PDA

View Full Version : Parking Increase

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Parking is now $25 up from $23.

ChicagoG19
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM

That's the way to get people to the park.

GoGoCrede
02-25-2012, 03:05 PM

I thought it was already $25? I guess I rounded up mentally.

Fenway
02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
That's the way to get people to the park.

Who sets the price - team or state?

kittle42
02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Public transit rules!

SephClone89
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Who sets the price - team or state?

In this case I think some new city tax is the reason for the parking increase.

skobabe8
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Public transit rules!

So does street parking!

kittle42
02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
So does street parking!

Agreed. There's always a way around paying to park - if you are willing to walk 6-8 blocks. Which isn't much.

chisoxfanatic
02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
So does street parking!
And walking!

amsteel
02-25-2012, 03:50 PM
25$ on weekdays, 23$ on weekends:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tailgating

skobabe8
02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tailgating

Umm..:scratch:

siugrad25
02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I haven't paid to park in years and I'm coming from Plainfield. We always find street parking and get in the extra exercise. Until there's a day I can't walk anymore, you won't see me paying $25 to park.

kevingrt
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
So does street parking!

Only time I pay is when I want to tailgate.

Dibbs
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
$25 to park at U.S. Cellular is crazy.

ohiosoxfan
02-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Am looking for some help from some of the veteran street parkers. . . as someone who comes into town from Ohio 2-3 times a season, where is the best street parking (safety, etc) available? I believe a lot of the parking west of the ballpark is residential permit parking. I understand if you don't want to give up any secret spots but if you can pass along the best areas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

skobabe8
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Am looking for some help from some of the veteran street parkers. . . as someone who comes into town from Ohio 2-3 times a season, where is the best street parking (safety, etc) available? I believe a lot of the parking west of the ballpark is residential permit parking. I understand if you don't want to give up any secret spots but if you can pass along the best areas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I have a secret spot I won't give up, but I always recommend to people they park at Cobblestones Grill. I forget the deal exactly, but as long as you grab a drink you can park for free.

chisoxfanatic
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Anything north of 29th Street is not zoned. So, you can park just north of 29th & Wells (do NOT park ON 29th Street), and walk the 6 blocks to the ballpark.

Procol Harum
02-25-2012, 05:50 PM
As it has been for years, this is absolutely insane and I've complained about it before. So, gas is going to be bumping somewhere around $5 a gallon and now it's $25 to park your car--it's unbelievable. I think I'm going to be watching a lot more baseball from the comfort of Procol's ol' easy chair this year...

ssirish317
02-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Agreed. There's always a way around paying to park - if you are willing to walk 6-8 blocks. Which isn't much.

They have really cramped down on the streets that are west of the park in the last 1-2 years. There are very few that are not permit parking during games anymore.

ohiosoxfan
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. . . when you are driving this far its about $90-$100 in gas for the round trip so if I can save $25 on parking, it helps out. Does anyone have information on the areas east of the Dan Ryan??

ChiSoxFann
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
They have really cramped down on the streets that are west of the park in the last 1-2 years. There are very few that are not permit parking during games anymore.

They absolutely have. I used to park west of Halsted by Catcher's Bar. Since Catcher's closed they put up the restricted parking signs down that street. Years ago you could park anywhere west of Halsted.

Lately I've been parking south of 39th Street, but even there you have to watch out for private parking signs.

kevingrt
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM

I park at 29th and Canal. It's safe, nice neighborhood, and it is only about a .75 mile walk. Perfect on a nice summer night.

DumpJerry
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Parking east of the park has been zoned for two years now.

Park anywhere along the Green or Red Line or the Metra line that stops at 35th Street and take the train down.

gobears1987
02-25-2012, 07:16 PM
I haven't paid to park since 2005. I always found street parking.

DumpJerry
02-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a secret spot I won't give up, but I always recommend to people they park at Cobblestones Grill. I forget the deal exactly, but as long as you grab a drink you can park for free.
Most of the bars and restaurants do this. Buy a drink and get a one-day parking permit for that day.

ohiosoxfan
02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks again to everybody for their input. I will probably look at the areas north of the park this year as recommended!

Fenway
02-25-2012, 09:10 PM

:?:

DoItForDanPasqua
02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Public transit rules!

Agreed. The city should increase the parking tax citywide and give it to the CTA as they are doing in the Loop. There need to be disincentives towards everyone driving so much.

TaylorStSox
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Agreed. The city should increase the parking tax citywide and give it to the CTA as they are doing in the Loop. There need to be disincentives towards everyone driving so much.
This. I have no sympathy for those too lazy to use one of the several alternatives.

Harry Potter
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
The $2 increase is due to the new tax effective January 1st. Most of the parking garages I use downtown (Streeterville) for work have raised their prices $1-$2 since the first of the year.

