is is more tiresome than some of the others. Radio announcers can be better because they have to talk about what is happening on the field more. Stone at least brings some insight.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
As Pale Hose George often says, "if you want to know what JR is thinking, just listen to Hawk."

I think that's an accurate statement.

Lip

eriqjaffe
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Didn't Hawk wear out his welcome in Boston as a Announcer for being too critical of the team and Boston management?I seem to remember that Hawk, at one point, had been castigated by the Sox for being too critical, as well, which led to his prolonged silences when things weren't going well.

thomas35forever
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
A study by Fan Graphs lists the Sox TV team as last out of 31 (the extra one is the second Dodgers team).
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/27/report-white-sox-ranked-last-by-fans-in-tv-broadcast-popularity/

PKalltheway
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
A study by Fan Graphs lists the Sox TV team as last out of 31 (the extra one is the second Dodgers team).
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/27/report-white-sox-ranked-last-by-fans-in-tv-broadcast-popularity/
Doesn't surprise me in the least, but many of those people who put Hawk at the bottom obviously have not sat through multiple Yankee broadcasts on YES featuring Michael Kay. Hawk is very polarizing, but I still enjoy listening to him.

SI1020
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/27/report-white-sox-ranked-last-by-fans-in-tv-broadcast-popularity/ If they say it then it must be so.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Someone mentioned this earlier but I think much like Harry Caray in his later years, Hawk is well on his way to becoming a caricature. I have heard old games from the 1990s when he was with Wimpy where he was actually somewhat informative. Now it's just the same stories about Yaz and Ted Williams or constantly defending the management, "What's the hardest uniform job in baseball?" He won't tolerate any sort of dissent or difference of opinion which is why Stone seems to be phoning it in, any time Stone tries to make an observation on the game (that can be critical at times) Hawk cuts him off and goes on to tell his own story. When the Sox are winning Hawk is fine to listen to but I would imagine that anyone would be okay to listen to when the Sox are winning, when they are losing it is nothing but nonstop excuses.

bigdommer
02-27-2012, 03:43 PM

I saw a poll that said they were the best. It was a hypothetical guesstimate from some general opinions from some casual fans.

Seriously, any study like this is worthless. First, local media and fans, whether we like it or not, are skewed toward the club up North. Second, perception of the White Sox on a national level is poor, as they are viewed as a little step brother on a bad side of town with a hot tempered manager with drunken fans. Third, unless they poll the guy signing the checks, who cares.

The Immigrant
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I like the Hawk for sentimental reasons, but if another owner took over the team I think we would very quickly have a new play-by-play man.

Frontman
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

I just visited the site of said study. I've seen senior citizens make a better website with godaddy.com's webpage tools.

Take the "study" with a grain of salt when it comes from a group that can't figure out bleached bone isn't the best color for a web page background....

SephClone89
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I just visited the site of said study. I've seen senior citizens make a better website with godaddy.com's webpage tools.

Take the "study" with a grain of salt when it comes from a group that can't figure out bleached bone isn't the best color for a web page background....

Are you kidding me? They're one of the foremost baseball sites on web in terms of analysis. I have no problem with the layout.

Frontman
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Are you kidding me? They're one of the foremost baseball sites on web in terms of analysis. I have no problem with the layout.

Um, no I'm not. And just because they can quote numbers about baseball on the field does not mean they understand a single aspect of population, demographics, or fan interest.

And yes, presentation means everything in the information business. You might have accurate information; but if you present it like garbage, that's how it will be received.

Seriously, go look at their site layout, and look at WSI's/flyinsock's layout. Night and day. If they are "foremost" on information as you say they are, why is it that a fan-ran website is more insightful, and far more appealing to read?

shingo10
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM

My favorite part is the quote that says something to the effect of "Well this isn't a reflection on Steve Stone..." Great, so you're little study is so poorly constructed that based on the fact that there was Hawk hate it automatically pulled Stone down?

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy Steve Stone getting knocked off his high horse. He has this great reputation because he plays up to talk radio hosts and the media but the last few years he has been doing nothing but being an arrogant smartass in the booth.

Brian26
02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Which isn't to say I don't enjoy Steve Stone getting knocked off his high horse. He has this great reputation because he plays up to talk radio hosts and the media but the last few years he has been doing nothing but being an arrogant smartass in the booth.

I mentioned it about a month back. Stone has been a clown in the booth for the last two years and spends more time preparing material for his weekly Score segments than trying to market the team through the game broadcasts.

Hopefully someone kicked ass over the winter, because at Soxfest I heard him say "we" when referring to the team, which would be a deviation from his form over the past two years when he's acted like a national broadcaster in exile who happens to be working Sox games by accident.

Daver
02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I mentioned it about a month back. Stone has been a clown in the booth for the last two years and spends more time preparing material for his weekly Score segments than trying to market the team through the game broadcasts.

Hopefully someone kicked ass over the winter, because at Soxfest I heard him say "we" when referring to the team, which would be a deviation from his form over the past two years when he's acted like a national broadcaster in exile who happens to be working Sox games by accident.

If I had to share a booth with Ken Harrelson I would do the same thing, who wants to be associated with a fool?

Brian26
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
If I had to share a booth with Ken Harrelson I would do the same thing, who wants to be associated with a fool?

Stone shared a booth with Harry for 15 years, so you'd think he would have known what he was getting into.

jdm2662
02-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Stone shared a booth with Harry for 15 years, so you'd think he would have known what he was getting into.

The difference is Stone was allowed to talk and anaylize the game as he is capable of doing when Harry was on his last legs. While Harry was quite brutal, Stone was able to carry the broadcast and do what he does best.

Hawk has to be the show, and he never lets Stone get into much detail on anything. He is much to blame for the situation than Stone is. Have you ever been in a situation that no matter what you do, you simply can't win? I have, and hell going through it right now. I simply just do what I'm required to do and that's it. That's the situation Stone has been in the last two years. This is why his broadcasts are meh, and his Score segements are must listen. His talents are being wasted on the broadcast.

I will fully admit both men have massive egos, and I predicted this probably wasn't going to work from the get go. But Hawk has been quite brutal for years, while Farmer and Stone together was actually not bad. I found myself muting the TV many times in 2008. I dont have that option anymore...

Golden Sox
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Didn't the White Sox extend Hawks contract during the off season? If I'm not mistaken he signed for another 5 years. Long live the Hawk!

Carneyman14
02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Love Hawk. So entertaining. I have mlb.tv so I can watch Sox games from Oklahoma. All the other anouncers are so dry, boring. I can see if you are not a fan of the SOX you would hate Hawk, but he's on our side. haters gonna hate.

rockinrobin23
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
i watch a lot of baseball and i think hawk is one of the best..scully is by far my fav but iam partial to the old school guys harwell, buck,scully. to bad they are gone. marty and thom Brennaman are really good to listen too..

eriqjaffe
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
i watch a lot of baseball and i think hawk is one of the best..scully is by far my fav but iam partial to the old school guys harwell, buck,scully. to bad they are gone. marty and thom Brennaman are really good to listen too..Scully still calls Dodger home games and road games against NL West teams.

rockinrobin23
02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
yep ur right he does i should have worded that in a diff way...

gobears1987
02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Scully still calls Dodger home games and road games against NL West teams.

I honestly think Scully wants to go out calling a game. He is never going to retire, and to be honest, who can ever ask him to do so?

kufram
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Love Hawk. So entertaining. I have mlb.tv so I can watch Sox games from Oklahoma. All the other anouncers are so dry, boring. I can see if you are not a fan of the SOX you would hate Hawk, but he's on our side. haters gonna hate.

I've been a fan of the White Sox 50 years. I can't stand Hawk. I think he is an embarrassment half the time. The rest of time he's telling stories I've heard before.

Frontman
02-28-2012, 02:52 PM
On a side note on Scully. The past few spring trainings, MLB Network will air a Dodger game that Scully's broadcast is silmucast with it. Watch their programming schedule, because if you haven't had the pleasure of listening to Scully call a game, its an opportunity to hear him do a game.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Not a surprise. Here's a similar article from GQ last year where they say the White Sox announcers are the worst.

http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201007/five-best-worst-mlb-broadcast-booths#slide=10

TommyGavinFloyd
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Didn't the White Sox extend Hawks contract during the off season? If I'm not mistaken he signed for another 5 years. Long live the Hawk!