Thankfully the White Sox offered season ticket holders the chance to lock in the old pricing if they paid their balance in full before 12/31/2011 so for my full season plan, I have $18 parking for one final season.

kittle42
02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
This. I have no sympathy for those too lazy to use one of the several alternatives.

Amen. There is little reason the great majority of those who park have for not being able to just park at a train station for free and pay the $2.25 each way to get to the park.

Easy, easy solution.

Brian26
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Amen. There is little reason the great majority of those who park have for not being able to just park at a train station for free and pay the $2.25 each way to get to the park.

Easy, easy solution.

There are probably a fair number of people from outside the city who are either unfamiliar or intimidated by this (perhaps not physically "lazy" to walk, but rather "lazy" to investigate the possibility), or it may not make practical sense from a timing standpoint, especially if they are bringing younger kids along.

I can get down to the Cell in 20 minutes if I drive. I usually take the L, and it takes an hour door-to-door. That extra 80 minutes might be worth $20 to someone.

thomas35forever
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
This is getting ridiculous. We know we're already paying for an inferior product this year, so why are they shaking us down more?

DSpivack
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
There are probably a fair number of people from outside the city who are either unfamiliar or intimidated by this (perhaps not physically "lazy" to walk, but rather "lazy" to investigate the possibility), or it may not make practical sense from a timing standpoint, especially if they are bringing younger kids along.

I can get down to the Cell in 20 minutes if I drive. I usually take the L, and it takes an hour door-to-door. That extra 80 minutes might be worth $20 to someone.

Also, that $2.25 is $4.50 each way, per person. If you have 5 people in the car, it makes just as much sense to drive.

amsteel
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Also, that $2.25 is $4.50 each way, per person. If you have 5 people in the car, it makes just as much sense to drive.

I'm much better at riding the train after a day of tailgating than driving.

DSpivack
02-26-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm much better at riding the train after a day of tailgating than driving.

That's a reason to have a DD, not a reason not to carpool to a game; also, how can you really tailgate without at least one car there?

Cat Thief
02-26-2012, 04:07 PM

They are closing down or closed already

.:(:

BainesHOF
02-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I used to park west of Halsted by Catcher's Bar. Since Catcher's closed they put up the restricted parking signs down that street.

Why did Catcher's close? I use to park and drink there all the time until about three years ago.

kittle42
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
There are probably a fair number of people from outside the city who are either unfamiliar or intimidated by this (perhaps not physically "lazy" to walk, but rather "lazy" to investigate the possibility)

Then I'm with the Sox on this - screw 'em.

Milw
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
If you'd been mugged on the Green Line, as I have, you might feel differently about disincentivizing driving.

ChiSoxFann
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Why did Catcher's close? I use to park and drink there all the time until about three years ago.

I have no idea. It closed sometime between Sept. 2010 and April 2011. When I drove by the bar to park I noticed an orange sign in the window saying it was closed and they had just put the "No Parking During Ballgames" signs up on that residential street next to it.

kittle42
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
If you'd been mugged on the Green Line, as I have, you might feel differently about disincentivizing driving.

If I got mugged on the red line tomorrow, I'd take it the next day. Odds and what not.

skobabe8
02-26-2012, 10:49 PM
They are closing down or closed already

.:(:

That sucks. I didn't give them too much of my cash since I have lived north of the park the past 4 years, but I tried to tell people how good their sandwiches were. They were in a tough location.

soxfan2504
02-26-2012, 11:10 PM

The more people riding on the 'L', the more potential witnesses to to such crimes (and people who can gang up on such criminals), the more it disincentivizes said crimes.

Milw
02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
The more people riding on the 'L', the more potential witnesses to to such crimes (and people who can gang up on such criminals), the more it disincentivizes said crimes.
It was a packed car.

doublem23
02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
In this case I think some new city tax is the reason for the parking increase.

The $2 increase is due to the new tax effective January 1st. Most of the parking garages I use downtown (Streeterville) for work have raised their prices $1-$2 since the first of the year.

No, the new city tax is only on parking in the "Central Business District" which I believe is bounded by North Ave., Halsted, Roosevelt Rd., and the lake. However far south it goes, Bridgeport is definitely not in those boundaries.

JB98
02-27-2012, 01:48 AM
If I got mugged on the red line tomorrow, I'd take it the next day. Odds and what not.

Yep. I wouldn't be deterred either. I always use public transportation to go to Sox games. To me, it only makes sense to drive if you can split that parking fee four ways. Rare is the game where I'm going with three other people, so it's just more cost effective to use the train system.

gobears1987
02-27-2012, 05:19 AM

Stop using math to make a logical conclusion!

Seriously though, public transportation is definitely a good example of diminishing returns when you have a group going to a game.

Driving and parking a half mile away is still the best way to go. You just have to know where to park.