I hope their next move is to announce they have acquired the same sort of technology used in Futurama and the head of Hawk Harrelson will be announcing Sox games for all eternity.

Noneck
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I hope their next move is to announce they have acquired the same sort of technology used in Futurama and the head of Hawk Harrelson will be announcing Sox games for all eternity.

I dont know about that but currently he appears to be a puppet with the puppet master upstairs pulling its strings.

Wsoxmike59
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm in the "I llllllluuuuuuuuvvvv" the Hawk camp. I've seen or heard my share of bad Sox announcers through the years. (Gene Osborne, Early Wynn, and the rotating color men WSNS gave Harry in the Mid 70's....Lou Brock, J.C. Martin etc...)

Like others stated before I loved John Rooney the best, and I think I'd put the late great Lorne Brown 2nd in my fav Sox announcers through the years.

I like listening to the Hawk on TV, and when I'm away from the TV, I think Farmer and DJ do a great job at conveying the action on the field.

P.S. Stone is the best analyst in the game, I'm glad he finally came back to the southside.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Or they can make a recording of the five moronic catch phrases he uses over and over again, and just play those. Gas; he gone.

chicagowhitesox1
02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm in the "I llllllluuuuuuuuvvvv" the Hawk camp. I've seen or heard my share of bad Sox announcers through the years. (Gene Osborne, Early Wynn, and the rotating color men WSNS gave Harry in the Mid 70's....Lou Brock, J.C. Martin etc...)

Like others stated before I loved John Rooney the best, and I think I'd put the late great Lorne Brown 2nd in my fav Sox announcers through the years.

I like listening to the Hawk on TV, and when I'm away from the TV, I think Farmer and DJ do a great job at conveying the action on the field.

P.S. Stone is the best analyst in the game, I'm glad he finally came back to the southside.

I like Steve Stone alot but it seems he never has a chance to say anything insightful because Hawk always cuts him off. I think he's the best analyst too.

SephClone89
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Watching ISU at the MVC tournament in St. Louis, with John Rooney on the call. Feeling simultaneously angry and nostalgic.

It's on CSN if anyone wants to join me.

LongLiveFisk
03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
You must have been in a debating mood when you created this thread, Heather. :lol:

soxnut1018
03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Or they can make a recording of the five moronic catch phrases he uses over and over again, and just play those. Gas; he gone.

And don't forget about Yaz.

October26
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM

Great post - I had forgotten about Lorne Brown, thanks for reminding me. Lorne is number 3 on my list behind John Rooney and Hawk Harrelson.

You must have been in a debating mood when you created this thread, Heather. :lol:

And kudos to chisoxfanatic for starting this thread. 82 posts later, this thread along with Hawk Harrelson are still awesome! :D:

TomBradley72
03-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Don't forget Bob Waller- the he was Harry's 2nd best partner (after Piersall) while he was with the White Sox.

SephClone89
03-03-2012, 09:38 AM

And kudos to chisoxfanatic for starting this thread. 82 posts later, this thread along with Hawk Harrelson are still awesome! :D:

Actually, she didn't create this thread.

PatK
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I dunno, after having XM and mlbtv for years, I think most baseball announcers are pretty bad.

There's a couple of greats (such as Rooney), but most are "meh"

LongLiveFisk
03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
I dunno, after having XM and mlbtv for years, I think most baseball announcers are pretty bad.

There's a couple of greats (such as Rooney), but most are "meh"

Yeah, I don't really overly critique them because I can take them or leave them. Believe me, I would be totally fine just seeing the game on TV and hearing the crowd noise in the background.

Bob Roarman
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Um, no I'm not. And just because they can quote numbers about baseball on the field does not mean they understand a single aspect of population, demographics, or fan interest.

And yes, presentation means everything in the information business. You might have accurate information; but if you present it like garbage, that's how it will be received.