Harry Potter
02-27-2012, 08:23 AM
No, the new city tax is only on parking in the "Central Business District" which I believe is bounded by North Ave., Halsted, Roosevelt Rd., and the lake. However far south it goes, Bridgeport is definitely not in those boundaries.

Looks like we've been had! Thanks for the clarification Doub - I wasn't aware of those boundaries.

soxfan2504
02-29-2012, 04:22 AM

It was a packed car.

Gotcha. Now that I think about it for a bit, I guess what I originally said can only apply as long as people can see throughout the most of the car they're riding in; once it gets so crowded that no one can move (or see very far), you're heading back to square one.

If I may ask, were you by chance riding in or near the front car, or towards the back of the train? I only ask as that's what I usually did when riding the West Side and South Side lines before moving out west, to at least be in a spot that would feel more safe, if not actually be more safe.

SephClone89
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Looks like we've been had! Thanks for the clarification Doub - I wasn't aware of those boundaries.

Actually...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-08/news/ct-met-emanuel-congestion-fee-20111109_1_parking-fee-parking-tax-parking-ordinance

doublem23
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Actually...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-08/news/ct-met-emanuel-congestion-fee-20111109_1_parking-fee-parking-tax-parking-ordinance

Maybe you're right, when it was originally announced, the plan was only to add the tax to the Central Business District.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-12/news/chi-emanuel-hire-more-police-and-end-shell-game-on-vacancies-20111012_1_mayor-rahm-emanuel-today-police-vacancies-employee-head-tax

Must have got snuck it in for the whole city while no one was looking.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM

I understand that, and maybe I would feel the same way, but one incident doesn't mean that it's not generally safe. I would bet there are more per capita deaths/injuries in cars then there is on public transportation. I ride the L nearly every day and have been on the train at all times of night and I have never seen a crime being committed. I know that it happens, and the Green Line going west is particularly bad, but I don't think that it happens frequently enough that driving is a better option.

Jason82807
02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Last year, the metered parking on 35th street was 2 hour parking until 9pm, and no restrictions after 9pm. So if you find a spot earlier than 7 p.m. for a 7:10 game time, you risk getting a violation, but if you find a spot at 7:01, can pay for 2 hours and even though you'll be there more than 2 hours, the parking restrictions expire at 9 so you're OK.

Because the parking rules effectively prevent fans from parking on 35th st. before 7p.m., the chances of finding a spot right after 7 were pretty decent. Anyone know if it's still the same deal?

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Last year, the metered parking on 35th street was 2 hour parking until 9pm, and no restrictions after 9pm. So if you find a spot earlier than 7 p.m. for a 7:10 game time, you risk getting a violation, but if you find a spot at 7:01, can pay for 2 hours and even though you'll be there more than 2 hours, the parking restrictions expire at 9 so you're OK.

Because the parking rules effectively prevent fans from parking on 35th st. before 7p.m., the chances of finding a spot right after 7 were pretty decent. Anyone know if it's still the same deal?

As long as you park on 35th and not a side street like Federal or Dearborn.

Quentin08
06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Anything north of 29th Street is not zoned. So, you can park just north of 29th & Wells (do NOT park ON 29th Street), and walk the 6 blocks to the ballpark.

.. thinking about going to this afternoon's game. I just searched for "free parking" and found this thread. Can anyone confirm whether or not you can still park for free just north of 29th & Wells? I looked at the street on Google Street View and couldn't find any space available. Is that typical or are there usually spaces available on the street?

FielderJones
06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
.. thinking about going to this afternoon's game. I just searched for "free parking" and found this thread. Can anyone confirm whether or not you can still park for free just north of 29th & Wells? I looked at the street on Google Street View and couldn't find any space available. Is that typical or are there usually spaces available on the street?

If you live in Chicago, why not take public transportation?

CoopaLoop
06-09-2012, 01:19 PM

I park on Michigan right before 34th street every game. Not zoned and an easy walk.

Quentin08
06-09-2012, 01:24 PM
If you live in Chicago, why not take public transportation?

I used to live in the city, now I live in the burbs. Not as easy to get to the park nowadays.

I park on Michigan right before 34th street every game. Not zoned and an easy walk.

Thanks, CoopaLoop! I'll try 34th and Michigan.. I used to park at 35th and Michigan, but I know they recently zoned that area.

CoopaLoop
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks, CoopaLoop! I'll try 34th and Michigan.. I used to park at 35th and Michigan, but I know they recently zoned that area.

Yeah it was nice when you could park right in front of the school there right before 35th. But they just moved us back a block.

I'll be there too. First chance to see Sale live as a starter. Very pumped.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
There is no way of knowing with street parking. And Google street view doesn't tell you anything either regarding parking space availability, because it was a one-time snapshot. The only thing you can see on street view that would be beneficial to you would be street signs.