Seriously, go look at their site layout, and look at WSI's/flyinsock's layout. Night and day. If they are "foremost" on information as you say they are, why is it that a fan-ran website is more insightful, and far more appealing to read?

Do you know what you're talking about? As far as site traffic goes, going by baseball sports web sites, out of almost 4,000, they are in the top 10. That means they beat every other team's website (among other non-team specific sites) except the Yankees. I think they're doing something right. Or maybe that damn background color is keeping them out of the top 5, who knows.

FoulTerritory
03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I used to be a big fan of Hawk, but I've turned on him. He just seems to get more and more irrational every year. I would say its been about 4 years now of Hawk being a pretty bad announcer. Constantly whining about the umpires. Untimely optimism mixed with occasional oppressive gloom. Irrational disdain for sabermetrics. And oh yeah, Brent Morel is going to be a helluva player.

Meh. Hawk's ship has sailed.

TaylorStSox
03-04-2012, 06:08 PM
He was friends with Ted Williams. Ted Williams is frozen.

Frontman
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Do you know what you're talking about? As far as site traffic goes, going by baseball sports web sites, out of almost 4,000, they are in the top 10. That means they beat every other team's website (among other non-team specific sites) except the Yankees. I think they're doing something right. Or maybe that damn background color is keeping them out of the top 5, who knows.

So, they get traffic when it comes to baseball stats. And they have great information on baseball THE GAME. ERA, pitch location, value over replacement player, etc.

That doesn't mean they know a single thing about baseball FANS.

And, to make a further point, what criteria did they use to cite and rank the announce teams? If its how they interpreted comments; then that really isn't something scientific or measurable now, is it? Look at this thread alone. Quite a few negative comments about Hawk at the surface, but that does not mean those same people would put another broadcaster above or below Harrelson in an actual ranking system now, does it?

And where pray tell did you get that its in the top 10 out of 4,000 baseball related websites? That sounds more of a just a shot-in-the-dark number, versus anything measurable.

Bob Roarman
03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Of course it's measurable.

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/category/Top/Sports/Baseball

They bounce in and out of the top 10 on a day to day basis. Again, they have to be doing something right. If they weren't "well received" by enough people as you seem to think, I guess mostly because of the background color of their site, they'd never even show up that high on that list.

I'm not even really sure what you're arguing or why or that you even do at this point. It was if it was presented like garbage, it'll be received like garbage, which that was proven untrue. So now it's they know a lot about baseball but they don't know anything about baseball fans.

Huh?

Frontman
03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Of course it's measurable.

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/category/Top/Sports/Baseball

They bounce in and out of the top 10 on a day to day basis. Again, they have to be doing something right. If they weren't "well received" by enough people as you seem to think, I guess mostly because of the background color of their site, they'd never even show up that high on that list.

I'm not even really sure what you're arguing or why or that you even do at this point. It was if it was presented like garbage, it'll be received like garbage, which that was proven untrue. So now it's they know a lot about baseball but they don't know anything about baseball fans.

Huh?

Wait, didn't you say they were always top 10, should be top 5? Now you say they bounce in and out of the top 10. Which is it?

And, my point is that they haven't provided any substance statistically on this ranking on announcers. Again, professional surveys rely on quantitative, not subjective interpretation to illustrate information. This list of broadcasters shows no scientific or mathematical fact.

Its a list, illustrating why they ranked them the way they did by providing only 2 or 3 comments provided by fans. That's purely subjective.

That isn't a professional way of determining how to rank anything.

Daver
03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Because the guy that owns these forums is married to a professional site designer.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Wait, didn't you say they were always top 10, should be top 5? Now you say they bounce in and out of the top 10. Which is it?

And, my point is that they haven't provided any substance statistically on this ranking on announcers. Again, professional surveys rely on quantitative, not subjective interpretation to illustrate information. This list of broadcasters shows no scientific or mathematical fact.

Its a list, illustrating why they ranked them the way they did by providing only 2 or 3 comments provided by fans. That's purely subjective.

That isn't a professional way of determining how to rank anything.

And that is one visually, dull, bland-looking site.